Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse shopping red flag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jax View Post
    Am I the only one who's shocked that horses are braided when you're showing up to try them? I've been to some pretty high end sales barns around here with some pretty pricey horses and I've never seen one of them braided. Scrubbed and hoof polish? Yes. Braiding? Not once.

Maybe we're just not as fancy as some circuits, or is this a breed-specific thing? Not to totally derail the conversation but...
    Depends on what you mean by braided....mane braided over to lay flat....lots do that but then pull and comb out before showing the horse so if someone is early, they may be still braided over. FWIW...mine are never braided!
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I've shown up to some barns with the horse spit shined, braided and the whole 9. Others not so much. And the spectrum in between. If I had a grey horse to sell, I'd wash it if conditions permitted, or do my best non-full bath cleaning. Why not show the horse looking its best? I'd also probably do it close to arrival of the potential buyer unless I could reliably trust the horse to hang out in the stall a little while (possibly while the rest of the barn is out) and stay clean. Depending on where the OP was, weather conditions, if the horse was clipped, etc., being wet 20 minutes out isn't necessarily weird. I live in a low humidity place, and provided it's warm enough to bathe and go out in the sun, they dry a lot faster than in other climates.

Comment

Fact that they were hand grazing to dry usually is only a red flag that horse is a piggy. It wouldn’t raise a flag to me that they had washed a horse prior to showing it....especially the piggy sort.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
          Am I the only one who's shocked that horses are braided when you're showing up to try them? I've been to some pretty high end sales barns around here with some pretty pricey horses and I've never seen one of them braided. Scrubbed and hoof polish? Yes. Braiding? Not once.

Maybe we're just not as fancy as some circuits, or is this a breed-specific thing? Not to totally derail the conversation but...
          It is a quarter horse thing. I sold a nice hunter type QH once and the owners insisted it be braided for the trial. I shrugged and did it, and the purchaser didn't seem to find it odd at all.

Comment

I'm over here chuckling at all of the things we do to prepare horses to be seen when we know they are so strongly attracted to dirt . Typically I'll groom, clean tack, brush mane and tale, maybe clip.

BUTTTTT, when I showed my TB to his leasor, the only day we could work was a Monday. I came straight from work and was about 5 minutes later than the leasor. He was NOT clean, he had a scrape on a leg, and I still needed to change into my riding clothes. Needless to say, there was no question about whether he was prepped .

OP, I can see what made you concerned because of your past experiences. Sounds to me like they had a dirty grey horse and waited until the warmest part of the day to wash it and let it dry in the sun. I had 2 grey horses at a time once. Unbelievably frustrating, and there seems to be some correlation between how light they are and how much they love dirt and manure.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Ok so the horse has gone sour on jumping either through pain or incompetent riding. Nothing like a bad beginner or lesson program to make a horse wary of being thumped on over jumps

If you want to do learn jumps on a horse don't buy one that has gone sour on jumping and developed a dirty stop or a runout on crosspoles

The absolute risk is obviously lower than doing Grand Prix but I have certainly known people to be pretty seriously injured jumping two feet because the horse had a dirty stop or ran out, and they didn't have the seat to stick it or the strength to school through and make it happen. Coming off over the head of a horse onto a jump pole can cause damage even if it's just a cross rails.

The horse you are looking for is hard to find because it is an absolute treasure. A good minded trail horse that can also happily do an uncomplicated trip around some two foot six jumps from time to time? Those horses are in huge demand for juniors and for better quality lesson programs.

Indeed, if you have some trainer help you might even be well off buying a nice ranch broke QH and teaching him to jump. Good QH have no problem with lower level jumps, they have good canters, and they often have good brains
              I ended up buying a western / ranch quarter horse who had never seen a trot pole before and we’re now jumping 3ft and haven’t hit his limit yet (we’ve hit mine though 😂). He’s awesome on trails, brave to jumps (will jump anything you point him at- and takes care of you with funky distances), and has an amazing brain. I highly recommend going the ranch QH route!

Comment

I think it’s funny how many people on here insist that they need to see the horse from pasture to grooming to tack up... I worked for a couple of trainers who did a lot of sales, we literally never had a single client ask for that. The horses were always groomed, sometimes braided, tacked up and waiting in the crossties for the clients.

Comment

Slightly off topic- but it sounds like you're looking for a fox hunter or at least a horse trained in that discipline.... steady on trails, able to jump out in the field or in the ring, good with activity, etc. Maybe check out some of the local hunts or call the club masters (I think that's what they're called, forgive me, I'm a Jumper) and see what they have- its different lingo but I bet they would know where to find what you're looking for

ETA: I have a gray too and if I was showing her I would want to bathe her as soon to the appointment as possible because she's has an incredible talent for being disgusting when it counts. Sometimes hoof beats don't mean zebras....

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Cocorona View Post
                    Slightly off topic- but it sounds like you're looking for a fox hunter or at least a horse trained in that discipline.... steady on trails, able to jump out in the field or in the ring, good with activity, etc. Maybe check out some of the local hunts or call the club masters (I think that's what they're called, forgive me, I'm a Jumper) and see what they have- its different lingo but I bet they would know where to find what you're looking for

ETA: I have a gray too and if I was showing her I would want to bathe her as soon to the appointment as possible because she's has an incredible talent for being disgusting when it counts. Sometimes hoof beats don't mean zebras....
                    Thank you that's a good idea! The gray horse I started this thread about was pulled off the market! and will be leased to one of their students. But you all have given me a lot of tips for my horse search.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AlexxSays View Post

I ended up buying a western / ranch quarter horse who had never seen a trot pole before and we’re now jumping 3ft and haven’t hit his limit yet (we’ve hit mine though 😂). He’s awesome on trails, brave to jumps (will jump anything you point him at- and takes care of you with funky distances), and has an amazing brain. I highly recommend going the ranch QH route!
                      That sounds amazing! I will have to expand my search.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JustTheTicket View Post
                        I think it’s funny how many people on here insist that they need to see the horse from pasture to grooming to tack up... I worked for a couple of trainers who did a lot of sales, we literally never had a single client ask for that. The horses were always groomed, sometimes braided, tacked up and waiting in the crossties for the clients.
                        I think it depends on where the horse will be kept. My family has a small farm with livestock and 2-3 horses. Manners are most important to us. A busy boarding barn would be quite a different environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleasurehorsemama View Post

I think it depends on where the horse will be kept. My family has a small farm with livestock and 2-3 horses. Manners are most important to us. A busy boarding barn would be quite a different environment.
                          I’m not sure how a horse that’s been made ready for a client equals no manners? That’s not really related. Our horses were all happy and well behaved, but no clients were demanding to tack up themselves. I guess it was the level of client we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleasurehorsemama View Post

Does a horse not need manners in a busy boarding barn? Can you not evaluate manners on a second appointment? Regardless of reasons, most responsible sellers won’t turn a total stranger loose from catching in the field to test riding and, I assume, cooling out and cleaning up, on their property and they don't have 90 minutes to 2 hours to shadow that person.

That’s something to be negotiated for a second appointment after each side knows the other better and seller knows you are a serious buyer, not one of those people playing games to get free rides. Even see “trainers” hauling clients around masquerading as buyers basically giving a lesson during the test ride. I know, that’s not you but how is seller supposed to know off a phone call, text or email?

There’s as many bogus buyers out there as there are crooked sellers. That is on top of liability concerns means most sellers will say no to anything like that on an initial visit, Later visits, maybe, first visit, nope.
                            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

JustTheTicket and Findeight, I didn't mean to offend anybody. Like I said I don't have a ton of experience shopping at hunter barns. I do not expect to handle the horse myself but I would like to observe it being done. If the horse will not stand quietly, or runs away when being caught, or is in a stall with the wood chewed up all over or evidence of weaving, it's not for me. I wouldn't even waste the seller's time riding it.

I meant our small farm horses are probably handled LESS than a commercial barn. So good manners help them go less feral lol.

Anyway I am new to the forum and do appreciate the responses!

Comment

Manners in horses must be taught. They can be learned and unlearned. They aren't an inherent thing like mind. You can have the most deadbroke kids pony learn that if she stays ten feet away from you there's no catching her on 40 acres. You can have a groundwork wunderhorse that can still go ballistic in hand on a frosty day when other horses are playing in turnout. You can turn most horses into nippy treat hogs in about a week.

If you are going to keep your horses on pasture and handle infrequently I would really recommend getting a horse that has successfully lived like this already.

TB differ a lot. Many are just fine living outdoors. But you don't want to end up with Special Petunia who gets rain rot and scratches and thrush from wet grass and paces off weight because she's agoraphobic and needs to be brought inside to pick her way through 5 lbs of high cal feed twice a day. And the big thing you don't know about a horse in a big hunter barn is how well she will adapt to field life.

Field life is best IMHO, but doesn't always work.

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
                                  Did you ASK? I know everyone here likes to assume that all sellers are liars, but I would still have asked why is horse wet? I'd have also asked when was horse last ridden, did you lunge ahead of time, etc. As my most recent trainer likes to say to me, use your words.
                                  YES! I was just saying on another thread how soooo many of the threads these days are "WWYD/What do you think?" type threads. Why is basic communication not a thing? Just ask why the horse is wet.

Comment

Originally posted by JustTheTicket View Post
                                    Could be too that the clients you experienced had connections to the trainer you worked for. If my trainer knows the trainer or owner of the horse I am looking at, I go in with way less skepticism because I know their relationship exists and needs to continue to exist outside of this one sale.

However, if I am going in rogue or to someone I don't know or my trainer doesn't know, I approach with a bit more caution.

In my experience, I have found that it is pretty easy to gauge who is honest and who isn't. Seller evades my questions, is short with me and the horse and "forgets" important details like when horse's feet were last done? Suspicious. Seller takes me into her house to show me the horse being broke by a Christ Cowboy with horse's flailing, panicked legs smacking the round pen every few strides? I don't think they have much to hide.....

The above are 2 extremes but about 99% of the horse shopping I have done has ended with me finding the seller pretty clearly on one side or the other of the spectrum.

Comment

I owned a grey horse and even if he was bathed after I rode you could still see an even darker area where the saddle pad made him sweat. You could definitely tell he had been worked with the saddle on even if he was soaking wet from a bath afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post
                                        If you're taking the time to bath a horse before a client arrives for a sales appointment, you aren't the person who presents a soaking wet horse out hand grazing.

Yes, I would assume the horse was worked worked shortly before your appointment.

Bad presentation regardless.
                                        But the OP was 20 minutes early.

I'd assume that with a gray horse, they were bathing it for the showing and they got a little "last minute" about that.
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

If I had just bathed a horse for sale, I might just hand graze it. Mostly because the horse may dry faster in the sun/outdoors so they don't show up to a wet horse. Nothing nefarious, just want a clean dry horse as opposed to clean wet horse. Plus, as mentioned, some horses are piggy and once you put that clean wet horse in a stall, it lays down for a good roll.

So no, I don't think it is "bad presentation" either since the OP was early. And, as always, with horses who knows what their day was like. Perhaps this bath got pushed to last minute due to the events/workload of a day at a stable. So I wouldn't have discredited them over such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X