Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

HugesCaroline_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Mounting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting

I am happy to say my wild fire dragon is quickly settling down. We have moved into standing quietly at the mounting block (something she has never done before ever) and today I laid across her back from the mounting block with just her back on track pad on. She did good and stayed calm, as in not taking off any random direction at the speed of light. Granted we got there because when she did something I send her around the round pen and then tried again. Figured it would be easier to convince her to stand quietly and listen to what is asked when the counter offer is working hard. So now I am down to getting on her. As soon as I collect the reins at all or put my foot in the iron or even raise my leg she backs up. She walks forward as soon as I ask her to verbally, but I am wondering what suggestions you have on desensitizing her here. I can put pressure in the iron with my hands, it is only when I actually go to toss myself on. She was a racehorse. Abused badly. I brought her back and she was fabulous for my kids but was a rodeo for me to get mounted but once on, was good and calm. Kids I could just lift up at the time and she loved them. She has been turned out two years and buddy sour but that has dissipated far faster than I expected with daily walks and some round pen when misbehaving. Since she has the memory of an elephant and I am technically restarting her, I want to make sure everything is positive, calm, non threatening and correct so moving forward she is a solid citizen over all areas.

Yes, I know I am rambling. Side effect of my exhausting life. But anyway, going out in the morning and would like to be able to get on and walk around so what suggestions do you have at this point.

I would teach her to stand and wait for you.
    Do some in hand work where you walk and halt.
    Does she wait quietly with you when you halt or does she try to walk off?
    When she consistantly stands and waits then you can transfer this to the mounting block.
    in my opinion, it really is the same skill. Waiting for you to give the next command or aid.
    if she is food oriented then you can try using peppermints and give her a treat when she stands still to be mounted .
    this worked for my greedy horse who would sometimes wait and sometimes wouldn't. Now he won't move until he gets his peppermints.
    Some horse trainers dont like this but I'm for whatever works easiest.
    Hope this helps.
    Certified Guacophobe

Comment

If she was a racehorse, they are used to having riders chucked up on their back, not standing for mounting.

You could try treats when she stands, that can work in some cases.

I've always taught a horse to stand while mounting, though, by starting away from the mounting block. This really only works if you are tall/agile enough, but I gather the reins with the inside one shorter so if they move they just turn in a small controlled circle, then place my foot in the stirrup without putting any weight on it. If they don't move, take it out and let them relax, then do it again. If they move, bounce alongside going in the tiny circle until they stop, then take the foot out and let them relax. Once they let you put a foot in the stirrup without moving, I go to bouncing a bit, same deal, keep with them until they relax. Then bouncing a bit higher. Then going up and leaning across the saddle. Then back to the mounting block to try again.

Basic gist is, even if they move, you aren't going anywhere and you are staying with them until they stop. Which is why being able to keep them turning in a small circle is important, in case of shenanigans you are still able to keep them under control and yourself safe. It's really just a series of baby steps.

Alternatively, if you aren't tall enough, do a similar thing from the mounting block. But since she starts when you put your foot in the stirrup, start with just lifting your foot toward the stirrup. If she moves, calmly put her right back and do it again. If she doesn't move, set your foot back down, hop off the mounting block, and praise her. Then move to putting your foot in the stirrup, just a little. If she moves, put her right back. It might take some time and repetition, and calmly putting her right back where she was over and over until she gets the idea, and you HAVE to remember to completely get off the mounting block and praise her when she does it right.

Comment

Rain Weasley- You early suggestions are entirely too athletic, and not really sensible or safe, particularly the bouncing.

You final suggestion is both safe and sensible, but in any case another pair of patient quiet hands can bu useful. They should come equipped with a quiet demeanor, and lots of treats.

Keep in mind tough, that some OTTB's react negatively to two sets of hands.
        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

As you mention a rodeo, I would be starting from the beginning with long reining and lunging.
          It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Someone on your other thread recommended you consider a "cowboy" type trainer. I would agree. They could sort out this mounting issue with a western saddle (no mounting block) pretty easily. Then transition to you using the block and English saddle.

It is pretty easy to get injured mounting a difficult horse.

Comment

The rider is most vulnerable between the time their foot leaves the ground and their bum hits the saddle.

I start on the ground. I put my knee in the stirrup, and "jump" up. It's awkward, but I am not going to get stuck and if the horse moves I just step down. When the horse is okay with me hanging off his side we move on to the next step.

Next I use a small, low block. I put my knee in the stirrup, jump up, and put my other foot on the block and take my knee out of the stirrup so I'm standing on the block. This is the same as the previous step I am just ending up on the block instead of on the ground.

Next I stand with one foot on either side of the low block and jump up pulling on the saddle as if I were mounting using the stirrup and land on the block. This adds speed to the known action.

When that's good I add the next step putting my knee in the stirrup, and up to lean over the horse, then knee out and slip down to the ground. The repeat of this exercise starts with jumping onto the block from the ground. When that's all good I repeat with my foot in the stirrup.

By the time I swing my leg over the horse they have become accustomed to standing still while human messes around.

I should mention that I'm starting babies and that these steps take days and many repetitions. These steps might be small enough for your horse to understand that you do want her to stand still.

Comment

Originally posted by AnastasiaBeaverhousen View Post
                if she is food oriented then you can try using peppermints and give her a treat when she stands still to be mounted .
                this worked for my greedy horse who would sometimes wait and sometimes wouldn't. Now he won't move until he gets his peppermints.
                Some horse trainers dont like this but I'm for whatever works easiest.
                Hope this helps.
                Even those who aren't interested in using clicker training/treats for other things, often use it for mounting simply because it works so well. Some horses don't really like mints or sugar though, so I take some time to figure out what a horse does like before I start clicker training them. All of mine seem to prefer some kind of grain, or grain based treats.

IMO, if treats don't work then the horse is too anxious/upset to be ready for mounting anyway, so that needs to be addressed first.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                  Rain Weasley- You early suggestions are entirely too athletic, and not really sensible or safe, particularly the bouncing.

You final suggestion is both safe and sensible, but in any case another pair of patient quiet hands can bu useful. They should come equipped with a quiet demeanor, and lots of treats.

Keep in mind tough, that some OTTB's react negatively to two sets of hands.
                  It definitely does take a bit of athleticism. But I wouldn't say its unsafe or insensible at all. I've had to retrain many horses with mounting issues this way, it's a good way to keep control of the situation and get horses used to weird things happening while being mounted. In my experience, the absolute worst horses to mount are the ones that have never been exposed to things going weird while being mounted, like bouncing, shifting, legs scraping over the butt, getting on both sides, etc. The way I do it, there is close to zero chance of getting hurt if the horse does anything unexpected.

Granted, it's about impossible to do with a taller horse, but about 16 hands or smaller (for my height) is fine. But again, its something you have to be careful doing. And as I don't know OP's build/level of athleticism, I might as well throw it out there.

Comment

Daily schooling. My boys had gotten silly about this so we have been in boot camp about it, every ride ever since.

Now I do a pretty logical thing (for me) my mounting block is a 3 step one and I have it so its facing into the corner of the ring so their heads are facing a 90 degree barrier in front of them (about 5' away) with the barn right behind it. So they're looking at home and (hopefully) more inclined to hold still while staring at their house. See attached graphic for better view. The Green parts of the edge are gates, pink is mounting block.

I start with leaning and then 1 foot in and over their back. They MUST stand still for all of this. They do not progress beyond the current question until it's 100% correct. I don't worry about time or "Oh but I have to ride" nope.... we do not pass go do not collect $200 UNTIL each step is done correctly. And if they're fidgety we stick with what they can handle and break it up with a hand walk around the end of the ring until they settle. One is 13 and one is 6 so neither are super green, they have just forgotten their manners and I recognize it's my job to reinstall said manners.

My normal progression would be:

Lean on back
                    Lean with foot in stirrup, most weight on back
                    Stand upright with foot in stirrup full weight and not swing leg over
                    Stand with weight in stirrup and then swing leg over slowly
                    Mount as normal.

Every horse has to remember that the 1 hour of domesticated obedience is not too high of a price for a life of luxury and relatively low expectations.

Em

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Just feed her treats when she stands at the block and make the block a nice place to be.

It's really ok to feed the horse an occasional treat instead of just "working hard" or "working less hard" all the time.
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post

It definitely does take a bit of athleticism.
                        So does training a horse, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post

Hahaha!! love that! But some of us are a bit less athletic and stretchy as we get older, and being vertically challenged with a taller horse can be a problem too! I wish I could still mount a tall horse as well as I could when I was younger. (some days I can, I've tested myself). I've treat trained my horses to stand still using the peppermint method. Works like a charm. They know the minute my butt hits the saddle they will get a peppermint (or once I'm settled). They turn their nose to my foot to look for a treat.

Comment

It does, but you have to admit that mounting up is perhaps the most physically vulnerable position we ever put ourselves in with these beasties.

OP, I'm 5'1" so I'll never be the gal to teach a horse to let me get on from the ground. But I agree with teaching them to wait at the mounting block for as long as you say, no matter what you do up there. At least this horse has been mounted before. That makes this easier. But I have *that mare* who wants to run away from pressure. This was the horse I had to stop and train (and train and train and train) to wait. IMO (and learned from a cowboy who was helping me with a stoic, cold backed, kinda untrustworthy horse), the horse has to make it his responsibility to stand still and *allow you* to climb on. His idea is that we are just too physically vulnerable in that moment to not have a high level of "buy-in" from the horse. Of course, race horses are not required to buy in to standing still for an awkward mount up at all. So chances are that your mare doesn't like it and doesn't yet know that she must/how she can accept it. Notice that the problem isn't just "desensitization." It is more: It is teaching her a skill she genuinely doesn't know yet, it is teaching her tolerance and patience, and it is teaching her how to participate in her own training.

I don't like having more people in the mix. I think it's hard for horses to get "tag teamed" in their training because it's too many sources of pressure/signals/(predators?) to keep track of. I want to be the only variable in the system for them to consider and answer. I also try to do this with a mounting block in the middle of a ring or paddock or round pen. Again, the horse has to stand there because I did something to make that happen. You can do this in a corner, or even a stall (as some old schoolers used to do) with the idea that the walls or fence will help you discourage the horse from making a big, athletic move. I would not be opposed to that, but it would not be a substitute for the high-standard of stillness I'd teach.

If I were riding yours, I think I'd make sure this horse had a one-rein stop taught (via some long-lining). If I pick up that hand with firm feel and say whoa, that horse should know that he can earn peace by giving to that pressure and stopping his feet. He should know that well enough that the request doesn't bother him at all. He should feel confident that he knows the right answer that will earn him a release from me.

Assuming I had that basic, butt-saving button installed in the horse, I'd start with the mounting block, as you have done: The place of peace and rest in the round pen is right there at the mounting block with the stirrup by my toe. Any other place is higher pressure with moving feet. (At some point, the right stirrup needs to be what they bring to my right toe, too).

If I'm standing next to them on the block and lift the buckle of the reins, I think they should "hustle up" and be eager to position their body so that I can put my toe in the stirrup. Think of a good limo driver who lines up his client's door exactly with the red carpet. I pet them on the neck and behind the saddle when they are there. Then I pick up my reins, If they move, I stop and hustle them back into place. Then I magically and suddenly stop when they get there.

I do teach these horses how they can move their hind end toward me if I pick up the outside rein. It's a tad awkward at first, but you can teach 'em. You might start with taking up the outside rein and a tap on the outside hip with a dressage whip to follow, just to let them know that that rein signal on the outside meant that they had to *do something* with their feet and step away from that rein with a hind foot.

The idea is that when I stand up on the block, there's one right place for the horse to be, AND I can do most of the correction from the block. At first you might have to do some hustle-y ground work away from the block, but that gets harder to explain how to teach on the interwebz. The idea is that even if you are chasing the horse away, you stop when he does. And sooner or later, he associates safety with his position next to the block in the ring.

While I am on the block and I move my foot to put it in the stirrup, I correct any movement. If I put my foot in the stirrup, I correct any movement. the horse doesn't get very far before I start the correction. If he lifts a foot, I'm starting to make the correction before he has put it down somewhere away from the block. This is where you let them know that the standards for their behavior are still as high while mounting as they were when you were on the ground. Again, I think you need this degree of concentration from a horse when you are physically vulnerable; don't just breeze by it on your way to the real riding. It doesn't matter how they got on her on the track. It doesn't matter that you can put your kids up there. This isn't about just getting on the horse. It's about how you will get on the horse. No one has taught her yet. If you wouldn't think of not installing an aid for the canter (and just trot fast enough to canter), why would you skill teaching the mounting up repertoire?

In any case, when I feel comfortable that the horse won't be move in a "disproportionate way" (try to really run or explode or fling his head against the bit/rope halter hard enough that he might scare himself and really fling himself around), I stand in that stirrup. My new standard is that the horse should remain still while I stand there. Damn straight it's awkward for them. Maybe it's even uncomfortable. But it's not fast or frightening; their job is to just stand still by the mounting block, the same as it always has been. I do keep a shorter inside rein and a handful of mane. I don't worry about the outside rein: I don't want to trap the horse with both reins; they feel they have somewhere they can go. I know I can stay safe long enough to out-wait the horse who wants to walk in that tight circle or until I decide to jump down (but I keep that rein, even from the ground, until the one-rein stop is completed), if I start to worry about saving my bacon. They I hustle right back to the block and get that squared, positioned-up spot again. In other words, even if we leave the block and I get back down on the ground, the horse doesn't get any peace until he's right back by the block where he never should have left. When he's there, I suddenly stop and praise him. I hang out there to let him think and "reset" (emotionally) for a minute. Then I pick up the inside rein and offer him a second chance to get it right.

After that, I will swing over (the smoother half of mounting) when I feel them leaving their feet on the ground. If I didn't feel them solid and me safe doing that, I'd bend my knee while in that stirrup and put my body over the top, still with that inside (left) rein in my hand and maybe some mane. Either eway, I should feel the horse stay planted.

Just don't skip a step in which you insist that the horse stands right by the block, squared up, in balance and mentally content or still. If you never go onto the next step before you get that compliance, your technique will work. Keep high standards for the horse's mind and wait as need.
                            Last edited by mvp; Feb. 20, 2020, 11:04 AM.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Just feed her treats when she stands at the block and make the block a nice place to be.

It's really ok to feed the horse an occasional treat instead of just "working hard" or "working less hard" all the time.
                              Yes, but I think the OP said the horse will do all that until she does the magic move of putting her foot in the stirrup?
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post

Yes, but I think the OP said the horse will do all that until she does the magic move of putting her foot in the stirrup?
                                So flop the stirrup around with your arm, feed it a treat.

Lift your left leg up dramatically, feed it a treat.

Touch the stirrup with your toe, feed it a treat.

Put your foot in, feed it a treat.

Etc.

Also, SIDE NOTE:

It's often easier to practice mounting at the END of a ride.
                                Get on somehow at the beginning, ride around, and then at the end get off and back on a couple times. Do your training when the horse is in a less anxious or anticipatory headspace.

Comment

So flop the stirrup around with your arm, feed it a treat.

Lift your left leg up dramatically, feed it a treat.

Touch the stirrup with your toe, feed it a treat.

Put your foot in, feed it a treat.

Etc.

Also, SIDE NOTE:

It's often easier to practice mounting at the END of a ride.
                                  Get on somehow at the beginning, ride around, and then at the end get off and back on a couple times. Do your training when the horse is in a less anxious or anticipatory headspace.
                                  Love the side note. That absolutely works! (Ask my mare about when she wants to open the gate....).
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Before I even start teaching to mount, I teach stand. Pretty much like a stay for a dog. Then I use "stand" to translate over to mounting. Every one of my horses gets led to the mounting block, squares up, gets told "stand", gets a treat, I get climb up and get on, once I'm settled, I tap the right side of the neck, they bend around and get their treat for standing and then I ask them to move on. I mount from a lot of weird things doing endurance and orienteering and it works every time
                                    Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

Also, after you get on, stand around (if you can). If you can't just stand on a loose rein, try flexing side to side. By standing around (again, if you can - if you feel that "I'm going to blow" tightness for god's sake walk for a minute) after getting on, she's going to start to learn - a person on my back doesn't automatically mean "go!".

Comment

I agree with meupatdoes and others about treats. I LOVE using treats to teach standing at the mounting block.

However, with OTTBs, I don't fuss and bounce and slither when getting on. They are used to a professional, light rider settling quietly in the saddle from a leg up. They are less tolerant of awkward straining, stirrup twisting, heaving aboard. It's physically uncomfortable for them when you stand in the left stirrup for a length of time; it pulls the saddle onto the spine, digs tree point into the right shoulder, and makes the horse think mounting is unpleasant. I watched a video of a cowboy mounting from the ground WITH NO GIRTH, and he made it look easy. They key is to stand close to the horse's shoulder, left hand on mane and reins, right hand NOT on the cantle but on the right saddle flap. Keep your center of gravity close to the saddle, kick your right leg high enough to clear the horse's hip. When mounting racehorses (from a block, in an exercise saddle with half a tree) I get on quick, lightly settling into my knees off the horse's back as I toe into the right stirrup.

Should a horse stand patiently as you scramble like a monkey? Sure that would be nice, but I want to make mounting easy and stress-free for my horses, so they never develop anxiety in the first place.
                                        A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
                                        ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Working...
                                        X