Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Real Estate Spotlight

Massey_web2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Wide toe box field boots? Help my foot be happy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide toe box field boots? Help my foot be happy!

I have had my left foot reconstructed a few times over the past year and now have a big toe that is fused from stem to stern-- totally non-bending, stiff and straight. Riding is not painful, thought walking in a field boot is. However.... I need to find a field boot that either has a wide-ish toe box or no toe cap seams that run over the edge of my big toe.

Yes, yes..I could get customs but I really don't want to spend a $1000+ for a pair of boots. Are there less expensive customs?? I can deal with my smaller left calf (from all those foot surgeries...atrophy is real people!) but the pressure from the too-small-across-my-Frankenfoot is painful and annoying.

My current two pairs are wearing out (and really don't feel good) which are Ariat Volant S and a too big pair of Monacos. I sold my La Mundial customs right after my last surgery as they were never going to fit my funky foot again.

Ideas? I'd like to keep costs under $700 if possible.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

About two years ago I tried most of the mid-price range off the shelf boots and to me Ariat felt like the roomiest toe box.
    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have Mountain Horse Sovereigns and think they are fairly generous in the toe box. They have a square toe, which gives you some extra room on the edges.

Can you fit in a men’s boot? They tend to be wider throughout the entire foot area.

Comment

No Ariat has ever fit my foot, far too low over the instep and toe box. This is in all of their footwear not just riding boots I currently wear size 10 1/2 so I have BIG feet

I rode dressage and had great success with Petrie in the way the foot bed and arch fit. I cannot for the life of me remember what kind of boots I wore when I rode jumpers, off the shelf popular brand in the 80s

My big toe on one foot is almost naturally fused so I need even more toe box than most

Petrie does make field +/- zips. Finding them to try might be a challenge. It might be worth getting some measurements and finding a store that reps. The only one I know of off the bat is The Gift Horse in Woodinville
        _\\]
        -- * > hoopoe
        Procrastinate NOW
        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

I have a big toe fusion and need a roomy toe box too. I sized up quite a bit and got a pair of Parlanti Ocala's. The seam across the toe is sown at an angle and I've found it to be more comfortable than a straight-across seam. The price point isn't great - and I don't think they make this model anymore. Maybe you could find a used pair?
          ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Training Cupid View Post
            About two years ago I tried most of the mid-price range off the shelf boots and to me Ariat felt like the roomiest toe box.
            And if that doesn't work, check their men's field boots.

And, it would appear, to keep up in the world, they offer free shipping and free returns.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Try men's boots. They are made wider than women's.

Comment

I have many of the same foot problems as you, and got measured for custom La Mundial paddock boots with a wide toe. They are a perfect fit, with a back zipper so my poor toe can slide right in. They were $400, and I think their tall field boots are $700. Lots of options so I think you could order them without the seam across the toe cap.

Comment

Why not just get dress boots? You’d still have the sizing difficulty, but you wouldn’t be dealing with the toe cap. I just got Tricolore boots by Deniro. Very roomy in the foot.

This is what I have.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/tr...ess-boot-21328

A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

• Original Poster

Did some research and ordered Mountain Horse Sovereign boots today. Easy returns with Smartpak, so we will see! Hoping to avoid customs at this point. Thanks for the suggestions. I did try on men’s boots and too big everywhere even in my size unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                      Did some research and ordered Mountain Horse Sovereign boots today. Easy returns with Smartpak, so we will see! Hoping to avoid customs at this point. Thanks for the suggestions. I did try on men’s boots and too big everywhere even in my size unfortunately.
                      Were you aware that men's boot sizing is different? There is approx. 1 and 1/2 difference in sizes. A man's 6.5 would be a women's 8.
                      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Merry- yes, I am aware of the size differences, the fit was so sloppy in the ankle and calf even when it fit my foot that it simply wouldn't work. I have very fine ankles, narrow heels and average calves (14.5 inches). Honestly, customs would be my best option but I simply cannot stomach the $1000+ for a pair of boots that will be my everyday boot and show boots. There are only Tucci and Parlanti available for customs in my area. I would definitely need the foot of the left one to be different than the right and that takes a master rep to get it right. (I had a gorgeous pair of La Mundial boots--they were measured superbly and made perfectly, but sadly that "fit" would never work with my new foot shape).

Comment

Merry- yes, I am aware of the size differences, the fit was so sloppy in the ankle and calf even when it fit my foot that it simply wouldn't work. I have very fine ankles, narrow heels and average calves (14.5 inches). Honestly, customs would be my best option but I simply cannot stomach the $1000+ for a pair of boots that will be my everyday boot and show boots. .
                          I have somewhat different fit problems, but the same overall experience - it seems impossible to find a pair of ready-made boots that fit in the toe box, the heel, the ankle, the calf, and the height.

After my last "There have got to be at least one pair of boots in this &^%$ store that will fit me" disappointment, I resigned myself to Ariat Terrains and half chaps for everyday wear and "they almost fit" Ariat Heritage paddock boots and half chaps for any occasion where I need to look a little more put together. If I ever start showing again, there will be a boot crisis.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                          that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Finding a boot without a toe cap may help, I find the toe cap hits my toes and bunions in the most uncomfortable place, also look for used boots, breaking in boots is bad enough when you have good feet, almost impossible when you have bad feet.

I found a used pair Mountain Horse dress boots in a half size too big, while they are a bit too long, the leather is so soft in the foot that they are completely comfortable. I have bunions, a contracted toe and other foot issues but these boots are extremely comfortable and I got them cheap. I have an older model of the Ariat Vortex, if they were a half size bigger they would also be wearable. They do have a bit of a toe cap.

Comment

• Original Poster

I chose the Mt. Horse ones because the toe cap stitching angles away from the sides of the toe. I think it might work! If not, back they go and the search goes to a dress boot foot. I dislike the look of a dress boot but needs must!

I currently have Ariat Volants that I love-- very comfy from day one, except for the pressure on my toe! I might try a pair in a slightly larger foot size if the Mt Horse don't work.

Comment

Ever checked out mounted patrol boots ?
                                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

This may sound off the wall but have you thought about checking with the large tack shops to see if they have any mismatched sizes that may work? Or even the custom makers?

Comment

I chose the Mt. Horse ones because the toe cap stitching angles away from the sides of the toe. I think it might work! If not, back they go and the search goes to a dress boot foot. I dislike the look of a dress boot but needs must!

I currently have Ariat Volants that I love-- very comfy from day one, except for the pressure on my toe! I might try a pair in a slightly larger foot size if the Mt Horse don't work.
                                    Not sure what it is you don't like about a dress boot. Perhaps you are thinking of a dressage boot, which is stiffer and wider through the ankle? Anyway, I wear the Tredstep Medici dress boot and find the toe box wider than the Ariat Volant, which is what I previously worse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Jo- I just don't care for the look of a dress or plain boot. I do know that there's a difference between a dressage and dress "hunter" boot (several clients in my barn have dress Tucci boots). If that style works better for me, then I guess I'll adjust my opinion!

Comment

• Original Poster

Update! The Mountain Horse Supremes feel great (so far!) on my foot-- they are a bit big in the foot, which is fine, and he way the stitching runs across the ball/top of the foot area relieves the pressure on the outside of the big toe. The left one fits awesome on my smaller calf...now to stretch the right one so I can zip it all the way up. Damn you, muscle atrophy! My puny left calf is the bane of my existence...

Comment

Working...
                                        X