Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for a first time WEF spectator visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a first time WEF spectator visit

I have been talking about going for years, but I think I can finally make it happen in Feb. I'm looking at going the 8-11th (I'd like to visit with a working student friend when she's not super busy, so I'm including "quieter" days). I am sure that my friend will certainly give me some guidance, but I don't want to distract her when she's working, so I'm asking COTH, what do I need to know? What do I need to do?

I am assuming I should rent a car. What is the best option for lodging that won't break the bank? What is the parking situation like?
    The best sports bras for riders are Anita 5527 and Panache! Size UP in Anita, down in Panache (UK sizing)

I would certainly rent a car. If you are looking for a reasonable hotel room, the best bet is probably to stay near the airport and just drive back and forth to Wellington each day. It might take you 20-30 minutes each direction, but I believe the hotel rooms are much more reasonable. You could also look at the prices for hotel rooms in Lake Worth, which would be a little bit closer to the show.

Parking on the horse show grounds is tight on the weekends, depending on what time of day you go. There is a spectator parking lot, but it often fills up by late morning. There is an auxiliary parking lot with a free shuttle for the Saturday night classes, and I believe that parking in that lot down on the corner is free. If you want to park at the showgrounds on Saturday night, I think they charge something like $20 per car.

If you plan to spend much time at the show at all, wear extremely comfortable shoes. It is a big place, and there is quite a bit of hiking involved. There are a lot of tack shops and other shops on the grounds, and several more within a 3 mile radius. So bring a healthy credit card and a spare duffel bag to take everything home with you.

You can check the weather when it gets closer to the trip, but in early February, there could still be a cold snap that would require a few layers. And never go to Florida without a good raincoat!

Comment

• Original Poster

Great tips, MHM.

Is it an easy drive to the ft lauderdale area? I might go visit another friend while I'm down there.
      The best sports bras for riders are Anita 5527 and Panache! Size UP in Anita, down in Panache (UK sizing)

Comment

• Original Poster

I also love food. Is there anything you would describe as "must have"?

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
          Great tips, MHM.

Is it an easy drive to the ft lauderdale area? I might go visit another friend while I'm down there.
          It’s easy enough to get to Ft. Lauderdale. The Florida Turnpike is a little less scary than Rt. 95 when it comes to traffic.

La Fogata in Wellington has good Mexican food. Backstreets and Agliolio are also good, and there are lots of restaurants around the Wellington mall. I believe there are also some good options in Palm Beach proper, but I rarely venture that far from the horse show.

Comment

The shopping is second to none but it's also not cheap so...just be prepared for that lol. I went in 2013 with a girlfriend for a weekend and loved it. We had a hell of a time finding a place to stay that was close enough and not crazy stupid expensive. We ended up staying at the PGA resort that was like 20 minutes away. That was actually super fun they had a great bar we spent our late nights at (and all the middle aged + male golfers on vaca were SUPER intrigued by the 20-something young ladies at the bar, I don't think we ever paid for a drink! They were all exceedingly polite and chatty). Another fun place for a drink is the bar at the Breakers, tons of people from the show go there as well. Expensive but worth a visit for a beverage.

Lots of good food in the area, hard to go wrong. We had great everything from Italian to Thai to Mexican.

We also rented a golf cart for the weekend at the show. It made getting around easy, we had a place to put stuff, and we used it to drive through Grand Prix village and see all the barns, which I highly recommend.

Comment

I also love food. Is there anything you would describe as "must have"?
              Rocco's Tacos in WPB!

Comment

Originally posted by WinterPalm View Post

Rocco's Tacos in WPB!
                I was just about to say this! Seriously, best tacos ever.

Comment

Reasonable in Welly is 170 a night at a roach infested red roof or best western 30 minutes away. Try air bnb
                  "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                  carolprudm

Comment

Sushi moto if you like Asian food. I always got sushi and my hubby got curry/thai type. We always got to go though because it's busy on prime nights.

I dont remember which night it was buy Bonefish macs has cheap crab leg boil plates.

Monday night Bingo was always fun at Jojos.

There is also a super good ice cream shop over towards royal palm but I dont remember the exact location.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mroades View Post
                      Reasonable in Welly is 170 a night at a roach infested red roof or best western 30 minutes away. Try air bnb
                      Good to know. I'm hoping that I can stay with my friend.

Comment

Good to know. I'm hoping that I can stay with my friend.
                        That's definitely cheapest. The PGA resort 20 minutes away ran us $250 a night but it was split between two people which helped. We couldn't find anything closer that wasn't either was a basic hotel for the same price or $100+ more a night.

Comment

Working...
                        X