Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Do top show barns still do working students?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do top show barns still do working students?

I am 16 years old (USEF age 15) and my dream goal is to qualify and compete at indoors as a junior. I have just started competing at 3’0” with my own horse (uncomfortably) and not many people at my barn go beyond this. I would really like to find a working student position where I can train with trainers who frequently compete on the AA circuit and qualify for these finals regularly. I am planning on graduating high school early (midway through my 16 year old USEF year). I currently work at my barn after school and at shows on the weekends to work off board and lessons. I also braid to make extra money for showing.
    Would any top show barns legitimately let me work off board for my horse and training fees, as well as letting me travel and show with them? Also how would I go about asking? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Willowsimmons; Jan. 14, 2020, 12:15 PM.

I would think that the career counselor at your school would be a good resource for creating a resume to showcase your experience and show record (knowledge, skills, and abilities). If you don't have one already, get started on making a "highlight reel" showcasing your riding talent on a variety of horses.

I would rethink the way you have stated your goal in terms of benefit to the person hiring you, because the way you have stated it here, it sounds like "I want to show indoors on someone else's dime." Do you aspire to an NCAA team? A career as a veterinarian? How do your goals of competing both contribute to the success of the barns where you will be applying and to your future success in the horse industry (as a representative of their program)?

I would just conclude with some advice: if you do land a job like this, you have to be cheerful all the time (mucking stalls! hauling water at 4 AM! rude clients!) and act as if you are having the time of your life on every horse, in every situation, every day. Make sure that you have the temperament for this! (I don't).
    The journey is the destination.

Comment

Never know until you ask around. Most don’t take just anybody who asks ( and they get a ton via text e mail or drop in) so it’s best to talk to your trainer about referring you.

Two biggest obstacles are being under 18 in today's world and the current costs involved in running a top tier show barn. SS has changed attitudes about minors hanging around the barn, barn rats are a vanishing species. The cost thing...is your barn labor worth what a top barn charges for board and training/ lessons? There’s only so many stalls to muck and manes to braid when they get 1500+ for board and 100 per lesson and their operating budget depends on that money coming in, a They can get a mucker for 10 a hour and you’d have to braid hours every night and not be time to ride your own horse to make that work.

Most the top tier barns offer the WS positions to their own Junior clients, especially Medal riders as they are familiar with the barn program and known ability wise plus still supported by parents and not trying to work off the entire bill, get a discount not a total pass on the bill. There’s also the fact many clients want the trainer or assistant only to handle riding their horses. That can limit available rides, especially over 3’.

But...there’s a ton of barns around that are not top tier, don’t charge a fortune, hit some AA shows and do take working students. But they don’t advertise, it’s personal recommendation and word of mouth. So start researching that. Oh, if you need housing, that is an additional complication so start by looking within driving distance, assuming you have your own car. That’s a requirement for a serious position, can’t be dependent in the schedule of others to get around.

Just some things to think about and get in order. You might want to look for this over on the Eventing side if you want to work with horses and Jump, it’s more common over there. The sooner you and your trainer start seriously looking, and letting people know you are looking, the more opportunities you might turn up.

Good luck.
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I would suggest trying to find the local trainers who jump at the next tier, and moving there now if they will have you as a client. That will give you a better idea if the move up will work for you and contacts for WS later on.

Where I live there are dozens of stables where the jumpers top out at 3 feet, and they compete in the local and rated shows.

​​​​​then there are a handful of stables that are doing the big jumpers, Grand Prix, etc. But if you are outside their world they are pretty much invisible. I met some once through a trainer friend so I know they are out there but they don't have a local presence at shows or advertise constantly for boarding and lessons

Go find this kind of barn locally. Maybe audition for them and see if you would fit as a client. Go there as a paying client for the next year and then see where that takes you

Comment

Where (generally) are you located, OP? You stand a better chance of finding a smaller program that would probably let you work out a better situation if you're already somewhere with a lot of barns that do the Eq stuff. Thinking stuff like New England finals, or Gittings, that you could work towards as a first step. It isn't impossible; my recent trainer had one working student who went from doing her first 2'6" eq at a local show on my horse to doing multiple 3' finals in the span of a couple years. But it absolutely takes the right situation and access to the right horses.

Does your trainer have someone else she usually moves students up to when they're ready to move on from her program? Or have people that they know/train with that they could refer you to? If you're graduating early, you may also want to look into a short-term working student stint at one of the bigger barns sans horse; I know the girl at our barn went to FL for a few weeks to work and learned a lot.
          A Year In the Saddle

Comment

I e-mailed a trainer when I was 18 asking about a working student position and I got it. E-mail around to barns you know and sit down with them and state your goals as you did here.

the trainer I worked for, I eventually became her assistant. She was top notch and I learned SO much. Top level barn. You just have to be willing to do the work, which you sound like you do. Good on you! Good luck.

Comment

At your age, in the current climate, I wouldn't recommend it for many reasons, and few if any real professional programs will consider having a very minor working student, particularly traveling with them unattended.

I definitely recommend sticking close to home, go to school, ride what and when you can within healthy financial and school-life balance.

Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

I have worked at and know many barns (in Canada) that would love a dedicated working student. Some have board and lodging available, and it is impossible to find anyone interested. It's not always an easy job, but there are many GP riders out there looking. You need to get in touch with as many as you can find, if you really want to do it. But it is not an easy job.

Comment

findeight gave some great advice. Not going to add anything at this point other than to say you should go back and reread her post. It has a lot of information that is completely on point.

Comment

OP, first off, congrats on seeking to improve your skills and being willing to work hard to earn more training. That is very commendable.

The truth of the matter is that it is now much harder than it used to be for juniors (minors) to obtain traditional working student positions. Now that trainers are basically prohibited from having unsupervised interaction / communication with minors, it is very difficult for many to take on kids as part of their barn staff or training program.

However, there are things you CAN do. The first is to always, always, always turn yourself and your horse out to a very high standard. Tack is always clean, polished, properly fitted. Your horse is groomed within an inch of its life, mane & tail kept neat and tidy, if you use boots or polos those are conservatively colored and properly applied. You never know who will notice the rider who pays attention to every little detail, who always looks organized and put together, and who is polite and helpful. If you need help getting to that level of care and polish... there are plenty of Youtube videos from even the top barns that you can study to see how their barn routines work, how their horses (and riders) are turned out, what things look like at the very top of the sport. You can emulate all that; hard work and attention to detail cost nothing but your effort.

You could consider attending clinics. If you braid well enough to charge for it, some of that money could be earmarked for that purpose, and if you show up looking the part and riding well (in addition to being "teachable") those clinicians may well take notice and be able to help, either by suggesting opportunities or perhaps having opportunities of their own to offer. You can (at a break or after the lesson) ask for advice about seeking opportunities; most are happy to at least hear you out.

You can figure out where others in your area have gone to get the type of training that you are seeking, and perhaps observe them at shows nearby. There are lots of options between the barn where you are now, where it sounds like the program tops out around the 3' mark, and the top tier equitation places. You may find a place to move to as a client that offers a lot of education and another step on your journey. Some of them may offer an opportunity to help out around the barn to defray some costs; there are probably not fully free options but you may find that you can work off enough to make a better program affordable.

Best of luck to you. I was a working student a million years ago (dinosaurs were walking the earth,) and to this day I treasure all that I learned during those years.
                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by Seagram View Post
                      I have worked at and know many barns (in Canada) that would love a dedicated working student. Some have board and lodging available, and it is impossible to find anyone interested. It's not always an easy job, but there are many GP riders out there looking. You need to get in touch with as many as you can find, if you really want to do it. But it is not an easy job.
                      If OP is not a Canadian resident, there may be Visa requirements for extended stays as there are in most other countries ( if not all), That's something else that has changed since back when. No idea if being a minor complicates that or not but really think the best options are going to be found closer to home for those under 18..
                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Willowsimmons View Post
                        I am 16 years old (USEF age 15) and my dream goal is to qualify and compete at indoors as a junior. I have just started competing at 3’0” with my own horse (uncomfortably) and not many people at my barn go beyond this. I would really like to find a working student position where I can train with trainers who frequently compete on the AA circuit and qualify for these finals regularly. I am planning on graduating high school early (midway through my 16 year old USEF year). I currently work at my barn after school and at shows on the weekends to work off board and lessons. I also braid to make extra money for showing.
                        Would any top show barns legitimately let me work off board for my horse and training fees, as well as letting me travel and show with them? Also how would I go about asking? Thanks in advance!
                        First of all, you CAN find a working student position. However, most working student positions cover some teaching/training, but mostly learning the ropes of the industry via working hard. The possibility of getting to work off your board and training fees is quite unlikely. The possibility of getting to show would simply depend on your budget--I would expect to pay, in full, for any and all showing opportunities. Shows are where the staff (including working students) work their rear ends off to make sure that the paying clients have a good show. If you are a skilled rider you might get to flat horses in the mornings. I wouldn't expect anyone to be paying any show fees for you. The fact is that providing an equestrian training and showing experience is incredibly expensive for trainers to provide--from the care of the horse to the facility to the trainer's limited time. A working student, who is a less valuable worker than your average f/t groom, just doesn't earn enough in a month to cover the board and training of a horse.

I guess my main point is that while you CAN find a WS position that will advance your knowledge base and skills, being a WS is not compatible with your goals of training at a top show barn and competing on the AA circuit unless you have a significant alternate source of funding to pay for board, training and show fees.

As an aside, I personally don't think Safe Sport is the reason why working student positions have changed--it's costs of training and showing that have increased to the point where even a WS working their rear end off doesn't "earn" enough to offset the high costs. I also think that fewer kids have backgrounds that make them useful barn workers. Most modern teenagers are really unprepared to be able to help out in a useful way. Modern teens also tend to have an overly optimistic view of the value of their own work. A teenager who grew up in the suburbs and has never worked in a barn before is worth extremely little to me (a barn owner) as a worker. There's a lot of manual labor that has to take place, and it needs to be done with precision and pride, and with an eye to noticing details about the horses as the work progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post

If OP is not a Canadian resident, there may be Visa requirements for extended stays as there are in most other countries ( if not all), That's something else that has changed since back when. No idea if being a minor complicates that or not but really think the best options are going to be found closer to home for those under 18..
                          Absolutely, yes, there may be visa/etc requirements. I just wanted to say that there are positions out there that are going begging, and if she really wanted to do it, it's an option. Just be prepared to work harder than ever, and really look around. I've had friends go overseas for such positions, who loved it. But not easy work, long days, hard physical labour, etc. But it's still out there.

Comment

Working...
                          X