Sport Horse Spotlight

DSC_0923BestRegards2016

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Warmblood Import Nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I am taking things to literally but BlueBobRadar I read that to mean that the owners did not know that was an option that the trainer never gave them that choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
      Maybe I am taking things to literally but BlueBobRadar I read that to mean that the owners did not know that was an option that the trainer never gave them that choice.
      If that’s the case I’d be finding a new trainer and sue them as my agent and NOT providing me with all the financial options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

If that’s the case I’d be finding a new trainer and sue them as my agent and NOT providing me with all the financial options.
        I do not KNOW it is the case. I was just putting the comments together like some other people have. Likely it is probably some where in the middle (they knew but did not understand, the trainer thought they did understand, blah blah blah).

Comment

I do not KNOW it is the case. I was just putting the comments together like some other people have. Likely it is probably some where in the middle (they knew but did not understand, the trainer thought they did understand, blah blah blah).
          I didn’t read that as you stating a fact. And I agree it’s probably somewhere in the middle.

Comment

The mother's post (referenced above) is very well written. Sad but not all the screaming drama that the trainer is doing. She states that they should have done things differently and that they did not know what they were doing, etc.

This whole situation is sad. The poor young lady.
            Yes, mom seems to be more realistic here. And has realized in hindsight that shipping back immediately was the right thing to do, but I can't blame her for not doing so - even in the anecdotes where people importing ran into an issue and shipped the horse back, they were either experienced importers or they relied on the (strong) advice of their experienced trainer.

The owner/mom was relying on !!! trainer who doesn't seem super experienced with importing and what to do when that runs into difficulties. In her shoes, with no experience myself, I'd have probably done the same.

I would have a lawyer review the insurance paperwork. The GFM seems pretty dead, I see no reason why it should suddenly start bringing in loads of money. The trainer, for some reason (at least how I read her update) seems committed to keeping the horse one way or another, inc shipping back and trying to sell; the euth option is much cheaper and is getting comparatively cheaper with every passing day.

But the insurance option might still be viable. If it tested negative before boarding, and positive on arrival, when exactly does the insurance kick in? Had an accident happened in the air, say a fall, broken bone - would the insurance have paid out? Because if yes, shouldn't they accept the horse being ok based on the testing that was legitimate to the origin jurisdiction?
            Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

• That is weird on the insurance and maybe worth looking into more. Though I think most policies wouldn’t cover unless they do euthanize. And then it would need to really be the only viable option, which it’s not (even with the other options being more expensive). I can see a policy helping to pay for treatment but not USDA fees or board during this time.

At any rate, the policy I got started in Europe where risk of loss transferred to me and included transport to the US. Negative tests in Europe were a condition of sale and obtained prior to the policy start. So if it were me, I’d at least argue against the pre-existing condition thing. However, if their policy was only effective upon arrival to the states, maybe it’s different. I don’t know why they would do that even if the sale price included transport. Doesn’t seem to have shifted the risk any later in the transaction according to this seller. Otherwise they might have a contract claim as well, on which a Belgian lawyer could advise them.

Comment

• I'm sure I'm going to sound like a big meany poopy head, but GFMs for purposes like this really rub me the wrong way. I feel terrible for the horse and the kid, but IMO it shouldn't be socially acceptable to ask for hand-outs to fund your "large, expensive pet" (to quote another thread).

Poor horse.
                Building and Managing the Small Horse Farm: http://thesmallhorsefarm.blogspot.com

Comment

The mother's post (referenced above) is very well written. Sad but not all the screaming drama that the trainer is doing. She states that they should have done things differently and that they did not know what they were doing, etc.

This whole situation is sad. The poor young lady.
                  I really hope that the horse can be saved somehow, It's unfortunate that business writing is not the trainer's strong suit..
                  “A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

That was my gut reaction looking at the public Facebook posts a few days ago. Hence my post saying these owners need to get their OWN lawyer who has zero connection with the trainer.

The mother’s most recent sad post about all the things she wasn’t aware of going into it, and then the trainer’s follow on update saying that they may be shipping the horse back... but have yet to identify a dealer on the ground in Europe who would be willing to resell this horse for them....

Uggh. I can see the freight train that is called “expensive lessons in terms of what it means to own a horse” continuing to just CRUSH this naive family because they have not yet gotten advice from someone competent who is TOTALLY independent of this trainer.

Look folks (meaning the actual owners)... if you are out there reading this thread... call up someone different (a well regarded horse professional) in California for advice. Today. Yeah... it’s not loyal. But per your own posts... you are funding this bleeding using credit cards. Call someone else, and get yourself competent professional advice. Talk to a trainer who does do A LOT of importing and has good contacts and experience. And get your own lawyer. Not because of the vet treatment thing from back in December. But because of the ENTIRE situation. From start to finish.

And please, try and wrap your head around the likelihood that the horse might need to be put down. It is VERY sad. But there are worse things than putting a horse down painlessly and humanely when the animal and owners are stuck in an impossible situation like this.

Comment

• This whole thing is hard to really form specific opinions on as the family and trainer have never posted here on COTH and we really don’t know what contracts exist,, how they are worded and don’t know what is or is not covered on the insurance.

Seems trainer is still at the wheel decision wise as the bills continue to grow, and grow, IMO that’s another mistake.
                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Virginia Horse Mom 100% agree with your post. TBH, one thing that struck me was the fact that such a large percentage of these additional expenses are being funded on credit. Again, we can only base it on the game of telephone via Facebook posts, but it does sound like the trainer represented the import as a way to save a great deal of money for a family already stretching its budget. While ultimately the family must make decisions about its own financial welfare, to present importing a horse as relatively easy and inexpensive seems unwise, to put it mildly. Even if this nightmare scenario did not occur, what if the imported horse needed additional training or incurred other medical expenses? I know all too well myself that spending money on horses is never rational, but it does seem as if the trainer was not helpful in enabling the family to make a good decision about importing in the first place, to put it mildly.
                        Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

• Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom

I’m completely with you.

I’ve hesitated to post this opinion as well, but since Denali already got push back from others who didn’t seem to understand why using the “military family” angle in the go fund me pitch to help raise money to “save” a horse who might “lose his life” because of this unfortunate situation with quarantine and glanders testing REALLY rubs people who are either in the military, or have close family and friends in the military the wrong way (to put it mildly) I’m going to do my best to inject a dose of perspective. In the interest of public education on a sensitive subject.

As of January 20, 2020, according to the Department of Defense 4,419 members of the US military have lost their lives as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom (essentially, the conflict in Iraq post 9/11)

As of January 20, 2020, according to the Department of Defense 2,351 members of the US military have lost their lives as part of Operation Enduring Freedom (essentially the conflict in Afghanistan post 9/11)

Many of these people had spouses and children who would give ANYTHING for their loved one to have made it all the way to 30 years with their chosen honorable career, and then retired and spent time with the family. Please understand that neither Denali nor myself nor anyone else who mentioned the impropriety of bringing up the military service in the go fund me plea was trying to beat up on this family or be mean. But some of us do actually know people and families who have lost loved ones, or have lost friends ourselves... and that Go Fund Me account rubbed us the wrong way.

This family is fortunate to have their father home with them after his many years in uniform. It’s honestly that simple.

They can fund raise for the horse all they want via go fund me and Facebook... but the military service part of the public pleas for financial assistance should have been edited out days ago.
                          Seriously- using the military aspect by them has been beaten to death by you and others. As a member of a military family (I am) - let it freaking go.
                          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

• To be fair, lots of people import horses all the time with few or no problems. So it probably seemed like a perfectly rational idea at the start. Unfortunately, like so many things involving horses, when there are complications, the bills start to add up in a hurry.

I am so sorry for the horse and the kid, as well as the whole family. I hope they can come up with a solution.

Comment

I’m completely with you.

I’ve hesitated to post this opinion as well, but since Denali already got push back from others who didn’t seem to understand why using the “military family” angle in the go fund me pitch to help raise money to “save” a horse who might “lose his life” because of this unfortunate situation with quarantine and glanders testing REALLY rubs people who are either in the military, or have close family and friends in the military the wrong way (to put it mildly) I’m going to do my best to inject a dose of perspective. In the interest of public education on a sensitive subject.

As of January 20, 2020, according to the Department of Defense 4,419 members of the US military have lost their lives as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom (essentially, the conflict in Iraq post 9/11)

As of January 20, 2020, according to the Department of Defense 2,351 members of the US military have lost their lives as part of Operation Enduring Freedom (essentially the conflict in Afghanistan post 9/11)

Many of these people had spouses and children who would give ANYTHING for their loved one to have made it all the way to 30 years with their chosen honorable career, and then retired and spent time with the family. Please understand that neither Denali nor myself nor anyone else who mentioned the impropriety of bringing up the military service in the go fund me plea was trying to beat up on this family or be mean. But some of us do actually know people and families who have lost loved ones, or have lost friends ourselves... and that Go Fund Me account rubbed us the wrong way.

This family is fortunate to have their father home with them after his many years in uniform. It’s honestly that simple.

They can fund raise for the horse all they want via go fund me and Facebook... but the military service part of the public pleas for financial assistance should have been edited out days ago.
                              To be fair it’s the trainer mentioning the military everywhere and its people on CoTH giving me the push back. That being said, the trainer playing the military card also adds to my distaste for how she has handled all of this. I’m assuming not immediately suggesting to the family to send the horse back has to do with her inexperience and/or the commission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post

Seriously- using the military aspect by them has been beaten to death by you and others. As a member of a military family (I am) - let it freaking go.
                                As the actual service member...... it’s not something we take lightly and service members who play the card are frowned upon. At least in my branch.

ETA: As well as their friends and family who do the same. It’s just not cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post

I respectfully disagree that it has been beaten to death. I have sat on my hands for days not posting any number of things I could say about this.

And thank you to your family for their service.

Comment

• Based on the FB Update - seems like a no brainer - there is such a thing as throwing good money after bad and this trainer seems very good at it. Yes of course it's heartbreaking, yes of course you want to try to save this animal - but again at what cost to the owners? Why on earth are they even contemplating spending additional cash to ship the horse back? I just read some of the comments post Update - trainer says they might send the horse back, pay board and Training fees so it can be resold. Common sense has to override emotion at some point. It's hard to tell how much the owners are actually involved - and at some point when the expenses are mounting you eliminate the 3rd party and take over, take action. There is no way I would not be the 1st point of contact and decision maker in something like this.

What is the status of the horse ? still ongoing fever? positive tests etc.
                                    Last edited by gottagrey; Jan. 23, 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Both the trainer and the mother posted about it. And the child’s older brother is currently active duty, and that was also brought up in comments on Facebook trying to drum up sympathy.

Furthermore, the trainer specifically wanted the go fund me plea to be shared to military families... presumably because she assumed that military families would be inclined to sympathize with this family and donate money. And brainstorming on social media included sharing the go fund me with Gary Sinise... because he does so much fundraising for wounded vets and their families. They did actually share it to his public page.

For the record... I have immediate family who closely follows some of the fundraising that Gary Sinise does because they are also double amputees (like his Forest Gump character). Sinise does GREAT work. Sharing this GFM to his page... it’s inappropriate.
                                      Oh I missed all that. Holy moly!

Comment

Both the trainer and the mother posted about it. And the child’s older brother is currently active duty, and that was also brought up in comments on Facebook trying to drum up sympathy.

Furthermore, the trainer specifically wanted the go fund me plea to be shared to military families... presumably because she assumed that military families would be inclined to sympathize with this family and donate money. And brainstorming on social media included sharing the go fund me with Gary Sinise... because he does so much fundraising for wounded vets and their families. They did actually share it to his public page.

For the record... I have immediate family who closely follows some of the fundraising that Gary Sinise does because they are also double amputees (like his Forest Gump character). Sinise does GREAT work. Sharing this GFM to his page... it’s inappropriate.
                                        OMG - they shared this on Gary Sinise's page? I skimmed thru the FB posts and honestly tweets to the President, wanting to get news/media attention so celebrities would pitch in - pitch if for what? This is a horse that potentially has or is a carrier of a once eradicated disease and these screwballs want to drum up cash from people ? This is considered a luxury item - it's not a home or a car for a disabled vet. They want to sympathy and funds to help cover bad decisions they or the trainer continues to make on the owners behalf. It's one thing to set up a GFM for a trainer who's barn has been hit with EVH-1 and they're doing everything they can to save their horses but this. SMH

Comment

• Sharing with Gary Sinise is the epitome of disrespect. His foundation and good works help so many veterans and their families. It’s not to help a family that over spent on a horse purchase due to being ill advised by the professional they trusted.

Comment

Working...
                                          X