Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe Sport Personal Experience - Awful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe Sport Personal Experience - Awful

I filed a complaint 18 months ago and just received the response by email 2 days ago. I was interviewed twice, once by 2 employees and then 1 year later by an investigator (who was a bit creepy, I have to say).

It took that long for a follow up investigator to get back to me...What is so unbelievable is not the decision but how the paperwork is presented to me as a legal document...

I received a link by SS in an email to view. The link is only good to look at for 6 days!! And then it is gone! One is not permitted to download, copy, print or otherwise distribute the documents.

I can't believe the way they handle not only the process but the outcome!

When I called to speak to a SS person involved the last 2 days, not one could give me a straight answer!!

This entity needs an overhaul. How is it that the documents can only be seen for less than week!!

I mean...why does it matter if you only have a few days to look at it? What else do you need it for? If it's that big of a deal take so.e screenshots.

Comment

In the lecture last night they discussed the fact that they do their best to keep all information confidential and secure. I assume this is another step in that process.

Comment

Originally posted by NYFarmgirl16 View Post
        I filed a complaint 18 months ago and just received the response by email 2 days ago. I was interviewed twice, once by 2 employees and then 1 year later by an investigator (who was a bit creepy, I have to say).

It took that long for a follow up investigator to get back to me...What is so unbelievable is not the decision but how the paperwork is presented to me as a legal document...

I received a link by SS in an email to view. The link is only good to look at for 6 days!! And then it is gone! One is not permitted to download, copy, print or otherwise distribute the documents.

When I called to speak to a SS person involved the last 2 days, not one could give me a straight answer!!

This entity needs an overhaul. How is it that the documents can only be seen for less than week!!
        https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...-michael-henry

Sorry you are having a bad experience. I would reach out to your case worker and explain that you realize they are extremely busy but you would love some better communication.
        Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

In the discussion last evening, Mr. Henry specifically stated that resolutions and documents are very confidential and they make every effort to protect those involved in a decision. Sending a privacy protected email that can only be seen for a short period, and not downloaded etc., maintains that confidentiality and protects both accused and accused. Many legal
          documents are shared in this manner.

Comment

This is classic horse world bubble such as I referenced on the other thread. Utter astonishment that a link to a legal document is only alive for X days. This is why equestrians look the fool in this hoopla. All this stuff; from MAAP policies to mandated SS-type training to ejection from private boards/clubs to expiring links on the Internet, all of it is SOP for the rest of the world, and has been for awhile.

NYFarmgirl16 - I truly hope that whatever grievance you suffered & filed has been resolved appropriately, but if your biggest complaint is that they issued legal docs in a way that they don't live on in Internet perpetuity then ... it's just not gonna outweigh an honest effort to rid the sport of abuse.
            EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

When I am communicating my legal reports via email, they are done via links with explicit expiration dates. The same is true when data documents are conveyed to me.

I regret that you feel as you do, NYfarmgirl16, but welcome to the real world of legal proceedings. The rest of us have learned to work within the systems and have learned to navigate and operate there. You can too.

Comment

I’m sorry you had a negative experience with your report. I have to say that that is the exact opposite of my experience with safe sport, but my report was given early on in the process. As I’ve stated many times before the investigators with whom I communicated were highly educated and qualified individuals. Surely at this point in time the system is being challenged due to a plethora of reports being processed.
                It’s unclear as to whether you’re reporting as a survivor or a witness to another persons incident , But I hope you are well and continue to work with in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                  When I am communicating my legal reports via email, they are done via links with explicit expiration dates. The same is true when data documents are conveyed to me.

I regret that you feel as you do, NYfarmgirl16, but welcome to the real world of legal proceedings. The rest of us have learned to work within the systems and have learned to navigate and operate there. You can too.
                  I work in higher ed, and used to handle sensitive data (FERPA-related, donor information, etc) in my previous role. Anytime I had to send a doc that included that information to someone, inside or outside the organization, I had to send it using a password-protected link that expired after 5 days. And most of this info would just reveal that a certain person had donated to our organization at some point, or was currently a student. So not real high-octane stuff here. I would hope Safe Sport would do the same with information that reveals a survivor's name, for example, or identifying info on a witness. Or, for that matter, info about someone who's been accused before a resolution has been reached and relayed to all the involved parties.

OP, I sincerely hope you haven't been harmed, and if you have, that you get the justice you deserve, as well as support to overcome any trauma. I'm glad Safe Sport is enacting measures to keep your information safe, along with that of anyone else named in that report.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post

That is usually true, but they are generally available for download so you can add them to your file. They don't disappear into the ether after 6 days, otherwise what would be the point of providing written correspondence?
                    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

True, but depending on the case (federal/state) and/or work product, most times preventing the possibility of losing the files into unknown hands is more important than allowing full access (especially if I am under a protective order).

Correspondence is very different than legal documents.

Many times, hard copy, mailed or hand carried, e.g. thumb drives, is better (direct control of "evidence" or "testimony") and allows one to be confident in the documentation. The other method is to password protect all files against any modification with expiration dates.

Comment

I think I am getting suspicious in my old age. This is a new poster and her message magically mirrors one of the talking points from the Athletes for Equity video from a few days ago about the SS process taking too long for some victims. Certainly enough for me to go hmmmm......and wonder who is really behind that screen name.
                        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

• Original Poster

I would feel less angry if I were able to download and save the documents. I want to share these with a yet to be hired attorney.

For those interested, I filed a complaint against an abuser who was 18 years my senior, so 32.. I was 14 at the time.

SS deemed there was not enough evidence to ban this individual, who against their Attorney's advice, would not respond to the complaint...

So that person continues to live their life with no penalty. I will remember what happened forever.

Comment

OP I would suggest hiring an attorney and have them request the documents. I’m sorry there wasn’t enough evidence in your case and for what you went through.

Comment

I would think they woul d have to archive the files somewhere - what happens if another person files a complaint against the same individual as the OP sometime later? - one would assume other files/complaints would be pertinent to another complaint. I just can't imagine the files going Poof. and actually disappearing.
                              Last edited by gottagrey; Dec. 12, 2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
                                I would think they woul d have to archive the files somewhere - what happens is another person files a complaint against the same individual as the OP sometime later? What if another victim files a complaint against the same person as the OP - one would assume other files/complaints would be pertinent to another complaint. I just can't imagine the files going Poof. and actually disappearing.
                                Exactly my thought. And the investigators don't have the answers which is very, very puzzling!!

Comment

They do have the files archived. It’s just the link had a time limit. That is standard for highly sensitive things being emailed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TheMoo View Post
                                    They do have the files archived. It’s just the link had a time limit. That is standard for highly sensitive things being emailed.
                                    I was told my access to the files expires on 12/17.

Comment

I went through the SS process. I believe it is the director's decision and the investigation report that are sent via expiring links. It is frustrating that you can't download, print or save it, but I believe this is prevent people from sharing the documents. At work, we use encrypted emails with a 5 day expiration. I find that annoying at times, but it is a small inconvenience to ensure confidentiality

Comment

I was told my access to the files expires on 12/17.
                                        The link in the email for sure. I can’t speak to their process for giving you hard copies. They may have found another person which maybe why you can’t have the information. For their privacy.

At any rate, your best bet would be to have whichever attorney you hire to request the documents.

Comment

Working...
                                        X