Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

RRP Removes 2' Hunter Division

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRP Removes 2' Hunter Division

Despite 2' Hunters being the largest division at the Thoroughbred Makeover, the RRP has removed it. Competitors now must choose 2'6" or 3.' There is a little bit of speculation as to why this was done and the proposed theories I have seen are:
    1.) The 2' hunters are hard to judge against 2'6" and 3' hunters.
    2.) There tend to be a lot of seriously unprepared horses at that level, so maybe people will stay home rather than let their horses haphazardly fly around a 2' hunter course.
    3.) The 2' hunters has become a catch all of eventers and jumpers who don't think their horse is ready for 2'6"/2'7" so eliminating that division will keep riders in their normal discipline.

Now the controversy is: is it fair? OTTB's are plenty athletic and most will have no problem getting from one side of the jump to the other, but just because they can doesn't mean they should, does it? I believe the event has been criticized for pushing horses too quickly, and it sounds like they are going further down that path. It was nice that people had an easy, low option, especially because training horses seldom happens on the timeline that you anticipate. Also, who knows if raising the minimum height will actually keep unprepared pairs home- this could backfire in epic proportions.

And I'd like to piggyback off of that and ask: what is normal? And what is normal for any horse, not just an OTTB. I myself tend to train extremely slow AND I've spent 15 or so years in the dressage ring, so my perception of what is too much is probably pretty far off from what people actually do.

The difference between 2' or 2'6" never mattered to any TB I've known. If it does, then I would opine that the horse has little potential as a hunter or jumper. I have known young TBs that were sloppy and disinterested until the fences were more challenging.

The rider needs to be able to place the horse at the jump properly. It's 2 feet, or 6 inches higher. The horse can either jump or it can not.
    The difference in those heights (2' and 2'6") seem to be rider issues, best dealt with at home. Take that for what it's worth, since I have been out of the loop for a long time.

Comment

2' is tiny even in hunterland. The smallest rated hunter section is 2'3" and that's for the small green ponies.

Honestly, many OTTBs can be jumping around a 2' hunter course (sometimes with changes) in just a few weeks. Of course flatwork, fitness, topline, jumping form etc all takes much longer but they can easily go jump around very very soon after being restarted. It doesn't take a ton of muscle and it's nice to be able to see if you have a jumping minded horse right off the bat.

The goal is not to get your horse to jump around 2' in 10 months. That's easy. The goal is to create a rideable, nicely muscled, well schooled young hunter in 10 months. If you can do that, you can jump around 2'6" just fine.

Comment

Ditto that 2' classes are for riders, not for horses. They can't really have any kind of form over a fence that little, and 2'6" is not a serious athletic challenge for a horse with any potential to be a hunter. 2'6" is pretty little still. Even a baby horse can handle that height pretty quickly.
        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have known 2 people that showed 2', and neither prepared ahead of time, did well.or had their horses under control in general. Hopefully this weeds people like them out.

Comment

I suspect the the goal is to weed out RIDERS who are maxed out at 2'3 or 2'6. Honestly, with rare exception, most riders at that level are not really suitable to teach a horse to jump.

There is no reason why a healthy off track horse can't jump around 2'6 with about 8 or so months of training. That's enough time to determine suitability and get basics of form and manners. No one expects RRP hunters to me made AO horses. I don't know how you can even judge the jump over 2' fences. It's just a big open canter step for most of them.
            F O.B
            Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
            Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Totally makes sense and gets rid of the yahoos who just want to say that they "trained" a horse and took them to RRP. If you want to go just to have a goal, great. But too many people are throwing away the horse for their own ego.
              Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

If the idea is to market the retrained TB to the general Hunter market at a, more or less, comparable price to horses from other sources, it has to be doing closer to 3’ then lope overs at 2’. Those other horses are marketed doing enough height to assess form over an actual jump and the step to get down a real line, preferably at 12’.

No reason most off the track can’t be doing that after 8 or 9 months of consistent work. Don’t have to be perfect, just show they have step and style over actual jumps to interest actual buyers. Which is supposed be the point of showcasing former race horses.
                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I'm a little torn on this one, but I think in light of my own rounds and a number of others, it is probably the right decision, You see, I was one of those people who had truly awful 2' show hunter rounds. AWFUL. My RRP horse was (is) very well schooled on the flat and extremely brave. He loves the horse show setting. Never refused a fence in the 10 months I was training him and was great at all the shows we did. We didn't have consistent access to decent jumps, so we didn't have as much opportunity to school as we would have liked. But all of our off-farm schooling and horse shows went well. Baby stuff, sure, but nothing alarming. Mind you, I am an extremely conservative rider. Meaning if I'm not 200% certain my horse is capable, I won't do it. We did 2' because we wanted it to be easy and positive. The horse has scope for miles, but not miles of experience over 2'6. He was super in schooling, I mean SUPER. Soft, relaxed, I was thrilled with him and feeling great. Then we walked into the ring, and for reasons I can only guess (people in the pavilion, being alone in the ring, the ghosts of horses past, seriously, everything) he completely lost it. He spooked, he wanted to refuse (I was thankful that at 2' he could step over them, bc he did), and was generally in a complete panic and we were genuinely surprised. We had never had THAT horse before.

If we only could do 2'6, I probably would have scratched show hunters. As it is, we did dressage in the Rolex and he was a rockstar. Seriously, that was the part I was less prepared for. I've taken plenty of dressage lessons, but I've never done a dressage show. But we had 2 lovely tests.

So was my horse prepared? Yes. Was it enough? No. It's possible that with more schooling/practice, he would have been more prepared. It's also possible that no amount of preparation would have been sufficient because he's a 5 year old who'd only been off the track a year, and hes not a machine. I do know that the year of training, the shows, and the entire experience did him a world of good. He doesn't belong to me, he belongs to a friend who doesn't care to show, We wanted to do a project together and we enjoyed the process.

Comment

I speak from plenty of experience when I say, yes, it's hard to judge form over 2' hunters. About all you can do is look for an even pace and consistent distances, movement, changes, etc. On the one hand 2' is good beginner stuff, because you can usually get them around one way or the other, but it doesn't show much. Years ago, when we started at 3'6" the first couple of shows were always pretty hairy.

I kind of support the change to 2'6" and just give the horses a little more prep. Lots of horse with experience outdoors loose it when they go into an indoor like that for the first time. I would think time in an indoor, rather than more schooling over higher fences would help. But certainly if marketing is the bottom line, then the jumps need to be at 2'6" so you can actually show ability.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                      I speak from plenty of experience when I say, yes, it's hard to judge form over 2' hunters. About all you can do is look for an even pace and consistent distances, movement, changes, etc. On the one hand 2' is good beginner stuff, because you can usually get them around one way or the other, but it doesn't show much. Years ago, when we started at 3'6" the first couple of shows were always pretty hairy.

I kind of support the change to 2'6" and just give the horses a little more prep. Lots of horse with experience outdoors loose it when they go into an indoor like that for the first time. I would think time in an indoor, rather than more schooling over higher fences would help. But certainly if marketing is the bottom line, then the jumps need to be at 2'6" so you can actually show ability.
                      The show hunters competed outside this year . The horse I rode wasn't being marketed, but I agree that more structured and complete programs will only benefit the horses and the cause.

Comment

Agree with the posts above. The 2' divisions are for the new/nervous or I still want to show but an a wimp rider (that would be me) Many horses just canter or can be sloppy/disinterested in jumping at that height. These are "makeover" shows and needs to put the horse in the best light as a true makeover, not just cantering over fences for the sake of showing.

Comment

I'm speaking from two perspectives in this post; 1 is as a past competitor who selected and taught my horse well enough to win field hunters and to finish in 11th in jumpers at 3'. The second viewpoint is as a member of the officials (Show Jumper Steward ) for this year.

The point has been well made that 2' only existed in the hunter discipline. The jumpers, field hunters and eventers all started at 2'6". USEF doesn't have a recognized hunter division in their shows for 2'. Many schooling shows do, but USEF itself doesn't. The closest they come is the Outreach divisions and they are a part of USHJA, but not USEF. (More can be found here: https://www.ushja.org/application/fi...ons__Final.pdf)

I saw some sketchy stuff from the 2' competitors but I don't feel right commenting on it much due to being at my in gate and working when most things happened and I caught the occasional glimpse of 'issues' all the way on the end of the Claiborne ring so it's not like I saw a bunch nor had context of what was catching my eye.

As a past RRP trainer myself I would suggest that the people who are pushing back on this change are looking at it from a viewpoint of someone not very comfortable with jumping green horses on a traditional progress line. That is to say that the riders in question are saying a lot that this slow pace is for the best for a green horse but in fact we've seen how many millions of green horses progress from nil to 3' in 12 months with MANY programs over many decades with all breeds and varying skill level riders across hunters, jumpers, eventers, fox hunters and so on. I really do believe that the issue is the trainer's confidence and not the horse's. As such I would suggest that these riders are already not going to be accomplishing the goals set out by the underlying purpose of the RRP; to select a competent horse for a discipline and bring out it's best in roughly 8-10 months.

I have watched the RRP since it's earliest inception and the common thought I have always had is that it absolutely matters what trainer/rider is doing the educating. And that's not to say it has to be a big name, since many regular people have kicked the butts of Olympians. I am a huge fan now of Katherine Deichmann and the small mare she rode "Tenpins Sugar" who won the Show Jumping and was 5th in the hunters.

It really doesn't matter what amenities that you have at your barn, it matters how you teach the horse and give it more experiences to draw from in October when it matters. The first year (2015) we saw a LOT of googly eyed horses whose riders admitted that they'd never taken them off the farm. Thankfully that's improved a bit but honestly I don't know that every competitor understands that there is a TON of value in simply taking the horse in the trailer to somewhere new and standing around or going for a hack, or walking in a ring or doing a walk trot class at a hunter show even if you're not doing hunters. Its the folks who "get' how a horse learns and what they need who are the ones who will succeed. And honestly most of them can handle 2'6" no problem.

Emily

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

RRP did a webinar last night and it sounds like the biggest motivator was to eliminate scary riding and under prepared pairs. It makes total sense, and I really hope it works out.

I totally understand that all horses who can jump can jump 2'6." My disappointment is as a rider who likes to err on the side of caution with green horses: what about the riders who don't care to market their horse and are not in it to win it, but rather to go to a super unique show and keep things positive and easy? I thought part of the showcase was to show that competent riders of any background with a trainer can bring along the right thoroughbred. I didn't think that this was reserved for the best of the best.

I'm from Maryland and I remember the Thoroughbred Alliance Show Series, which was a series of shows for OTTB's and it was great because there were lots of horses there that were young and getting their feet wet in the show ring. There were baby and racehorse moments happening constantly and everyone there was really supportive. You wouldn't get that at a normal horse show. My hope was that the makeover would be like that, times 10, at a world class show facility that I don't think I would ever get to again. Its a bucket list thing- and I just want to set the bar low if jumping ends up being my horse's jam.

Comment

Though I agree with it isn't a useful projection of talent, the lower divisions often carry and support shows. In rated- the USHJA 2 foot or 2'6 can be packed. Not sure how the RRP shows work.
                              Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Can'tFindMyWhip View Post
                                RRP did a webinar last night and it sounds like the biggest motivator was to eliminate scary riding and under prepared pairs. It makes total sense, and I really hope it works out.

I totally understand that all horses who can jump can jump 2'6." My disappointment is as a rider who likes to err on the side of caution with green horses: what about the riders who don't care to market their horse and are not in it to win it, but rather to go to a super unique show and keep things positive and easy? I thought part of the showcase was to show that competent riders of any background with a trainer can bring along the right thoroughbred. I didn't think that this was reserved for the best of the best.

I'm from Maryland and I remember the Thoroughbred Alliance Show Series, which was a series of shows for OTTB's and it was great because there were lots of horses there that were young and getting their feet wet in the show ring. There were baby and racehorse moments happening constantly and everyone there was really supportive. You wouldn't get that at a normal horse show. My hope was that the makeover would be like that, times 10, at a world class show facility that I don't think I would ever get to again. Its a bucket list thing- and I just want to set the bar low if jumping ends up being my horse's jam.
                                This is exactly my thoughts. We were in no rush and wanted to keep things positive and easy. We essentially had no jumps at the farm he lived at, so all jumping was a field trip. We did a lot of field trips. We did lessons. We did shows. He was great. This one was just overwhelming for him.

For reference (in case people are inclined to think we are complete yahoos), the horse in question (Ann's O'Prado if it doesn't link directly to our pictures: https://canterclix.com/media.details.php?mediaID=13025

Comment

Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
                                  Though I agree with it isn't a useful projection of talent, the lower divisions often carry and support shows. In rated- the USHJA 2 foot or 2'6 can be packed. Not sure how the RRP shows work.
                                  No division exceeds 3'3" the entire show. The lion's share would be between Hunters, Jumpers and Dressage.

There are 10 disciplines. This year over 400 horses competed and riders are limited to 2 horses for the entire event. Horses are limited to 2 disciplines.

Dressage
                                  Hunters
                                  Jumpers
                                  Field Hunters
                                  Eventing
                                  Polo
                                  Barrel Racing
                                  Competitive Trail
                                  Ranch Work
                                  Freestyle

Em

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post

This is exactly my thoughts. We were in no rush and wanted to keep things positive and easy. We essentially had no jumps at the farm he lived at, so all jumping was a field trip. We did a lot of field trips. We did lessons. We did shows. He was great. This one was just overwhelming for him.
                                    You never really know, right? I'm local to the Prince George's Equestrian Center which is home to some major national shows as well as a popular schooling series. It's a big, busy show environment and I can think of a few people who showed their projects there, thought they were golden, and totally crapped the bed at the Makeover. I hear is a show environment unlike anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Can'tFindMyWhip View Post

You never really know, right? I'm local to the Prince George's Equestrian Center which is home to some major national shows as well as a popular schooling series. It's a big, busy show environment and I can think of a few people who showed their projects there, thought they were golden, and totally crapped the bed at the Makeover. I hear is a show environment unlike anything else.
                                      Yes! I'm in MD too and we were also at PGEC! Just goes to show .

Comment

I get it, but it makes me sad. The RRP is nice because a backyard equestrian with limited resources could get a cheap ottb and do something they feel is great and get to go to a big fancy show and be proud. Like many have mentioned, it tends to be the atmosphere that gets to the horses. This will just eliminate those who can’t afford to go to lots of big shows to ensure their horses won’t unravel and not being able to play it safe by doing the 2 footers. Another nail in the coffin for the limited resource, independent rider.

Comment

Working...
                                        X