Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

THC_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

helmets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmets

So, I am reaccumulating a show wardrobe after many years of not showing.
    Currently, helmet is next on my list

I have narrowed down tho One K defender, One K defender air, & Trauma void EQ3.

Opinions please between these three? Tried on all but the one K air. Both seemed to fit fine.

I have the oneK and like it. I do wish I waited a few months to get the Tipperary Royal Wide Brim. It sits much lower on the back of my head and I feel like it's more secure/ safe for some reason.
    www.abacusfurniture.com

Bit Chair: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNfIUYig...bacusfurniture

Comment

Trauma void has the MIPS in it and the 1K’s don’t, so from a safety standpoint it’s better. That being said, I have a 1K and it fits me well, the adjustable liners help get you a better fit.

if I were you, and the both fit well, I’d probably go with the Trauma for the additional safety factors.

Comment

I have the trauma void and I absolutely love it- plus feel safer knowing it has MIPS.

Comment

I had several One K helmets and liked them better than any helmet I’d ever had. I was dragged into getting a TraumaVoid EQ3 kicking & screaming. Within a day or 2, I liked how on much better than the One K. And the safety factor with the MIPS technology. I also really like how the helmet liner & inside of the harness are CoolMax. That makes the helmet get less gross w/ heat & sweat than the One K.

Comment

I am new to the forum and considering buying a TraumaVoid EQ3. Has anyone fallen with one? I have taken some pretty nasty falls from my 17.2 boys that left me with a concussion and post concussive syndrome. I am an older rider and I don't want to give up but can't afford anymore head injuries. Your thoughts ?

Comment

I am 68.

I fell wearing a TraumaVoid EQ3. At a walk.

6 yr. old OTTB, first nippy morning, he had not been turned out yet, the other horses started running, then an 18 hand OTTB came charging down right outside the arena fence, and the OTTB I was riding, at a walk, sort of elevated himself into the air, gave a back shimmy, and off I went into deep sand.

My head was fine, and my very problematic neck was fine. My riding teacher checked me out some and saw no signs of brain involvement, I was not dizzy, no double vision, and both sides of my body worked fine.

I did crack two ribs though in spite of wearing a safety vest.

I am glad I was wearing my new helmet!

Comment

I had OneKs for several years. When I needed a new helmet (one fall in OneK..time for a new lid!), I tried nearly every brand at my local store...probably 8 different helmets. The Lynx from TraumaVoid was the absolute winner-- fit like a glove, comfortable from beginning to end of every ride since then. I love that it has MIPs and looks great.

That said, I also bought a Tipperary Sportage when I needed a helmet for a trail ride. I love the way it fits as well, and felt very secure in it, even though it isn't MIPs equipped.

Try on every helmet. Buy the one that fits your head properly, even if it isn't MIPs or the "hot brand". If it's black and bland, no one is going to notice the brand name in the ring or even care!
                Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

Just ordered the trauma void. Thank you all

Comment

PSA - there will be a new Tipperary from the Royal line that will have MIPS coming out in the new year! Saw it was on pre-order at one of the shops at The Royal this year. I’m loving the look of the wide brim model and thinking that will replace my current Samshield since it’s coming up on its 5 years next year.

I’ve wanted a MIPS helmet for the additional safety but admittedly find the look of the Trauma Void helmets unappealing so haven’t even bothered to try one on but I’m loving the look of the new Tipperary’s!

Comment

This thread makes me so so very happy. YAY for all the MIPS folks!!!

I do think it's important to remember that just as the time when cars were starting to come out with airbags but not all makes/models had them yet... It's like this with the MIPS. One K, Tipperary, Ovation have all said they have forthcoming models.

I may own and wear Trauma Voids but I am constantly talking to people about the MIPS technology and I promise I don't care which brand you have your MIPS in, but PLEASE try to get a helmet with it. It will and has saved lives. (Mine is just 1 story out of so many, and far more when you factor in all the other sports that use MIPS helmets as well)

REMEMBER for those looking at the EQ3, the helmet liners that are included are NOT 2 identical helmet liners. One is for oval shape and one is not. PLEASE PLEASE try the helmet on with both liners to best determine that actual fit.

Em

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Rescuer View Post
                        PSA - there will be a new Tipperary from the Royal line that will have MIPS coming out in the new year! Saw it was on pre-order at one of the shops at The Royal this year. I’m loving the look of the wide brim model and thinking that will replace my current Samshield since it’s coming up on its 5 years next year.

I’ve wanted a MIPS helmet for the additional safety but admittedly find the look of the Trauma Void helmets unappealing so haven’t even bothered to try one on but I’m loving the look of the new Tipperary’s!
                        Yasssss!
                        www.abacusfurniture.com

Bit Chair: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNfIUYig...bacusfurniture

Comment

I tried SO hard to make the Trauma Void work but it just didn't fit. The best fitting helmets for me are the GPA speed air and the One K Defender. My wallet much prefers the One K
                          Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                          My equine soulmate
                          Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Samshield/GPA for more oval heads
                            Kask for more round heads

Comment

Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
                              I tried SO hard to make the Trauma Void work but it just didn't fit. The best fitting helmets for me are the GPA speed air and the One K Defender. My wallet much prefers the One K
                              I was (still am) a One K Defender in oval to long oval lover but I needed a new helmet with MISP tech. I have Charles Owen My PS with MISP and it fits me well. Causes me to over heat in 30 F weather but I'm willing to ride in a tank top this time of year if my brain bucket is a bit safer. You might find that helmet to work for you.

Comment

dani0303 Your best bet might be to reach out to OneK and see when they're anticipating having their MIPS helmet on the market.

I am all for everyone getting a MIPS helmet but really only if you can get one that you love to wear.

Out of curiosity did you try both the Lynx and the EQ3?

Em
                                "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

I am so excited for the Tipperary, my Ovation is on the smallest dial of the S and still moves around a bit - the XS Tipperary has always been the best fit on me but I wasn’t brave enough to wear the Sportage in the show ring.... hoping their MIPS follows similar sizing.

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                                    dani0303 Your best bet might be to reach out to OneK and see when they're anticipating having their MIPS helmet on the market.

I am all for everyone getting a MIPS helmet but really only if you can get one that you love to wear.

Out of curiosity did you try both the Lynx and the EQ3?

Em
                                    The Lynx wasn't out yet when I bought my helmet
                                    My equine soulmate

Comment

Originally posted by dani0303 View Post

The Lynx wasn't out yet when I bought my helmet
                                      When did you buy your helmet? The Lynx has been out for a while.

Em

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post

When did you buy your helmet? The Lynx has been out for a while.

Em
                                        Early 2018. If it was out the Dover I went to didn't have it. They only had one style of Trauma Void
                                        My equine soulmate

Comment

Working...
                                        X