Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

HugesCaroline_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

People Attempting to Undermine Safe Sport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm possibly going to hell for saying this out loud but perhaps these "membership" fees are helping to offset some lost revenue from a big deal annual clinic that had to be cancelled just recently.
    Power to the People

Comment

• I get it takes money to do things but......

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MHM View Post

A quick glance at the website shows membership levels that range from $25-300.

Does it sound like these panels will only be open to people who have paid the membership fee?
        Now I see what you were looking at.

The way I read it, the panel discussions will only be open to folks who have paid to be a member. Membership benefits that they list include “members only” invitations, and access to a “members only” portion of their website. I would assume the invitations they are talking about refer to these panel discussions. But I could certainly be wrong... it’s unclear for sure.

It’s also unclear as to whether they are inviting authorized representatives from USEF and Safe Sport to their panel discussions... or just inviting them to sit down and “negotiate.”

Sswor - I totally am chuckling at your comment. But in all fairness, they are applying for non profit status, and the budget does not indicate that any of the officers are getting any sort of a salary for their work with Athletes for Equity. However... this whole concept does sort of strike me as similar to a clinic. A bunch of horse people who are part of the same small circle are going to pay a fee to attend “members only” educational events. Where individuals who have gone through an actual Safe Sport investigation, and attorneys who have actual experience representing a client who has gone through a Safe Sport investigation will be part of an “educational” discussion panel. Call me nuts... but this sounds like it might be a George Morris clinic by another name. And if it is, and no one is profiting... I guess it’s legal and not a Safe Sport violation. Freedom of association is certainly a constitutional right, and this seems like it technically wouldn’t violate Safe Sport code.

Maybe I am out of order though. And GM, as well as his legal team, will have ZILCH to do with these panels.

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post
          I'm 51 and I grew up in the SF Bay Area. AIDS was on my radar by the time I was of dating age, and, thanks to people who fought hard before me and a vocally pro-choice mom, I got to take for granted that pregnancy was a choice rather than a risk. So my friend's point about how different sex might have looked to those who found it suddenly "without cost" that it had been for previous generations, and not at all like it was for me, where the "STD" you were avoiding would kill you with lots of suffering and stigma in the offing, was well-taken.

To be intellectually honest, then, I have to say that someone raised in my moment (and someone raised female) probably can't fully get into the shoes of a swinging gay man in the 1970s and walk a mile.
          I'm slightly older than you, and had several gay male friends at that time. Things were in general much more free, but still - sex with minors (especially those under 16) was not only uncool, it was criminal.

There's a big difference between a one-night stand with someone one met at a bar (presuming they were not clearly under age) and sex with someone one *knows* is a minor.

Just sayin'.

Comment

• they aren’t selling a product to the public
            The particular form of non-profit that they've made themselves requires that they have a substantial "membership" base of paid members. They also have to be careful about not having an income from "unrelated business" because that income would be taxable to them, and cannot be more than half their income. For example, selling T-shirts to nonmembers to fundraise can be considered an "unrelated business."
            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• How are youth in the sport supposed to feel like they are supported and protected when a JUDGE is running around bad mouthing and attempting to undermine the organization that was put in place to ensure that the bad actors are taken care of?

Comment

• Athletes for Equity has posted another letter on their Facebook page to "Interested Parties". Pretty much the standard party line - USEF and SafeSport aren't telling the truth about the process, violating constitutional rights and due process, people have received lifetime bans without being told the charges first, etc, etc.

Reassuringly, the Facebook page only has around 300 likes and the only review (5 stars) is from DC.

Comment

• And... here's the letter. Again constitutional rights, due process, yada yada yada.,..

Athletes For Equity In Sport, Inc.
                  AthletesForEquity@gmail.com
                  10130 Northlake Blvd. ste 217-171
                  West Palm Beach, FL 33412
                  AthletesForEquity.org

January 16, 2020

Dear Interested Parties,

"Contrary to the recently published statements by Safe Sport and USEF, it has been the collective experience or several lawyers representing the accused and supporting Athletes for Equity in Sport, Inc.'s efforts, in their many interactions with representatives of Safe Sport, that the representatives of Safe Sport demonstrate a severe prosecutorial bias and a wanton disregard for fundamental fairness in the processing of cases from the accusation stage to the punishment stage.

The Safe Sport system is flawed as it ignores basic constitutional protections granted to all persons subjected to such processes/determinations that will deny both the reporting party and accused significant fundamental commercial and individual rights and liberties. For example; individuals reporting abuse have waited months; even up to a year in some cases, a response from The Center for Safesport, More than one accused has been banned for life by The Center for SafeSport effectively denying the banned trainers the means to work at his/her chosen profession. without first providing a hearing, without affording the accused With a statement Of the charges against them, without affording the accused with the ability to discover and rebut the evidence to be used against them or to cross examine witnesses who have offered testimony against them,

The Center for SafeSport cannot undertake to do for the Government what the Government itself cannot do, Yet, as an entity created by statute to essentially police sport. they claim they can ignore the right of notice to be heard and a fair hearing before the taking of such rights, which must by law only occur in an appropriate and measured administrative process. If the government can simply sidestep procedural and substantive due process constraints by passing a statute to create an "independent" entity to do its bidding unconstrained by such constitutional limits on government action, then we live in a dangerous time and in a dangerous place."

Executive Committee and Attorney's for Athletes for Equity in Sport, Inc.

Comment

• Does anyone know if Diane Carney is still the USHJA Gold Star Clinic Coordinator as she states on her farm website?
                    https://www.telluridefarm.com/about-diane.html

‘If so, is it really appropriate for someone working against USEF and Safesport to be in such a position?

Comment

• If I had been banned without a hearing, I would be screaming about it from the top of my lungs. Anyone hear that? Unless I was guilty, of course. Then I'd just let "the collective experience of many lawyers" speak for me.

The point about the timeline for the victims is laughable. This group wants it t be a criminal system, right? Since when is the criminal system any faster?
                      You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• Just want to sow doubt in the minds of those who just read snippets about Safesport

Comment

• I’m amused that the general public has to pay to know who these people are that have been disenfranchised by Safe Sport. I’m also highly amused Bonnie Navin was advocating JAMS arbitration for drugging suspensions. I guess JAMS is a good thing until they find their friends guilty.

Comment

• I'm waiting to hear the name of the person "banned for life without a hearing."
                            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Original Poster

oneequestrienne It definitely appears like she is still the coordinator for that clinic. Which makes me assume that the other information concerning her schedule is also correct... including that she is judging in Florida early February.

The most recent letter is signed by the Athletes For Equity in Sport Executive Committee, and their attorneys. Just for clarity... here is the information from their website...

President – Diane Carney
                              Vice President – Kelly Cormaci
                              Secretary – Vanessa Brown
                              Treasurer – Richard Cyr

Legal Council
                              Frost Brown Todd LLC
                              Michael Romm, Esq

At a certain point... it seems like if these folks can not endorse Safe Sport as a USEF program... they need to step down as USEF officials. I can understand going ahead with the clinics as scheduled, and not disrupting major shows at the last minute in terms of finding different judges with similar credentials... but at some point either Athletes for Equity needs to wind down, or people closely associated with it need to step down from their roles as licensed officials and USHJA/USEF representatives, or step down from their positions with Athletes for Equity.

Comment

• Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                                I'm waiting to hear the name of the person "banned for life without a hearing."
                                It will cost you a membership fee. Mabye we should all chip in and designate a POC that will be a mole for us.

Comment

• Original Poster

Denali6298

Honestly though, I suspect the number of attendees for their “information sessions” is so limited, and part of such a small circle... that it would be fairly obvious to these folks that the mole is indeed a mole.

I think COTH should contact them and ask if a reporter can attend a session and then write an article about it. If it’s all legitimate and above board, with relevant information about how flawed Safe Sport really is being shared... good to know. If instead, it’s a small group of people essentially meeting up to sit around with someone who is on the banned list because they sexually abused children... and then listening intently to the banned persons experience with a sympathetic ear, because all these people agree that Safe Sport is the problem which needs to be addressed ASAP?

Comment

• Did anybody else receive an email today from this Athletes for Equity? I am not a member, have not liked their Facebook page, haven't subscribed to anything - I've visited the website ONCE after reading these threads to find out what it said.

The bottom of the email says "You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.". I 100% DID NOT opt in via the website or any other manner.

I'm in Canada so it appears this is actually violating our CASL laws, so that's interesting...

ETA - the email is soliciting membership in the group
                                    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

• Originally posted by SolarFlare View Post
                                      Did anybody else receive an email today from this Athletes for Equity? I am not a member, have not liked their Facebook page, haven't subscribed to anything - I've visited the website ONCE after reading these threads to find out what it said.

The bottom of the email says "You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.". I 100% DID NOT opt in via the website or any other manner.

I'm in Canada so it appears this is actually violating our CASL laws, so that's interesting...

ETA - the email is soliciting membership in the group
                                      Given that Phelps media was responsible for the George Morris email blast, my bet is the same source is responsible for this one, or at least the exchange or sale of email addresses

defending sex offenders really is becoming something of a cottage industry for some of the horsey set, isn't it?
                                      Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• No email here and I've definitely been all over their website to read every disgusting thing they put out there.

Comment

• Here's the text of the email copied and pasted:
                                          Athletes for Equity in Sport, Inc.

Today's news

Athletes for Equity in Sport Announces the Second Phase of Our Development: Membership

If you previously donated to Athletes for Equity* through our GoFundMe page, Facebook page, or via private donation, you are already a member. Please contact us at athletesforequitynews@gmail.com with your name and email address to register your membership.

Remember: Every donation goes toward the costs of advocating for change — including public education, legal expertise, and Congressional outreach — to help make SafeSport a fair and equitable process.

Membership levels available are:
                                          • Platinum
                                          • Gold
                                          • Silver
                                          • Bronze

Membership benefits include:
                                          • Members-only invitations
                                          • Access to our exclusive Members Only web page (coming soon)
                                          • Newsletter with progress updates
                                          • Stories, links, and live events
                                          • Voting rights
                                          • Members suggestion box
                                          • Automatic annual renewal

The future of your sport depends on you. Become a member, and make a difference!

Join us at AthletesForEquity.org.
                                          For more information, contact athletesforequity@gmail.com.

*nonprofit corporation applying for tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(6) organization

I am going to email back (the "from" email is the gmail address referenced above) and ask them exactly how they got my email address to send this. I'll post back if I get an answer.
                                          I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Working...
                                          X