Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe Sport Refresher Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe Sport Refresher Time

Well, as if the first time around wasn't long enough, there is a "refresher". It appears that it is at least a couple of hours of video. Enjoy folks!
    kenyagirl

Originally posted by kenyarider View Post
    Well, as if the first time around wasn't long enough, there is a "refresher". It appears that it is at least a couple of hours of video. Enjoy folks!
    I just completed the refresher module, it took a whopping 18 minutes (and was mostly clicking through test questions you should already know the answers to). I'm good now until Jan 2021. The horror...18 minutes of my time, in an effort to increase awareness and hopefully keep someone safe.

Just a reminder, no one is forcing us to compete our luxury show pets.
    War Horse Blog
    Blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse

Comment

Sure beats the 2 hours of on line, and 1 hour of in person training I do yearly as a teacher, along with biennial CPR/first aid 4 hour classes. I’m all for Safe Sport.
      Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I already did mine (in August). Took 25 minutes max. Happy to do. Worth it to help even a single child stay safe.
        A blonde & her hunter:
        www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

I did similar training every year as a federal employee and every year now as a teacher, along with more than another dozen modules.

I'm so confused by the resistance or attitude that this is onerous and/or unusual.
          Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

12 minutes total, including log in, pre-test, review material, take post test, view certificate, and log out. I even had to take the post test twice as I failed it the first time. (Kind of embarrassing as I am a court appointed special advocate for abused kids, but some of the rules differ. That's my excuse, anyway!)

There is only one video and it is less than 2 minutes long.

Obviously you didn't attempt it. Or.... well, that would be very uncharitable and I won't go there.

Small price to pay to keep things on the up and up!

Comment

Yup. Took about 15 minutes of my life to update everything. No big deal.

Comment

Took me 15 minutes, I did it in September. Not much time and I thought it was a good reminder.

Comment

• Original Poster

Folks, the video I got is 1.36 long - which is an hour and a half. Thank you all for your comments, so nice to have people that have to be reminded of things. Some of us actually retain what we've learned.
                  kenyagirl

Comment

You probably clicked on the wrong video. The refresher section is its own link at the bottom of the page and has 1 video in it that’s less than 5 minutes.

Either way, I agree with the others who have to do trainings for their job - not a big deal.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                      You probably clicked on the wrong video. The refresher section is its own link at the bottom of the page and has 1 video in it that’s less than 5 minutes.

Either way, I agree with the others who have to do trainings for their job - not a big deal.
                      Also interesting to me that people will complain about this, and I’ve never seen anybody complain about getting an annual Coggins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneAway View Post

I just completed the refresher module, it took a whopping 18 minutes (and was mostly clicking through test questions you should already know the answers to). I'm good now until Jan 2021. The horror...18 minutes of my time, in an effort to increase awareness and hopefully keep someone safe.

Just a reminder, no one is forcing us to compete our luxury show pets.
                        Thank you for sharing how long it took you and that it was not a big deal to get finished! Nice to know that I can get it done on lunch this week - good to tick off my to-do list. I appreciate it!

Comment

There isn't a profession around that doesn't have to do continuing education. We do annual updates for security clearances. The Boy Scouts require youth protection training every year. I have to have 12 hours a year of continuing education as a guardian ad litem volunteer, as do attorney guardian ad litems. The thing I was certified in once upon a time had educational requirements to get re-certified, on the order of 10 hours or so a year. So 15 minutes is a drop in the bucket, eh?

You don't have to imply that we are lamebrains for doing continuing ed. There must be a bunch of us - see paragraph above. Just admit that you looked at the wrong place on the web page, we can all have a good laugh, and move on.

SafeSport is not the root of all evil in the world.

Comment

• Original Poster

Folks, if one is an amateur, one has to do Safe Sport. I am totally willing to be trained in my profession - riding/showing is not is not my profession, it is a hobby and I am not thrilled about having to be "trained" in detecting child sex abuse AND a mandatory reporter. That's my objection.
                            kenyagirl

Comment

Folks, if one is an amateur, one has to do Safe Sport. I am totally willing to be trained in my profession - riding/showing is not is not my profession, it is a hobby and I am not thrilled about having to be "trained" in detecting child sex abuse AND a mandatory reporter. That's my objection.
                              I mean you don't have to compete in usef shows.

Comment

you have to jump thru the hoops to play the game, but I do question the shot gun approach to safe sport training - to be honest I really don't pay any attention to kids at horse shows beyond not running them down in the warm up area. If you are a DIY type and not stabled or part of a barn environment and are not responsible for any kids you are unlikely to be in an position for any of the training to apply.

Comment

By the way, the video in the refresher training, presumably the one you were complaining about, OP, is 1:34 - which is 1 minute and 34 seconds. I just went and looked in the refresher module. Not that it matters.
                                  https://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628

Comment

• Original Poster

Folks, my major point is that now I am a mandatory reporter. That means that I am suddenly responsible for things that I don't want to be responsible for. If I wanted to be a police officer, I would be one. I am not and I do not appreciate having that responsibility and the liability it brings forced on me. Where I live there are NO or very few unrecognized shows so its the AA or A shows or nothing at all. Forcing someone to take on an obligation in order to make people feel better about child sex abuse is absurd. Jeffrey Epstein, Larry Nasser, George Morris did their bad deeds practically in front of the world and for years, and years, no one who knew did anything. Do you actually think that people who hang with those sorts of people are suddenly going to start reporting? I doubt it. People are constantly looking the other way about terrible situations, e.g., homelessness, straight pipe sewers in Alabama's rural areas, lead in the water in Michigan's schools, plastic bits choking marine mammals. I did the original one and I do not like the US Congress forcing me and all of you to become mandatory reporters, most especially the US Congress! I am sorry if all of you don't like that I don't like doing this mandatory task but I do resent it and am only doing it reluctantly. I wasn't trying to have an argument, just remind everyone of this obligation from SafeSport. As far as the time to do it, I stand corrected it was not one and half hours. Let's end this now and move on to discussing something more interesting.
                                    kenyagirl

Comment

or like, you could not show usef shows and not feel so burdened?

Comment

Folks, my major point is that now I am a mandatory reporter. That means that I am suddenly responsible for things that I don't want to be responsible for. If I wanted to be a police officer, I would be one. I am not and I do not appreciate having that responsibility and the liability it brings forced on me. Where I live there are NO or very few unrecognized shows so its the AA or A shows or nothing at all. Forcing someone to take on an obligation in order to make people feel better about child sex abuse is absurd. Jeffrey Epstein, Larry Nasser, George Morris did their bad deeds practically in front of the world and for years, and years, no one who knew did anything. Do you actually think that people who hang with those sorts of people are suddenly going to start reporting? I doubt it. People are constantly looking the other way about terrible situations, e.g., homelessness, straight pipe sewers in Alabama's rural areas, lead in the water in Michigan's schools, plastic bits choking marine mammals. I did the original one and I do not like the US Congress forcing me and all of you to become mandatory reporters, most especially the US Congress! I am sorry if all of you don't like that I don't like doing this mandatory task but I do resent it and am only doing it reluctantly. I wasn't trying to have an argument, just remind everyone of this obligation from SafeSport. As far as the time to do it, I stand corrected it was not one and half hours. Let's end this now and move on to discussing something more interesting.
                                        [edit]. Now carry on to something more interesting. You've spent more time whinging about the training than it takes to do.
                                        Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 19, 2019, 10:05 AM. Reason: personal commentary
                                        ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Comment

Working...
                                        X