Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to chicken out of my first h/j schooling show in years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

I see 2 very well argued paths. No idea how I feel now. But I think I've found a little compromise, I learned they offer Friday schooling! So I'm hauling down this afternoon to school, if he's a buffoon we'll scratch, if he's civilized, we'll go for it.

My trainer was able to school him over fences on Wednesday, and he was good, as well as me flatting him yesterday with reasonable behavior given the weather. So it'll all depend on how tonight goes.

Wish me luck.. I've asked my parents to ensure video coverage, so if debauchery occurs it'll be on video!
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did – in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Official Secretary of Sass

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
      Victorius has a great point.

Here to encourage you is a GOD AWFUL ride of mine from circa 2004. And boy did I learn a ton that day!!!!

Mainly.... not every gelding takes correction well.

1:40 is where it gets good.

Enjoy!!!

Em

https://youtu.be/ekBOVyr-h3k
      Thank you for the video, looks like we had twins... mine is the same lol. At least once a month my trainer curses at him and asks why I bought a mare! Once, she had to get on during a lesson, and school him hard. Not pretty to watch, but very effective. After I got back on and rode more, she tried to bring me my water... he spun hard every time she got close! No way was she getting near him. Little stinky chestnuts.

Edit: I poked him with a spur when he ducked behind my leg. Here is the result.
      https://youtu.be/xwvbKOv3nDE?t=215
      When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did – in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Comment

50/50 for me. On one hand, you are in your head over the former barn and that’s a huge waste of time and confidence sucker. STOP IT. Nothing personal but grow up about such things.

But on the other hand, your horse may, in fact, not be ready to have a successful outing given the lack of prep described. You don’t want to set yourself and the horse up for failure.

The added info about schooling this afternoon and you have the ability to haul over for it seems a perfect solution. Would recommend your start schooling at 2’6” if not even lower the first few jumps, see where your and the horse are at. After you school, don’t feel you have to horse show tomorrow either. Feel free to end the experience on a positive note without the stress of showing. That’s probably what would do, school today, skip the show and build on the successful schooling session. Always a risk when you are rusty...and it’s cold. Never helps.

Obviously, if schooling doesn’t go well, do what you can to end on a positive and skip the show. And stay out of your head over the barn thing, that does nothing at all for your horse and only negatives for you. Sets you up to feel you have to prove something to that former barn, don’t do that to yourself. Nothing to prove except in your head.

Do expect a update on this.
        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

OP- another vote for going! You may get there and scratch out of everything but I bet dollars to doughnuts you'll still have a wonderful weekend with your horse reacquainting him with the show ring. We're all doing this for the EXPEREINCE, who cares if you go in the ring in pursuit of a $2 ribbon or not? As for the former trainer, it seems like they have shown you who they truly are. People can be connected without being respected... we've all known a few of those in our day. Better to keep on being you and let them behave they way they will- nothing you can do to stop it. as for your current trainer, their job is to TRAIN you- meaning they help you with all the mistakes you'll make, all the wrong instincts, all the blunders. We all have them. To be there doing her job, that's why you hired her. If she thought it was dangerous, she'd tell you not to go. She's not saying that- she's saying, let's go have another learning experience. That's fantastic!

I hope you enjoy your weekend, regardless of what you end up doing. Three cheers for the dogged ammie

Comment

Victorius has a great point.

Here to encourage you is a GOD AWFUL ride of mine from circa 2004. And boy did I learn a ton that day!!!!

Mainly.... not every gelding takes correction well.

1:40 is where it gets good.

Enjoy!!!

Em

https://youtu.be/ekBOVyr-h3k
            OMG. This is the best thing I've seen today. The commentary is pure gold.

"Neither of them moved to COME HELP."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
            The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Comment

Go. Then update us! It's "practice". You can scratch if you need to, but you tried, you went, and you may even win the ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by propspony View Post

OMG. This is the best thing I've seen today. The commentary is pure gold.

"Neither of them moved to COME HELP."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
                Oh Lord. I always watch my videos muted. I completely forgot about the commentary!

Later the guys told me there was a brief conversation between the two of then that went something lime this. (15 years later I'm definitely paraphrasing)

Ex: (noticed me down. Reportedly took 1 step. )

Dad: "Don't do it. Just stay here. "

Both wait. I GET back on and go

Dad: "Wait until you're forced to go the ER. IF you wait long enough usually someone else will go before you. " (Said with a big smile. )

Note: My dad had awful series of taking me or a friend of mine to the ER for like 10 events in a 2 year period.

Em

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

I went! And I'm so happy I did. Horse put in two really solid and clean rounds, both way slow but seeing as we haven't really ever tried to go fast I'm only a little disappointed about falling last in both. My training side is very very happy, my competitive side needs a little mollification.

Overall good experience.
                  First round and jump off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mi...ature=youtu.be

ETA: apparently I also severely underestimated what height we'd been jumping in lessons, we were solidly schooling 3'6" .

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixer View Post
                    I went! And I'm so happy I did. Horse put in two really solid and clean rounds, both way slow but seeing as we haven't really ever tried to go fast I'm only a little disappointed about falling last in both. My training side is very very happy, my competitive side needs a little mollification.

Overall good experience.

ETA: apparently I also severely underestimated what height we'd been jumping in lessons, we were solidly schooling 3'6" .
                    Ok that was perfect!

This is exactly why you can't bail when you're overthinking. You are plenty confident and personally I would love to have seen you and your house do a 1m or there abouts class. You're both very capable, which isn't as easy to tell from just internet postings.

I hope you get to go to another show soonish!

Great job and I truly appreciate you sharing your day and video with us!

Em
                    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

You are plenty confident and personally I would love to have seen you and your house do a 1m or there abouts class.

Em
                      That's asking a bit much don't you think?

Well done OP!

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixer View Post

Overall good experience.

That is awesome!! You look great, too!

Comment

Way to go for getting out there and doing it! You guys look great!

Comment

Love your horse! He looked great.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok that was perfect!

This is exactly why you can't bail when you're overthinking. You are plenty confident and personally I would love to have seen you and your house do a 1m or there abouts class. You're both very capable, which isn't as easy to tell from just internet postings.

I hope you get to go to another show soonish!

Great job and I truly appreciate you sharing your day and video with us!

Em
                              Y'all are very sweet! I'd love to try something bigger, but 2'9" is the highest class they offer. We'll have to go out of state to try anything bigger. Which is a daunting task in itself... We'll just have to see how the winter goes, and try and decide if I can justify the expense!

Comment

Good job. You got out of your head and got something accomplished, much more important then the clock. Now you can build on that positive experience and that is the point.
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Yay you!!!!!
                                  \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

All I can say is GOOD FOR YOU!!! Your rounds looked terrific and it took a lot of courage to make it happen. Also, to the person videoing who whispered good job as you jumped the yellow flowers and other quiet encouragements, I am melting at the sweetness!

Comment

I agree that your videographer was wonderful!!Nice job,OP! Stay focused on your path and you will find that all of that other negativity falls away. Kudos to you for braving it!!

Comment

Working...
                                      X