Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Globe and Mail story today. Canada may lose invitation to 2020 Olympics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe and Mail story today. Canada may lose invitation to 2020 Olympics

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-positive-for/

Canada’s equestrian jumping team is likely to lose its invitation to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo after rider Nicole Walker tested positive for a banned substance, cocaine, at last summer’s Pan American Games, a result she blames on coca tea.
    Globe and Mail story today.

Who drinks coca tea if they know they have to face a drugs test?

Comment

It seems pretty likely this was due to coca tea, given where she was when she tested positive. I hope she can ride.

From Wiki:

The leaves of the coca plant contain alkaloidswhich—when extracted chemically—are the source for cocaine base. However, the amount of coca alkaloid in the raw leaves is small. A cup of coca tea prepared from one gram of coca leaves (the typical contents of a tea bag) contains approximately 4.2 mg of organic coca alkaloid.[1] (In comparison, a typical dose (a "line") of cocaine contains between 20 and 30 milligrams.[2]) Owing to the presence of these alkaloids, coca tea is a mild stimulant; its consumption may be compared to consumption of a moderately strong cup of coffee or tea.[3] The coca alkaloid content of coca tea is such that the consumption of one cup of coca tea can cause a positive result on a drug test for cocaine, however.[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
        Someone who is clueless about it. I highly doubt she thought she was doing anything wrong; she might not have made the coca -> cocaine connection.

Seems similar to someone eating a few poppy seed muffins.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabedvm View Post

Someone who is clueless about it. I highly doubt she thought she was doing anything wrong; she might not have made the coca -> cocaine connection.

Seems similar to someone eating a few poppy seed muffins.
          Agree with wannabedvm. I am guessing most people would not make a connection between coco tea and cocaine. Honestly, when I saw the word coca, I immediately thought of cocoa and assumed it would be some kind of yummy chocolate tea.

As someone who has never tried a single illegal drug in my entire life, and sounds like it may be the same for Nicole Walker, I cannot believe how devastating it would be to test positive for cocaine, knowing full well it is not something you ever intentionally ingested.

www.DaventryEquestrian.com
          Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
          Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
          www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

Oh brother, everyone has an excuse. Why do they bother drug testing at all anymore?
            Power to the People

Comment

But WHY ban the whole team? That is so unfair! Even if she did do cocaine, just ban the one rider. I hate this for our Canadian friends.

Comment

The ban would not be for the team, as I understand it. The ban would be for NW but losing her scores from the PanAms loses Canada their Olympic qualification.

Comment

I would have expected EVERY competing team (in every discipline) to warn the athletes against drinking coca tea.

I thought it was common knowledge (even among those with no contact with the drug world) that cocaine comes from coca leaves (and that CocaCola is called that because it used to contain extracts from coca leaves, and thus small amounts of cocaine).

But if even ONE athlete doesn't know, the teams needs to warn them all.
                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

It seems ludicrous to think that everyone who competes at that level could be so careful about everything that gets near the horses, and then someone could be so careless about their own intake, if that’s what happened. Very unfortunate.

Comment

It's a shame there is such a long gap between taking the test and getting the results. It seems pretty crucial that she find some witnesses who can support her story that she consumed coca tea--her dining companions, or maybe the restaurant can dig up the receipt...

Her explanation seems plausible to me, but I could imagine the authorities won't accept it without supporting evidence.

Comment

Canada's Olympic jumping team has also suffered a big hit with Ian Millar's retirement and Eric LaMaze's health problems. Over the past couple decades Canada's jumping team regularly got Olympic medals , but now it's an open question who if anybody can step up and fill their places. Canada doesn't have the depth of talent (either population or cash or tradition) of either the US or Britain. If Ian Millar and Eric LaMaze were still competing, the loss of points here probably wouldn't be so critical.

Comment

Canada's Olympic jumping team has also suffered a big hit with Ian Millar's retirement and Eric LaMaze's health problems. Over the past couple decades Canada's jumping team regularly got Olympic medals , but now it's an open question who if anybody can step up and fill their places. Canada doesn't have the depth of talent (either population or cash or tradition) of either the US or Britain. If Ian Millar and Eric LaMaze were still competing, the loss of points here probably wouldn't be so critical.
                          Didn’t Lamaze just show at Toronto last week? Won the leading rider award, I think? And isn’t he talking about aiming for the Olympics?

Yes, he has health problems, and Canada will need to replace him eventually, along with every other rider who retires. But this post reminds me of the Monty Python line.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post

Didn’t Lamaze just show at Toronto last week? Won the leading rider award, I think? And isn’t he talking about aiming for the Olympics?

Yes, he has health problems, and Canada will need to replace him eventually, along with every other rider who retires. But this post reminds me of the Monty Python line.
                            I haven't been following LaMaze closely. That is fantastic if he has recovered enough to be back in the bigtime. It sounded less hopeful when it was announced so this is wonderful news.

Comment

Eric Lamaze did just show at the Royal last week and even won a class! It was great to see him again as he hasnt competed there for many years....He was always in Europe showing when the Royal was on.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post
                                It's a shame there is such a long gap between taking the test and getting the results. It seems pretty crucial that she find some witnesses who can support her story that she consumed coca tea--her dining companions, or maybe the restaurant can dig up the receipt...

Her explanation seems plausible to me, but I could imagine the authorities won't accept it without supporting evidence.
                                Would it even matter if there were witnesses to her drinking coca tea? I was under the impression a positive test means elimination. I have never even heard of coca tea until this thread and would never have made the connection to cocaine.

Comment

I was genuinely interested in how often false positives on a drug test occur, and coca tea came up in every article. Very interesting!

"Drinking coca tea could lead to a false-positive result for cocaine. The tea is popular in South America and is made from the leaves of the coca plant, the same source from which cocaine is derived. In a 2006 study, five people drank coca tea before undergoing a drug test. All of the participants tested positive for cocaine metabolites 2 hours after consuming the tea, and three participants still tested positive for cocaine after 36 hours. The researchers concluded that "healthcare professionals should consider a history of coca tea ingestion when interpreting urine toxicology results."

https://www.livescience.com/56921-we...for-drugs.html

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post

Would it even matter if there were witnesses to her drinking coca tea? I was under the impression a positive test means elimination. I have never even heard of coca tea until this thread and would never have made the connection to cocaine.
                                    I dunno. I would think warning athletes about cultural oddities like this ought to be the job of the coaches and team advisors. It's the Pan Am games. Athletes from up and down the Americas are descending on the place and need clean drug tests. You'd think that reading the basic Lonely Planet guidebook for highlighted warnings and then telling all the athletes would be job number one for the coaches.

I mean all sorts of people traveling through including airlines staff must need to be aware of this or risk losing their jobs. If you haven't been in the area you might not know it's a thing but I would think it's going to be a pretty prominent warning for tourists if indeed coca tea is that available.

If the story is true then that's a big fail for the coaches and whole Canadian team of athletes. And it sounds like there wasn't otherwise a huge number of positive drug tests from naieve North American athletes?

Comment

Regardless of the reason for the positive test, I'm so disappointed for Canada and I wish it hadn't happened.
                                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I dunno. I would think warning athletes about cultural oddities like this ought to be the job of the coaches and team advisors. It's the Pan Am games. Athletes from up and down the Americas are descending on the place and need clean drug tests. You'd think that reading the basic Lonely Planet guidebook for highlighted warnings and then telling all the athletes would be job number one for the coaches.

I mean all sorts of people traveling through including airlines staff must need to be aware of this or risk losing their jobs. If you haven't been in the area you might not know it's a thing but I would think it's going to be a pretty prominent warning for tourists if indeed coca tea is that available.

If the story is true then that's a big fail for the coaches and whole Canadian team of athletes. And it sounds like there wasn't otherwise a huge number of positive drug tests from naieve North American athletes?
                                        I agree with everything you say, I think it is the athlete's responsibility and that of their team coach to know this stuff in advance of the competition. Horsegirl's Mom seems to think having a witness to the athlete drinking coca tea would be sufficient to get her ban overturned and I was asking if that would even matter. I don't think so, she should have known or her coaches should have known, that drinking that tea could lead to testing positive for cocaine. It is probably an easy mistake for most of us to make, but not too many potential Olympic contenders are posting on COTH, they should know better.

Comment

Working...
                                        X