Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0213
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

PPE frustration!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPE frustration!

Presently horse shopping with a pretty healthy budget but everything is coming up with OCD and chips in PPE's!

What are you ok with?

Typically I am getting 2/3 vets saying no, and 1/3 saying it's fine. Frustrating, especially on things that I really like!

I am looking for a hunter, preferably baby green ready for pre green.

And a jumpers, either a really easy young ones with 1.15 experience at minimum, and/or something with 1.25/1.30 under 12 years old.

What would you allow for these types of horses PPE wise as resales, leases?

Even though I am not entirely looking for a resale, it's always great to have that option! What about leases? If you are paying to lease something.. what would you be ok with?

I have been in your shoes. Rely on YOUR vet's opinion. Had one vet who did a ppe tell me the OCD was non surgical, but then my vet said as soon as he landed in the US he would need surgery. Go with your vet, as that is the one who will be dealing with the horse long term.

I do buy young horses as prospects so I am okay with small things, like a small spur, or small arthritic changes. I don't do OCDs in young horses, floating chips, or changes that could significantly impact their career length. I am very critical on a young horse as you do not have a show record or know what their tolerance is yet.

As a trainer I am more okay with horses that are older, sound, and have a long USEF record doing their job that I am buying them for and having issues. As long as there is proof that they can do their job it is more worth the risk.

Keep looking, you will eventually find one, although it does suck to spend $$ on vettings that don't work. I typically go X-ray by X-ray, and let the vet doing the ppe ahead of time know that, so we stop if anything significant shows up and have my vet review it, that way we all save money. Have had instances where we didn't get past one X-ray.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by iJump View Post
      Presently horse shopping with a pretty healthy budget but everything is coming up with OCD and chips in PPE's!

What are you ok with?

Typically I am getting 2/3 vets saying no, and 1/3 saying it's fine. Frustrating, especially on things that I really like!

I am looking for a hunter, preferably baby green ready for pre green.

And a jumpers, either a really easy young ones with 1.15 experience at minimum, and/or something with 1.25/1.30 under 12 years old.

What would you allow for these types of horses PPE wise as resales, leases?

Even though I am not entirely looking for a resale, it's always great to have that option! What about leases? If you are paying to lease something.. what would you be ok with?
      I agree with OutsidersOpinion choose a vet who you respect, preferably someone that specializes in lameness and H/J and follow his advice. Tell the vet what the intended use is for the horse. Will you keep or resell? Many vets will tolerate some issues if you intend to keep the horse, but will be harsher if you intend to resell the horse. Make sure your vet is aware of the job the horse is currently performing.

In many instances, your vet may not be performing the actual PPE, so it is always helpful if you are able to share some video of all three gaits with your vet as well as conformation shots.

The suggestion about asking the vet that is attending the PPE to halt the PPE if they find an irregularity in the radiographs is a good one. Once the PPE is halted, the clinical findings and the radiographs that were taken are sent to your vet and he/she will evaluate. If your vet is unconcerned by the irregularity, a second appointment will be needed to take the rest of the radiographs. You'll be charged for a second farm call and possibly a second imaging setup fee, but in the long run, this approach is gentler to your PPE budget.

If you and/or the vet are on the fence over a questionable radiograph, you can consider using the imperfect PPE as leverage to negotiate a lease with the lease fee applied toward purchase price. If the seller agrees to a lease, make sure the lease allows you to return the horse to the seller and receive a pro rata refund if the chip/OCD (or whatever is at issue) causes the horse to become unsound and unable to perform his job during the lease period. As for lease prices, a year lease is generally 1/3 the price of the horse. A shorter lease will typically be more expensive on a pro rata basis.

Vets will be more forgiving of irregular radiographs if the horse is doing its job, and staying sound. A lease can be a good way for the buyer to feel comfortable that the irregular radiograph won't hinder a horse's ability to perform.

You might be surprised how many horses that are performing and winning have less than pristine radiographs.

Best of luck!

Comment

It really is all about what issues you can tolerate, and what you cannot live with. You also need a vet you can trust to be upfront with you.

I purchased a pregreen horse (that many people on here have probably heard of) for way less that what he was worth. He'd been passed over several times partially because he had a chip in his hock. But I knew he'd done 20 horses shows the last year in the 3'3" and hadn't had any issues with it. My vet also x-rayed and told me he didn't think it would cause an issue and if it ever did that the chip was operable. So I bought him, had a ton of success with him and then turned around an sold him a couple years later for a nice profit.

The horse in Germany I vetted that had rotation in the pedal bone at only 4 years old? Hard Pass.

Comment

• Original Poster

I never thought about stopping rads at any irregular images.

I typically do the PPE with the flexions, if negative on all flexions I'll do rads of front feet, all fetlocks, hocks and just started doing stifles.

If they test positive on a flexion I will do images of that joint first.

But, the horses not flexing positive are coming up with things in rads.

With chips.. what locations are more of a concern for you?

Comment

I also typically have the vet on the phone with me after the first round of a pre-purchase, vital signs and flexions.

Frequently with a horse who is doing its job well, and is over 10 years old, we choose to do fewer x-rays unless something over “2” on a flexion pops up. Then we Investigate.

I ask the vet to hold the PPE and call me if there is something outside the normal range on an x-ray.
            If We really like the horse, we may proceed with the rest of the x-rays unless the thing found is really horrible. If it’s a deal-breaker, we walk.
            if it’s something of concern, but the flexion is good, and the horse is working at the level we plan on achieving, we continue with the series (IF there aren’t lots more films to do)...Then we send that funky film off to a radiologist.
            If it is something that is of concern, but not really horrifying, we will continue with the rest of the x-rays because Frequently they having a second vet call is going to rack up the bill if more than three or four more shots.

Years ago, purchased a four-year-old Mare who had a small chip outside of the joint in her rt front fetlock. My vet, a grand prix Rider, told me if I liked her, buy her, because it was an easy surgery if it ever becomes an issue. This horse was made of iron, was conditioned on rock logging roads, and never developed so much as a wind puff anywhere, and the chip itself sat there is the same exact place for her PPE when I sold her. Since she had been sound for ten years, there was no way I would modify the price due to the chip.

personally, I would be more concerned about chips in the Stifles. Somewhat less about chips in the hock, depending on location and size, and also somewhat less about chips in the fetlock depending on location and size.

Looking forward to resale is is a serious element of concern.

One of my worst horse shopping experiences involved trying out a lovely, well bred Dutch gelding, for my ammy owner client.
            Priced under market value by very wealthy Owner because she said she was more concerned about the home than price. She remarked offhandedly that they had had OCD surgery done on one hock, prophylactically, to remove a small chip before it became an issue.

After wrangling for days with her to get that records released to my vet,during which we were pressured to buy him because she said she was sending him to a dealer in Wa State “that week”, I ultimately said I would drive to her vet’s office to collect them myself. Miraculously, they were instantly transferred to my vet.

Turns out that the Horse had a two year history of injections and stall rest, with a “3” irregularity in its gait evaluations.

AND....had OCD surgery on both STIFLES in Holland, prior to import.

The only way that was discovered was after the seller’s vet shaved the area to prep for the current surgery, which was performed. It was all in his surgical notes.
            So we were lied to about which joint… And stifles are a MUCH bigger deal than Hock OCD, were told ONE hock had been done, and furthermore there had been two surgeries on a supposedly sound horse. Needless to say we passed.

This seller was also a grand prix rider, a breeder, a multi-millionaire and winery owner.
            And a POS.
            The horse appeared on the dealer’s website the next month. I do not assume that the dealer knew anything about the history of the horse. I assume that the seller omitted this information, so the dealer would not have the opportunity to misrepresent him intentionally .

Comment

There are no guarantees, of anything, when you are buying a horse, no matter how much you are paying for the horse. Different vets will find different things on the same horse, and have differing opinions on how important these findings that they think they have found may be, and those things may or may not effect the use of the horse in the future. When you truly accept these things, you will find it far easier to buy horses, and will probably pay less for them LOL.

Sorry. I don't vet horses for prepurchase any more. I did for a while, a number of decades ago. But have learned to accept these things, risks. Works for me. If you can not make up your own mind about a horse, and the risks involved with purchasing it, then you must take the advice of a licensed veterinarian that you trust and respect. Good luck.
              www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

Keep looking, you will eventually find one, although it does suck to spend $$ on vettings that don't work. I typically go X-ray by X-ray, and let the vet doing the ppe ahead of time know that, so we stop if anything significant shows up and have my vet review it, that way we all save money. Have had instances where we didn't get past one X-ray.

Best of luck![/QUOTE]

It does suck, but not as much as finding out later, during a buyers PPE that the horse has some issue that you didn't know about, and it kills the sale. Rather waste $1-3k on a bad PPE, than 10's of thousands on a horse that will never pass

Comment

My friend and I traveled to Germany together with our trainer to import jumpers. She was needing a confidence builder and chose a super reliable gelding. In the PPE, the horse had a bone chip in his hock, which ended with his price being extremely reduced. The horse I fell in with was a hot young mare with wins into M**. She had perfectly clean x-rays (crazy clean, as my vet said). After one very successful show season, my friend decided to remove the bone chip for no reason other than longevity. Despite learning when they went into surgery that this horse had a hock surgery done before, much to the surprise of the previous and current owners, he came out of it sound and moved his rider into 1.30m that summer. My mare, on the other hand, came up lame and we ended up needing to have her MRI-ed... turns out, she has extensive osteoarthritis that wouldn’t show up on x-rays and is slowly returning to soundness after nine months off.

If you have stayed with me thus far, the moral of the story for me is that horse buying is inherently dangerous, minor bone chips are not necessarily a means to dismiss a prospect, and clean x-rays don’t mean smooth sailing. Of course, listen to your vet, I just wanted to share this experience, take from it what you may.

Comment

I agree with much of what has been said already. The relationship and trust in a good vet is imperative. Vetting many horses is extremely commonplace unless you are willing to take the gamble and live with any findings. Unfortunately most of the horses that are priced attractively for resale do have some type of issue(s). Best of luck!
                    Westbrook Farm
                    Facebook

Comment

Well, like everyone else has said......it depends.

But ultimately I listen to MY vet, no matter how much doom and gloom (or rainbow and sunshine) the other vet/vets is/are projecting (if there's another vet involved).

But on the whole, I'm usually pretty ok with chips and "things" in a PPE on a sound horse....for my own personal horses. When I'm buying youngsters for resale, however, I do have a much higher bar for what I consider acceptable. Fortunately, my vet and agents in Germany understands that and tell me "yes" or "no" very affirmatively on each horse! But with an older horse with mileage and time in the ring, the soundness is ultimately what I care the most about.

I have a 9yo mare now who was passed over as a 2yo by another buyer for having small "hooks" in her hocks. My vet said, "no problem, even if they grow they're on the lateral side of the hock and won't cause problems." Sure enough, the mare is 9yo and has won everything through the 1.40m and hasn't taken a funny step yet. Could cause pause when I sell her, but sound mare with 6 years showing heavily makes it an easy decision from my seller perspective.

As far as sale versus lease goes, there's no issue that I would consider "an issue" for a lease horse. Someone leasing isn't taking a risk....they'll be handing the horse back to you either way. So if the horse is sound and performing, a PPE finding wouldn't change anything (or shouldn't change anything anyway....guess there's no predicting crazy sometimes). Typically in a lease, the PPE is to set a baseline that can be looked at if something happens and/or when the horse is handed back.

Comment

I would be much more likely to be accepting of small issues during a PPE if the horse is sound and has been doing their job consistently. Not so much on a younger horse, or unproven horse. However, you can find something wrong on just about any horse you ever vet, so its all about trusting your PPE vet, understanding what acceptable risks are for you, and what are hard passes, which is very personal and dependent on you, your expectations of the horse in it's job, whether you be possibly reselling down the line, etc. Good luck OP I know it can be frustrating!

Comment

It the horse is sound, flexes clean, and has been doing the job you expect him to do in a similarly intense show/training situation for 2 years, I'll accept quite a bit of x-ray weirdness. This is even more true when the owner has an old x-ray to prove the issue is stable/unchanged over a period of time.

In a relatively green horse in its first year of work, or in the process of moving up the levels, I'm super picky.

Comment

While the x rays can give you some insight the way the horse moves can really paint the picture.

How are the gaits? Does the horse move fluidly with the entire body? Any one limb or hip stand out? How does the horse react when you touch it in the back, neck etc?

A PPE is only part of the horse shopping process. A gut feeling and a good look at the horse can tell you a lot.
                            Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Is it not standard to do some sort of PPE when paying for a lease?

I always have, but perhaps because there is always the 'no refund' in the leases I have signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlomine View Post
                                Years ago, purchased a four-year-old Mare who had a small chip outside of the joint in her rt front fetlock. My vet, a grand prix Rider, told me if I liked her, buy her, because it was an easy surgery if it ever becomes an issue. This horse was made of iron, was conditioned on rock logging roads, and never developed so much as a wind puff anywhere, and the chip itself sat there is the same exact place for her PPE when I sold her. Since she had been sound for ten years, there was no way I would modify the price due to the chip.

personally, I would be more concerned about chips in the Stifles. Somewhat less about chips in the hock, depending on location and size, and also somewhat less about chips in the fetlock depending on location and size.
                                Generally speaking, I agree. Of course it depends on the horse in front of you and intended use and workload. I would not automatically pass on a young unproven horse if they had a small fetlock chip outside the joint, but definitely would get my vet’s opinion. Of course any findings could mean an adjustment of the horses value, depending on circumstances.

OCDs are rampant in WBs so it’s not surprising you are running into this. I just wish sellers would get baseline rads done and roll it into the sale price so buyers can have a reasonable starting place to pass or investigate further. Really sucks to spend all that money on rads only to end up walking away. It really adds up.

The advice of stopping the PPE as soon as anything comes up is good. Doesn’t always help when it comes up on the second last view though, I know how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X