Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Lessons at 2 different barns—advice on choosing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons at 2 different barns—advice on choosing?

Hi all. I’ve been taking lessons at 2 different barns for several months (after relocating out of state) and am noticing more differences between them. I’m currently jumping small cavaletti/poles and my goal is to eventually get to the bigger jumps.

Barn A usually has me ride an older, small, rather lazy, and absolutely sweetheart of a horse who I adore. Horse is very beginner friendly, though I am definitely not a beginner. A good chunk of my lesson time is getting the horse more forward. The instructor was very conservative with setting up poles for me at first even though I’m quite comfortable with smaller jumps. I didn’t exactly mind this but after a while I kind of felt like I wasn’t learning as much as I should. I chalked it up to a slower approach in how they train at the time. I do love how they encourage taking care of/spending time with the horse. More of a family friendly atmosphere.

Barn B has me riding a younger, very strong/sensitive, and competitive horse with a lot of show experience. He’s amazing—fantastic with subtle cues and I’ve learned things that are beyond just getting the horse to “go” such as getting the horse on the bit and more overall jumping. Instructor here had me doing small jumps right away after evaluating me. Less “horsemanship” at this barn, slightly snobby atmosphere. Time in the saddle is shorter than Barn A.

I guess I’m getting confused at the discrepancy of the lessons—Barn A has me training at a lower level than Barn B. Do any COTH folks have advice as to which sounds like a better program? Is it better to choose one program? Most people I know do not go to 2 barns.

Is a slower, more conservative approach on lazier horses better for jumping training in the long run, or am I better off riding more eager horses that help me learn slightly quicker? I’d like to lease soon and know I have to eventually choose one place.

Thanks for any input!

I think this is a super personal question that only you can answer. Assuming both situations are safe, I would pick the one you have more fun at. If it were me, based on your description I would pick the second option, but I enjoy a more challenging ride and would get bored at what you describe with Barn A.

Comment

I'll take a crack at this one. First, please accept this grain of salt that I offer up.

For me, I would always look beyond just the lesson at the overall quality of horsemanship of the program. It sounds like Barn A has that piece more from what you've described,. I would guess that your pole work and jump height is probably more reflective of them taking care of the older lesson horse than it does their thoughts on your abilities.

I think I would need to see the lessons before making a complete judgement call, but the atmosphere of Barn A also seems to be better. Plus, more saddle time means more experience.

Some of my questions are:

1) You say you're "definitely not a beginner." But you're also saying that your goal is to get to the "bigger" jumps. Can you give some more insight into what that means for you and how long you've been riding? I would say that how high you jump doesn't really have a correlation on how good of a rider you are, and sometimes more to do with the ability of the horse underneath you. Yes, jumping higher certainly is a skillset all on its own, but it's definitely not the litmus test for horsemanship.

2) You say that most of your lesson at Barn A is about getting the horse to go forward. I would argue that this is probably one of the cornerstones of riding education (getting the horse in front of your leg and carrying you), so learning how to do this on a lazier horse is probably teaching you more than a horse who has a natural motor.

3) Have you spoken with Barn A about your situation? Maybe there is another horse they can pair you with on a more regular basis, but probably not if you don't share your concerns with them. They might also tell you why they're putting you on Lazy Dobbin over a hotter horse - they might have a really good reason that you're just not privy to.

My gut says Barn A. But that's just based on what you've provided.

Comment

I say Barn B since (a) it is highly likely that you are not training for the Olympics but want to ride at a level that provides some fun and challenge to the ride and (b) you can probably add the horsemanship element to what you are doing, there. Can you politely insist on grooming, tacking, bathing and then grazing the horse yourself? Bring some homemade cookies or cupcakes to be shared and maybe the perceived snobbery will warm up too. Get what you need out of the ride and make what you want out of the barn.

Comment

Whilst I agree overall with "A"HunterGal, I would add one more thing to your decision process: which barn is more likely to be able to help you find a suitable lease horse when you are ready?

It also depends on your priorities: is the social aspect important to you?

I think you will learn on both types of horses: you are just learning different skills. Ideally you would be able to ride a variety of horses.
          Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jeepgirl311 View Post
            I think this is a super personal question that only you can answer. Assuming both situations are safe, I would pick the one you have more fun at. If it were me, based on your description I would pick the second option, but I enjoy a more challenging ride and would get bored at what you describe with Barn A.
            Thank you, Jeepgirl311. Both situations are definitely safe, thankfully. A few lessons at Barn A have been borderline boring, which ends up a little frustrating since I'm only able to ride 2x a week. I did tell the instructor I'd like to do more jumps after a lull of a few weeks, and she did oblige...I just wonder why it took me to vocalize it. Barn B has me riding at a slightly more advanced level which I do appreciate as well; I enjoy being pushed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by "A"HunterGal View Post
              I'll take a crack at this one. First, please accept this grain of salt that I offer up.

For me, I would always look beyond just the lesson at the overall quality of horsemanship of the program. It sounds like Barn A has that piece more from what you've described,. I would guess that your pole work and jump height is probably more reflective of them taking care of the older lesson horse than it does their thoughts on your abilities.

I think I would need to see the lessons before making a complete judgement call, but the atmosphere of Barn A also seems to be better. Plus, more saddle time means more experience.

Some of my questions are:

1) You say you're "definitely not a beginner." But you're also saying that your goal is to get to the "bigger" jumps. Can you give some more insight into what that means for you and how long you've been riding? I would say that how high you jump doesn't really have a correlation on how good of a rider you are, and sometimes more to do with the ability of the horse underneath you. Yes, jumping higher certainly is a skillset all on its own, but it's definitely not the litmus test for horsemanship.

2) You say that most of your lesson at Barn A is about getting the horse to go forward. I would argue that this is probably one of the cornerstones of riding education (getting the horse in front of your leg and carrying you), so learning how to do this on a lazier horse is probably teaching you more than a horse who has a natural motor.

3) Have you spoken with Barn A about your situation? Maybe there is another horse they can pair you with on a more regular basis, but probably not if you don't share your concerns with them. They might also tell you why they're putting you on Lazy Dobbin over a hotter horse - they might have a really good reason that you're just not privy to.

My gut says Barn A. But that's just based on what you've provided.
              Thank you, "A"Huntergal.

1)I've been riding on and off my whole life (in my late 30s now). Took some time off, had kids, ride 2x a week for the past year or two. I'm very comfortable cantering, small jumps, handling horses, lunging, and overall care, but I'm not at the level where I can ride a horse and pinpoint if one of their hind legs are "stiff" or something like that. I've done a couple of small shows but am more interested in riding as a personal experience rather than getting into competition.

2) Absolutely agree on how getting a horse forward is an integral part of riding. I've learned a lot getting my dear lazy pal going--this aspect is what made me think hey, Barn A is just being super thorough with me and making sure I have zero holes in my training, and they know I'm interested in jumping, so in the long run it might be better this way. But then when I go to Barn B and ride their fancy, sensitive Warmblood who's ready to go right away, it's very exhilarating. But I do wonder if I'll end up with holes in my training due to the vast difference in the horses.

3) There was a lull for a few weeks at Barn A where we only did flatwork, not sure why. When I asked if we could go back to jumps, she was all for it. So I wasn't sure what happened there. I have ridden a couple of other horses there, just not as much. They are very into students spending time with the horses so perhaps there's more to this that I could find out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 222orchids View Post
                I say Barn B since (a) it is highly likely that you are not training for the Olympics but want to ride at a level that provides some fun and challenge to the ride and (b) you can probably add the horsemanship element to what you are doing, there. Can you politely insist on grooming, tacking, bathing and then grazing the horse yourself? Bring some homemade cookies or cupcakes to be shared and maybe the perceived snobbery will warm up too. Get what you need out of the ride and make what you want out of the barn.
                Thank you, 222orchids.
                You're right, I'm definitely not training for the Olympics, ha! At Barn B I've seen only one or two kids partake in taking care of the horses, but there's certainly no reason why I couldn't inquire about it. And getting what I need out of the ride/what I want out of the barn is a useful way to look at it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                  Whilst I agree overall with "A"HunterGal, I would add one more thing to your decision process: which barn is more likely to be able to help you find a suitable lease horse when you are ready?

It also depends on your priorities: is the social aspect important to you?

I think you will learn on both types of horses: you are just learning different skills. Ideally you would be able to ride a variety of horses.
                  Thank you, CHT.
                  Both barns lease their lesson horses as well as find others for their clients.
                  The social aspect of the barns was important at first, but it's less of a priority now. There are more people at Barn A, they're friendlier, and you get a lot of private time with your horse before and after lessons there as well. It's a nice mix. Barn B is smaller and I rarely see other students, perhaps due to the time of day I go. The few people I've run into there are a bit standoffish and a simple "hello" is rare, which is odd. I ignore that because I enjoy the actual lessons, but it's not the greatest atmosphere people-wise

Very true I'm learning different skills between these two places. Maybe the variety (and even discrepancies) are a good thing in the long run.

Comment

Trainers don’t have psychic abilities and if you have only been riding with one a few months, how the heck do you expect them to know what you want? Remember they teach many people with different goals, expectations and comfort levels. Have you sat down one on one and discussed what you want with barn A trainer? Keep in mind most barns no longer carry pay by the ride school horses and very few have anything for 2’6” and over...unless you lease it.

Off hand, barn B lost me at “ not as much horsemanship and slightly snobby atmosphere”.

Are you going to be buying or leasing a horse in the next 6 months? Be realistic here. If not, that barn B horse they are letting you use might evaporate. Sometimes when you get a nicer ride as a twice a week lesson only rider, it’s because they are going to pitch it to you after you get attached. Effective sales/ lease technique.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I see no reason why you can't continue to have lessons at both places until you lease a horse. Then you have more horses to choose from to lease.
                      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

I've seen both types of barns, and from what you describe, the first barn instructor doesn't sound like she has a structured plan to improve your riding--sometimes, at barns with less available help, owners and teachers are very preoccupied with management, so she might not even have remembered you requested a jumping lesson until you told her. If the all-flat lesson was due to something she was working on with your riding, the horse's soundness, or the fact that the horse had been jumping a great deal in other lessons, she should have told you. If you do stay at that barn, you might need to be a bit more proactive every lesson about explaining what you want to learn. Not a deal-breaker, though, unless she continually ignores your requests. It also might be a good idea to ask to ride another horse there, before making a final judgement.

If you're looking to lease a horse, though, one big concern about the second barn would be cost. Most mid-tier show barns (I'm assuming this isn't a super-fancy barn, but a barn that goes to local rated shows, or maybe a couple of "away" shows a year) don't make money off of lessons. The goal is to get someone capable enough to at least half-lease a horse and go to a show or two a month at minimum. That's how such barns make their money. And this isn't a criticism, btw, because it's hard as hell to stay afloat in the horse business. But if that's the expectation, you should be aware of how much things will cost at the barn in the long run. Some barns might still let you take a once-weekly lesson on a school horse if you can't afford showing and leasing, but if that's the case, you do have to be aware that you won't be a priority client in the same way someone who is fully part of the program. If you're at a barn where people show frequently at a certain level and you don't, it can also limit your social circle. Even if people aren't snobby, it's harder to make friends if you're around less.

I'm not quite clear what you mean in terms of horsemanship, though, for a once-a-week rider, it's really difficult to get a full sense of what the horsemanship culture of a barn is, unless they're so desperate for help they're asking anyone to lend a hand who even takes a few lessons (which would not be a good sign). There are some barns where barn staff takes care of all of the chores, including tacking up, but at even at the lower-level show barns I rode at, for people with genuine skills, there were opportunities to ride greener horses and lend a hand at the barn and shows.
                        Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

another question for you to ponder: are your lessons at both place just “get on and ride” or does either include instruction on fundamentals and why? For example, I myself (considered advanced by my barns standards) May have a lesson solely focused on lateral movements, working on shoulders/haunches in, turn on the haunches, etc and using that on course. We only do poles that day because we try our skills that should be able to help us school the horse or correct something when jumping our height (2’6-3’-3’6). I do not judge the height of jumps in a lesson as a gauge of skill and challenge.

this is part of horsemanship and being the best rider you can be - understanding the mechanics of the animal, aids, and subtle skills. Does either barn give you the “why and how,” and do you think you can learn how to do these things? Again, just “jumping higher” isn’t necessarily the measure of if the program is teaching you the skills to be a more skilled rider.

Comment

IDK if this has been mentioned, but could it be possible that you are able to ride the more advanced horse at Barn B because of the solid foundation you are getting at Barn A?

Comment

Is there a possibility of higher jumps, and more in depth education at Barn A in the future?

I ask this because I know too many barns where whether they are ready or not have riders jumping courses, that the horses jump for them. The riders themselves are loose in the tack, and only look good because they need not really ride.
                              Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Tbh for me first few lessons with new people who have been riding their whole life are a lot more stressful than teaching people with zero experience. Lots of people come and say that they have ridden their whole life and are really not very good. Some are good but a little out of shape and just need a few rides to get back into it. It’s hard sometimes to distinguish those people right away because some might have great eq but the second anything goes wrong might get scared and not be able to handle it, some people are very sloppy but have a ton of fun with the horses that are a little faster and more challenging and you have to get to know people better to really be certain. But either way, they will be safer on a slow horse and really if you’ve been riding for a long time I think you should be able to get just about any school horse in front of your leg even if you’re out of shape. I’m fortunate enough to have a few safe guys that are not a ton of leg, forward but slow and have a substantial jump in them but they are hard to come by and they are everyone’s favorite horse so if I already used one of them that day you’re gonna ride a harder horse and do less in your lesson. My general rule though is that if you want to jump 2’6” or higher consistently you need to lease or buy your own horse because the lesson horses work hard and even though they can jump higher than that I’m not going to make them work that hard, especially for someone I don’t know very well. They have to jump a lot so I keep the jumps small. But if they are leased I’ll be a little more liberal with the jump height since I know they’ll be jumping like 2x a week and flatting the rest of the week.

anyway I hope my perspective offered a little insight into what trainer from barn A may be thinking. Sounds like barn b might have access to higher quality horses and can afford to use their horses a little more liberally.

Comment

I think you need to discuss this with both instructors. Tell them each that you are thinking of leasing to get more saddle time, or whatever your goals are. Ask them if they can help you with that. Ask them to introduce you to others that they have helped (assuming they are still at the same barn). Ask some serious lease questions with the assumption you could lease a lesson horse (you would need to state this up-front)....
                                  1. How much is a lease (full/partial)?
                                  2. What's covered in the lease fee/what do you have to pay for on top of that (vet, board, shoes, etc),
                                  3, How many times you get to ride if a partial lease, are they still going to use the horse in lessons (especially if a partial lease, will they use the horse on the days when you come),
                                  4. Which horses are available for full or partial lease. Do you like those horses?
                                  5. What if the horse becomes unsound for some reason? This is part of horse ownership, and if you owned, you'd be responsible for everything. BUT if you're leasing, especially partial, and the horse is unsound as the result of something done with some other rider, who's paying?
                                  6. Are there times when you cannot ride the horse and are those acceptable to you (e.g. some barns are closed on Sunday)

As others have mentioned, there is no cut-and-dried universal answer to your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Farosh View Post
                                    Tbh for me first few lessons with new people who have been riding their whole life are a lot more stressful than teaching people with zero experience. Lots of people come and say that they have ridden their whole life and are really not very good. Some are good but a little out of shape and just need a few rides to get back into it. It’s hard sometimes to distinguish those people right away because some might have great eq but the second anything goes wrong might get scared and not be able to handle it, some people are very sloppy but have a ton of fun with the horses that are a little faster and more challenging and you have to get to know people better to really be certain. But either way, they will be safer on a slow horse and really if you’ve been riding for a long time I think you should be able to get just about any school horse in front of your leg even if you’re out of shape. I’m fortunate enough to have a few safe guys that are not a ton of leg, forward but slow and have a substantial jump in them but they are hard to come by and they are everyone’s favorite horse so if I already used one of them that day you’re gonna ride a harder horse and do less in your lesson. My general rule though is that if you want to jump 2’6” or higher consistently you need to lease or buy your own horse because the lesson horses work hard and even though they can jump higher than that I’m not going to make them work that hard, especially for someone I don’t know very well. They have to jump a lot so I keep the jumps small. But if they are leased I’ll be a little more liberal with the jump height since I know they’ll be jumping like 2x a week and flatting the rest of the week.

anyway I hope my perspective offered a little insight into what trainer from barn A may be thinking. Sounds like barn b might have access to higher quality horses and can afford to use their horses a little more liberally.
                                    Farosh makes a lot of good points!

Comment

From a horsemanship standpoint (and overall), sounds like you could make barn B work. It’s worth asking if you can tack the horse up yourself- most likely they’ll say yes. And don’t worry about what the other people think. I, for one, actually thinks it’s cool and fun to take care of my own horse. So just do your own thing!

Id prefer the barn that pushes me to be better. Riding a younger horse would certainly be more appealing to me. Especially one that is well trained, so that if I am asking for something incorrectly, the horse will “tell” on me.

Good luck!

Comment

Man, this is a tough one! Do you have video from lessons at both places? It'd be fascinating to see the differences.

Barn A may be picker on your real skills and more in tune to the flatwork piece of things. Or it may be protecting it's older and less fancy school horse. Or it may be super conservative. Or it may be less experienced or less organized/specific.

Barn B could be seeing your real skill level. Or they may be glossing over your gaps, putting you on a nicer horse and hoping that you will end up buying a horse with them (something that will likely need training) and showing with them. As a show-oriented barn, they could be less concerned with the basics and more used to pushing people forward (while having the staff and the program to manage & prepare the horses to allow that). They also may not have true school horses and something fancier/more advanced is all they have available to you.

Without seeing video, I find it hard to really give an opinion of which barn is accurately addressing your skill level (or perhaps neither of them are!).

If you don't have video or aren't comfortable sharing it, I would have a conversation with each barn. Ask barn A why the lessons have felt more basic than other experiences ("I'm just curious and trying to learn, but I was wondering if there's a specific reason that our lessons are more flatwork and small jump focused? They feel like a step back compared to other experiences I've had, but I'm wondering if you had a specific reason for that?")

...and ask barn B if they can emphasize the horsemanship and also be aware of your goals ("I'm loving our lessons and feel like I'm being appropriately pushed in my riding, but flatwork and horsemanship is important to me as well. Could we incorporate more flatwork? And would it be okay if I helped the grooms get ready for my lessons and cool out/untack as well? I'd like to be a well-rounded rider. I also just want to let you know that I don't plan on showing much - I just want to be the best rider and horsewoman I can be. Are you okay with those goals?").

Those 2 conversations should give you some really helpful feedback.

FWIW I hated it when clients just asked if they could jump higher, because usually if I wasn't having them do so it was for a specific reason. Asking why we weren't doing something in an attempt to learn goes over way better than just asking to jump bigger - or at least it will tell you their reasoning! If the reason is that Dobbin can't do more and he's your only lesson horse option, that will really help you in your decision! But so many clients aren't willing to take the time to learn and commit to the basics these days. And that may be why Barn B is just pushing you on - they're probably used to an impatient, higher end clientele that wants to do the fun stuff regardless of if they're ready for it.
                                        Jennifer Baas
                                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Working...
                                        X