Sport Horse Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

THC_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Looking for some college horse advice!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some college horse advice!

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a bit of advice... I am a junior in high school so have started looking into colleges. I have ridden horses since I was young, always English, but got into hunt seat in early middle school. I have never owned my own horse, I have always been told it is too expensive. (I used to be quite upset by this when I was younger, but I understand now how much my parents sacrificed in time and money to get me where I am in my riding career, even without a horse of my own). Because of this, I haven’t really shown other than IEA shows. For those who aren’t familiar- you go to the show, each stable brings a few horses, you draw a horse at random, then show over fences and on the flat.

I have taken a break from riding when my trainer moved further away about a year ago, as I also show cattle for FFA, train service dogs as a puppy raiser, and I am in the top 1% of my class in school. So it broke my heart, but I think it was for the best because of how busy I am. However, now that I can drive, I am hoping this summer and senior year (after everything has calmed down!) that I can start riding again. So I also started looking into college equestrian teams..

My heart has always been set on Texas A&M, as I plan on studying to become an equine vet. Looking at their equestrian team though, I was surprised at how competitive it seems... I saw somewhere that over 300 people apply for only fifty spots on the team, and only half of those seats are for English/hunter riders. The thing that scares me though, is that they ask for a resume of all horse show wins, titles, etc. I don’t have any of that, since I never showed on any major circuit, and am feeling very discouraged. Without that, would riding videos I send in with the rest of the application even get looked at?

I think I’m fairly good, but I’m definitely not the best rider out there, and now I feel like I’m not going to get a chance to ride and compete in college.

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone ridden/is riding for A&M? Is it truly as competitive as it sounds? Riding in college is something I always “planned” on, and now I feel like I have no chance of that. Any words of wisdom appreciated... sorry for the long post!

Thanks, Elise

Texas A&M’s equestrian team is Division 1. Without any kind of show record you will not even be considered for the team. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is the unfortunate truth. The team is extremely competitive, most, if not all spots are filled with recruits. There isn’t usually many walk on spots available. The majority of those recruited have had very successful careers in the equitation at the 3’6 level, probably went to all the national finals, many ribboned at finals as well.

It sounds like IHSA would be your niche. IHSA takes riders of all levels, from walk trot to Open. It is almost the exact same format as IEA. Unfortunately, by the looks of the IHSA website it does not appear that TAMU has an IHSA team. If riding on a team is super important to you, maybe look around at some other schools with IHSA teams. However, I’d be very cautious about choosing a school based on whether or not they have a riding team. You will likely be paying a lot of money to get a degree. I would chose a school based on academics, and if they did not have an IHSA team, look into barns in the area and just take weekly lessons.

Comment

Here is some interesting reading for you. https://collegiateequestrian.com/spo...466648463.aspx

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay. Sometimes the truth isn’t what we always want to hear, but it is good to hear regardless! The highest I have individually qualified is up through IEA zone finals (the step below nationals) so that definitely sounds past my showing level. Thank you for your input. Does anyone happen to know about the competitiveness of Cornell’s equestrian team? I do know their team is IHSA. Don’t worry, I don’t plan on choosing a school based on riding team! It’s more of a tiebreaker than a dealbreaker for me.

Comment

Just as an extra thought with schools...you dont get bonus points for going there when applying to vet school. A lot of admission committees want people from other schools for diversity. If you are truly interested in vet school, save your pennies and go to a state school where you'll either be getting good scholarships or will be less money. There is absolutely no way I would encourage you to go to Cornell unless you had deep pockets to pay or were getting a full scholarship. Vet school tuition is around 48,000 out of state (excluding living expenses). That's enough loan burden without adding undergrad debt.

IHSA is not worth choosing a school over. Go to a school because of the academics, IHSA comes second.
          !

Comment

As someone in college who is fortunate enough to have their own horse and do IHSA, I would ask yourself some questions about your goals and priorities

If you're prevet, how rigorous is your academics going to be? Do you have time to dedicate to riding and getting to/from the barn? What is the time commitment for the schools you are considering?

Are you going to bring your car to get to the barn (consider the cost of parking on campus, its not cheap)

How important is showing, and the height that you show? If you have limited show record you will probably only qualify for pre-novice or novice, which are flat only. My school does only a couple shows a semester, and not everyone gets to go to every show, so if you want to show more than that then it could be a problem.

Do you want to do equitation, or would you rather do a different discipline? Some schools have teams for eventing, or even polo

How far from campus is the barn? Are there lesson barns closer?

What is the cost of lessoning/showing with the team versus nearby lesson barns? At least at my school you do have to pay for training and show fees, although they are pretty reasonable. There is also team dues that are much more substantial, but it might be different at different schools.

Figure out what you want, and definitely reach out to the teams at any schools you are considering. Most have facebook pages or websites with emails you can contact. Also research and reach out to lesson barns in the area. If you go tour schools (which I absolutely would) see if you can take a lesson with either the coach or other trainers. Also IHSA is run on a yearly basis, so if you don't do it your first year it doesn't mean you can't ever do it. You have almost a year to make your list of schools, so don't stress and don't rush it.

Best of luck!

Comment

If you aren't on a school team, you can certainly find opportunities to take lessons and even do a half lease at area barns, if your school is not in the middle of a big city. But doing horses usually means having a car to get to the barn which is a whole other expense. Indeed if you are at a school that requires all first year students to live on campus, you may not even be allowed to have a car.

If money is at all tight, as it sounds, you want to graduate from your BA with as little debt as possible so you can afford vet school. You want to look at scholarships, at in state versus out of state tuition fees, and at cost of living. If money is tight you probably don't want to have a car. You also will want to consider part time jobs during term, maybe on campus, and summer jobs. If you can work in your field in some way, sciences or animal care, that will help your vet school application eventually too.

In other words, extensive horse time might not be the best use of your education dollars.

​​​​

Comment

I agree that IHSA is the way to go. I decided on a smaller school with a club team so that I would be 100% assured a spot on the team. I'm so glad I did. As a team, we never qualified for zones or nationals. We weren't all that good! But individual riders can still qualify for regionals, zones, and nationals. I personally went to the zone finals twice (where I proceeded to post on the wrong diagonal, but that's a different story).

In the IHSA, you get the same show experience whether you ride for Skidmore or Podunk U. It's very similar to IEA and it's tons of fun.

Bottom line: look for a school with a decent club team competing in IHSA. When you visit the school, go visit the barn and ask to ride in a lesson with the team. That will tell you if they have a decent facility, good trainer, and satisfactory horses.

Comment

Good thoughts, Gertie. Along with that look for a school with a strong scholastic program in the sciences.
                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Most of what I'd want to say would already be echoing what others have said. IHSA is super fun and many schools have teams. As mentioned before, even if your school's team isn't particularly competitive (mine wasn't the year that I did IHSA), you can still qualify for regionals, zones, and nationals as an individual.

Since you mentioned wanting to go to vet school, there's one aspect that I really want to emphasize: go to the least expensive undergrad that you can and get stellar grades while you're there (follow up: go to the least expensive accredited vet school that you get into). Not enough people focus on the long-term financial burdens that you take on between the cost of undergraduate education and vet school, and the consequences of having a huge amount of debt as a new veterinary graduate can be very limiting. I know you're quite a ways out from making the decision about applying to vet school, but it's good to think about those financial things now.
                    Last edited by supershorty628; Nov. 5, 2019, 03:21 PM.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                      Not enough people focus on the long-term financial burdens that you take on between the cost of undergraduate education and vet school, and the consequences of having a huge amount of debt as a new veterinary graduate can be very limiting.
                      I cannot emphasis what Supershorty said enough. Probably the greatest gift my parents ever gave me was to pay for my college education in full. I graduated with a BBA with zero debt. I did not appreciate how freeing and amazing that was until many, many years later. Now I realize that not everyone is as supremely lucky as I was, and that graduating debt free is not an option for everyone. But the less debt you have to take on the better. And believe me when I tell you that once you've graduated and gotten your first job, virtually no one cares where you went to school. They care about the quality of your work.

Comment

I'll mimic what others said, only go to where you can graduate debt free or with the smallest amount of debt possible. Do not consider anything else. I ride professionally, but would not be able to do it if I had loans from college. It is tough to make ends meet when you are first out on your own, do not add to that toughness voluntarily. Life is friggin expensive.

Comment

The only thing I'll add about debt is that the rack rate tuition isn't necessarily the right number to look at in terms of debt. If you qualify for financial aid, an expensive school might actually be cheaper and have less predatory loans. https://collegescorecard.ed.gov is a very good resource to help you see the debt students actually have. Make sure you're aware of what aid is just for your first year, what you can count on for four years, and be aware that a 5th year sometimes doesn't qualify for any aid. Look for places that successfully send people to vet school if that's what you want.

Whether or not a school has an IHSA team, most places will have some sort of horses near by and someone to ride with. Good luck!
                          If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                            The only thing I'll add about debt is that the rack rate tuition isn't necessarily the right number to look at in terms of debt. If you qualify for financial aid, an expensive school might actually be cheaper and have less predatory loans. https://collegescorecard.ed.gov is a very good resource to help you see the debt students actually have. Make sure you're aware of what aid is just for your first year, what you can count on for four years, and be aware that a 5th year sometimes doesn't qualify for any aid. Look for places that successfully send people to vet school if that's what you want.

Whether or not a school has an IHSA team, most places will have some sort of horses near by and someone to ride with. Good luck!
                            Good point about the 5th year. Some also don't cover summers if needed.

Comment

I would add upon what others have said, there may be riding opportunities, if not more, outside of a team setting. As a college student, I actually taught in a program and we had college students contact the barn to start lessons which grew into working-student positions of sorts. There are barns across the U.S., if you are visiting campuses you may want to do some research into the lesson barns in the area. Riding on a team was never on my radar, from both a non-amateur card and general interest, and I found lots of opportunities to ride and be in the barns. Even as beginner riders coming in, different barns, at least from my experience, often have great-barn cultures that offer opportunities for extra barn-help to riding lesson ponies.
                              These barns thrived in college towns because the college students could come hours the younger students or working amateurs couldn't. We would travel to local shows together, hang out at the barn, so look up local barns! (Social media is a great avenue to do some research)

Comment

Texas A&M grad here. I chose A&M because it was a fantastic education for the money. I graduated debt free from undergrad. Professional school will set you back $250k+ (speaking from experience) so you want the least amount of undergrad debt possible. I did not ride on the equestrian team at A&M.

There are plenty of opportunities to ride outside of a school program, especially at A&M. You could take lessons at a local barn, look for a free or part lease, or offer to catch ride or exercise others horses.

If you are planning on professional school, I would encourage you to focus on your grades and minimizing debt. Veterinary school was (is?) more competitive than medical school. You will need fantastic grades and community service to stand out on applications.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your input! This seems like a lot of good advice and I can definitely look into other stables/riding opportunities around the campus. I guess I sometimes get a bit of an “all or nothing” mindset which is absolutely not the case here. I have time to do plenty of research when it comes to both schools and barns- it feels like college is coming up so fast sometimes, but I’ve still got over a year. Thank you!

Comment

i think you need to start with the reality of the cost of college.

Have you talked to your parents about their ability to support you/ contribute you to your expenses. You don't say where you live but if it is not Texas or New York, then the two colleges you mention are going to be exceptionally expensive when you consider out of state tuition and living expenses

Like the others have said, focus on the quality of your education. If you want to track towards vet school, you should probably work on getting as much real life experiences and working opportunities that will help give you the competitive edge in vet school entry.

You might do well to go to your local university and live at home. You could try to get part time jobs in clinics barns and other facilities where you will experience real world work situations which will look good on your vet school application. The money you earn can help support your tuition and perhaps leave some for riding. If your state university has a vet school, it opens work opportunity

YOu have animal experience already; cows and horses, build on that. It would be nice to have fun and be on a college team, but the reality many people are facing now is that college is ruinously expensive and unless things change, many are going to be left behind.

_\\]
                                    -- * > hoopoe
                                    Procrastinate NOW
                                    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

As hard is it might be, I would definitely pick a school where you will get the education and degree that will support your riding down the road, even if that means not riding on a team. There are always opportunities to ride outside of school (working student, lessons, even teaching at a local barn to make some extra money). I feel for you! Good luck!

Comment

I wouldn’t rule out being able to do everything you want without a ton of debt. I attended a well regarded public university, rode on the IHSA team, had a blast, made lifelong friends and graduated with no debt, albeit with some but not a ton of parental support. I also worked off board for my horse the last two years of undergrad. Ultimately I decided Med school made more sense than Vet school but I was well qualified to go either way. Even with quite a bit of Med school debt, I found a career that has allowed me the income stability to pursue horses more competitively than my parents could support.

You sound very well grounded and will find your own best path. Keep studying and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X