Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

UMS_01

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I would like my summer horse back.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like my summer horse back.

Where can he be found? As of this week, he’s been replaced by a spooky, leapy, scooty, bucky beast. Do I post ISO ads on Facebook? Call all the local trainers and see if they’ve seen my summer horse anywhere? Maybe the police in case he escaped from his paddock undetected by barn staff?

Me too. I called to complain about it and they are sending him back to me, but they are backlogged and delivery will take six months.

Comment

Does he still have grass?

Try increasing vitamin E to 5,000 IU per day. Hay only keeps minimal vitamin E once dried. Severe Vitamin E deficiency causes horses to have muscle disease and significant issues. There is a theory that slight decreases could play into some of the spooky and strange behaviour we see in the winter. Not quite deficient enough for clinical disease but just below optimal to drive some of the behaviours you are describing.

https://equusmagazine.com/diseases/needvitamine

Comment

Mine has to be ridden perfectly during the winter, if you’re not straight she lets you know. I’m now learning how to ride very correctly!
        i also make sure to let her get her beans out once a week if so on the lunge line.
        i also agree with the vitamin E, immune is generally happier in vitamin E in the winter. Must get that going again come to think of it!

Comment

I have found that a lot of time, it’s about the cold.

Horses are tense and frisky because they are cold, and want to warm up.

I get very back sore easily from the cold, so I don’t see why our horses wouldn’t.

It’s blanket, quarter sheets and back on track time of the year for me.

I have the BoT warmer on while grooming and tacking.
          I have a warm wool quarter sheet for training sessions that I can remove at will.
          The BoT is put back on as soon as the saddle is off.

During the colder days of winter, I train with the BoT warmer on.
          ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
          I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
          HORSING mobile training app

Comment

We have fake winter and our horses essentially never get grass. If anything they might get more fresh grass in the winter. But they still get silly. I think it’s a combination of the temperatures, especially overnight, and the light changing. Not just that there are fewer hours of daylight but that the quality of the light is different. Maybe it’s telling them to do something?
            The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

The one of mine that gets "bad" in the winter is happy if he was warm enough the night before. He wears neck rugs. all winter and wears a heavier blanket than my other horse.

Comment

Have you tried unplugging him and then plugging him back in?

Comment

Displaced Yankee Spoken like a true IT from my work...

Comment

i put the quarter sheet on when it gets into low 50s/high forties. i swear it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by EmilyM View Post
                      i put the quarter sheet on when it gets into low 50s/high forties. i swear it helps.
                      It absolutely helps, and it's not hard to understand why The horses at our barn are generally blanketed over the winter as our turnout is more limited than summertime and we can't guarantee they'll be able to move enough to stay warm. Plus, many of them are clipped to support being in work. Pretty standard across many barns.

So, you have a horse relying on blanketing to stay warm. You take off the blanket to groom and tack up, the horse is going to get chilly. Chilly horses, like people, have tense muscles. Physical tension is the gateway drug to mental tension - particularly when a rider can feel the tension and responds by getting more tense as well (in addition to any tension they themselves have from the cold). Add to that the fact that horses naturally want to move to warm up and there you have it - fall/winter madness.

Keep a nice cozy cooler on during grooming and tack up, and use a quarter sheet and you keep those muscles - and therefore the brain - much more relaxed!

Good to remember, too, that in the very hot weather horses are often actually relatively sluggish. They have LOTS of physical mass and it's easier for them to keep warm than to cool off. So a horse that is perkier and fresher when its cooler outside is very often feeling more "himself" than when it's super toasty and he's trying to stay cool by exerting as little energy as possible!

Comment

DiamondJubilee : Nah, AT&T Uverse customer service when my internet is down. Again.

Comment

I have a 7 year old OTTB (chestnut to boot) who thankfully hasn't gotten the sillies yet! I'm about to body clip him next week so I may have a completely different horse on my hands.. LOL. First OTTB chestnut gelding I've owned that isn't spooky, no buck, and isn't ticklish or girthy. Love my guy <3

Comment

• Original Poster

Good suggestions!

I’ve tried unplugging him, and then plugging him back in. He looks the same to me.

I pulled on his tail a few times, wondering if that was the “reset” button. Nope. I also tried swiveling both ears. Nope.

I live in the Northeast, and replacement summer horses are not available until mid-May. They said maybe I could borrow one for a week or so as soon as April, but I’d have to return him if it snowed again.

I tried reasoning with him, carefully explaining that although I understand he may get cold, it was 62 degrees out and “a little wind” was no excuse for shenanigans.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh and I am going to put him back on vitamin E, which I do periodically. Good point!

Comment

When I got back to riding I knew I was too handicapped to ride a horse in a "Its COLD!!!!" run, buck, snort.

I got myself a BOT exercise sheet, it really helped. Then for the really cold windy days I got a second exercise sheet to put over the BOT exercise sheet. This is in addition to the BOT/ThinLine Contender II saddle pad, the BOT exercise boots, the BOT poll cap, and the Fenwick face mask with ears.

The horses I ride seem content to huddle under their exercise sheets when it is cold, especially when I turn their tails to the wind.

I just ride in riding rings now, and the rings are exposed to the bitter North wind in the winter. Before I was crippled it was no problem, I liked those gallops. However when I started riding again I ended up feeling really sorry for the horses I ride in the winter, I mostly walk, some trot, and I often have to stand for a minute or two to rest. The poor horses were standing there going "Lady, you know it is COLD and this wind is BITING, but I'm not exploding since I have to take care of your sorry body, DO SOMETHING!"

Nowadays the horses I ride are "clothes horses" in the winter and in the fly season. They have come to expect no less than my utmost concern for their comfort.

Comment

RileysMom , you are cracking me UP with this. Thanks for the laugh! I've also tried all of the reset options you did, with little change. Very disappointing.

Though I did confirm recently that my horse has kissing spine, so I'm sure that is part of my issue. I asked if the manufacturer could send me a replacement part, but apparently the model I have was discontinued approximately 10 years ago and parts are hard to come by. So we're going with some maintenance, and I'm buying all of the blankets to keep his little back warm! He's originally from a warmer climate, so I don't blame him for hating the cold...I just wish he sucked it up and used better manners about it, like I have to do!

Comment

Funny, mine has gone the opposite way, Mr Sensible and level headed turned up again.

Maybe there is a finite amount of Pzazz that is issued for the horse population, so it has to be shared around. Chuck had his share for the summer, now it has moved on.
                                    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I am in the opposite boat! My big lazy mare hates to be hot and she can often be grumpy and sulky in the summer. But last week her winter alter-ego finally arrived! I now have a forward and responsive horse with a big floaty trot and canter departures to die for. I will have to watch out for the occasional spook after daylight savings time, when the shadow-ponies start following us around the arena in the evenings.

Comment

We get a real winter here. Like -20 degree winter with several feet of snow 😂

Had our first cold day a few weeks ago. I went out to grain.. shocked and appalled with their behavior 😂

I have a new vet coming out for teeth floating/general winter wellness exam 🥴 wish me luck. I’m super everyone is going to be sedated tomorrow. Including me.
                                        https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Working...
                                        X