Sport Horse Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Trainer drugged my horse... WWYD? Updated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowing that a trainer uses Ace BEFORE the horse even misbehaves on the trailer, and for stall kicking at a show, would leave me wondering if this trainer is severely lacking in training skills--meaning she has few other tools in the toolkit. Even if you get her to stop drugging your horse, is she still a trainer worth training with?

Comment

Conversation you heard:
      Trainer: Should I sedate your horse for a trip to an unrated show?
      You: He's normally quite good on long trips, I certainly don't think that's necessary!

Conversation trainer "heard:"
      Trainer: I routinely sedate all horses, unless they are calm to the point of comatose, for all shows that don't drug test. I'm subtly implying this to you, without stating anything directly.
      You: *does not make categorical statement like 'don't drug my horse, and I'd rather he not go to the show if he can't travel without being Aced'*
      Trainer: Ha! I got my consent.

Unless it's an emergency (horse is hurt, out of his wits with pain, needs to be in a trailer to hospital), utterly inexcusable. Even if the trainer thought she had consent to administer the drug, she should have called you first--at least texted you--that she was doing so. Did she seem upset or outraged when you pressed her further that you heard she had lied to you?

Rather than engaging in open and honest dialogue with you, it sounds like this barn is taking advantage of the fact you can't be there 24/7 to monitor what's happening to your horse, as is often the case with people working 9-5. Your trainer isn't showing good horsemanship or respect for you as an owner.
      Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

Originally posted by Impractical Horsewoman View Post

Unless it's an emergency (horse is hurt, out of his wits with pain, needs to be in a trailer to hospital), utterly inexcusable. Even if the trainer thought she had consent to administer the drug, she should have called you first--at least texted you--that she was doing so. Did she seem upset or outraged when you pressed her further that you heard she had lied to you?

And even in that scenario, acepromazine would not likely be an appropriate choice of medication...
        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

In my many years I’ve only tranq’d one horse to ship. And only because she “scrambled sideways” on turns. BUT. she was travelling to Florida (34+) hours and not horse showing and it was Dorm not Ace (FYI Ace can take up to 21 days to clear some horses systems...Dorm 48 hours). So the solution was .4 dorm IM and put her on trailer last. After a couple long ass trips we used hobbles and no tranq but she was well broke to them...and in a larger “California box” or full box stall. That aside, no trainer should ever tranq a horse that is going to be showing at any level whether rated or not. This leads me to suspect Bute may also be used silly billy to get clients horses to show better as well! This is fully against anything I’d ever do to a client horse let alone mine...whether it be 5* or backyardagins show next door. Not cool
          Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

The trainer giving "ace'. after you had stated that you did not believe it was necessary, is unconscionable. Of course, the trainer gave it beforehand, giving acepromazine to an already upset horse doesn't work. If the horse had been presented to the trailer w/o medication, and refused to load, or thew a fit, the trainer simply calls you and advises that the horse is not going, so don't waste your time going to the show.

I would have quiet conversation with the trainer, and with any luck, this will not happen again. Your other option is to leave.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
              The trainer giving "ace'. after you had stated that you did not believe it was necessary, is unconscionable. Of course, the trainer gave it beforehand, giving acepromazine to an already upset horse doesn't work. If the horse had been presented to the trailer w/o medication, and refused to load, or thew a fit, the trainer simply calls you and advises that the horse is not going, so don't waste your time going to the show.

I would have quiet conversation with the trainer, and with any luck, this will not happen again. Your other option is to leave.
              It's not just that the trainer gave the horse Ace before trying to load it that day. According to the OP, the trainer gave the horse Ace before EVER seeing the horse have any problem trailering. The trainer just ASSUMED the horse would have trouble trailering based on its general personality. That is what seems truly extraordinary about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post

And even in that scenario, acepromazine would not likely be an appropriate choice of medication...
                Oh, absolutely, I only meant that any drug given to a horse, for any reason, should be cleared with the owner first except in a genuinely life-or-death situation. And even then, presumably, any clearance for vet care would go through the owner.

I'd be curious as to why the friend who saw and objected to the drugging enough to report it to the horse's owner is staying with this trainer.
                Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

I didn't read that the witness was upset or objected, just that she told the OP essentially, "I saw Trainer give Dobbin Ace before getting on the trailer." And I don't think my question was answered that the witness is independent of the trainer or not. She may not be a client of the trainer, but stays because of the facilities, cost, care (barn staff, not trainer), etc.

OP, did you ever ask the trainer?
                  COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I'd ask the trainer straight out if they gave the horse ace and if the answer is yet I'd be out of that barn so fast their head would spin. Haul and handle your own horse in the future.
                    Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

I'd be curious as to why the friend who saw and objected to the drugging enough to report it to the horse's owner is staying with this trainer.
                      There was no friend present. Just a long time client who happened to tell the OP about the drug, probably as a "no big deal" conversation.
                      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

I expect my trainer/B.O. to notify me if they are planning on administering anything to my horse. A quick text or call. Anyone handling my horse that doesn’t respect that, would no longer be handling my horse. Period.

If I was in your shoes, I would be having a serious discussion with your trainer. And, if didn’t get the answers I wanted, I would be finding a new trainer ASAP.

Comment

What makes your trainer think your horse is a worrier? Was this the first time trainer was shipping him? Does trainer have their own rig or use a commercial shipper for shows. While I don't condone use of drugs, if this was first time trainer was shipping and horse is a "worrier" trainer may have thought it best to take some edge off. If it was their rig, they might not want to risk your horse getting hurt or damaging the trailer. Whatever their reasoning might have been it should have all been part of the discussion beforehand. Not sure what the OP's situation is but I think if I had this sort of conversation with my trainer I would've told them I would be there to help load even if it meant a much longer day at the show.

I'd let the trainer know you heard that horse got some ace and want to know their reasoning for it. Based on what they have to say then you can make a decision.

Comment

I grew up in a time and discipline where a touch of ace was used much more frequently for situations in which the horse may tie himself up in knots, so I'm not that bugged about the "drugging" except that you guys haven't spoken about it. Trainer probably thinks that you simply said "I don't think he'll need it", and if it did indeed happen, then trainer's opinion (which you pay for) was that he did need it.

I'd simply have a conversation, as it sounds like a misunderstanding IMO. It's totally ok for you to want to not have meds administered, but you should just make that clear as at some barns, the trainer makes those calls.

Comment

i would address the situation with the trainer and nip this in the bud now.

Comment

Oh, absolutely, I only meant that any drug given to a horse, for any reason, should be cleared with the owner first except in a genuinely life-or-death situation. And even then, presumably, any clearance for vet care would go through the owner.

This. I would be furious. I would NEVER allow someone to give ANYTHING to my horse unless explicitly instructed to do so and under a vet's instruction. Wow. Just wow. I wouldn't be able to stay with this "trainer" (I use the term loosely, it doesn't sound like she has good horsemanship). Obviously she has proven to you that her go to to is to medicate, instead of train, or say the horse is staying behind if there is a problem loading.

Comment

If Ace is her go-to trick for anxious or misbehaving horses, I'd be high-tailing it out there faster than the rabbits being chased out of the yard by our dogs.

Seriously. Why do people keep supporting trainers like this? We can't cry out for a clean sport and then support trainers who operate like this.

There are *some* legitimate uses for Ace, and I have absolutely used it before for specific reasons and when there weren't other options.

But giving a sedative to a horse getting on a trailer (where they need their balance and wits about them) is what I'd do as a last resort. Not as a preventative for an anxious horse who has a history of traveling *well*. And never without explicit permission from an owner.

There's a LOT of things one can do for an anxious horse that don't involve a tranq...

OP, the horse world is small. I'd also hate to hear rumor mills starting of "oh, her horse got ace before he showed" spread by a jealous barnmate who inserts *just* enough truth to make it believable and skips just enough details to make it seem nefarious. Even on the local circuit, drugging isn't looked upon fondly by most.
                                  Jennifer Baas
                                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Step 1: Confront said trainer about the drugs. Don't even side step around the conversation. Come right out and ask it. No reason to indicate someone else told you what occurred. just ask it.
                                    Step 2: Exhibit said trainers response
                                    Step 3: If said trainer denies it; ask them why others who were present said the horse was injected
                                    Step 4: If said trainer admits to it; ask why they feel entitled to inject your horse with a drug without ever consulting the owner
                                    Step 5: Either make it 100% clear that your horse is never to be given anything with your consent or give your 2 weeks notice and get the hell out of there.

Under NO circumstances should a trainer ever administer ANY drugs to a clients horse without consulting or phoning the owner. I don't care if the horse is turning itself inside out about getting on the trailer; the trainer is very much in the wrong here. Get answers. Straighten out the situation or get the heck out.

Comment

Originally posted by snaffle1987 View Post
                                      Under NO circumstances should a trainer ever administer ANY drugs to a clients horse without consulting or phoning the owner. I don't care if the horse is turning itself inside out about getting on the trailer; the trainer is very much in the wrong here. Get answers. Straighten out the situation or get the heck out.
                                      I agree with this 100%. If I literally couldn't get the horse on the trailer without drugs or a big escalation in other measures, I'd leave the horse home rather than do something without incorporating the owner.

I know of trainers who will make the argument "Well people who ride with me should trust my judgement" and that is true to an extent, but in my opinion there's also a line of what's appropriate to do without an owner's involvement. I'd much rather have the "You need to pay me for training to get the horse loading better - or do it yourself - and I'm sorry but he had to stay home from the show because I couldn't get him loaded safely" conversation than to drug the horse or escalate the situation and risk injury to myself or the horse.

But what's worse in this situation is it seems the trainer gave the Ace more out of possible need rather than the horse being difficult to load. It's such a cavalier attitude towards medicating horses without consent.

Jennifer Baas
                                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Originally posted by snaffle1987 View Post
                                        Step 1: Confront said trainer about the drugs. Don't even side step around the conversation. Come right out and ask it. No reason to indicate someone else told you what occurred. just ask it.
                                        Step 2: Exhibit said trainers response . h
                                        Step 3: If said trainer denies it; ask them why others who were present said the horse was injected Y
                                        Step 4: If said trainer admits to it; ask why they feel entitled to inject your horse with a drug without ever consulting the owner
                                        Step 5: Either make it 100% clear that your horse is never to be given anything with your consent or give your 2 weeks notice and get the hell out of there.

First off. I don't, never have needed to drug my horse except when medically indicated. But some of you on here are jumping to conclusions. First how does the "resume" client know what was given to the horse - were they up front and center? Was there a giant syringe that said ACE on it? Was it injected or given orally? you can administer ACE either way. Many assume trainer gave IV vs IM. Some say trainer should never give meds - might change your mind if you have a bit of a colicky horse or a bad choke. Maybe trainer gave a tube of ulcerguard or something since trainer says horse is a worrier. Why does the trainer think the horse is a worrier? Others assume horse was giving ace to load.

The best thing is for the OP to just have the conversation with trainer - let trainer know you were told your horse got ace, and you thought you were clear that by saying he didn't need it, means no. Next time make sure your schedule allows for you to be present at the barn to help wrap and load horse - that way you can see what's going on and pretty much take care of everything yourself.

Comment

She doesn’t actually know if the trainer really gave the ace because she’s relying on barnmate’s hearsay and probably getting worked up by all the additional fodder here.

She needs to go up to the trainer and say “did you give my horse ace to get him on the trailer?” And then go from there. If the answer is yes, she needs to make sure trainer knows in no uncertain terms that that’s not ok. None of this “well, he shouldn’t need it” because that can be interpreted by the trainer as “he might not need it but it’s ok to give if I determine he needs it”. Don’t just rely on what another client told you though. God knows that’s how barn drama is born. Be an adult and have a conversation with the trainer.

Comment

Working...
                                          X