Sport Horse Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

4 year old jumper training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 year old jumper training

My KWPN filly just turned 4 years old this past July. She's going walk, trot and canter under saddle, knows her leg yields, and mostly gets the concept of accepting and reaching into the bit even if she doesn't always do it due to strength, etc. I've popped her over small logs and other small solid obstacles outside cross country, and done some little two fence gymnastic grids (she did her first tiny ascending oxer last night).

Just curious as to what people are doing with their young jumpers, and what they teach or expect of them at this age. I plan on continuing to work on small grids this winter and cantering ground pole courses. She's still a bit uncoordinated at the canter so I don't plan on cantering any actual fences with her anytime soon.
    "People who say riding isn't a sport are just intimidated because in our game, the ball has a mind of it's own."

The five YO classes are 1m to 1.20. So you know those four year olds are doing a meter at home before their five year old year.
    But IMO it’s a bad idea to jump baby horses that high. I prefer building confidence over little stuff so that I preserve joints and the horses don’t get burnt out at a young age.
    However, I do know people who have horses who have jumped bigger fences since a young age with minimal issues. So it could be very true I am ‘babying’ my babies.

Comment

For the young horses I've ridden and trained I've always tried to listen to them- some are jumping 1.20 by the end of their 5yr old year, some are in the 1.0 ring still, both are okay.

Depends on confidence, natural talent, disposition, and growth. Most at 4/early 5 I try to do just one day of "dressage" work, 2 days of circles/straight lines/flatting/riding the orangutang out of them,1 day of poles/small jumps, and 1 day of trail riding. Most of the time in the ring I'm not riding for more than 20 minutes, and I am on them for max 30 minutes. They are like children, there is only so much they can handle at once, so its best to do it in small repetitive pieces.

Comment

I watch those young horse classes in awe...I go so much slower with my youngsters and I wouldn't know how to do it differently. I do a lot of work with them when they are young to emphasize timing and footwork. Also, it's important to balance the work that they do to build strength (their bodies are still developing and they invariably lack strength at this age) and also to learn that work is fun. Four is a great age to teach a youngster other life skills like little trail rides, working in a group, etc.

Agree very much with emphasizing rideability and basic training at this age. If you have that, raising up the jumps in a couple years will be super easy.

Comment

I erred on the side of caution and didn't really jump until 5. I set out ground pole courses and worked on track rhythm and pace. I'm more worried about longevity than ribbons when they are so young, personally. But I plan to keep him forever.
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

I think responses will be all over the spectrum. If it's going to be a "real" jumper (1.40+) then by the end of it's 4 year old year should be doing 1.10m courses. Yes, the 5YO jump 1.20 but it's an 8 jump course, only 1 combo, no jump off, easy properly-adjusted lines, etc. If it's going to max out at child/adult, or you're in no rush, then I think what you're doing is totally appropriate!

Sidenote: did anyone see Liubov's Instagram of her 6YO jumping the 1.40 at Tryon?! I think that is definitely excessive (ESP considering there are good young horse divisions there.) But Royce turned out ok, so what do I know...
            When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Comment

Originally posted by OutsidersOpinion View Post
              For the young horses I've ridden and trained I've always tried to listen to them- some are jumping 1.20 by the end of their 5yr old year, some are in the 1.0 ring still, both are okay.

Depends on confidence, natural talent, disposition, and growth. Most at 4/early 5 I try to do just one day of "dressage" work, 2 days of circles/straight lines/flatting/riding the orangutang out of them,1 day of poles/small jumps, and 1 day of trail riding. Most of the time in the ring I'm not riding for more than 20 minutes, and I am on them for max 30 minutes. They are like children, there is only so much they can handle at once, so its best to do it in small repetitive pieces.
              Riding the orangutang out of them 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

This all depends on how young you want your horse to break down and become a pasture ornament for the rest of its life.

Do you know and fully understand that the last growth plates to close on a horse are those in the spine - where you sit?!?! And that those growth plates don't fully close until "on average" (smaller horses earlier, larger horses later) 5 years of age?

That means that right now you are riding and jumping a horse with open growth plates and the average horse person should be able to understand the kind of damage that's doing to a horse that's still growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterrain View Post
                  I think responses will be all over the spectrum. If it's going to be a "real" jumper (1.40+) then by the end of it's 4 year old year should be doing 1.10m courses. Yes, the 5YO jump 1.20 but it's an 8 jump course, only 1 combo, no jump off, easy properly-adjusted lines, etc. If it's going to max out at child/adult, or you're in no rush, then I think what you're doing is totally appropriate!

Sidenote: did anyone see Liubov's Instagram of her 6YO jumping the 1.40 at Tryon?! I think that is definitely excessive (ESP considering there are good young horse divisions there.) But Royce turned out ok, so what do I know...
                  I think it depends; I’ve seen horses go onto the big leagues but not be started over jumps until later in life. I think the main market for the 5/6 YO classes are people who are showing that horse to sell. A 6 YO jumping 1.20 brings a lot more than an 8/9 YO jumping 1.20, even if that isn’t its max.

Comment

I follow the young jumper program with most of mine. In the 4yo year most of mine are jumping 1.10-1.15m courses by the end of the year and [very occasionally] jumping single fences at 1.20m - 1.30m. In the 5yo year they're usually coursing 1.20m with occasional singles to 1.30m/1.40m by the end of the year. By the 6yo year they wind up at 1.30m by the end of the year with the occasional precocious horse ready to do a 1.40m by the end of the year.

But there's a really important point about that that I think people forget about. The riders who are following that program ARE NOT MISSING to jumps or having to learn "alongside" their horse. They aren't chipping or making the horses take the hail mary long spot...I'm not saying all of the distances are perfect, but the "chip" in an amateur's hands turns into an intentional deep spot more often than not in a pro's hands. The riders are [more often] confident, calm, supportive of the horses, and not stressed in general. That is a very different skill set for the rider AND experience for the horse than what it would be like with a rider learning along with them.

Also, there isn't nearly as much drilling....at least not in a good young horse trainer's program. For my own young horses, they might jump 2-3 times a week, but often it's literally 3 fences and they're done. That is also a very different amount and type of jumping than someone follows in a lesson-type program.

With all of that being said, it really is all over the map depending on the horse. Right now I have a 5yo who has been the punkiest most ridiculous thing on 4 legs since day one. She MIGHT get to the 1.20m in her 6yo year. MIGHT. No question she will be pretty spectacular when she catches up with her peers (mentally), and worth every ounce of energy I've put into her. But she made it clear on ride number one that her program was going to be "unique."

And I think people tend to forget that they're only seeing the most precocious horses in the young jumper classes. It's like the tiny tip of a giant iceburg of a large number of horses who just aren't ready to be at that point. And when I say that I do the YJC classes, it's worth pointing out that I buy 3 and 4yos from Germany who are already identified as "the precocious" ones out of a huge number of youngsters who are not. So even my own perspective is skewed by the insanely nice-brained horses I get from my breeders. My mare mentioned above was one I bought at a few weeks of age and is a good reminder that the best laid plans can easily shift based on the horse.

But back to the OP and her questions - what you are doing sounds like a great program for a young horse. There really doesn't need to be any great pressure on a youngster, and I don't think they wind up "behind the curve" if they're not jumping bigger. I like to give my 4yos the winter mostly off (if they're still ridden, there's minimal jumping and a whole lot of trail rides and easy hacks on a long rein). But doing little grids and basic flatwork is a good plan. I start cantering fences in the horse's first or second time jumping, so I don't think that's too much to ask. But there's not great need to do so either. As someone else pointed out, a lot comes down to what your expectations are down the line. If you want a 1.60m horse you need them to be doing a lot more than a horse who you'd like to compete at a mid-range level on a longer time frame.

I do want to add (as I've said about three million times here), since this discussion almost always ends up there, that I do not believe that jumping horses more earlier has any direct correlation with soundness issues down the road.

Comment

my 4 yo KWPN filly is away at the trainer's doing W-T-C-lateral work-deferalizing (ahem, desensitizing).

They are all different. this one is like PNWjumper's punk mare -- but I am letting someone else work through that, a good Ray Hunt-type western trainer. She's really coming along but she needs to work through this phase before I'm brave enough to take over.

If the basics are there the jumping part will be pretty easy. I don't think your horse is "behind" at all. Yes if you wanted to do YJC, no to be a nice jumper down the road. Not at all.

Comment

PNWjumper, such a great post on so many points and I really enjoyed reading it. I completely agree with your points about the need for a very specialized program (and specialized horses) to achieve these results. I'm in awe of the riders that can give that kind of ride, and to those special young horses.

Originally posted by PNWjumper View Post

I do want to add (as I've said about three million times here), since this discussion almost always ends up there, that I do not believe that jumping horses more earlier has any direct correlation with soundness issues down the road.
                        What I've quoted here I think you are right but I would state it differently. If you don't have a specialized program AND a precocious horse, the main risk is not physical soundness. The main risk is that the horse will lose confidence or learn bad habits or learn various evasions, or simply dislike work/jumping in general. Negative feedback from an inadvertent bad experience can be very difficult to overcome. And those "bad" behaviors can often be interpreted as soundness issues. Going more slowly and adding life experience and focusing on rideability with a horse adds a "buffer zone" for the horses to learn and progress and not be rattled by a bad day or a bad ride.

I think the key is that for a regular person it's best to tailor your program to suit you and and your horse, instead of overly comparing yourself to others.

Comment

Not a jumper trainer in the least, I actually kind of suck at jumping. But my 4 year old has probably done about...idk, 6 or 7 total jumping sessions under saddle? And the highest we have gone is an 18 in vertical a few days ago. But, like PNWjumper pointed out, I am not even close to a pro, I can't help get him to a good distance very well, and I don't have the experience of training hundreds of youngsters to jump, so I am absolutely NOT in a rush. Not to mention I think he is just going to suck as a jumper as well so we aren't focused on it, more focused on dressage basics and if I can get him to happily pop around a 2 foot course eventually and that is all he wants to do, I'm fine with that.

I do have to say though, I thought I would dread cantering him over jumps but he has been much easier to jump ("jump") from a canter than from a trot. It's just a bit unnerving because he has a fairly low-set neck and carriage, this winter will probably be a lot of really working on improving his canter and letting him figure out jumping without me picking at him so much. And maybe jumping things from a trot (maybe even a walk!) since I dread it so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post

I do have to say though, I thought I would dread cantering him over jumps but he has been much easier to jump ("jump") from a canter than from a trot. It's just a bit unnerving because he has a fairly low-set neck and carriage, this winter will probably be a lot of really working on improving his canter and letting him figure out jumping without me picking at him so much. And maybe jumping things from a trot (maybe even a walk!) since I dread it so much.
                            In that situation, I would focus on setting up a simple line, maybe 5 strides long with a cross rail to a low vertical. Add a placing rail in front and then just practice trotting in to jump 1 and cantering out over 2. Do it a few times and call it a day.

My hunter trainer did this for his green horses and green riders and it helps both bc 1) you're not finding a distance to jump one. Just sitting quietly, supporting with your leg and grabbing mane so you don't hit your young horse in the mouth. This also helps teach you not to jump ahead. 2) you can practice working on your eye as you approach the second jump. You know how many strides you're doing (whatever you set plus one stride), you can relax and practice seeing if you're getting there a little early or a little late.

Bc the striding is easy for the horse in the line, he leaves the ground on jump 2 confidently and feels like it's easy. Bc you know better where you are, you build confidence. And the trotting in helps him learn to sit a little more to the jump. Cross rails are also nice for straightness and getting the shoulders up.

Even though I do the jumpers now, I do this exercise with my young jumper and even my more seasoned horse when I want to practice on me in a way that helps me slow down and focus.

Comment

Originally posted by greysfordays View Post

In that situation, I would focus on setting up a simple line, maybe 5 strides long with a cross rail to a low vertical. Add a placing rail in front and then just practice trotting in to jump 1 and cantering out over 2. Do it a few times and call it a day.

My hunter trainer did this for his green horses and green riders and it helps both bc 1) you're not finding a distance to jump one. Just sitting quietly, supporting with your leg and grabbing mane so you don't hit your young horse in the mouth. This also helps teach you not to jump ahead. 2) you can practice working on your eye as you approach the second jump. You know how many strides you're doing (whatever you set plus one stride), you can relax and practice seeing if you're getting there a little early or a little late.

Bc the striding is easy for the horse in the line, he leaves the ground on jump 2 confidently and feels like it's easy. Bc you know better where you are, you build confidence. And the trotting in helps him learn to sit a little more to the jump. Cross rails are also nice for straightness and getting the shoulders up.

Even though I do the jumpers now, I do this exercise with my young jumper and even my more seasoned horse when I want to practice on me in a way that helps me slow down and focus.
                              Oh this is good! One issue I have had with him and crossrails is that he seems to just not feel like he has to put any effort into them. He will kiiiiind of actually try if it's 18 inches at the center, but it's a pretty uninspired effort and he will likely just trot it next time around, even if I get him more forward and in front of my leg. Do you think it would it be good to make a larger crossrail to make him actually use himself more? My other horses have not been quite so...nonchalant about it, this is a relatively new problem for me!

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post

Oh this is good! One issue I have had with him and crossrails is that he seems to just not feel like he has to put any effort into them. He will kiiiiind of actually try if it's 18 inches at the center, but it's a pretty uninspired effort and he will likely just trot it next time around, even if I get him more forward and in front of my leg. Do you think it would it be good to make a larger crossrail to make him actually use himself more? My other horses have not been quite so...nonchalant about it, this is a relatively new problem for me!
                                If he doesn't care I'd definitely raise it up. also make the vertical big enough he notices it is there. Not giant, but enough.

maybe instead of raising it add some flower boxes or something?

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post

If he doesn't care I'd definitely raise it up. also make the vertical big enough he notices it is there. Not giant, but enough.

maybe instead of raising it add some flower boxes or something?
                                  I really like the flower boxes idea if he's pretty nonchalant in general. But raising your cross rail a bit should help too. I forget how big he is? I think you're being plenty safe staying around 18" for both of you.

Comment

So last year I would be all in this discussion. Last year my imported 4 yr old did a bunch of smaller things, after having jumped much bigger in the UK, before I shelved him for 3 months for the winter.

However this year my poor little (not! ) Chad has been sidelined by the worst hives that I have EVER seen in my life, then a punctured sole, then way more hives, then fungus and losing almost all his forehead hair. And finally when he's ready to work again, I'm benched!

All of this is just to point out that it's really fun to play with and educate our 4 yr olds but remember to enjoy the time you are able to ride. It really can go away for a myriad of reasons.

On the plus side surely his back bones are closing without my weight on him. So we'll be able to kick on a bit in 2020.

Emily
                                    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                                      So last year I would be all in this discussion. Last year my imported 4 yr old did a bunch of smaller things, after having jumped much bigger in the UK, before I shelved him for 3 months for the winter.

However this year my poor little (not! ) Chad has been sidelined by the worst hives that I have EVER seen in my life, then a punctured sole, then way more hives, then fungus and losing almost all his forehead hair. And finally when he's ready to work again, I'm benched!

All of this is just to point out that it's really fun to play with and educate our 4 yr olds but remember to enjoy the time you are able to ride. It really can go away for a myriad of reasons.

On the plus side surely his back bones are closing without my weight on him. So we'll be able to kick on a bit in 2020.

Emily
                                      That was my last year, exactly a year ago actually. Horrid case of cellulitis that would not go away. Of course, he was 3 then, so it wasn't really like it put a dent in our training but it's still frustrating. Right down to being benched as soon as they are better, he was cleared and I started having crazy panic attacks driving and it took me months to be able to get to the barn with any regularity. So now I am incredibly grateful for any time I get to actually work with him.

On another note, you said 2020 and I was like, omg that's so far away....then realized that it really isn't. Where has the year gone??

And flower boxes, yes! I want to build some little rolltops and walls and other jump fillers for my barn too, if I can figure out how to do it.

Comment

Yes sadly I would say that my ability to do much in 2019 is doubtful at best, unless the shoulder improves enough in the next 10 days to make a run at a show in the last week of 2019. Even still I would likely be looking at winter stuff in Jan- Mar next.

Em
                                        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Working...
                                        X