Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Birman1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Insensitive Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long time ago I was offered a young warmblood for cheap as it had kicked and killed its breeder when he was trying to load him.

I didn't buy the horse as I felt I would be uncomfortable owning a horse knowing it had killed someone regardless of fault. What if it kicked anyone else? Would I disclose the incident to a future owner? I don't know what happened to the horse in the end. It wasn't just about financial liability, it was also about morals.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

2 pony club kids swapped ponies to ride home. One was a good rider. One was a beginner. The good rider was at the point of not kicking the pony to go. The beginner got on the more advanced pony. Held the reins and kicked. The pony shot forward hit the bit, went up fell backwards and landed and killed the rider.

The beginners Parents lost their child and wanted the pony put down as dangerous. Those who could ride knew that it was not the ponys fault.

It divided the community.
      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

I have also seen a rotational fall over stadium fences. It wasn't even a big fence (maybe 2'9). I was in a far ring and saw it, and the trainer and rider were alone, so I came up quickly. I was in time to see the trainer try to get my friend to sit up, despite clearly having a broken clavicle and repeating the same sentences over and over because of a head injury.

I immediately called 911 and got my friend to stay still, and tried to keep her away. The trainer tried to convince me not to call 911.

Needless to say, I didn't blame friends horse, but I refused to take another lesson with the trainer.

My husband and I have talked about it, what we would do, considering we are both eventers. My old gelding who could be dangerous would have been put to sleep if it had been his fault (he struck me twice in the head rearing once, but there were extraneous circumstances). Our horses now, we would try to keep if we could mentally handle it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone- like I assumed it seems like there is no consensus and every scenario is specific. Interesting point bought up about potential liability and litigation.

Unrelated to horses, but somewhat similar there was a house in my neighborhood that an elderly couple had been murdered in. House took ages to sell until a buyer came along that didn't care. Some years later that buyer rented it out but didn't disclose... It seemed a little shady to not disclose to renters.... and that's just an inanimate house, not even a living breathing animal. I can't imagine all the various scenarios that have occurred in the horse world.

And of course as well all know- a horses history often doesn't go with it. I just tracked down the girl who now owns my equitation horse that had both splint surgery and colic surgery while we owned him. Of course that information didn't make its way to her, now 6 years and three owners later. Which is really sad since hes had colic issues and lameness issues which would have been helpful for the owners to know. I often wonder what other information is left out of a horses history.

Comment

I knowingly bought a horse that attacked someone and bit him in the throat. Horse was a stallion at the time and mentally sensitive. I have varied accounts of what happened and got the thrush from the person he attacked ( years after I bought him). I did not care, I had known the horse for years and bought him 6 months after it happened. Horse was gelded and is literally a puppy dog. He worries easily and could be a problem in the wrong hands but he is truly my buddy. He has never been aggressive with me and is quite affectionate. Some horses just need a different handler. Gelding helps too

Comment

The safest horse I've ever swung my leg over broke my neck.

I was a teenager and badly misjudged a large oxer. Horse got tangled in the back rail and we both went down. I ended up fracturing my neck in the fall. The orthopedic surgeon told me that if the injury had been 1" in either direction I would've been paralyzed or worse. It took me a year to recover but I'm fine now (except for some minor arthritis). I still have the horse 18 years later. My parents recognized it wasn't his fault and leased him out vs. selling him while I was recovering.
              Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
              My equine soulmate
              Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

I know two who were involved in freak fatal accidents and they became school horses. I didn’t find out their histories until years later. Both were really great horses.

Comment

My barn owner fell off one of her horses and died, she had just fallen off him 3 months before and had broken her collar bone. She was older and needed a horse that stood still for mounting, and both times he spooked while she was getting on. A more agile rider without physical issues would have been fine.

I had difficulty placing him as some people wanted to have him put down. I ended up sending him back to his original owner.
                  http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

my trainer had an accident that landed in the hospital in a coma for weeks with a brain bleed. she still cant really ride beyond flatwork. nobody knows what really happened, trainer cant remember groom was getting a different horse inside and asst was in the tackroom. all we know is they were just flatting in a circle. he never had a history of bad behavior or dangerous. he was 7? i think out of a super well known GP stallion from a big showjumping breeder in europe with many siblings in high level SJ
                    was sold within a 2 months to a different show home saw him go a few times at wef over the last 2 years does the 1.15 classes with an amatuer lady still doesnt seem to have a spook, will take rails and not blink about it. i think he was sold with a discount though and disclourse

Comment

When it's not the horse's fault, usually there's some effort to not disclose the horse's identity. I've seen it happen with pros with their own catastrophic accidents that didn't result in death, but I also was at a barn of 40+ boarders who came together and pledged not to name the horse to ANYONE when a teenager had a riding accident and died. It was very clearly not the horse's fault, he actually did everything he could have done right, but the trainer had put them in an unsafe position and the trainer was named to the media. That horse was sold and I do believe the owner disclosed it to the buyer once it was clear they were serious, but not everyone would have. There was no adjustment to price, but the buyer did change the horse's name just in case.

When it's the horses fault, major discount and disclosure in the contract.

Comment

Someone local died falling off at a show. It was just a freak thing, not the horse’s fault. She was a capable rider and he was a kind, appropriate horse— it was just bad luck all around.

No one seemed that interested in buying the horse. I saw him for sale at a quasi-local quasi-bad-news dealer and inquired. They had changed his name and I was not told about the accident. I assume he was sold without disclosure to someone unaware of the accident.
                        ~Veronica
                        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I don't even think it takes a freak accident where someone dies.

I owned a horse that kicked the shit out of me Day 1 at new boarding barn. We'd had terrible weather and nothing but hand walks for weeks and my spicy TB was not having it. Trainer semi-politely told me that she did not want to work with my horse. As she was the only HJ trainer there, and the barn required you to be associated with a trainer to *ride in the rings*, I had to move my horse. Next barn had already heard the story somehow. I ended up selling the mare and took a huge hit $$ wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                            There's been a few horses around here that were involved with freak deadly accidents. One spooked and kicked the girl's mother in the chest while putting on a blanket, one young stallion that reared in a stall with the young trainer/breeder, and one young horse who leaned into a vet while tranquilized and fell on him. All horrible and tragic deaths involving knowledgeable horse people, all arguably preventable but situations we've all found ourselves in.

The first two were from when I was a teenager so I'm not totally clear on details but I think I recall that the first one was owned by the daughter for many years to come, though she slowly dropped out of riding (can't blame her). The young stallion was part of a family breeding operation, which they continued after the daughter's death, and I believe they gelded and sent the horse away for training and sale with a contact. The one that fell on the vet (the vet was paralyzed for a year or so, and then died from complications) has stayed with the family and shows locally, and it's very rarely talked about since it was such a freak accident (even more so than the other two, IMO).

In all the cases my perception has been that people were incredibly sad but also acknowledged that these were risks that experienced people had taken, and not the fault of the horse. None of these were horses I ever handled myself, but even just hearing about them made me a bit more careful around my own.
                            Did the blanket one happen in BC? I think I remember hearing all about it and meeting the horse that did it. Tragicly sad.

Comment

IMO it's actually not an insensitive question at all. It's very sensitive to the fallout of a fatal incident onto the future of the horse. (or near-fatal)

One sad thing about horse accidents that are fatal to a human is that even a horse that was obstreperous or aggressive is just an animal behaving instinctually with very limited understanding of their own actions, and probably no understanding that someone died.

While I can't say about the horse market specifically, it is definitely true that if a tragic, unexpected death is associated with a real estate property, it is unlikely ever to sell at full market value, even 25+ years later. These are known as "stigmatized properties" and it's a real estate term you can internet search. The more publicity there was around a high-profile case, the more stigma attaches and the longer the stigma will last, even across generations.

The stigma is due to the memories and feelings associated with the property, not the level of fault (the house didn't murder anyone). An owner who lives there may not feel a stigma at all, but that doesn't matter to the public.

I can easily see how this would pertain to horses as well. Even if the horse had no real fault, every sight of the horse triggers the reaction "that's the horse that ... ". The people around the horse on a daily basis may get past the mental reminder, but everyone else's memories (and mouths) will be triggered at the sight of the horse.

The sight of something stigmatized triggers gossip and speculation which perpetuates and spreads the stigma. It's human nature and unfortunately can't be prevented.

Even if a prospective buyer doesn't view the property or the horse as the cause of the tragedy, they may not want to deal with the stigma of everyone they know (and don't know) asking them about it. Over and over. Indefinitely. It never ends and it gets old.

Sometimes there is an attempt to disassociate a stigmatized property from the tragedy by changing the house number. Sometimes the community will cooperate by changing the street name as well, to try to deflect drive-by lookey-loos (who continue to drive by for years and years). However, in this day and age the internet tracks and publicizes the address changes, so that's become futile in high-profile cases.

That's sort of the equivalent of changing the horse's show name to deflect those memory triggers. But, there is always someone in the local horse community who recognizes the horse in spite of the name change. If they are talky about it, soon everyone else will know as well. I can imagine that the old 500 mile rule would help with the horse, along with the name change (that is, avoiding a horse's local reputation by moving it 500+ miles away).

And again, this has nothing to do with fault or even the factual details of what happened (which are usually lacking). It is about memories, feelings and gossip being triggered by associations with a death.

Comment

I once boarded at a barn where the owner had a small breeding operation. The year before I was there she had hired someone to clip all of her young horses before shipping them south for training for the winter. One of the horses kicked the lady clipping, she hit her head on an open stall, cracked her skull open, and died instantly. Lots of things happen when you try to clip a young horse for the first time and no one really knows what happened. Maybe the clippers got hot or the cord hit the horse funny and it wasn't entirely a freak accident, but prospective buyers really ought to be informed of things like that. Horses have plenty of different reactions to clippers but launching people across the barn is something I'd certainly like to know about. Plus it doesn't mean anything about what the horse is like under saddle.

The owner of the farm would not tell anyone who the horse was or even acknowledge that someone had died on her property. We found out when one of the neighbors asked if "the horse who killed that lady" was still there and then hopped on Google and found out what happened. The new trainer that had been hired to ride her horses and I were able to narrow down who the horse was to two possibilities [with a strong gut feeling it was the plain bay]. But the owner wouldn't even tell the next person she hired to clip her horses who to watch out for, so they were all drugged heavily at the trainer's expense.

Comment

A woman I know succumbed to injuries two months after a bad fall. The story was that the horse was known to need a turn out before being ridden but that step was skipped that day at the woman’s direction, and he bucked her off. I don’t know if the horse was ever ridden again, but when I moved to the barn a year later, there was the horse. Her husband kept him and continues to fund his retirement.
                                  A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

Originally posted by autumnmoment View Post

Did the blanket one happen in BC? I think I remember hearing all about it and meeting the horse that did it. Tragicly sad.
                                    Yes, all three (four) incidents I mentioned were in BC. That one happened in the early 2000's, maybe 2005 or so?

Comment

Originally posted by Can'tFindMyWhip View Post
                                      I once boarded at a barn where the owner had a small breeding operation. The year before I was there she had hired someone to clip all of her young horses before shipping them south for training for the winter. One of the horses kicked the lady clipping, she hit her head on an open stall, cracked her skull open, and died instantly. Lots of things happen when you try to clip a young horse for the first time and no one really knows what happened. Maybe the clippers got hot or the cord hit the horse funny and it wasn't entirely a freak accident, but prospective buyers really ought to be informed of things like that. Horses have plenty of different reactions to clippers but launching people across the barn is something I'd certainly like to know about. Plus it doesn't mean anything about what the horse is like under saddle.

The owner of the farm would not tell anyone who the horse was or even acknowledge that someone had died on her property. We found out when one of the neighbors asked if "the horse who killed that lady" was still there and then hopped on Google and found out what happened. The new trainer that had been hired to ride her horses and I were able to narrow down who the horse was to two possibilities [with a strong gut feeling it was the plain bay]. But the owner wouldn't even tell the next person she hired to clip her horses who to watch out for, so they were all drugged heavily at the trainer's expense.
                                      I own a horse that will launch you over clippers, sometimes even drugged. It never occured to me to NOT warn people that he's risky even drugged. And I don't let anyone clip him unless I know them and know they'll take that concern seriously. I had one trainer insist it must just be a handling problem. Had the vet sedate him, trainer still got launched halfway down the barn aisle. I can get a bridle path, and he'll let me get his legs as long as I'm holding up the one I'm clipping. I refuse to clip him if anyone else has a horse in the cross ties, and always make sure I have a second person there in case of emergency.
                                      Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Working...
                                      X