Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Walter Moore rear view
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Choice of Horse/Discipline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are young and early enough in your riding career that you need to be making these decisions with a trainer. Don't put yourself in a situation of ending up with the wrong horse because you try to do this on your own. You just don't have enough experience. That's not meant to offend you, it's just the reality of your age and experience.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a lot to figure out before it's smart to buy a horse, especially if you're questioning which discipline you want to do!

If dressage interests you, go take lessons for a month or two and learn more about that sport. Obviously there's no jumping in dressage, but aside from that, it won't necessarily be less intimidating. Dressage horses are to be light, forward, sensitive, etc.

Once you've chosen a discipline, you need to chose the right trainer. It doesn't sound like you trust your current trainer's advice. I recommend trying a couple others to see if you get the same or different advice from them.

Then you need to choose reasonable goals that fit your personal ambitions, your time available, your talent, your financial backing and your parental support.

THEN you should begin selecting the proper next horse, with your trainer, with those goals in mind.

Everyone wants to do the shiny fun stuff like Pony Finals, especially in our Instagram era. And it may be the right goal for you. But there's a lot to consider about whether that's a smart goal for you. It is a very expensive trip, you very likely won't get a ribbon but will be there for the experience. A LOT of first timers have a very poor showing over fences due to nerves and the very different setup/style of the show. Plenty choose to go for the experience (and it can be a wonderful experience if approached with the right set of expectations and attitude). But part of growing up is accepting reality. 5'3 isn't tall but it isn't especially tiny either, and is going to look best on a large, which is 3', which is legit, especially on a pony. Are you competent at that height...not just at home or over a soft, local course, but at Finals - the biggest, most challenging course/environment existing for 3' ponies? Can you afford a lease or buy on a real large pony who can attend finals without being over-faced? Are your parents willing to spend the money qualifying, and then spend the $5k it'll take to attend? And in that context, is going still a smart goal for you?
    Jennifer Baas
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Agree with needing a trainer with a “presence” at big shows and knows how to navigate them. Pony finals are easy to qualify for. A lot of people just wait for the fancy pointes to go to Florida or the other winter circuits and qualify against less competitors that are generally not as hard to compete against. You will be up against professional pony jocks and the classes are huge once you get there though.

Ponies are a tough sell and easy to lease. You can even lease a pony just for the finals if you wanted and your trainer had the connections. Big bucks, but so is campaigning to get there. You could step up to the horse and lease a pony for the finals when you’re ready.

No to the 5 year old. As quiet and sweet as he is, he is a baby that will be looking for a knowledgeable rider to guide him through his training. You’re not there yet. That’s how people and horses get broken.

I love the idea of a school master that is safe and knows it’s job, but that will challenge you to keep you learning. Be careful of the broken ones though. Another lease opportunity for a year to see if it works before committing to ownership.

Dressage is the fundamentals of hunters. They need these skills and strengths to be balanced and adjustable in hunter land. Good luck. I’m very happy for you that you have such amazing opportunities to choose from and supportive parents!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Have you take dressage lessons? If so what level have you ridden at? Have you done a dressage test competition?

If you just want to switch to dressage because you are a nervous rider, you need to try it out first before you buy a horse and commit to it. Dressage still requires a big moving horse that is in front of your leg, and this can make lots of ammies and juniors nervous. It also requires a different seat.

if you are wanting to switch disciplines you should take some lessons and perhaps get a half lease on a dressage horse for 6 months to see if you like the sport. it is very detail minded and technical, some people love it and some people find it too fussy and controlling.

And you want to buy a horse with some dressage training already..
        I have taken a few dressage lessons, not at a high level, though. I'm going to admit it--I did not think about a big moving horse, which, as you say, does make me more nervous. My trainer has a Holsteiner that is schooling 3rd level and showing 1st/2nd, and perhaps I am mistaking this quality for nervousness. I have ridden this horse one time and he was great, but cantering on him does make me nervous. I have been leaning towards hunter and honestly want to give it a shot while I'm still young enough for junior heights. When I have to move to higher divisions because of age, then I may reconsider, but for my junior years, I would like to have a shot at hunter. Do you think that's a good goal?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by blondewithchrome View Post
          If I were in this scenario, I’d probably consider leasing the pony for a year to try and make it to pony finals - THEN move up to a horse. In my experience, a large pony doing 3’ hunters is MUCH more friendly than a big horse doing the same height. Ponies are a great way to step up and learn if you are anxious or nervous about horses getting fast or feeling strong. Their small size lends well to that - makes us feel more in control

It sounds like you need to have a serious goal setting discussion with your trainer. Discuss what your likes and dislikes are about the hunters, and confirm it is the right path FOR YOU. do you enjoy jumping and the skills required for a nice hunter round? If not, perhaps the hunter route isn’t for you. If so, have a serious talk about what your last years as a junior look like to you. Pony Finals for a 16 or 17 year old is totally feasible on a large pony, and if that’s your dream - go for it. I have had many friends of mine who did the ponies until they aged out and had a blast! After all, that is what it’s all about.

I would also be wary of this sales situation. The focus you have on size and horse breed should be less of a concern than - is this horse safe, honesty, reliable, sound, and a good match for me and my goals? That can come in many different packages, so be thoughtful about making the right choice about your next horse.
          Yes! I really do want a shot at ponies, but I'm going to take your advice and have this goal setting discussion ASAP. I've mentioned pony hunters to her, but I don't know if she knows that that's something I've really wanted to do for awhile.

I was mentioning height and such for comparison on the pony situation--I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. After seeing all these horses' ads/talking to owners, they're all safe, reliable, and sound (with a possible exception with the fourth horse-I need to find out whether there was a previous injury there). I am quite worried about making the wrong choice, as whatever horse I get, my goal is for it to be one I won't outgrow throughout my junior years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar3backTorture View Post
            I was mentioning height and such for comparison on the pony situation--I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. After seeing all these horses' ads/talking to owners, they're all safe, reliable, and sound (with a possible exception with the fourth horse-I need to find out whether there was a previous injury there). I am quite worried about making the wrong choice, as whatever horse I get, my goal is for it to be one I won't outgrow throughout my junior years.
            Again - PLEASE work with your trainer in finding a horse. Do not do this independently from her. Honestly, it is most appropriate for her to be contacting the owners on your behalf. You don't say how young you are, but even as a mid teen, you need an experienced adult both advocating for you so you aren't taken advantage of as well as able to assess whether the horses are a good fit for you. And you need to make sure that the trainer approves of the match and is involved in the process.

Don't trust seller's words that the horses are safe, reliable and sound. Some sellers are honest; some will say whatever needs to be said to sell the horse; some are downright unethical and will cover up major issues; some simply have a different definition of safe, reliable or sound that may not jive with yours. Involve your trainer!

Also, again depending on how old you are and what your goals are, having one horse for your entire junior years may not be realistic. Just keep that in mind. There can be a lot of growth over a handful of years. It could be best to lease one for a year and then purchase....again, this is where trainer expertise is invaluable. With the level of nervousness it seems you may have (and there's nothing wrong with that) you need something confidence-building and appropriate, but it's amazing how quickly one can outgrow that. On the flip side, something green that could in theory grow with you could also prove disastrous to your confidence and progression as a young, nervous rider. Unless you have a fabulous budget - then perhaps you can find younger, fancy AND super safe and be good to go! Those are out there but they are priced accordingly!
            Jennifer Baas
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

I have been leaning towards hunter and honestly want to give it a shot while I'm still young enough for junior heights. When I have to move to higher divisions because of age, then I may reconsider, but for my junior years, I would like to have a shot at hunter. Do you think that's a good goal?
              I am wondering where you have gotten the idea that you MUST move up in height based on your age? I can't think of any examples in modern day, rated, hunter-jumper competition where the height of the fences to be jumped is dictated by the rider's age. In the pony divisions, fence height is usually based on the size of the pony. Sometimes for special medal classes, a certain height must be jumped, but generally speaking, you should always be able to find a class or division suitable to your and your mount's capabilities - whether that is cross rails or 3'6".

If you are interested in jumping with a horse more than in doing only flat work/dressage, then by all means start with hunters - with the right trainer who installs correct basics, that should give you a great foundation. But just remember that jumping is basically staying with a horse in the air, and while the ideal hunter proceeds around the course at a steady pace, most divisions above the intro ones require cantering the course. To do this, the horse needs to be nicely in front of the rider's leg and carrying a pace very similar to like what you would find in a training or first level dressage test.
              Last edited by Groom&Taxi; Oct. 14, 2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BITSA View Post
                here's my $.02. Your trainer sounds wonderful, but it might be worth finding one that is doing the types of shows you want to now. You don't want to be the only client going to a show as it gets expensive bc you end up shouldering more trainer cost splits. If you can afford to and have the desire to go to PF, you need a trainer who can get you there and has the contacts to be able to give you your best shot.

If PF is your dream get a large pony who knows his/her job.

If PF seems fun but isn't the be all end all, get yourself a horse that will give you confidence--not a 5 year old. I cannot emphasize this enough. I am not a super confident rider either, and if I had not been able to keep my old school master when I got my young horse, I would have almost given up from feeling incompetent. Young horses can be very rewarding, but progress can be slow with lots of ups and downs, and I think you will go further building confidence.

I also don't think I'd buy a horse at an auction. I'd find a solid citizen with a good reputation. A lease might be a great option for you too. You can find a lot of nice horses who need to step down bc of age and can give you the confidence you need without the commitment to owning.

You are lucky to have such great choices!
                I would really like to go to PF, but not if it's unrealistic. The pony is far from me, so I'll be looking at some horses as well when I go. The event wasn't an auction (it has passed now), but both the horses I was looking at are still available. I'd think about a lease with the right horse, although I have been scared of leasing (I feel like I would fall to pieces losing an attachment to a lease horse). I have no problems with owning, as my school is a bit unique and allows me enough time for ownership. I know this may be an unpopular decision, but I am set on not switching from my trainer. She is the best person for me, my current horse, and my confidence issues. I am very, very lucky to have costs not be a problem for my family.

I do have great choices! I'm thankful every day!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by WildLittleWren View Post
                  If I were you I would stay away from sales and auctions. This is a big investment (and the purchase price is the smallest investment!). I would slow down and take my time looking and trying out horses (after you figure out what your goals are/what you want to do). When it has been me, when I meet a horse that makes my heart go pitter patter AND makes me so excited to think of going to the barn and working with it, that's the one (providing they pass PPE, get trainer's approval, etc). There is no rush. I would definitely throw out the 5 year old. Even the quietest 5 year old can have moments, they just haven't the amount of world experience an older horse will have. And you don't want to ruin your confidence. Good luck OP!
                  Thank you! Even with these horses, I'm still looking. I don't THINK I'll try the 5 year old, but I already mentioned him to my instructor (who knows the person offering for sale), and she's handling it now. I will speak to her and tell her that although I mentioned that horse, I don't think he's the right choice for me.

And yes! Under no circumstances will I buy a horse I don't connect with.

Comment

I would really like to go to PF, but not if it's unrealistic. The pony is far from me, so I'll be looking at some horses as well when I go. The event wasn't an auction (it has passed now), but both the horses I was looking at are still available. I'd think about a lease with the right horse, although I have been scared of leasing (I feel like I would fall to pieces losing an attachment to a lease horse). I have no problems with owning, as my school is a bit unique and allows me enough time for ownership. I know this may be an unpopular decision, but I am set on not switching from my trainer. She is the best person for me, my current horse, and my confidence issues. I am very, very lucky to have costs not be a problem for my family.

I do have great choices! I'm thankful every day!
                    If you want to stay with this trainer then you will be restricted to doing the discipline and shows that she is comfortable and experienced with.

If you want to do a much more expensive and competitive level of riding you will need to find a different trainer and program.

However it sounds like this trainer is a good match and that you would not thrive in a barn that was dedicated to big rated shows and youth competition.

If you are as nervous about jumping and riding forward as you say, then you need to work more on your riding skills before you make serious plans to compete in the bigger leagues.

On the other hand if you are more comfortable on a large pony or small horse for just general riding and local competition then go for one! You don't need to commit to the expense and rigor of pony finals in order to justify riding a small horse by preference.

​​​​​​It's also important to have goals in life that are achievable not just fantasy. If you are an anxious rider ( which I totally get) then set smaller goals that you can succeed in rather than have a day dream about doing something totally beyond your current skill set. Because sometimes a big fantasy daydream can rob your real achievements of meaning.

Little kids are allowed big fantasies like I want to be an astronaut! I want to be a fireman! I want to be a princess or a rock star! Etc.

But as an adult we need goals we can meet and not be continually thinking our lives are useless because we should be an astronaut or a rock star when we've shown no talent that way.

Assuming you are a teenager OP, these are the years in transition between childhood imaginary fantasy and learning how to set clear achirvsble goals short medium and long-term that you can meet and feel good about. From everything you've said it does not sound like you are currently riding with the confidence to try to compete in a national rated program. Your coach clearly also feels that way from what she's said to you. She isn't currently willing to back you in this because she doesn't want to set you up to fail. That is completely right of her.

Perhaps you could meet with her to discuss achievable goals and milestones for the next 3 months, the next year, and the remainder of your junior career.
                    Last edited by Scribbler; Oct. 14, 2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X