Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Birman1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Signs that a horse dislikes/hates jumping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by starr331

Nope, she is there every day. She's currently severely understaffed, so she has no days off. She's already suspicious that I'm not scheduling lessons or riding Star. Luckily, I had a surgery a few weeks ago that I can blame it on haha. I'm currently trying to get in contact with a friend who knows someone who owns a barn in my area. It's okay for me to tell the vet beforehand about the situation with my trainer, right? So they don't accidentally contact her or anything like that?
    If the vet calls your trainer and your trainer has a problem, remind her that she works for you. Don’t worry about what that trainer thinks. I can bet she already has a bad reputation

Comment

• I would look for another barn and move him ASAP, don't worry about making her suspicious, you've done nothing wrong and it's not a relationship worth salvaging. Just say you're changing barns and will stay end of month/whatever you've paid for, and move to a boarding barn or someplace else in your price range for now.

Comment

• So sorry you are going through this! If you are suspicious that your trainer may drug him, have them pull blood at the vet exam. They don't actually have to do the drug test; they can hold the blood and if it is needed later they can run a drug test on it.

I agree that you should get your personal stuff out that has value in case this turns ugly.

Comment

• OP - in the future, another not mentioned huge red flag here is that with all the difficulty you've had trying to get this horse to jump (which by the way are the first red flag as all all scream pain/discomfort related), your "trainer" has never gotten on it or tried to jump the horse for you.

All possible pain issues aside, if you are having that much difficulty - a) any instructor or trainer worth their salt would have stopped the jumping way before it got to the point of the horse refusing that much and b) would have gotten on and schooled the horse for you.

Unless the instructor/coach/trainer has physical issues such that they can't currently ride (and usually, with these types of trainers, their former resume as a rider is pretty easy to verify), if your instructor/trainer won't get on the horse for you, then they either A) lack the skills to ride the horse through the issue or B) think the horse is dangerous or a combo of A) and B). Good trainers that are physically limited from getting on the horse usually have an assistant or other rider in their program to do this part for them, or they only take on riders/horses that are quite competent on their own.

Be wary of riding school type situations with instructors that call themselves trainers. A lot of people can be a riding "instructor" - where they teach people to ride to a relatively novice level on school horses. A "trainer" can not only teach the rider, but also develop the horse by training it and implement a program for the education of both the horse and rider as a team.

When you are looking for a new barn, this is something to keep in mind. You may want to look for a more general boarding barn with good care, where you can access an in-house trainer or where they have one or more freelance coaches/trainers coming into the barn. Keeping boarding and training separate can be avery good way to avoid future scammers, in my experience. I'm sure posters on this board in your area can certainly help you with recommendations of good places/people.

Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

• oh wow. This whole story kept me reading! OP you have had some fine COTH people jump on here, without judging you and give you good sound advice. And you've listened. My sincere wishes that you can find your way forward, and expose the people who burnt you, and this horse, so badly.

Comment

• Alternatively, if you HAVE to tell her, you can schedule the vet for one day, tell her that it's the day after or a few days after that, then when you and the vet show up just say the vet had called and needed to move up the appointment and you didn't get a chance to let her know. That was she won't get a chance to do anything to him because she won't know when he is coming. And you can just say he is coming out to like, idk, check his teeth or something simple like that.

...maybe tell her the appt is a week or so later than it actually is, if it's a few days and she reeeally wanted to sabotage it she could bute the horse for a few days before the appt to make sure it's in his system.

Comment

• OP in addition to checking the back for kissing spine, also have the pelvis checked for a pelvic fracture. The fact that his hips are unlevel, and his ribcage is out to one side is highly suspicious for a pelvic fracture. this horse must be a saint if he has been jumping for you and has not tossed you into the next county. I know others are saying send him back, and IF you can get your money back that is probably best, however, if the vet is able to figure out what is wrong, and thinks there is a good chance of returning him to soundness (albeit with maintenance) since he seems to be such a saint he might be worth holding onto., ONLY if vet thinks there is a good shot at rehab.

I also am very sorry this happened to you. I also once bought an unsound horse. turned out he had an old pelvic fracture and could not hold up to work. I honestly do not think the trainer who sold him to me knew that tho. She just didn't ride him very often (had too many in barn to sell) so I don't think she rode him enough to know he wouldn't hold up.
                good luck to you

Comment

• I am so very sorry that you are going through this, OP. Your " trainer" is despicable taking advantage of you like this. Can your parents or a trusted adult help you? This whole situation sounds overwhelming for someone your age. IMHO, you sound like you don't have the funds or the experience to own a horse yet. I'm disgusted that so many people let you down. Now you have to do the best you can for the horse; get him to a new barn ASAP, have a vet give him a thorough exam, and then consider selling him or trying to find a good retirement place for him, if possible. Ask on this board for recommendations for a new barn and trainer and then maybe lease a horse for awhile. It is a very hard life lesson for you and I hope you and Star will come out of it unscathed.

Comment

He was a dressage horse, he was and still is really good at it. Went to a lot of shows, registered USEF. They started jumping him this year, he was doing 2feet but I brought him down to tiny jumps because he is seriously bad at distances. He did have a vet check before I got him and I rode him before I bought him as well. The vets cleared him for jumping at that time. Looking back at the videos from when I tried him, he still was pinning his ears back and swishing his tail and somewhat quick after the jump. I am considering having a vet check him out, but money is tight these days.
                    Are you staying off his back on landing? He may not like you sitting down too early or firmly.
                    "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

• Originally posted by CindyCRNA View Post

Are you staying off his back on landing? He may not like you sitting down too early or firmly.
                      CindyCRNA this thread has gone far beyond those basics, it's a really interesting and complicated story.

Comment

• Originally posted by KBC View Post
                        Grabs another cup of coffee, waits for the “you don’t know me or my horse”
                        That's a bingo square isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

CindyCRNA this thread has gone far beyond those basics, it's a really interesting and complicated story.
                          I'm going back and reading now. And I printed out my bingo card.

Comment

• Given the horse's history, where it seems like he was a productive citizen doing dressage and combined tests and then something went off the rails, I suspect he suffered some kind of injury, like a fall. But that's just a guess.

Definitely find out from the vet: (1) how realistic it is to rehab the horse to the point where he is comfortable doing the kind of work you want him to do [if, indeed, the horse needs some kind of rehab]; and (2) how much it will cost to do this.

Rehabbing horses can get very expensive. We took on a horse with a suspensory issue. My daughter got some good use out of her, and we love her (she is retired now), but I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars I probably spent on vet visits, ultrasounds, shockwave, injections... you name it. You get into a mode where you think, "well maybe if we just do this one more thing..."

Since you have budget constraints (most of us do), definitely try to get frank information from the vet on the potential costs of keeping this horse.

Comment

• starr331 331 Hey I don’t suppose you have this guy insured at all?
                              "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I did for the first few weeks in case, but I was looking for a good insurance company before all this happened, so not yet.
                                That makes little sense to me, to be honest a lot of this still makes little sense to me!

Why would you insure him fir a few weeks, then terminate it, THEN start looking for a decent company?

There is a whole lot here that is sounding less and less like fresh caught fish, and like something with a stronger aroma.

OR

Not, is it to early to open the carbordeaux ?
                                "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

• Originally posted by KBC View Post

There is a whole lot here that is sounding less and less like fresh caught fish, and like something with a stronger aroma.

OR

Not, is it to early to open the carbordeaux ?
                                  I have been thinking the same for a number of pages... we have...

Young person (17/18) who doesn't know what she doesn't know (except she knows long toes when she sees them)
                                  Apparently has no parents who can advise her but are likely her source of financial support
                                  Has within the last few months been out of the country and has had surgery
                                  And has made a fairly involved first horse purchase (horse is ten hours away)
                                  From a shady woo-woo farrier/dealer
                                  On the advice of a toxic trainer (understand they are out there, been there done that) who doesn't have enough help

The sad thing is that there are legitimately enough crazies and frauds in the horse bidness that it is all within the realm of possible if not probable.

Comment

• Like the woo-woo.

carbordeaux = cardboard boxed wine

Comment

• Not to get off topic here, but I think it is unkind to be making light of this thread given the unfortunate turn of events.

OP I am very sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you want to do right by the horse. That’s a very good thing as horses like these can easily slip through the cracks to a not so happy ending.

You’ve gotten a lot of wonderful advice here, as stated before there are so many extremely knowledgeable people on COTH who are generous enough to share their wisdom with others. You’ve also gotten bombarded with some replies than are rather interrogative. Reading all of it I could honestly understand why someone might become defensive if they were on the receiving end of it.

From my experiences on this forum, that’s pretty much par for the course. People are extremely suspicious of first time posters and there is no such thing as the benefit of the doubt, for the most part. But as I said before, there really are a lot of very knowledgeable and kind people on here too. You have to have thick skin to start a thread here. All things considered I think you handled yourself pretty well.

Best of luck to you and your horse.

Comment

I truly don't believe I have to talk in depth about every detail of my life. I feel like I've made a fool of myself and have no idea why I would possibly lie about this, so this comment feels somewhat disrespectful. The USA is not my country of origin, and I go to visit family and friends in the summertime, so there's that. To question my parents or my health is out of line. I fully appreciate all of the helpful comments I've gotten, I am worried for my horse, but I've gotten many comments like this from the same people. I'm naive, and I trusted someone who did me wrong. But I'm trying to learn from this and, most importantly, give this horse a good life. I just feel like these comments are useless. Do you get so many trolls on this forum that you have to question every thing?
                                        I suggest just focusing on the helpful advice (of which there is usually a fair amount) and ignoring anything you find unhelpful or too personal, rather than engaging in a discussion about it. Good luck with your horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Groom&Taxi View Post

I have been thinking the same for a number of pages... we have...

Young person (17/18) who doesn't know what she doesn't know (except she knows long toes when she sees them)
                                          Apparently has no parents who can advise her but are likely her source of financial support
                                          Has within the last few months been out of the country and has had surgery
                                          And has made a fairly involved first horse purchase (horse is ten hours away)
                                          From a shady woo-woo farrier/dealer
                                          On the advice of a toxic trainer (understand they are out there, been there done that) who doesn't have enough help

The sad thing is that there are legitimately enough crazies and frauds in the horse bidness that it is all within the realm of possible if not probable.

I don't think this is fair whatsoever.

This young poster is one of the first to start out defensive and then realize and admit to mistakes that she's made in a relatively public manner with many details backed up via the power of the COTH research squad.

Perhaps instead of making her feel worse about the mistakes she's made (mistakes which should have been prevented if our industry was actually made up of ethical human beings, which it sadly isn't) you could either just keep your trap shut, or have a bit of understanding or encouragement for her. She is far from the first who has made unwise decisions after trusting a trainer; in fact most of us if we go back to when we first got into this sport could have ended up in a similar situation had we not gotten in with trustworthy people. My parents were involved, but they were clueless about horses and the industry, and absolutely could have been taken for a ride had our first trainer been so inclined. There are sooooo many people who have gotten into situations similar to the OP's - they just may not have posted about them on the internet.

OP you've gotten a heck of an education in a short period of time. Horse ownership and the industry in general is not for the faint of heart, and unfortunately you ended up with a trainer who did not have your best interests at heart (and/or who isn't an educated, true horsewoman).

Ignorance is forgivable, so long as you now begin to dive into educating yourself about horse ownership and all that it entails. It isn't as simple as it seems, and ultimately, you as the horse owner are responsible for your animal's well-being. You seem like you truly want the best for your horse and are willing to do what it takes, and that is admirable.

I recommend that you post a separate thread asking for recommendations on a good, solid program in your area that you can get aligned with - one with a trustworthy trainer from whom you can learn from.

And sadly, a piece of advice which may not be easy to hear - horse ownership is expensive.Even the least complicated animal costs a whole lot of money, and a wise horse owner should also have additional funds set aside for veterinary maintenance and emergencies. As much as you want to keep this horse, you need to evaluate whether you can truly afford to do so, especially if this horse requires special shoeing, chiropractic or veterinary care in order to make him comfortable. You're 18 and funds are likely limited. Sometimes this sport requires us to take the emotions out and make the best decision for the horse. I encourage you to do that, especially once the vet has evaluated him.

On that note, do you have a trusted equine contact who can be there for that vet appointment. Or perhaps a nearby COTHer could volunteer? (I'd be there if I could, but I live in the wrong state!). It would be really helpful to have an experienced horse person help guide you through these next steps.
                                          Jennifer Baas
                                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Working...
                                          X