Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Signs that a horse dislikes/hates jumping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmilyM View Post

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this was said. i think it's clear he does not like jumping which seems to be your main question. if you have to use the crop to get over any obstacle, it's clearly not something he likes. why he doesn't like it (pain or poor riding) cannot be diagnosed on the internet. if you are willing to do dressage, go for it. getting proper fundamentals on the flat is never bad. good luck!
    Oh EmilyM you must read the whole post. Things have evolved in a very interesting way.

OP, if you are in friendly contact with previous owner you might ask how much money she got for the horse and then compare that to what you paid. Probably Jim would legitimately get a commission but ask about that too if you can. Don't threaten to send horse back to her at this point or she will stop cooperating.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
      I agree that the rehab blurbs on FB make no sense, speaking as someone who understands hoof balance and horse biomechanics on a basic level. The sales barn are idiots.​​​
      They read as very carrot-sticks-R-us.

Regardless, OP - you might want to screenshot and save every post made before they realize their error and remove the public posts. Nonsensical aside, they do indicate that your horse had a pretty severe problem and required "rehab" at their facility and mention his bad attitude under saddle. All of which can help your case legally.
      Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Comment

It is time to consult an attorney. One of my students purchased a Haflinger mare which we discovered was misrepresented.

We had lots of evidence of misrepresentation, and the seller was sent a notice regarding California’s lemon law from an attorney. Legal action was threatened unless she took the horse back and returned the purchase price by X date.

She huffed and puffed and threatened to blow the house down, but in the end she took the horse back. You were sold a horse Which was falsely represented. You do need to get your evidence together first before you start asking questions. You need to get screenshots of anything mentioned about any problems on Facebook. You need to get screenshots of anything mentioned about any problems on Facebook. When you contact his old owner, you must do it in text or email so you have things in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by starr331

Here’s my plan for now: have a vet check him out without telling my trainer. Really, this is the worst month to pay double board... I won’t be able to afford it, board in Miami is so costly. Hopefully, if the vet says he’s okay for flat, I will be able to sell him as a trail or low level dressage horse. I know a horse in Miami will be worth more than one in Milton, so I might not lose too much money. If vet says he’s not/barely rideable, it’ll be worth considering legal action.

I just realized I never signed a board contract - she never gave me a final copy, only a draft which I obviously didn’t sign. I imagine this means I don’t have to abide by her barn rules.
          edit: Jim’s last update on Pistol is around the time the ad was put up, but he doesn’t say that Pistol has finished rehab or anything.
          Do you have a bill of sale for the horse? Have you looked into getting his breed registration papers transfered to you? The previous owners won't cooperate on that once things get hairy and without them he is just another crocked grade horse.

Not having a contract means you don't have a period you need to give notice. It doesn't mean you don't need to follow her barn rules. Contracts are typically about money damage deposit one month's notice. They may stipulate feeding plans as part of cost.

They typically don't cover barn rules like no smoking in the hay loft, no turnout in the barn arena, etc. Those apply to anyone at the barn, and if you are paying board you have signed onto those basic rules.

If this horse bolts then he isn't suitable as a trail horse.

You do realize that a proper vet consult with rads is going to run you up close to a $1000?

Btw did you do a PPE with an independent vet when you bought horse? What vet said he was cleared to jump 3 feet? Your own PPE vet or is this just bs from your trainer and "Jim"?

Get those screen shots now to show your vet and also get them before your trainer gets wind of your plans and warns Jim to scrub the internet.

Comment

I have now lost my taste for both guac & wine

starr331 please take Scribbler 's (& others) advice. Divorce yourself from any further dealing with the so-called trainer or the Sale barn conman.

IIWM, I would move the horse ASAP.
            Can you find either pasture board or even a rescue you could move him to?

I am very sorry to read how badly you were taken advantage of by people you trusted.
            Don't let this spoil any future dealing with horsepeople, but you really need to educate yourself.
            Find a reputable training program for yourself.
            Since you are in a very active show area (Miami) contact a pro at a barn with a presence at H/J shows, since you want to eventually ride that discipline.
            Work on improving your riding & knowledge of horse care before buying a horse.

Good Luck
            & Please keep us posted.
            *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
            Steppin' Out 1988-2004
            Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
            Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I have all the screenshots now. The vet situation is complicated. My trainer told me that one of the reasons she trusted Jim was because he let us choose whatever vet we wanted. However, she didn’t really let me choose because she called the vet Jim recommended and made an appointment for both horses without really confirming with me. I don’t know anything about horse anatomy or medicine or anything like that, so I left a lot of that up to her. They called me a few times during the exam just to ask if I wanted extra xrays, but in the end it was my trainer who said he was good to go. I don’t think I heard that from the vet. I got a vet report in the mail a couple of weeks later.

I can actually find that report now, I remember a few suspicious things about the whole vet process.
              Call the vet and ask for another copy of the report. Ask us questions here if the details are above your skillset.

Also keep in mind that you are completely identifiable to anyone involved in this process from the details. As soon as Jim or your trainer finds out things will explode. I predict about a week maximum before they find this thread.

Get out now. Pasture is fine. You can't ride him anyways. Things will explode around you once your trainer finds this thread. Go now and block her on FB. Tell her the vet recommended some pasture rest and go go go.

Everything will be over between you and trainer when they find this link. Go now. Take your gear home "to clean" tonight, and find a pasture to hide in the day after the vet visit. Then go.

Comment

OP, I do not wish to sound unkind when you are in such a tough spot. Your posts are so filled with red flags that they are like a wall of fire. You had me with the comment about how dressage is dying in Florida!

Be very careful in your future correspondence with Jim. He is a maniacal Parelli-ite and like the Parelli machine, is most likely well-advised in legal matters. He gave a farrier/trimmer "clinic" out here in northern California a few years ago at a local, very monied, nest of carrot stickers. He genuinely believes that his bizarre trimming theories can cure any behavioral issue. The bro is wack but I reckon he is an expert in disclaimers.

What radiographs did the vet shoot? Please tell me they have been released to you (and not your "trainer").

Comment

The more I find out about this, the more embarrassed I feel that I let all this happen. Vet report is so confusing to read. The report noted that wave mouth was present, and my trainer said it was because he hadn’t gotten his teeth floated yet. So I got his teeth floated while he was with Jim, who knows if he even did it. Vet report also noted “mild pain reponse noted with upper limb flexion of both hindlimbs, mild pain response noted with flexion of the left stifle, mild pain response noted with lower limb flexion of the left forelimb, 1/5 right front lameness noted when lunged to the right.” So really the only time the vet called me was to report that they were a little concerned (I can’t really remember if they said what they were concerned about) and they asked me if I wanted extra xrays. Pistol’s toes were long overdue for trimming at this time, so basically any abnormalities in lunging were blamed on that. I had xrays done just in case, and never really got the results back from the vet. Again, all I got was my trainer telling me he was cleared.

This has me all kinds of messed up.
                  Call the vet and ask for the x-rays. Show them to your current vet.

If you weren't present for the PPE the vet would report findings to the trainer and Jim.

I would not buy a horse showing pain all around and especially not for jumping. He's basically sore all around and so wouldn't show a typical head bob limp. Sounds like he has stifle problems.

Why were his toes long at a rehab sales barn?

Your trainer was presented with clear vet evidence at the PPE that horse was sore and discounts this?

Totally incompetent or totally corrupt. I wonder if she has a long standing deal with Jim sourcing project and client horses. That would be good to know.

Comment

OP, you don't *really* need an attorney for this kind of stuff if you're willing to do the leg work. This is a civil matter. When it comes time, demand letter with timeframe of return and repayment, followed by a civil case being opened.

I have a different opinion than others involved. I would NOT remove the horse from the trainer. I'd remove everything else I owned, but NOT the horse, *especially* if you're wanting either the trainer or J to give you your money back. Remove the horse, they will claim he was injured off property.
                    Last edited by endlessclimb; Oct. 7, 2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by endlessclimb View Post
                      OP, you don't *really* need an attorney for this kind of stuff if you're willing to do the leg work. This is a civil matter. When it comes time, demand letter with timeframe of return and repayment, followed by a civil case being opened.

I have a different opinion than others involved. I would NOT remove the horse from the trainer. I'd remove everything else I owned, but NOT the horse, *especially* if you're wanting either the trainer or Jim to give you your money back. Remove the horse, they will claim he was injured off property.
                      Oh oh that is a very good point. Yes. But get all your gear gone. And resign yourself to the fact that moving forward on this will sever relationship with the trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post

The problem is that homes for unrideable horses are few and far between. If you can give him back, do it. This is NOT your fault and you don't want to waste years on a broken horse you were scammed into buying. It is a hard lesson to learn but most of us older posters have been there at some point. I regret the years and $$$$ I threw down the drain chasing after solutions that were never going to be there for a horse.
                        Isn’t that the truth! OP, I haven’t read all the pages yet, but just want to say that I am sorry this happened to you and your horse. He is very cute! Many, many of us have been in a similar position, and it is hard to figure out what to do with such a horse. Best of luck to you.

Comment

The more I find out about this, the more embarrassed I feel that I let all this happen.
                          Well, if anyone wants to look like an idiot, just hang around horses for a while. Folks are quick to point out the red flags because they've learned the hard way, through experience. I was a pretty successful junior and yet cringe at some of the things I did, under the advice of my trainer. Unlike you, I did not even realize that I should have been embarrassed.

Good luck. For now, enjoy grooming your new guy, take him for walks, and take a deep breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Derby View Post

Well, if anyone wants to look like an idiot, just hang around horses for a while. Folks are quick to point out the red flags because they've learned the hard way, through experience. I was a pretty successful junior and yet cringe at some of the things I did, under the advice of my trainer. Unlike you, I did not even realize that I should have been embarrassed.

Good luck. For now, enjoy grooming your new guy, take him for walks, and take a deep breath.
                            OP this is the most important take away. We’ve all been there one way or another. Maybe it’s not a wash. Enjoy your horse as he is until you find out what exactly is going on.

Comment

So I think I can finally upload pictures. At least, I hope it works. A little late for it anyway, but the little guy is enjoying pasture life for now. ❤️
                              Good for him! OP good luck and there are so many good people on this board that can answer most questions. If you haven’t signed a contract you don’t need to give thirty days notice. I personally wouldn’t in your situation. I would find a new barn (feel free to ask for input here) and plan to move at the end of the month to the new place telling your trainer on the same day.

Comment

Get the vet check now and the PPE data from the sales vet, and I think then even if you move him you can point to pre-existing problems not disclosed when you bought him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                  Get the vet check now and the PPE data from the sales vet, and I think then even if you move him you can point to pre-existing problems not disclosed when you bought him.
                                  I agree. Plus you have all the FB posts too, which do discuss the horses discomfort.

Is there a way you can schedule the vet visit when the trainer isn't at the barn? Do you know her schedule, like is there a certain day when she's elsewhere? Or maybe she's away at at a horse show or something? because it would be ideal to have this done when she isn't around at all.

And it may be obvious, but don't discuss this (the issues at hand, this thread, the impending vet visit) with anyone (other than your parents). Because this could really go sideways if the trainer, Jim, the previous owner put it all together.

Also, I'd remove the horses registered name from this thread. Use initials for his name or call just call him Star. I'm going back right now to check to see if I used it and remove it.

Hang in there starr331. This may just have a happy ending.
                                  ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post

I agree. Plus you have all the FB posts too, which do discuss the horses discomfort.

Is there a way you can schedule the vet visit when the trainer isn't at the barn? Do you know her schedule, like is there a certain day when she's elsewhere? Or maybe she's away at at a horse show or something? because it would be ideal to have this done when she isn't around at all.

And it may be obvious, but don't discuss this (the issues at hand, this thread, the impending vet visit) with anyone (other than your parents). Because this could really go sideways if the trainer, Jim, the previous owner put it all together.

Also, I'd remove the horses registered name from this thread. Use initials for his name or call just call him Star. I'm going back right now to check to see if I used it and remove it.

Hang in there starr331. This may just have a happy ending.
                                    Agreed. Name of the horse, name of the trainer, everyone should go back and edit anything identifiable. OP, I'm so, so sorry you are having to go through with this. Definitely get the xrays from the PPE. Maybe, just maybe, it will be something manageable and this will all work out, he will feel better after proper management and maybe even able to jump again. Who knows.

What insanity.

Comment

Okay, I removed Jim's full name so that's not searchable anymore and the horses' name, which is rather unique and stands out. I encourage everyone else to do the same.
                                      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

. . .
                                        It's okay for me to tell the vet beforehand about the situation with my trainer, right? So they don't accidentally contact her or anything like that?
                                        Yes, do tell the vet. And show them everything you have (previous vet report, previous xrays, the FB posts), everything. You don't need to give the whole sorted story, but simply state your concern that perhaps you don't know whats going on with the horse pain-wise and that it is important that you understand exactly what it is and what it will take to fix it.

Does your trainer go off property for lunch or leave at like 6PM or something? Because I'd schedule the vet for the time she is least likely to be inside the barn. If all else fails, schedule him during a known lesson time.

Comment

And starr331, ask the vet lots of questions if you need to. Don't be shy to ask "what does that mean?". All the vets I've ever known were happy to answer questions and explain what they are doing and why. And in this case, you're going to have to be your own advocate. So use your phone to make notes of what the vet says - or just ask if you can record the examination. That way you can go back and review the process later, if you have further question.

You can do this!

Comment

Working...
                                          X