Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

_MG_4777-HDR

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Devon Fall Classic Accident - Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone else who has had about hmmm seven (that I admitted to my employer ) concussions including one lovely grade 3 that occurred when a horse mistook my head for a soccer ball and resulted in me trying to attack ER staff, including launching myself out of the wheelchair at the end and going rabidly after the poor doctor... every time, every ride. I'm glad CO is on the list because they also are the only ones who fit me well (the GR8). Hopefully it's on the MIPS list...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
      As someone else who has had about hmmm seven (that I admitted to my employer ) concussions including one lovely grade 3 that occurred when a horse mistook my head for a soccer ball and resulted in me trying to attack ER staff, including launching myself out of the wheelchair at the end and going rabidly after the poor doctor... every time, every ride. I'm glad CO is on the list because they also are the only ones who fit me well (the GR8). Hopefully it's on the MIPS list...
      The GR8 is the most perfect-fitting helmet I've ever had, and the Trauma Void EQ3 also fits (I've got one). Worth trying on the TV!
      I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Ohhh really?? Well ho hum! I've got I think two years left before my current one expires

ETA: is the sizing the same?

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I wear a 7 GR8, a 7 One-K, and a Medium Trauma Void Lynx. I also bought a Trauma Void Eq3 in 7 1/8, although I intend to sell it because it just doesn't fit me that well compared to the others. The 7 was clearly too small.

Comment

For anyone who loves the Tipperary helmets: they fit me best out of all the helmets. I just got a TV Lynx, and it fits me very well too. If you decide to try Trauma Void before the Tipperary version comes out (because let's be honest, these things tend to get pushed back), go for the Lynx. It does feel slightly heavier when you first put it on, but you stop noticing pretty fast.

Comment

I posted before that I took advantage of the Helmet Sale Weekend to replace my 5 year old OneK that I loved. That is, until I tried the Lynx! I have a small head, and the sales woman suggested the TV. It fit so incredibly well! But to make sure I wasn't just being pushed into a helmet that they wanted to sell I tried on a OneK, Samshield, CO, GPA etc. None fit as well as the TV Lynx. I LOVE it! I got lots of nice compliments from my barn mates and trainer (was a bit worried about that!) . I sincerely hope that other brands begin to use the MIPs technology.
              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

Ohhh really?? Well ho hum! I've got I think two years left before my current one expires

i know I'm riding the line from being pushy versus trying to be helpful. Let me state this clearly. I wouldn't wait. This accident and reading the testimonies from other MIPS wearers who have had head injuries has been an awakening. This would be a great moment to try the mips helmets out there on and see if any fit.

There's only so many chances in life to really do the right thing for your health. Trying will at least help you know if what's out there is worth switching to. If not for you then at least you know.

Em
                "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Well I'm currently in a Charles Owens, and they seem pretty safe. I did some independent review of MIPS when it was first out, and I'm not 100 percent how it would have helped in your particular situation over a different type of helmet, however I appreciate that you want others to be safe! I'm just not financially able to replace a safe and well-tested helmet because there is something else out there. I do want to try a TV and probably will because I've had a TBI, and they suck.

Comment

I wear a 6 5/8 in both (I have a small, apparently round, head )

Comment

• Original Poster

WI did some independent review of MIPS when it was first out, and I'm not 100 percent how it would have helped in your particular situation over a different type of helmet, however I appreciate that you want others to be safe! I'm just not financially able to replace a safe and well-tested helmet because there is something else out there. I do want to try a TV and probably will because I've had a TBI, and they suck.
                      Well it's not science or research heavy but here's how it helped.

1) As the MIPS allows the brain to move that all important 10-15mm as we saw in the linked MIPS videos, my brain didn't get the direct hard hit with no allowance to "Slosh" as it would in a AYR8. As a result of not being confined to the impact path and having no allowance for the brain to rotate free of the helmet I didn't have the same impact as I would have had in a non-MIPS helmet. As a result of this I haven't had any concussion after effects such as:

Inability to sleep well
                      Headaches
                      Fatigue
                      Dizziness
                      Anxiety
                      Aggresion
                      Loss of focus
                      Eye sight issues
                      Light sensitivity
                      and so on.....

2) Having had at least 10 concussions before this I can say without even slight effort that that has never been true before. I have always had symptoms that lingered. This time I was myself again after 24 hours.

3) I get helmets are expensive but people do buy used helmets that haven't been fallen in. In theory a current helmet could be sold so you can swing the $199 price on say a Lynx or the EQ3 is only $249 likewise the new CO is only $250 as well.

4) If you have had a TBI already, I would really suggest that you try to switch over to any MIPS helmet that you find to be comfy enough to invest in, asap. The technology has been proven in other sports and given how often riders fall, is becoming proven monthly as more and more MIPS helmets are purchased and riders wearing them hit the ground.

Em
                      Last edited by Xctrygirl; Sep. 30, 2019, 10:46 AM.
                      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by SolarFlare View Post

I wear a 6 5/8 in both (I have a small, apparently round, head )
                        Round? And the GR8 fits? Isn't it for ovals? Because I always had forehead pressure and a headache before I found them...

Comment

i bought the trauma void last fall because of mips technology. last weekend, my horse caught a toe, tripped, and never recovered. we both went down. i ended up breaking my wrist and banging up my shoulder. i remember at first hitting my head but had no pain or anything so i forgot about it at the hospital. xrayed wrist went on with life. i saw my helmet the other day and it looks like a werewolf scratched it. i will be getting another trauma void.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by EmilyM View Post
                            i bought the trauma void last fall because of mips technology. last weekend, my horse caught a toe, tripped, and never recovered. we both went down. i ended up breaking my wrist and banging up my shoulder. i remember at first hitting my head but had no pain or anything so i forgot about it at the hospital. xrayed wrist went on with life. i saw my helmet the other day and it looks like a werewolf scratched it. i will be getting another trauma void.
                            Use their replacement program.

Fill out the accident form and you pay a prorated amount (50% if 1 year or less; 25% 2 years or more)

Instructions are here:

https://traumavoid.com/Crash-Replacement-Policy.html

@TheJenners

As odd luck would have it a friend of mine from Seattle bought a TV online and needed help seeing if it fit appropriately. I did a little research last week and there is a knowledgeable shop that is 1 hour from her home, and if you do live on Whidbey Island, they're also 1 hr from you.

Shop is called "The Gift Horse Saddlery"

Here's their address: The Gift Horse Saddlery, 13300 NE 175th St, Woodinville, WA 98072

I spoke to Ellen when I called. She does know about and has both TV models. I believe she has the CO ones as well.

Maybe that's worth a drive ?

Em

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                              As odd luck would have it a friend of mine from Seattle bought a TV online and needed help seeing if it fit appropriately. I did a little research last week and there is a knowledgeable shop that is 1 hour from her home, and if you do live on Whidbey Island, they're also 1 hr from you.

Shop is called "The Gift Horse Saddlery"

Here's their address: The Gift Horse Saddlery, 13300 NE 175th St, Woodinville, WA 98072

I spoke to Ellen when I called. She does know about and has both TV models. I believe she has the CO ones as well.

Maybe that's worth a drive ?

Em
                              OK, for a split second I was wondering how the conversation had turned towards buying a television.

I will say I’m a little surprised at how many people have multiple helmets at once. I have always had one helmet at a time, and when it needed to be replaced, I went out and got a new one.

Comment

MHM I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was like...did this thread take a major turn or what?
                                Jennifer Baas
                                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Sigh, so far I'm batting a thousand with the MIPS helmets. My store stocks the EQ3 and CO MyPS models, and none of them have fit me comfortably enough to invest in. Even with the "oval" pad for the EQ3, it didn't fill the sides enough on the size that didn't crush my head front and back. Now, we don't have the Lynx, but I've had two other brands of dial fit dials crap out in less than a year so I'm a little wary.

The CO models, the front of the helmet shapes back in the forehead too low for my head. According to a friend that works for CO, I have a "high, upright forehead" which lends itself to the depth of styles like the Ayr8. Low profile tends to sit up on top of my head like a mushroom cap. I have a poor record of fitting Tipperary's newer styles, so unless they have a big change, that one might not be a contender, either. Sigh.
                                  Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by WNT View Post
                                    Sigh, so far I'm batting a thousand with the MIPS helmets. My store stocks the EQ3 and CO MyPS models, and none of them have fit me comfortably enough to invest in. Even with the "oval" pad for the EQ3, it didn't fill the sides enough on the size that didn't crush my head front and back. Now, we don't have the Lynx, but I've had two other brands of dial fit dials crap out in less than a year so I'm a little wary.

The CO models, the front of the helmet shapes back in the forehead too low for my head. According to a friend that works for CO, I have a "high, upright forehead" which lends itself to the depth of styles like the Ayr8. Low profile tends to sit up on top of my head like a mushroom cap. I have a poor record of fitting Tipperary's newer styles, so unless they have a big change, that one might not be a contender, either. Sigh.
                                    I'm so sorry. This is tough but I get it The lynx is great feeling but I can't attest to the dial survival because I just don't know.

I will say the Tipperary folks have been very nice about sharing their info. The new model will be called a "Windsor" and it was debuted at the AETA trade fair. They're trying to get some pics to share. Also they're going to have a skull cap as well with Mips.

I'll try and email a few more companies this week while I'm away in Kentucky.

Em

Comment

Wow, that is a hell of an accident, Xctrygirl, glad to hear your helmet saved the day! In your communications with TV, wondering if they've mentioned whether they will be putting out a wide-brim model? It's a must have for me (eye issues leave me super sensitive to sunlight); I see the CO MyPS has one, but I have a total non-CO shaped head. I'm happy to inquire of TV, but just wondering if you already know!

Comment

Round? And the GR8 fits? Isn't it for ovals? Because I always had forehead pressure and a headache before I found them...
                                        I feel like maybe we're in between round and oval But the GR8 definitely tends toward round. In comparison, I got a CO Hampton years ago and it definitely has space in front and behind, to the point where it slides forward or backwards on my head so I don't use it.

The EQ3 is also more round. Mine was one of the very first ones that only had one liner in the box, so TV sent me the second. I have to check which ones they sent me (why don't they label them??) but I fit the helmet with either liner, so I think they may have sent me a second round liner. I don't think either one has the side "pillows" as described in the thread.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                                          I will say I’m a little surprised at how many people have multiple helmets at once. I have always had one helmet at a time, and when it needed to be replaced, I went out and got a new one.
                                          So I have always been this way before too. But the CO helmets were around $300+. I did as an eventer have a Dressage and Show Jump helmet and then my skull cap for xc.

When I started hunting I acquired a true Velvet Hampton.

When the Trauma Void came out I loved them so much and they were much more affordable so I got a non-microfiber to be able to use in inclement weather. Then I got the Brown microfiber and I loved it. Then I saw the blue microfiber and HAD to have that. Last month I got a black microfiber because it would better match my new black coat. This is $1k in and 4 different looks and all of them so much more safe and comfy compared to my previous CO's. I never thought I would be the color coordinating type of person but these helmets are VERY addictive.

ChasseurSauteur

I will send your query along and see what they say.

Em

Comment

Working...
                                          X