Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newby question. Rear shoes a must?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newby question. Rear shoes a must?

    Just bought a sound 17 year old that was formerly a 4'-4'6" jumper. The only reason he is not now is I don't have aspirations that high and will max out at 3'6". I live in an area that gets snow and pull my eventers shoes in the fall after competitions are over. New guy will go out on daily turn out and we may do some competing in the winter but indoors. I am thinking of pulling his rear shoes for better footing when it freezes. Any reason why I couldn't try?
    "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

  • #2
    If his hoof quality looks good then I’d try it out. If you wanted to be thorough you could get X-rays to check sole depth. That’s the biggest tell as to weather they’ll be ouchie.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think I'd consult with your farrier who is now shoeing him. If s/he feels the horse has no need for rear shoes from a support/structure/corrective reason, pull them. The only horse I've had in rear shoes over winter was my Morgan who was in CT and we frequently rode in the deep snow and on paved roads and gravel, etc. that could be hard on bare feet.
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

      Comment


      • #4
        Probably worth a quick note to the old owners who might be able to tell you if they ever pulled his hind shoes. And yes, definitely worth a conversation with your current farrier. I often pull hind shoes (and sometimes fronts too) on my young horses when the show season is over. Most are perfectly fine, some seem happier in shoes. But usually it's not an overt discomfort issue, but more of an "if we jump they feel underpowered" problem...at least in relation to hind shoes.
        __________________________________
        Flying F Sport Horses
        Horses in the NW

        Comment


        • #5
          He”lL become much more likely to pull his front shoes if you pull the back shoes. Better to pull all.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rolltop2013 View Post
            He”lL become much more likely to pull his front shoes if you pull the back shoes. Better to pull all.
            I’ve never heard this. What’s the thought behind it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rolltop2013 View Post
              He”lL become much more likely to pull his front shoes if you pull the back shoes. Better to pull all.
              I've never heard of this in my life.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rolltop2013 View Post
                He”lL become much more likely to pull his front shoes if you pull the back shoes. Better to pull all.
                I'll jump in with everyone else. I have never found that my unshod-behind horses are more likely to pull shoes. I could buy the premise if you were gong the direction of adding hinds to a horse who hadn't had them....if the hind shoes made the horse more comfortable behind and had them using themselves a bit more AND the farrier paid no attention to the change and left a bit more behind the heel up front. But in my experience, going in the direction of pulling the hinds does not impact the likelihood of pulling the fronts at all.
                __________________________________
                Flying F Sport Horses
                Horses in the NW

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to only shoe my horse in the front until we started going on trail rides, she was barefoot fall/winter. I've never heard of that issue either, and never had it in the several years I did it for her.

                  I agree with others about your question though Cindy, ask the farrier their opinion and see what they say. You can always put shoes back on if you find he needs it

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Capall View Post
                    I used to only shoe my horse in the front until we started going on trail rides, she was barefoot fall/winter. I've never heard of that issue either, and never had it in the several years I did it for her.

                    I agree with others about your question though Cindy, ask the farrier their opinion and see what they say. You can always put shoes back on if you find he needs it
                    Well, I will tell you, my farrier (whom I love but still) always thinks the fewer shoes the better because it is the quickest easiest route. My big Holsteiner attempted barefoot last year and the wear pattern on his hooves showed that he at the least needed to be in fronts but it wasn't until I said something and said I wanted shoes back on was it ever suggested. Even though it was obvious. I understand. You want to get in and get done but as an owner, ;sometimes, you have to advocate and point out the obvious so I am wanting to be proactive here.
                    "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How was the PPE? any hind end issues? you may discover he needs them, so if you're willing to go there for an experiment, why not? My TB needed all 4 shoes year round in order to hold his leads behind - obviously a bigger problem underlying that, but a straightforward fix.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CindyCRNA View Post

                        Well, I will tell you, my farrier (whom I love but still) always thinks the fewer shoes the better because it is the quickest easiest route. My big Holsteiner attempted barefoot last year and the wear pattern on his hooves showed that he at the least needed to be in fronts but it wasn't until I said something and said I wanted shoes back on was it ever suggested. Even though it was obvious. I understand. You want to get in and get done but as an owner, ;sometimes, you have to advocate and point out the obvious so I am wanting to be proactive here.
                        Ah. See, I was VERY lucky to have had awesome farriers who would do what was best for the horse. Even though my farrier would have made more $$, he suggested that my horse was fine without shoes in the winter, fronts while just poking around the farm, and then when I told him her feet seemed to be a bit sensitive in the gravel we went through in parking lots at the trails we went to, he recommended all four.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X