Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saddle help for a petite but long legged junior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle help for a petite but long legged junior

My daughter is only 12 years old and stands at 5’2”. But her legs are probably 4 feet long I swear! Her pony is kind of a tricky fit as she’s built a little bit more like a warmblood.

The previous owners were riding in a pony Pessoa. That is what my daughter currently rides in. It fits the pony relatively well. And although it still fits DD in the seat, her knee is now over the forward flap.

Does anybody have a general idea of what will fit like a pony Pessoa but can accommodate the super long leg?

I know CWD doesn’t fit as a previous owners tried that as well. I’m just trying to get a general idea where to start. I know if I call in the saddle fitter for a certain company they’re going to try to convince me to buy their brand when I really want what’s best for the pony and a kid.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

If you're looking to buy a new custom saddle, call a few reps and have your daughter try different models by different companies to see what fits her and the pony best. Even the same with used saddles, reps will ask you a few questions about your daughter's height/weight and then bring used ones they think might fit (in this case, they may have other brands of saddles with them to try). People trade in different saddles when buying new so its not uncommon for reps to have different brands in their trunks.

Don't take cwd out of the running yet, they're custom saddles that can be ordered to fit anyone/any horse. Same goes with other French saddle companies, it'll just come down to what your daughter likes and what fits the pony.

If you are looking to go custom, keep and eye out for junior programs! I known cwd, Antares, and voltaire have them, and I can only assume the other big brands have them as well. They're great programs that allow you to get new saddles at a lower rate as your daughter grows.

Comment

If your daughter is 12 years old and 5'2", she's nowhere near done growing and there are a lot of avenues to try before spending the money on a custom saddle (or a higher end brand.)

You can get more growing time out of a saddle by buying one in the correct basic geometry for your horse and shimming it to fit whichever animal the rider is on at the time, and buying a flat seat saddle without blocks in a seat size half up from what the rider needs. This gives slightly better odds of the saddle fitting the next pony when she outgrows this one next year, and the larger seat gives a longer working center so she can sit back further and give her femur a little more room as she grows.

Beval pony saddles hold their value for years and years, but might not have the flap configuration she needs. The Natural starts at 16" seats IIRC; it is a fairly flat saddle that does a good job at suiting a longer leg. Most of our pony kids are in one Beval or another. I've said this before but I've been very impressed with what Dover has been doing in mimicking the cut of higher-end brands in a reasonably durable saddle that has multiple flap options.
      "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
        If your daughter is 12 years old and 5'2", she's nowhere near done growing and there are a lot of avenues to try before spending the money on a custom saddle (or a higher end brand.)
        I was 5'4" at 12 years old and everyone thought I would be tall like my father. I haven't grown an inch more in 50 years, I'm still 5'4" and I wear the same shoe size I did at 12 years old too. Only my weight has increased.

Comment

Working...
        X