Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shame on Martin Fuchs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shame on Martin Fuchs

For any of you who missed the CP International at Spruce Meadows, Martin Fuchs wonderful horse, Clooney, exhibited some uncertainly approaching the final fence. Fuchs hit him once behind the saddle in the last stride. They had the rail and Martin Fuchs apparently thought he should go to the whip two more times upon moving away from the fence. He may be number #2, but in my opinion, he just earned a double ZERO. Must "sting" to loose out on all that prize money, eh Martin?

Is there something in the water that is making people act like buffoons up at Spruce this year? Yeesh.

On a positive note, way to go Beezie!!! I love her so much!
    Talking to some people is like folding a fitted sheet.

Comment

Well I was there, and honestly I’m not actually sure what you are all seeing because live nothing looked anything like what you are saying! The open water is huge and spooky and you have to ride to it.....some horses did not want to go forward, and you really cannot just “sit there and say oh please go!” Honestly, they have the top judges and stewards in the world, and if rules are broken they WILL be whistled out! (You’ll notice a certain, cough cough, rider from the last big show is conspicuously absent!)
      Breast cancer survivor!

Comment

On the feed I saw what the OP saw. The incident was at the last fence. I was surprised to see the rider hit the horse after the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by sixteenhands View Post
          On the feed I saw what the OP saw. The incident was at the last fence. I was surprised to see the rider hit the horse after the finish line.
          Probably why I didn’t see it...after the finish is a big no, I will assume the steward will of grabbed him at the out gate! (Knowing the one steward that’s there if she saw it, it definitely would be!). It’s always interesting to hang out at the warm up, in/out gate etc....you get to see and hear all the things that are not shown on tv, including the discussions officials will have with riders!
          Breast cancer survivor!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipse View Post
            Well I was there, and honestly I’m not actually sure what you are all seeing because live nothing looked anything like what you are saying! The open water is huge and spooky and you have to ride to it.....some horses did not want to go forward, and you really cannot just “sit there and say oh please go!” Honestly, they have the top judges and stewards in the world, and if rules are broken they WILL be whistled out! (You’ll notice a certain, cough cough, rider from the last big show is conspicuously absent!)
            In some instances, when presented with video the FEI will act retroactively. Not often, but it happens.

You never know, the GJ may have warned him or given a yellow card. Those actions are not immediately apparent to bystanders. Then again, perhaps he didn't break a rule.

I didn't see the competition. Is there a replay available in the U.S.? I'd like to watch the class, not necessarily the ride in question.

Comment

From the CBC footage, it looked like the horse spooked or got distracted on approach to the last fence. He got back on track, but possibly not in time, because the horse tried but flailed a bit through the jump, knocking the rails down. Rider hit the horse twice on the landing. He seemed to realize what he did was wrong, because he regained his composure and then gave the horse some pets. Certainly looked like anger got the better of him in the heat of the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by AffirmedHope View Post

On a positive note, way to go Beezie!!! I love her so much!
                Beezie is a class act! And Darry Lou!! <3 I just love him.

Comment

Having been there and with a pretty good view of the last jump: the horse was definitely backed off, but his reaction was out of proportion and a real disappointment to see from the number 2 rider in the world.
                  Hopefully a steward did something about it, the crowd was certainly aware and not impressed with the lack of horsemanship displayed.

Comment

I didn’t see it.

However, I have been told to give a couple taps to a horse going away from a fence that is backed off before by a BNR. Keep the horse under your leg and moving away from the fence he just climbed through because he spooked. Tap before encouraging. Take behind to keep him going forward and not sucking back.

Generally there is another fence coming and not the finish line in this case, though. This is also usually in practice.

If there was an incident though, I’m sure he was talked to by a steward. They don’t let things go easily at the masters and Spruce is a pretty tight ship.
                    www.thetexasequestrian.com

Comment

No Yellow cards have been given at Spruce Meadows (that are posted ) so far this year.

Official Warnings (2) from Spruce that are posted on the FEI website, as of today, are from 2 and 3 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X