Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Front cover shot
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

New career goal: Working Hunter riding judge in Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New career goal: Working Hunter riding judge in Ireland

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bragging, but I wanted to share this.
    I had the privilege of attending the Dublin Horse Show since I moved to Dublin earlier this year. I've been living in the Netherlands, so I was very excited to see hunters at horse shows again. I did not expect to find my new career goal, however!

I was thrilled to see very natural fences and the horses carrying more pace than American hunters. It was more like a hunter derby (without the height options).

I absolutely loved the hack. It is not run as a separate class. It was shorter than hacks in the US, though at the end of one of the classes, they galloped down the long side one at a time.

At the end, they all line up and the riding judge spends a few minutes hacking each horse. That 'rideability' portion counts for 20% of their overall score (if I recall correctly). I want to become a riding judge so badly! I would have given my right arm (and probably my left as well) to have the chance to ride those incredible horses.

I am slightly confused by the use of the word 'hack' in the above post. Can anyone kindly make sure that I haven't misunderstood?

I am from the UK (for clarity).

Here a 'hack' is a body type of show horse. A small, elegant riding horse of lightweight build (photo attached).
    To 'hack' means riding your horse out and about (video attached), so the equivalent of trail ride (I believe) but normally with more roadwork (unless you are lucky enough to live near a bridleway network that doesn't require going on the roads).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Bxxhe7r_A

So does a 'hack' mean a short ridden show, going through your horse's paces in an arena in America?

Gleesbid - it is great to read that you enjoyed the Working Hunter classes. They are one of my favourites to watch too. I hope that you achieve your goal of becoming a ride judge. If you are able to pop over to England in the autumn I highly recommend going to Horse of the Year Show (HOYS). https://hoys.co.uk/

Attached Files

Comment

In the US, the hack is the under saddle class within the division. Typically 4 classes over fences and 1 under saddle aka "hack"
      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, my apologies, I meant the under saddle class. Thanks for clarifying, DMK!

I'm glad I've not gotten too out of touch with common terminology while my show clothes have gotten dusty.
        Much like having to learn Dutch and then 'horse' Dutch, I met a gentleman whose son rides race horses. That's a whole new language for me as well (other than 'Thoroughbred,' since they were my first hunters back in the 80s and 90s!).

I appreciate the kind words and advice, Kaspercat. I've been to the Royal Windsor a few years back, but definitely have to HOYS. It's an easier trip over now than it used to be! I feel very lucky.

Comment

We have some “Hunter Hacks” that aren’t just WTC but actually include additional tests and a line of 2 fences. Typically seen at non-rated shows - but sounds a tad like what you experienced where the horses move over fences then might be tested under saddle as a second half of the class - might have to show a hand gallop, halt and back, etc. the true “fox hunter” tests of old!

Comment

There are direct flights, on budget and other airlines, from Dublin to Birmingham where HOYS is held. You could probably do flight, show, flight in a day.
            "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Working...
            X