Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

koi pond
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Confused about junior hunter division

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Confused about junior hunter division

    Back in the old days, there were small juniors and large juniors. Smalls were under 16.0. Everybody jumped 3'6".

    Now it seems to be all different. Smalls are now 16.0 or under, I think? And there's a 3'3" height now? I'm so confused. Someone please educate me.

  • #2
    They changed the height break a few years ago, I believe. There's a 3'3" jr division and a regular jr division, which is 3'6". If entries allow, they are split by rider age, horse height, or both.

    Comment


    • #3
      From USEF https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/n7tE...r-competitions
      HJ132 Junior Hunter Sections
      1. “A” Rated 3’6” Junior Hunter Sections. At least two sections must be offered in the prize list (large/small or older/ younger). See GR312.6 for number of required classes and prize money. At Premier rated competitions, four 3’6” Junior Hunter sections must be offered in the prize list (large younger, large older, small younger, small older).
      2. “A” Rated 3’3” Junior Hunter Sections. Junior Hunter 3’3” may not be offered unless Junior Hunter 3’6” is also offered. (Exception: USHJA Zone Championship competitions) See GR312.6 for number of required classes and prize money. If offered at least two sections are required to be listed in the prize list.

      3'3" division was added in 2014. There are still small/large/older/younger sections. Smalls are over 14.2 hands and not to exceed 15 hands 2 1/2 inches.

      Comment


      • #4
        Divisions at Junior Hunter Finals:
        Small Junior Hunter 3’3” 15 & Under
        Small Junior Hunter 3’3” 16-17
        Large Junior Hunter 3’3” 15 & Under
        Large Junior Hunter 3’3” 16-17
        Small Junior Hunter 3’6” 15 & Under
        Small Junior Hunter 3’6” 16-17
        Large Junior Hunter 3’6” 15 & Under
        Large Junior Hunter 3’6” 16-17

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by eswarmbloods View Post
          Divisions at Junior Hunter Finals:
          Small Junior Hunter 3’3” 15 & Under
          Small Junior Hunter 3’3” 16-17
          Large Junior Hunter 3’3” 15 & Under
          Large Junior Hunter 3’3” 16-17
          Small Junior Hunter 3’6” 15 & Under
          Small Junior Hunter 3’6” 16-17
          Large Junior Hunter 3’6” 15 & Under
          Large Junior Hunter 3’6” 16-17
          Yup. Junior hunters are now split 8 ways. To make it extra confusing, they get combined in various ways at normal horse shows as most sections don’t fill on their own. IMO it makes winning a lot less of an accomplishment, but it does prevent the 13 year olds from showing against the 17 year olds and gives the nice 15.3hh horses a chance to carry a bit more pace without being compared to bigger horses that lope the lines.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rockonxox View Post
            From USEF https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/n7tE...r-competitions
            HJ132 Junior Hunter Sections
            1. “A” Rated 3’6” Junior Hunter Sections. At least two sections must be offered in the prize list (large/small or older/ younger). See GR312.6 for number of required classes and prize money. At Premier rated competitions, four 3’6” Junior Hunter sections must be offered in the prize list (large younger, large older, small younger, small older).
            2. “A” Rated 3’3” Junior Hunter Sections. Junior Hunter 3’3” may not be offered unless Junior Hunter 3’6” is also offered. (Exception: USHJA Zone Championship competitions) See GR312.6 for number of required classes and prize money. If offered at least two sections are required to be listed in the prize list.

            3'3" division was added in 2014. There are still small/large/older/younger sections. Smalls are over 14.2 hands and not to exceed 15 hands 2 1/2 inches.
            You’re thinking of the Smalls that jump 3ft. Small Jrs go up to 16 hands. Nothing has changed there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LovesHorses View Post

              You’re thinking of the Smalls that jump 3ft. Small Jrs go up to 16 hands. Nothing has changed there.
              Actually....

              I believe there was a change within the last few years in that 16 hands on the dot used to be one size, and now it’s the other size. But I don’t remember off the top of my head which direction it changed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MHM View Post

                Actually....

                I believe there was a change within the last few years in that 16 hands on the dot used to be one size, and now it’s the other size. But I don’t remember off the top of my head which direction it changed.
                That is correct, it used to be UNDER 16 h was a small junior now you can BE 16.0 and still be a small junior.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mayaty02 View Post

                  That is correct, it used to be UNDER 16 h was a small junior now you can BE 16.0 and still be a small junior.
                  This is correct! We have a 16.0 on the dot small

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hm. I got that straight from the USEF site so... maybe they need to update their rules!

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by OnDeck View Post

                      Yup. Junior hunters are now split 8 ways. To make it extra confusing, they get combined in various ways at normal horse shows as most sections don’t fill on their own. IMO it makes winning a lot less of an accomplishment, but it does prevent the 13 year olds from showing against the 17 year olds and gives the nice 15.3hh horses a chance to carry a bit more pace without being compared to bigger horses that lope the lines.
                      Lord amighty.....split 8 ways?! I don't think I've ever been to a show with enough junior hunter entries to fill 8 divisions!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gertie06 View Post

                        Lord amighty.....split 8 ways?! I don't think I've ever been to a show with enough junior hunter entries to fill 8 divisions!
                        They are usually combined, but if there are enough entries they do split. At the big shows and championships, those are the splits.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Back in the (good?) old days, there were 70 junior hunters regularly at Devon-level shows. Small, large, old, young. All jumping 3'6". Next they started splitting classes with over 40(?) entries. Odd and even numbers.There used to be outside courses and one-stride in and outs, too. There were also 30-40 large (13.0-14.2) ponies doing outside courses and in and outs at 3'. I don't know if that was better, but it was certainly an accomplishment to win a ribbon of any color.
                          madeline
                          * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X