Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peggy View Post
    If you wanted an understanding of how a sexual predator works and avoids getting into trouble, I highly recommend the podcast Believed about Larry Nassar.
    https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510326/believed

It was recommended upthread, or maybe on the RG thread, and I’ve listened to four episodes. One of his victims was six when it started and I think that was roughly twenty years ago.

But it I don’t think I’ll ever think about PowerPoint quite the same way ever again.
    Second this. Thank you to whomever first mentioned this upthread. I’m only 4 episodes in as well & it is outstanding. Highly recommend (if you can stomach it- lots of disturbing info).

Comment

• Originally posted by Crashing Boar View Post

This will not be a popular stand here, but I agree with the above post. What we are talking about is equal to sitting in judgment in 1950 (many of you were around in 1950!) on events from 1899. THAT is how far removed we are now from that distant day and its entire social context. If you would like to read, in depth, about the cultural background in which these alleged event(s) took place, please read this article straight through to the end: https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the...f-gay-culture/ First-hand historical detail about Studio 54 and more with emphasis on how free-wheeling it all was at that time and why that is equally unimaginable today.

The law may arbitrarily place the age of consent today at 16, 18, 21, the way things are trending it may soon hit 26! That is actually an historical anomaly; in just about all early cultures, women were considered marriageable post-puberty, and the Bar Mitzvah or equivalent for young men happened at 13 for a reason. Sexually mature older teens are not physically or mentally the same as "children," and I think repeatedly branding GHM a "pedophile" right now is out of line; totally different levels of agency there. Rife speculation and gossip aside, until either SafeSport or someone else comes forward with the specifics of this allegation, WE DON'T KNOW what the issue was with GHM or when it took place. "Misconduct" could be an inappropriate relationship because it involved both age difference and power disparity, but that is neither the definition of rape nor pedophilia. And anyone paying attention knows #metoo is very much a moving target that erupted extremely recently. Many things are now considered "abuse," just like in riding itself, that 50 years ago very few even thought about. We also know people can be wrongly accused; that's why "Thou shalt not bear false witness" is one of those Commandments that could use dusting off.

It's a sad fact of human nature that when dealing with sports legends, music stars, movie luminaries, or the rich and powerful who can make or break others' rarefied dream careers, the "casting couch" is a lure. There are just as many young people (even their parents!) who think the ends justify the means to reach "the top" and bask in the limelight of that fame and fortune as there are "stars" whose human weakness or sense of entitlement takes advantage of it. If we were to memory-hole the work of every actor, model, musician, sportsman or even writer who exchanged sex for preferment, there honestly wouldn't be much left to watch on TV. We seem to be in a strange, post-religious cultural moment where we elevate ordinary, flawed, weak humans as "gods," and anoint them with perfection, then a few years later take great delight in ripping them down like wolves from the very pedestals we put them on to begin with.

As the participants in this thread have thinned out after 90+ pages, it's quite noticeable that a majority of the remaining claim personal childhood abuse. Without in any way diminishing the experience of ANY victim, it must also be noted that such would be automatically excluded from jury selection in a case like this because any objectivity is impossible.

I. Can’t. Even. 😂😂😂🤣😅🤪

Comment

• Originally posted by poltroon View Post

That's not in USEF's court; it's SafeSport. And their position is that people are given a lifetime ban because they were found to be abusive and dangerous and cannot be trusted with athletes.
        USEF is the one who posted a PSA that holding a clinic is aiding and abetting, so it is possibly with them. It SafeSport is giving them this guidance, same applies.

They will be much safer from an antitrust challenge if they lose what they have said about the aiding and abetting aspect of clinics. Given the broad nature of the language used, I would think a trainer arranging GM clinics, not approved by USEF, would be OK but the guidance doesn’t say that. It says clinics in general.

In this sense, PV and his ilk have more freedom to teach and clinic than GM. That is a vulnerable spot for the case. Affecting competition is important. Affecting a single competitor, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post

i do think that if SadeSport runs afoul of the Sherman Act, this aiding and abetting aspect is what is going to do it. It makes it possible to argue a broader affect on competition, as opposed to only an effect on a single competitor. That is key.
          If someone brings a case, would the whole thing get thrown out, or just this part?
          You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Obviously, and goes without saying. My hope is that when it all comes out in the wash, the finding will be that GHM's relationship was with someone of the age of consent, who consented. I honestly don't think the man is STUPID enough to have raped a 13-year old. Just because someone was a live-in student, it does not automatically follow that he was being predated at age 13 by George. My hope is that he was 16 plus. I make no apologies whatsoever for pedophilia.

A reminder: As of now no one but SS knows and they aren't saying.

What I DO know is that on FB and IRL an impressive list of horse pros of stature have put their names (and therefore reputations and businesses) on the line coming out in public defense of George. People who've known him personally all their lives and worked alongside him all the way back to that time, vs.concern trolls who have no connection whatsoever.
            To me, that speaks volumes, and drove my insufficient attempt to provide a more balanced perspective here.
            It is difficult to believe that it takes 18 months to determine whether the age of the reporter was over or under 16 at the time of the incident.
            When you’re riding a horse, you don’t pick a fight unless you’re pretty sure you’re going to win the argument. For the usual confidentiality reasons, I don’t know what evidence SsgeSport has. However, this early in their life, when they still need to create a track record of legitimacy, they would need to be absolute morons to pick a fight with GM unless they were 99% sure they could withstand an appeal. They are only required to prove their case by a preponderance of the evidence, but I’m guessing that they can clear the preponderance bar like a Grand Prix jumper clearing a cavaletti. I don’t think they’re morons.

Re all the well known trainers showing their support for GM publicly: it’s not as public as it could be. ISWG, SafeSport The honest conversations, and SafeSport Overhaul are all closed groups. If you proudly SWG and want to shout it from the rooftops, wouldn’t you make the group public? What is the point of an echo chamber in which a large group of people pre-certified as GM supporters swap posts about what a travesty his ban is? If you truly SWG, wouldn’t you want to attempt to persuade those who don’t SWG, or the undecided, to your side? I think the ISWG group is closed in part because they need to maintain a certain level of willful ignorance in order to support GM and continue to cast SafeSport as the villain, and they don’t want anybody putting a damper on their self-righteous rage by bringing in any nasty facts.

Comment

This will not be a popular stand here, but I agree with the above post. What we are talking about is equal to sitting in judgment in 1950 (many of you were around in 1950!) on events from 1899. THAT is how far removed we are now from that distant day and its entire social context. If you would like to read, in depth, about the cultural background in which these alleged event(s) took place, please read this article straight through to the end: https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the...f-gay-culture/ First-hand historical detail about Studio 54 and more with emphasis on how free-wheeling it all was at that time and why that is equally unimaginable today.
              Wait, because it was a free wheeling time, it was okay to bang children????

As the participants in this thread have thinned out after 90+ pages, it's quite noticeable that a majority of the remaining claim personal childhood abuse. Without in any way diminishing the experience of ANY victim, it must also be noted that such would be automatically excluded from jury selection in a case like this because any objectivity is impossible.
              I also dodged the child abuse bullet, so no. I keep posting because even after the raft, no Ocean Liner!, of explanation on how Safe Sport works, people like you STILL don't get

1. He knew who his accusers were
              2. He was afforded due process
              3. You can't bang children. Even 50 years ago.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

If someone brings a case, would the whole thing get thrown out, or just this part?
                A case needs to affect competition to lodge a viable Sherman Act claim. At this point it is premature to make predictions as to whether a party could do so as to pass a motion to dismiss or for summary judgment. Maybe. Maybe not. But if it doesn’t, the whole thing would the thrown out. Keep in mind this is a dynamic area of law and I can’t accurately read the tea leaves. I do think it isn’t a frivolous claim. Beyond that, the facts and procedure of SafeSport and the skill of the attorneys all play a huge part.

Comment

• Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
                  Kate Vosbury wrote a letter to editor of the horse of Delaware Valley.
                  Link - http://thehorseofdelawarevalley.com/...-to-the-editor
                  The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

USEF is the one who posted a PSA that holding a clinic is aiding and abetting, so it is possibly with them. It SafeSport is giving them this guidance, same applies.
                    Does anyone have a link to this PSA? I somehow missed it.

Comment

The law may arbitrarily place the age of consent today at 16, 18, 21, the way things are trending it may soon hit 26! That is actually an historical anomaly; in just about all early cultures, women were considered marriageable post-puberty, and the Bar Mitzvah or equivalent for young men happened at 13 for a reason. Sexually mature older teens are not physically or mentally the same as "children," and I think repeatedly branding GHM a "pedophile" right now is out of line; totally different levels of agency there. Rife speculation and gossip aside, until either SafeSport or someone else comes forward with the specifics of this allegation, WE DON'T KNOW what the issue was with GHM or when it took place. "Misconduct" could be an inappropriate relationship because it involved both age difference and power disparity, but that is neither the definition of rape nor pedophilia. And anyone paying attention knows #metoo is very much a moving target that erupted extremely recently. Many things are now considered "abuse," just like in riding itself, that 50 years ago very few even thought about. We also know people can be wrongly accused; that's why "Thou shalt not bear false witness" is one of those Commandments that could use dusting off.

With the bill passing extending the Statute of Limitations for sexual abuse, it will be interesting to see if any victims file a civil suit against GM. If abused as a minor, the victim now has until their 55th birthday (or seven years from the time they become aware of the injury, whichever is later) to file a civil suit.

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/vide...-abuse-claims/

And FYI, there is NO statute of limitations for criminal cases of sexual assault in New Jersey

Comment

• And the response by Sara is as unprofessional as the original story. She still does not understand how SafeSport works and continues to state the the accused does not know who reported (wrong), that they are unable to defend themselves (wrong). Some people refuse to believe that GM and the other banned individuals were well aware of the situation long before they are banned for life.

Comment

They will be much safer from an antitrust challenge if they lose what they have said about the aiding and abetting aspect of clinics. Given the broad nature of the language used, I would think a trainer arranging GM clinics, not approved by USEF, would be OK but the guidance doesn’t say that. It says clinics in general.

In this sense, PV and his ilk have more freedom to teach and clinic than GM. That is a vulnerable spot for the case. Affecting competition is important. Affecting a single competitor, no.
                          USEF has no leeway in this. It is baked into the SafeSport law and code. All the NGBs are obligated.

Whether or not it holds up in court, it will be SafeSport's to litigate. See Page 15.

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/wp-...yperlinked.pdf

E. Aiding and Abetting
                          Aiding and Abetting is any act taken with the purpose of facilitating, promoting, or encouraging the commission of Prohibited Conduct by a Participant. Aiding and Abetting also includes, without limitation, knowingly:

1. Allowing any person who has been identified as suspended or otherwise ineligible by the Center to be in any way associated with or employed by an organization affiliated with or holding itself out as affiliated with an NGB, LAO, the USOC or the Olympic Movements;

2. Allowing any person who has been identified as suspended or otherwise ineligible by the Center to coach or instruct Participants;

3. Allowing any person who has been identified as ineligible by the Center to have ownership interest in a facility, an organization, or its related entities, if that facility/organization/related entity is affiliated with or holds itself out as affiliated with an NGB, LAO, USOC or the Olympic Movements.

4. Providing any coaching-related advice or service to an Athlete who has been identified as suspended or otherwise ineligible by the Center.

5. Allowing any person to violate the terms of their suspension or any other sanctions imposed by the Center.

In addition, a Participant also violates the Code if someone acts on behalf of the Participant to engage in Aiding or Abetting, or if the guardian, family member, or Advisor of a Participant, including Minor Participants, engages in Aiding or Abetting.
                          (As to who they'd go after, I imagine they'd be starting with letters of reprimand and their actions would probably be contextual. The old friend who goes and rides a horse with a suspended person in the vicinity is probably not going to get the same treatment as someone who hosts an equitation clinic for juniors. They're busy folk, alas. But they might go after an elite figure skating athlete, say, who made known he was training with BNT, and was encouraging others to do so. However, insurance companies may put the kibosh on all of it of their own accord.)

It is meant, explicitly, to end the influence of big name coaches who are found to have created dangerous conditions for athletes. People like Don Peters, who also helped win a lot of (gymnastics) Olympic medals. BNTs that a lot of people would justify training with. The intent is super clear.

You can't hire a doctor for your practice or hospital who loses a license, either.

I enjoy the lawyer talk but I'm a little surprised at this particular line you're taking.

If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Originally posted by HoolieB View Post

Believe me, I am embarrassed about how I let the celebrity of GM affect my perception.
                            Yes, but you took a good look at the facts and changed your opinion accordingly. That's what reasonable people *do*.
                            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Figure Skating is having a tough week too. This is a direct civil suit instead of a SafeSport action. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/s...ual-abuse.html

Adam Schmidt, 34, a former skating student of Mr. Callaghan’s, filed a lawsuit in San Diego saying that Mr. Callaghan had repeatedly abused him from 1999 to 2001, beginning when Mr. Schmidt was 14 years old. Mr. Schmidt became the fourth male skater to have publicly accused Mr. Callaghan of improper behavior during a period from the early 1990s to the early 2000s.

Also named as defendants were U.S. Figure Skating, the sport’s national governing body, and a skating facility in suburban Detroit where Mr. Callaghan taught Mr. Schmidt.

Mr. Callaghan, 73, is best known for coaching Tara Lipinski to a gold medal at the 1998 Winter Olympics and coaching Todd Eldredge to a world championship, six United States titles and three Olympic appearances.
                              The stories are so similar. And you can read about the 1999 allegations that caused Lipinski to move to another coach, linked in that article.
                              https://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/11/s...?module=inline

''For whatever reasons I don't understand, people love me or hate me,'' Callaghan said. ''I have no clue why. In almost 30 years, I've taught about 500 kids. I don't understand this. The allegations are awful. I can't believe I worked my butt off for kids to be successful in skating to be better people and this stuff happens.''
                              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Obviously, and goes without saying. My hope is that when it all comes out in the wash, the finding will be that GHM's relationship was with someone of the age of consent, who consented. I honestly don't think the man is STUPID enough to have raped a 13-year old. Just because someone was a live-in student, it does not automatically follow that he was being predated at age 13 by George. My hope is that he was 16 plus. I make no apologies whatsoever for pedophilia.

What I DO know is that on FB and IRL an impressive list of horse pros of stature have put their names (and therefore reputations and businesses) on the line coming out in public defense of George. People who've known him personally all their lives and worked alongside him all the way back to that time, vs.concern trolls who have no connection whatsoever.
                                To me, that speaks volumes, and drove my insufficient attempt to provide a more balanced perspective here.
                                😱😳😂
                                Not stupid. Narcissistic. Personality. Disorder.
                                Wait and see. There are many names missing too. Those who stood by RG were wrong.
                                Actually, there are others who know parts of the truth outside of Safesport. Those who spoke to Safesport. There are a number of us on here with first hand experience with Safesport and who personally know people who were involved in the GM investigation.
                                Feel free to keep drinking the Kool Aid.

Comment

• Can any of you lawyers weigh in on the verbiage of this petition please? Are they essentially asking for Safe Sport to be in civil court as opposed to what it is now? Wasn't the whole point of SS to keep these people from being eligible to compete or coach even if they did were not eligible to be tried for whatever reason?

https://www.change.org/p/donald-j-tr...se_react=false
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• In the link to the letter to the editor above, you can see an ad for an upcoming GM clinic. I guess he can keep teaching clinics outside of USEF?

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post

"F" George Morris. At this point the allegations have been investigated. He doesn't deserve to automatically be given the benefit of even more doubt. I am going to stand with the people who were strong enough to insist that they be heard. At last. Those are my people. They are my tribe.
                                      Sheilah
                                      Yassssss! I'd like to personally thank everyone in this thread that shared their experiences. I have cried multiple times reading through this thread because it brings all of those feelings right back to hear someone else's pain.... even all these years later. You are my tribe. I'll stand with you, and all the others that have lived through the horrific mental anguish the abuse causes, and all those that have known someone else that has been through something and had the courage to stand with them.

For those who are ignorant and making excuses for why someone should be allowed to peacefully go about the rest of their lives after wrecking the life of a child..... "F" you too. Thank your lucky stars you were never sexually abused, because I guarantee if you were, you wouldn't be talking about sweeping abuse under the rug, you wouldn't be using your cute little air quotes when you talk about #metoo or abuse, and you wouldn't just casually post your insensitive, uneducated, willfully ignorant BS on a forum full of people that have experienced that kind of abuse. You'd know sleepless nights, you'd know waking up in a cold sweat thinking you can still smell an abuser's cologne, and you'd probably shed more than a few tears every time you read about one of these trusted figures being found out, yes decades later. Think about it. Do you think he abused one kid and then stopped for the next 50 years? God only knows how many may eventually come forward. God only knows how many may take the lifelong suffering to their graves.

Comment

• I honestly think that SS knew what they were stepping into when they investigated GM. They probably knew that they had to have a 100% SOLID case in going after the biggest name in the world for horse sports. They did not take this likely. They did not just hear a rumor from 50 years ago and say "Oh wow, he was naughty! Let's BAN this guy!" And anyone who thinks that needs to wake up and smell the poo that has been stinking in the horse world for MANY years. They are all sounding like a bunch of rabid, uneducated wankers.

Jonathan Soresi also knew what he was stepping into. He knows his conviction, and he knows that a lot of people would question his motives and veracity due to his conviction. I feel bad for him that his life has been so screwed up, and that he ended up this way. I do not in any way condone him having kiddie porn, I think it is atrocious (look! I used that word again!) But I also think that his life has gone so awry because he was abused. I believe him. I think it was incredibly brave of him to come forward and try and take down his abuser who is world-renowned and beloved. Again, do not take what I am saying as defending JS for the things that were found on his computer.

Comment

WRONG. George knows. The victims/accusers know.

A more balanced perspective? Mmmmmkay. #eyerollworthyofanexasperateded14yearold

Most of the people who have defended him - those "horse pros of stature" that you are starry-eyed about... have heard all the whispers and rumors and tsk-tsks over the years... and some know they are true. What I DO know is that I have heard them - and I am a Nobody. I even sat in the exhibitors bar at Spruce Meadows and heard the "horse pros of stature" at the next table sharing such a story about GM. Many have just refused to (as you have) actually bother looking at the SafeSport procedure and are falling all over themselves to raise an indignant hue and cry and not piss GM off. Many of those voices will go quiet as the initial phase of WTF eases off... and reality sets in.
                                          Last edited by smoofox; Aug. 14, 2019, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X