Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crashing Boar View Post

This will not be a popular stand here, but I agree with the above post. What we are talking about is equal to sitting in judgment in 1950 (many of you were around in 1950!) on events from 1899. THAT is how far removed we are now from that distant day and its entire social context. If you would like to read, in depth, about the cultural background in which these alleged event(s) took place, please read this article straight through to the end: https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the...f-gay-culture/ First-hand historical detail about Studio 54 and more with emphasis on how free-wheeling it all was at that time and why that is equally unimaginable today.

The law may arbitrarily place the age of consent today at 16, 18, 21, the way things are trending it may soon hit 26! That is actually an historical anomaly; in just about all early cultures, women were considered marriageable post-puberty, and the Bar Mitzvah or equivalent for young men happened at 13 for a reason. Sexually mature older teens are not physically or mentally the same as "children," and I think repeatedly branding GHM a "pedophile" right now is out of line; totally different levels of agency there. Rife speculation and gossip aside, until either SafeSport or someone else comes forward with the specifics of this allegation, WE DON'T KNOW what the issue was with GHM or when it took place. "Misconduct" could be an inappropriate relationship because it involved both age difference and power disparity, but that is neither the definition of rape nor pedophilia. And anyone paying attention knows #metoo is very much a moving target that erupted extremely recently. Many things are now considered "abuse," just like in riding itself, that 50 years ago very few even thought about. We also know people can be wrongly accused; that's why "Thou shalt not bear false witness" is one of those Commandments that could use dusting off.

It's a sad fact of human nature that when dealing with sports legends, music stars, movie luminaries, or the rich and powerful who can make or break others' rarefied dream careers, the "casting couch" is a lure. There are just as many young people (even their parents!) who think the ends justify the means to reach "the top" and bask in the limelight of that fame and fortune as there are "stars" whose human weakness or sense of entitlement takes advantage of it. If we were to memory-hole the work of every actor, model, musician, sportsman or even writer who exchanged sex for preferment, there honestly wouldn't be much left to watch on TV. We seem to be in a strange, post-religious cultural moment where we elevate ordinary, flawed, weak humans as "gods," and anoint them with perfection, then a few years later take great delight in ripping them down like wolves from the very pedestals we put them on to begin with.

As the participants in this thread have thinned out after 90+ pages, it's quite noticeable that a majority of the remaining claim personal childhood abuse. Without in any way diminishing the experience of ANY victim, it must also be noted that such would be automatically excluded from jury selection in a case like this because any objectivity is impossible.
    I don’t usually bother to reply to post like this, but I will make an exception here. And for the record, I could serve on any jury on the subject. That is my great good fortune.

Go to any USEF horse show right now. Today, tomorrow, next week. Any show you like. Go to the pony ring. Look on the schedule, and watch the medium pony hunter division show. According to the current USEF rules, any rider in the regular medium pony division must have a maximum show age of 14. Depending on when the birthday falls on the calendar, some of them actually could be 15, and still have a show age of 14. You watch that medium pony division, and tell me that any kid in that class could be considered old enough to be in a relationship with an adult. I don’t care which kid it is, I don’t care what the laws are in that state, I don’t care about any extenuating circumstances.

You watch the medium pony division, and tell me which of those pony kids is old enough to be in that kind of a relationship with an adult. This year, last year, next year, a hundred years ago, a hundred years from now.

Which kid on a medium pony?

Go ahead. I’ll wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by HoolieB View Post

Believe me, I am embarrassed about how I let the celebrity of GM affect my perception.
      sorry hoolie, my comment was for the person above you who fired being on a team as being indicative of intelligence or morality. (I know that wasn't intended vhm, but for the peanut gallery it's important to remind everyone)
      Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

This will not be a popular stand here, but I agree with the above post. What we are talking about is equal to sitting in judgment in 1950 (many of you were around in 1950!) on events from 1899. THAT is how far removed we are now from that distant day and its entire social context. If you would like to read, in depth, about the cultural background in which these alleged event(s) took place, please read this article straight through to the end: https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the...f-gay-culture/ First-hand historical detail about Studio 54 and more with emphasis on how free-wheeling it all was at that time and why that is equally unimaginable today.

The law may arbitrarily place the age of consent today at 16, 18, 21, the way things are trending it may soon hit 26! That is actually an historical anomaly; in just about all early cultures, women were considered marriageable post-puberty, and the Bar Mitzvah or equivalent for young men happened at 13 for a reason. Sexually mature older teens are not physically or mentally the same as "children," and I think repeatedly branding GHM a "pedophile" right now is out of line; totally different levels of agency there. Rife speculation and gossip aside, until either SafeSport or someone else comes forward with the specifics of this allegation, WE DON'T KNOW what the issue was with GHM or when it took place. "Misconduct" could be an inappropriate relationship because it involved both age difference and power disparity, but that is neither the definition of rape nor pedophilia. And anyone paying attention knows #metoo is very much a moving target that erupted extremely recently. Many things are now considered "abuse," just like in riding itself, that 50 years ago very few even thought about. We also know people can be wrongly accused; that's why "Thou shalt not bear false witness" is one of those Commandments that could use dusting off.

It's a sad fact of human nature that when dealing with sports legends, music stars, movie luminaries, or the rich and powerful who can make or break others' rarefied dream careers, the "casting couch" is a lure. There are just as many young people (even their parents!) who think the ends justify the means to reach "the top" and bask in the limelight of that fame and fortune as there are "stars" whose human weakness or sense of entitlement takes advantage of it. If we were to memory-hole the work of every actor, model, musician, sportsman or even writer who exchanged sex for preferment, there honestly wouldn't be much left to watch on TV. We seem to be in a strange, post-religious cultural moment where we elevate ordinary, flawed, weak humans as "gods," and anoint them with perfection, then a few years later take great delight in ripping them down like wolves from the very pedestals we put them on to begin with.

As the participants in this thread have thinned out after 90+ pages, it's quite noticeable that a majority of the remaining claim personal childhood abuse. Without in any way diminishing the experience of ANY victim, it must also be noted that such would be automatically excluded from jury selection in a case like this because any objectivity is impossible.

yeah dude, just cause it's probably you. shocker.

Comment

• That petition is hilarious. And clearly not one person has actually read the safe sport rules and procedures. It's really hilariously shameful legit stupid so many people in our sport are. this has gone well beyond ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peggy View Post

Link - https://www.change.org/p/donald-j-tr...l-usef-members

It was started by Sherry Pace.

An excerpt from the petition:
            “Below is a bullet point list of the constitutional issues that need to be addressed:

1. The right to know the charges and your accuser/accusers.
            2. The right to counsel.
            3.The concept of timely,civil proceedure .
            4.The acknowledgement of statute of limitations.
            5.The distinction of felony and misdemeanor of charges.

In addition the process needs to be more in line with other organizations that have to handle similar situations.”

I believe that #1 and the sentence after the first list are incorrect. 🤦🏼*♀️
            I thought this was a spectacularly badly written petition. I’m pretty sure the respondent knows the charge and the identity of the accuser and has right to counsel; not clear what 3 means; would be nice to spell procedure correctly; not sure what what is meant by 5.

I suppose they want SafeSport to have a statute of limitations.

Comment

• Originally posted by MHM View Post

I don’t usually bother to reply to post like this, but I will make an exception here. And for the record, I could serve on any jury on the subject. That is my great good fortune.

Go to any USEF horse show right now. Today, tomorrow, next week. Any show you like. Go to the pony ring. Look on the schedule, and watch the medium pony hunter division show. According to the current USEF rules, any rider in the regular medium pony division must have a maximum show age of 14. Depending on when the birthday falls on the calendar, a few of them actually could be 15, and still have a show age of 14. You watch that medium pony division, and tell me that any kid in that class could be considered old enough to be in a relationship with an adult. I don’t care which kid it is, I don’t care what the laws are in that state, I don’t care about any extenuating circumstances.

You watch the medium pony division, and tell me which of those pony kids is old enough to be in that kind of a relationship with an adult. This year, last year, next year, a hundred years ago, a hundred years from now.

Go ahead. I’ll wait.
              Obviously, and goes without saying. My hope is that when it all comes out in the wash, the finding will be that GHM's relationship was with someone of the age of consent, who consented. I honestly don't think the man is STUPID enough to have raped a 13-year old. Just because someone was a live-in student, it does not automatically follow that he was being predated at age 13 by George. My hope is that he was 16 plus. I make no apologies whatsoever for pedophilia.

A reminder: As of now no one but SS knows and they aren't saying.

What I DO know is that on FB and IRL an impressive list of horse pros of stature have put their names (and therefore reputations and businesses) on the line coming out in public defense of George. People who've known him personally all their lives and worked alongside him all the way back to that time, vs.concern trolls who have no connection whatsoever.
              To me, that speaks volumes, and drove my insufficient attempt to provide a more balanced perspective here.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDuchess View Post

I suppose they want SafeSport to have a statute of limitations.
                No they want it to just go away so they can have their rapists and pedos to worship. Awesome. great folks.

Comment

• Anyone one here read the allegations against Placido Domingo? They are basically about the Casting Couch.

Crashing Boar, whether or not the culture was different 50 years ago, or whether or not society's views on sexual maturity in people were different, or whether or not homosexuality was legal or not legal, using a position of power over someone's future--whether directly or by grooming-- to obtain sexual access is extortion. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

Comment

• Originally posted by HoolieB View Post
                    Frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

I admit that early on I thought due process was completely disregarded by SS and that suspensions and permanent ineligibility were assigned upon accusations being made. I questioned SS and its flagrant abuse of power. When GM was affected, I thought it went too far. So I got myself to the forum here and looked forward to reading like-minded posts. Heh.

At first I was confused and put off by the more, er, passionate posts defending SS and the process. I mean, GM was the Grand Poobah of all things hunter/jumper. (For reference, I do fancy-prancing. Badly.) How could H/J folks not be up in arms about this injustice, this ancient and spurious charge of hedonistic behavior? So I kept reading here. And a funny thing happened: I got educated on SS and the process. I was reminded that abuse of power in the form of sexual abuse and the damage inflicted on victims has no expiration date. No longer can I put my head in the sand and think SS sanctions are a result of so-called witch hunts. In short, I am deeply embarrassed at my first reaction to the GM sanctions.

Thank you to everyone here who took the time to present facts. It made a difference.
                    Respect

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                    William Shakespeare

Comment

• Don’t flame me for this because I am just playing the devil’s advocate here....

I’m talking all professions, the coaches of any sport, the Harvey Weinstein’s, the professors, the CEO’s, the Bill Cosby’s, the priests, etal., if it isn’t for this, then what is in it for them?

I know they are not all pedophiles, but I would bet my bottom dollar that they are all narcissists, and what good is power if it doesn’t reward you with the sexual experience you want?

Comment

• I am still reading this thread even though I was never abused. I am reading it because I keep looking for the right words to help people I previously respected understand safesport and the process being undertaken. It seems though, that HoolieB is in the minority and most seem entrenched in believing whatever they want to believe about Safesport's processes, and are unwilling/unable to be swayed by facts. Although I would rather educate, I have instead decided to distance myself from such people.

I am awaiting Jay Duke's interview with Safesport though. He seems to be trying to undermine the Safesport process by sharing other people's posts without actually stepping up and voicing his own opinion. I thought he did the interview yesterday?

I am very curious what will happen when a similar process is in place in Canada for 2020. I image they are taking note of the current state of affairs.
                        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• @ Crashing Boar Are you actually claiming that your post provided "a more balanced perspective"??? Srsly???

Comment

Obviously, and goes without saying. My hope is that when it all comes out in the wash, the finding will be that GHM's relationship was with someone of the age of consent, who consented. .
                            You seem to refuse to understand the facts of the situation. I don't understand how you can willfully disregard the things you have been told repeatedly and keep holding onto that same old bunk that "no one knows what really happened" because it already has come out in the wash.

SS conducted an 18 month-2 year investigation. They talked to multiple victims, some whose interactions with GM were much more recent than the '70s. They talked to GM. They talked to the witnesses that GM identified and wanted them to talk to. They spent months collecting evidence. Trained investigators, such as former FBI agents with experience in sex crimes, ran the investigation.

The final sanction, a lifetime ban, was handed down only after this exhaustive investigation was completed. The ban is not the beginning step of the investigation, it's the final step.

Sure, GM can appeal this via the arbitration process, but, contrary to what you and others seem bent on believing, the full investigation has already been completed. We already know that more than one of GM's "relationships" were not with individuals "of the age of consent, who consented." We know this because, after an 18 month-2 year investigation, SS concluded that GM had committed sexual misconduct involving a minor.

The capacity of humans for self-delusion is always amazing to me.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                            that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

• Catherine Haddad posted a link to this article. It is well written and thoughtful.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post

I do think that if SadeSport runs afoul of the Sherman Act, this aiding and abetting aspect is what is going to do it.
                                I'll agree with you on this one.

As for tying that came up, no USEF isn't engaged in tying. I may have to pay an administrative fee and/or not get all of the benefits of membership if I show without being a member, but I can show without being a member. I can also coach, give clinics, and a bunch of other things. There are also non-USEF affiliated shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by h0rsel0ver View Post
                                  Catherine Haddad posted a link to this article. It is well written and thoughtful.
                                  Glad that she did! (it's also been posted here several times, but definitely worth reposting and noting who hasn't lost their damn mind)

Comment

• On the subject of the Canadians' reaction, I happened to see this article by Nancy Jaffer in Horse Canada. I have no idea how influential a site this is, but I know she is a well-known writer. If the comments below are representative, the remarks seem painfully familiar. https://horse-canada.com/due-south/s...safesport-ban/

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                                      On the subject of the Canadians' reaction, I happened to see this article by Nancy Jaffer in Horse Canada. I have no idea how influential a site this is, but I know she is a well-known writer. If the comments below are representative, the remarks seem painfully familiar. https://horse-canada.com/due-south/s...safesport-ban/
                                      dude, now we have to fight the Canadians too?! ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

You seem to refuse to understand the facts of the situation. I don't understand how you can willfully disregard the things you have been told repeatedly and keep holding onto that same old bunk that "no one knows what really happened" because it already has come out in the wash.

SS conducted an 18 month-2 year investigation. They talked to multiple victims, some whose interactions with GM were much more recent than the '70s. They talked to GM. They talked to the witnesses that GM identified and wanted them to talk to. They spent months collecting evidence. Trained investigators, such as former FBI agents with experience in sex crimes, ran the investigation.

The final sanction, a lifetime ban, was handed down only after this exhaustive investigation was completed. The ban is not the beginning step of the investigation, it's the final step.

Sure, GM can appeal this via the arbitration process, but, contrary to what you and others seem bent on believing, the full investigation has already been completed. We already know that more than one of GM's "relationships" were not with individuals "of the age of consent, who consented." We know this because, after an 18 month-2 year investigation, SS concluded that GM had committed sexual misconduct involving a minor.

The capacity of humans for self-delusion is always amazing to me.
                                        Spoken with authority.

Crashing Boar Could you please refute this post, in point form? Rather than repeating your same position every few pages?

Despite your unnecessary dig regarding posters here who have experienced abuse, and whose stories are only a tiny fraction of the informed and educated contributions on this thread by the way, I'm interested in your rebuttal of NoSuchPerson's argument.
                                        One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                                        William Shakespeare

Comment

Obviously, and goes without saying. My hope is that when it all comes out in the wash, the finding will be that GHM's relationship was with someone of the age of consent, who consented. I honestly don't think the man is STUPID enough to have raped a 13-year old. Just because someone was a live-in student, it does not automatically follow that he was being predated at age 13 by George. My hope is that he was 16 plus. I make no apologies whatsoever for pedophilia.
                                          GM says that it's about events from 1968-1972. I don't think SafeSport agrees but for the moment let's go with that.
                                          Jonathan Soresi was 13 years old in 1968. So either the first problematic events happened when Soresi was 13 or there is more than one active claimant. You can't really escape that conclusion.

A reminder: As of now no one but SS knows and they aren't saying.
                                          So true. But people like you insisting that the evidence can't possibly exist or even if it does, how can it matter 50 years later, are causing people like me to dig up, recall, and repeat these inconvenient facts that explain in detail that it does matter, that it's unlikely that the SafeSport investigators walked into this buzzsaw on a whim and without solid evidence, and it's making more people speak out about the things they know and put the pieces together.

What I DO know is that on FB and IRL an impressive list of horse pros of stature have put their names (and therefore reputations and businesses) on the line coming out in public defense of George. People who've known him personally all their lives and worked alongside him all the way back to that time, vs.concern trolls who have no connection whatsoever.
                                          To me, that speaks volumes, and drove my insufficient attempt to provide a more balanced perspective here.
                                          I am sad for them, and for us. They did it for Rob Gage too, only to learn that another prominent person was among his survivors, that she was quite young, and had a compelling story, as well as that there were quite a few other girls involved. I unfortunately and quite sadly believe that the same will happen here. I don't think the investigators would have turned in this report if they weren't extremely certain of their facts.
                                          If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Working...
                                          X