Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does not the Sherman Act only prohibit the "unreasonable" restraint of trade?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan Hart View Post
      I am Michael Hart’s brother and have been expecting this day to come since I first read MidgeToo’s post on May 16, 2009 over on The Manure Pile. It was a post of a PM sent to MidgeToo by someone going by the name ‘abcdefghi’ that mentioned Michael as one of GM’s victims. It was long post I won’t share unless people want to read what I am referring to. In 2013 I made an angry reply as I just wanted my brother left out of the conversation. As everyone knows, he passed away in 1995 so I saw no reason to bring him into this 34 years after his time at Hunterdon and 14 years after his passing.

This is is what bothers me most. Everyone knew about GM back then yet no one said or did anything about it. Now an 81 year old man is having his life’s work and legacy eradicated in some “Me Too” moment and, in the case of my family, getting calls from the New York Times and others asking us questions about our dead brother and his relationship with an accused pedophile.

SafeSport exists to prevent future abuse and misconduct, which I fully support, but I don’t know the case against GM furthers their mission. From my chair I see it ruining reputations, opening old wounds of families and victims, dividing the community, and harming the sport.

There is much more I could add but I’ve said enough. For the readers who knew my brother, you know
      I am so sorry for your loss and for what your family is going through.

Jonathon, the biggest value to George Morris being banned is that it shows that no one is above scrutiny. He is the biggest name in this sport has been revered, even worshipped, for decades, and now has been investigated and banned.

This WILL help deter future abuse. In the past, if someone got to a certain level they had immunity and could do as they pleased with no repercussions regardless of the harm they caused.

That time is over. Even the "god" of h/j is not above investigation. Even if gm is past his prime abusing years, the message has been sent that there is no level high enough to avoid investigation and public announcement of the ban.

Comment

• Originally posted by bip View Post
        For those worried that this doesn’t prevent future abuse, think of the kids in abusive situations now who have been thinking, “No one will believe me”. This should give them hope that no matter how powerful the trainer, if they are abusing kids, SafeSport will investigate and ban.
        Perfectly said, and key to this whole endeavor.

Sure, shining the spotlight on historic abusers and applying modern sanctions finally gets them off the playground and that's vital, but the critical message being relayed to kids by SafeSport now is, we got you -
        Last edited by ohmyheck; Aug. 11, 2019, 02:03 PM. Reason: sp
        One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
        William Shakespeare

Comment

• Originally posted by boosma47 View Post
          SS standards are not the same as the rule of law yet yield tremendous power over those accused. This issue came up with the Gage case and holds true for this and all others. GHM has been accused, judged and sentenced without a trial, without being afforded the right to confront his accuser. This is basic to our system of justice, yet SS seems to have created its own system with the power to ban, ruin, isolate those accused based on unproven allegations. If one has a credible case, bring it before a judge and jury. Don't hide behind the skirts of SS.
          As a retired law professional, this bothers me, too. Any "verdict" is suspect when the arbitrator is not held to the same standard or rule of law as a court would be. People defending this SS process would do well to review history, particularly with regard to the McCarthy era. It raises all sorts of alarm bells for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDuchess View Post

That is partly my point; SafeSport does not apply their “AOC is 18 even if in your state the AOC it is 16” retroactively. So if SafeSport is going after him for something in 1968 (Soresi) it would be because the victim was under 16.
            This is a lightbulb moment for me, thanks for spelling that out! It clears up and puts to bed all of those rebuttals and back and forths about 'age of the teenager in question' throughout these conversations.
            One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
            William Shakespeare

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Fish View Post

As a retired law professional, this bothers me, too. Any "verdict" is suspect when the arbitrator is not held to the same standard or rule of law as a court would be. People defending this SS process would do well to review history, particularly with regard to the McCarthy era. It raises all sorts of alarm bells for me.
              Oh brother, are we still mired in these thoroughly debunked ideas about SS?

Comment

Really? As a former law professional, surely you know lawyers can be disbarred without being held to the same rule of law as a court, right? Doctors can lose their license to practice medicine based on the same 'preponderance of evidence' that GM faced.
                You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• is it properly an "appeal", which would be a very unusual procedure for arbitration, or is a a de novo fact finding, which is what most arbitrators do. I know that in the Caster Semenya process before CAS, it was a full blown fact finding hearing.

As someone who was once an arbitrator long ago, I can tell you that arbitration does not necessarily follow the same evidentiary rules as the court system. But in general arbitrators are not selected from a random group of people, even professional people; there are very different arbitrator selection processes, depending on the context of the governing "law", i.e contracts, labor contracts, or special laws requiring arbitration like Safe Sport.. The procedure that arbitrators use is established by the governing system that gives them jurisdiction, which they must stay within.

It isn't a free wheeling situation at all.
                  Last edited by vineyridge; Aug. 11, 2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Well, what I know about law can fit into a thimble, so I recognize your knowledge far outweighs mine. But from my coursework in education law, I also understand that an organization can be found negligent if there is a preponderance of evidence that an individual is causing harm to members of the organization, yet they fail to take action.

So...
                    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• The ONLY person who damaged George H. Morris’ legacy is George H. Morris. If he wanted to be remembered only for his superlative equestrian skills, he shouldn’t have also been an abuser.

Comment

• Was wondering. Is McLain Ward one of the ISWG signatories? I've stayed far away from them online.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDuchess View Post

That is partly my point; SafeSport does not apply their “AOC is 18 even if in your state the AOC it is 16” retroactively. So if SafeSport is going after him for something in 1968 (Soresi) it would be because the victim was under 16.
                          Same sex intercourse wasn’t de-criminalized nationwide until rather recently - Look at FL, wasn’t decriminalized until 2003!

I hope they update their retroactive enforcements for instances of sexual abuse. Pedophiles don’t change their habits. Grown men with high schoolers is never acceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                            fordtraktor while I see your argument I don’t think it’s going to fly. There are several banned for life trainers that still have a thriving business. Living proof that a ban by Safe Sport will not meet the three prong test of its sanctions violating the Sherman Act.
                            I'm skeptical about the persuasive value of anecdotal evidence along the lines of "Look! BNT X was banned for life and people are still sending their horses to train with him and going to his private clinics!"

As far as I can tell, the people you are referencing were already famous and highly regarded before they were banned. They got there BECAUSE they had years of access to USEF and FEI shows, with all the press coverage, published results, networking, and reputation-building that goes with it. Without that access, they never would have made it.

Show me a no-name young trainer who gets banned and still manages to achieve financial and reputational success in the h/j world at a serious level. I think it's highly unlikely to happen, because few parents or horse-owners will send their kid or young hunter/jumper to a trainer who can't take them to any recognized shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

I'm skeptical about the persuasive value of anecdotal evidence along the lines of "Look! BNT X was banned for life and people are still sending their horses to train with him and going to his private clinics!"

As far as I can tell, the people you are referencing were already famous and highly regarded before they were banned. They got there BECAUSE they had years of access to USEF and FEI shows, with all the press coverage, published results, networking, and reputation-building that goes with it. Without that access, they never would have made it.

Show me a no-name young trainer who gets banned and still manages to achieve financial and reputational success in the h/j world at a serious level. I think it's highly unlikely to happen, because few parents or horse-owners will send their kid or young hunter/jumper to a trainer who can't take them to any recognized shows.
                              I hear your point that repercussions my ultimately be very different for a "legend" versus a "normal" person. But regardless, many SafeSport banned individuals still seem to be making a living.

For example, Tom Navarro, while locally successful, certainly isn't a household name in the sport.

He was found permanently ineligible through SafeSport. At one time, it said "subject to appeal." That has since been removed, leading me to believe the appeal process is complete.

His farm website still touts him as trainer/owner/manager. It still lists big name sponsors such as Stubben and SmartPak. He is allegedly still active on local show circuits.

If you google the others on the SafeSport sanctions list, you will find active websites advertising horse services for quite a few of them. Several of the others are in jail or were in jail at one time, which I imagine did far more damage to their business than their SafeSport ban.

The unfortunate truth is that most people are oblivious to SafeSport, whether they are new to the sport or just inactive with USEF. They don't think, "let me google this riding stable and make sure it's not operated by a sexual predator." Also, even if you did learn of such a ban, you may not know how to process said information, especially when the person seems nice, has hundreds of five star reviews, and a large portion of the equestrian community vocally dismisses the validity of SafeSport.
                              Last edited by Texarkana; Aug. 11, 2019, 05:05 PM. Reason: Typo
                              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Originally posted by fargaloo View Post
                                The ONLY person who damaged George H. Morris’ legacy is George H. Morris. If he wanted to be remembered only for his superlative equestrian skills, he shouldn’t have also been an abuser.
                                He shouldn't have gotten his book published either if all he wanted was to be remembered for his superlative equestrian skills.

All this raises so many questions about his psychology and history which will never be answered.

Comment

• Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                  Was wondering. Is McLain Ward one of the ISWG signatories? I've stayed far away from them online.
                                  Not that I've seen. I joined just to see what people were saying. What amazes me is how many people who have never met GM are completly certain of his innocense.
                                  Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                  EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• It was really bothering me, the comments people made regarding “ why didn’t the accuser come forward 51 yrs ago”.

So... I took some time to really put myself in this 13 yrs olds shoes. THIS IS Not an actual story..... but something to think about....

Imagine being a 13 yr old kid from a small town, with a love of horses & wanting to be competitive. Your basically a nobody at this point.... until the moment you get noticed at a GM clinic.
                                    All of a sudden... you become a local “ hero” in a sense.
                                    The other kids at your barn are thinking “Wow! If he got scouted by someone big... so could I! It gave other local kids a sense of hope.
                                    Everyone is talking about it... it’s big news. The feed store, the local shows, the tack shop. “ did you hear...Jonny is going to hunterdon to live!” People are stopping your parents in the grocery store, asking about the exciting rumors of Olympic trainers. Your extended family, cousins, Grandparents, etc have all heard the news are everyone is equally excited.

You arrive at hunterdon & everyone is shaking your hand & excited to meet the new kid that “ George has talked so much about”. Your awestruck by the barn, horses, big atmosphere.
                                    George can be mean & intimidating, but all is going well. George is calling your parents Periodically and keeping them “ in the loop about your studies & riding”. He’s telling them about new horses that are coming for you to show.

You Head to your first show. You’ve called your parents & your mom is so excited for you. In fact, her & Dad are coming to watch you! She also tells you that everyone at your old barn, says “ hi”.

At the show, people you don’t know, are talking to you, saying things like, “ your so lucky to be riding with George “.
                                    “ so, your George’s new student, he thinks so highly of you”.

You go to dinner the first night at the show. Your with George & other big trainers & very wealthy clients. You quietly listen to their amazing stories of importing horses & winning.

That night George drives you back to the barn alone......you are doing night check. It’s dark, there is no one around. Then .......... your frozen in fear, your afraid to move, you are 13 , your heart is pounding, your mind is racing. You are terrified. Then HE says, “ Don’t EVER mention what just happened. NO One will ever believe you, anyway !”.

You are silent in the car as He takes you back to the hotel. You Go into your room. The other 2 grooms are already asleep. Your scared, feeling helpless, scared, dirty, afraid, Alone. You quietly slip into bed & cry .

In the morning... your still terrified... who do you tell? Should you tell? When should you tell? The grooms are rushing to get to the show... your body is moving, my mind is shut down. At the show you ride your morning list & as your riding you try to figure out a plan. Meanwhile people are riding up to you & talking. “ your lucky you get to ride this horse, he so nice”. “ what an amazing opportunity you have with George “. You are feeling sick to your stomach.

At this point... your class is about to start & George shows up as if nothing happened. He coaches you and as you walk out of the class...with your blue ribbon, you notice your parents. They are soooo excited to see you & that you won!
                                    George comes over & shakes their hands & tells them what a great kid you are & how helpful you are & also that he has a few new horses arriving at the barn for you. They thank George Immensely For all he’s done for you.

So, now.....in your mind. If you tell them what happened last night. What will happen? Will they believe you? Will you have to go to a police station? Will cops show up to arrest George at the show? will the cops believe him or you? If they do arrest him.. will his clients be mad, cause now they don’t have their trainer? Will everyone at the show be upset? Rumors will fly. People will start talking, you will be labeled. Your parents will be disappointed. All the people from your hometown will wonder why your back home so soon. Then they will hear what happened.... people will talk.

Basically.... in a 13 yr old mind. Nothing good would come out of telling anyone. So, the secret had to be kept. The silence Of the secret had to be kept inside to slowly eat way at you. And the pain of it physically happening over & over.

Perhaps once, you even call your mom & tell her your home sick & need a break. That you want to come home. Maybe she tells you, “. You’ll be find, be tough, it’s normal for you to be homesick, you’ll get over it. You make us proud “.

You feel trapped. Drugs & alcohol come into play as you get older.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

I see your point but I also think about people like Sswor who weigh losing their livelihood over speaking out. So my sympathies and I hope any future court ruling would side with the people speaking out over those who commit these atrocities. And sorry one should not be able be a pro working with kids if they commit such crimes.

Comment

Question - did you actually bother to read up on the SS procedures and long investigations - or did you just go with the frenzied cries of GM is an innocent lamb whose rights were stripped away based on allegations of one little teeny tiny incident 50 years ago? And that this all came about at the last minute based on fables and lies and whatever? Not true. This has been a long and careful investigation... that GM was made aware of along the way.

One of GM's action figures was donated to our therapeutic riding center - push the button and he delivers some minor insults and riding tips. I joked that we should make him Himself On The Shelf and was met with instant backlash from some about my lack of reverence for this "god".

Reverence? I have heard him berate and sneer at riders at his yearly clinic (did not happen the past year...hmmmm ) at the neighboring farm for a few years now. Is it necessary to carry on like that? To call people names? To insult and bully? Why does the riding wisdom have to be coated in layers of drek like that? It doesn't. He just liked/likes doing it.

Comment

As per SS documentation both on their web site and the USEF has published: The accuser (GM) is notified of the accusation and investigation after SS investigators determine they is enough to move forward with investigation. So- for 1.5 years, according to the article, he has known the accusations etc.
                                          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                          X