Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

EREP-2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aristokat View Post

Are you able to clarify the difference between "criminal disposition - involving a minor" and "sexual misconduct involving a minor"?
    Criminal disposition means that the sanction is based directly on a criminal court conviction or plea. IE, SafeSport did not investigate the case and the person is ineligible directly because of the court record.

"sexual misconduct involving a minor" means that SafeSport investigated and made the finding. It could be that it involves cases outside the statute of limitations, it could be that a conviction was not obtained, or it could be that evidence was available to them that could not be used in a criminal trial - for example, sometimes witnesses are unavailable to participate in the trial, or evidence is excluded because of how it was obtained (like recording a phone call without consent or warrant). FiSk123 has shared some of those situations.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Originally posted by punchy View Post

The fact that prominent people in this industry seriously think they can influence the NYT's editor fills me with renewed appreciation that people in this industry have such a misplaced sense of self importance and absolutely no knowledge or understanding of the world beyond their little private barns and their little fancy horse shows and the highways that run between the two.
      Oh my, you have just perfectly summed up a certain subset of the horse industry that drives me absolutely insane. Bravo.
      "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu
      Semantics

Comment

• The comments on Sarah Maslin Nir's page are astounding. There are no words for this:
        "In America, libel and slander resulting in defamation due to a false accusation of a crime, which is what your article is, are punishable. How hard is it for gay men of any age yet alone gay men of that time? And you defame one? Truly sick and deplorable. Who is next? Recovering addicts? Alcoholics? Who next will you defile with lies and clickbait?? Everyone falls down. We all make mistakes."

followed by this:
        "How can any writer not consider Oscar Wilde when faced with a piece such of this? How can they not put themselves in the shoes of a young man in 1960 grappling with his sexuality."

So this supporter is suggesting that the entire situation is because a man in his 30s was grappling with his sexuality and consequently sexually molested young boys because he was lonely and needed help finding himself? And that it was just a mistake of the kind we all make???
        "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by poltroon View Post

In this case, the main public allegation seems to involve a 30 year old male having sex with a 13 year old male who was his student and under his care, and for four years. I mean, damn AHSA/USEF for not explicitly writing in the 1968 rule book that you couldn't do that. How could he have known?
          Where is the "public allegation" of sex with a 13 year old? The NYT only referred to 16 year olds and a "teenager." Given that the age of consent was 16, that is what has led to the discussion of what happens if the conduct was legal at the time.

I agree, 13 year olds are a different story, but how are you certain that is the allegation behind the sanction?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alterforme View Post
            If in fact, he is proven guilty. Would the victims ( or family) be able to sue him for pain & suffering? I think about the 2 victims from the NYT article & how their lives have been rocky, well, one is even deceased. Heartbreaking.
            Almost certainly barred by the statute of limitations. While the criminal statutes of limitations for sex abuse have been extended substantially, that is much less true for civil sols. Most of them require action within a few years of the victim becoming an adult.

Comment

• As I said when Robert Dover opened his mouth, there is going to be a real intersectional crisis here where good people thinking they're defending a gay man against bigots, not a sexual predator targeting children against real and justifiable ire.
              Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

Where is the "public allegation" of sex with a 13 year old? The NYT only referred to 16 year olds and a "teenager." Given that the age of consent was 16, that is what has led to the discussion of what happens if the conduct was legal at the time.

I agree, 13 year olds are a different story, but how are you certain that is the allegation behind the sanction?

It doesn't matter, 13 or 16. Safe Sport defines a minor as anyone under the age of 18. Age of consent isn't relevant.

Comment

If your argument is about the legality of the activity when it occurred, then the age of the partner in this case is irrelevant. New Jersey did not repeal its anti-sodomy laws until 1978.
                  Semantics

Comment

• Originally posted by 2bayboys View Post

If your argument is about the legality of the activity when it occurred, then the age of the partner in this case is irrelevant. New Jersey did not repeal its anti-sodomy laws until 1978.
                    Now we're going in circles. My assumption was that Safesport will not want to premise any action on laws that were clearly homophobic. It would be like basing an action on violations of Jim Crow laws that were in effect at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by poltroon View Post

Once again, I'm just struck by how hard people will work for these justifications. I've experienced it myself.

For example: "Show me where it says in the rules I can't call another member incessantly on the phone and show up on their doorstep after I've been asked to stop." No, I didn't feel the need to explicitly state that in the rules for my online forum.

This is why the rules get more bureaucratic and exacting every year. "How the heck was I supposed to know defrauding an insurance company for paying someone to murder my horse and make it look like an accident would be against the rules?" Or, if you like, "How was I to know you would catch me for administering Reserpine to my show horses?"
                      This is why college syllabi get longer and longer.

"But it didn't *say* I couldn't hand in a lab report identical (down to the misspelling) to my roomie's!"
                      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• @ Cat Tap
                        Is it possible that not everyone was a "victim". perhaps some were willing partners and did not feel abused?
                        Re Conrad:
                        I didn't say that I thought Conrad was a "victim" or speculate whether he thought he was a victim or not. I have absolutely no idea what Conrad thinks about his personal experience with GM. He was, however, a junior during his time at Hunterdon.

I meant exactly what I said - that if he was contacted by investigators he may well have been advised not to make ANY statement.

Comment

The age is a pretty educated guess based on a few of publicly available facts:

1. The first complainant, Jonathan Soresi, has publicly identified himself.
                          2. He is identified as being 63 in the NYTimes article, meaning he was born in 1955 or 1956
                          3. In his own public statement, GHM said the initial Safe Sport complaint was for incidents that occurred between 1968 and 1972. Jonathan was 12/13 in 1968.

There's also the number of people who know that Jonathan arrived at George's farm at 13. There may also be non-public information that's firmer than that calculation, but I find the math to be pretty solid.
                          Last edited by 541hunter; Aug. 9, 2019, 06:59 PM. Reason: fixed a couple words to make it clearer

Comment

• Originally posted by BLBGP View Post

Did the horse actually flip?
                            I know the girl in the story fell off, and I believe the horse flipped but I'd have to look at the passage again. MST wrote her own account of the same story that was included as well. I'll check when I get home.

Comment

Now we're going in circles. My assumption was that Safesport will not want to premise any action on laws that were clearly homophobic. It would be like basing an action on violations of Jim Crow laws that were in effect at the time.
                              My point is....saying that the sexual activity was not illegal at the time is just a distraction from the obvious.

At no time in our sport was it correct, appropriate, or in the best interests of the young people involved for an adult trainer/coach/employer to have a sexual relationship with a non-adult student/client/employee. It was not OK. Period.
                              Semantics

Comment

• Why not drag Kenneth Kraus into this as well? Does the horse show world just not care about kids? I stopped showing h/j over 10 years ago and am amazed that he remained announcing and taking pictures.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...-what-is-wrong
                                "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiramit View Post
                                  The comments on Sarah Maslin Nir's page are astounding. There are no words for this:
                                  "In America, libel and slander resulting in defamation due to a false accusation of a crime, which is what your article is, are punishable. How hard is it for gay men of any age yet alone gay men of that time? And you defame one? Truly sick and deplorable. Who is next? Recovering addicts? Alcoholics? Who next will you defile with lies and clickbait?? Everyone falls down. We all make mistakes."

followed by this:
                                  "How can any writer not consider Oscar Wilde when faced with a piece such of this? How can they not put themselves in the shoes of a young man in 1960 grappling with his sexuality."

So this supporter is suggesting that the entire situation is because a man in his 30s was grappling with his sexuality and consequently sexually molested young boys because he was lonely and needed help finding himself? And that it was just a mistake of the kind we all make???

Depressing that GM supporters wilfully keep throwing the gender of the abuser and the abused into their commentary to try and bolster their argument. It's a repugnant distraction tactic that's not gonna fly today.

Completely irrelevant what was legal or not back then in terms of sexual orientation. Kids were abused, end of story. The pathetic attempts to explain away why it happened are hard to read.
                                  One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                                  William Shakespeare

Comment

• @ Tiramit I realise this is not your opinion and that you're quoting some idiot's comment on Sarah Maslin Nir's FB page with this line:

"How can any writer not consider Oscar Wilde when faced with a piece such of this?
                                    I really had to laugh. Poor Oscar absolutely didn't deserve what happened to him; it was a terrible tragedy, but I just thought I should point out that he was, y'know, guilty. If there's any lesson to be learned from Oscar Wilde's case, it's that suing someone for libel when you actually did what they accused you of is very poor judgement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiramit View Post
                                      The comments on Sarah Maslin Nir's page are astounding. There are no words for this:

followed by this:

Unreal. So these people have tons of sympathy for the grown man grappling with his sexuality... but care not at all for the teenage boys who were USED by this man. What about the boys’ sexuality? They were just beginning to figure out this part of their own identity... they had a right to have age appropriate experiences, and take things slowly and work through their own feelings and identity in a way that was not harmful to them emotionally. But this selfish selfish adult man cynically used them for personal gratification. And now his supporters are using societal issues with respect to tolerance of homosexuality to justify it.

ladyj79 - you called it. It makes me FURIOUS though personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom View Post

ladyj79 - you called it. It makes me FURIOUS though personally.
                                        Same, it's wildly irresponsible and wrong headed and actually forwards the evil bigot narrative that gay=pedophile and gays are out to abuse and convert kids.
                                        Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by flofleming View Post
                                          I asked this on the new Facebook group, but I’ll try here as well. Has Conrad spoken up? If not, his silence is deafening. He was the right age, right look, right time period. How was his stay with George? As an Olympic medalist, he needs to have the strength of little Simone Biles and say something, one way or the other.
                                          You have no right to mention someone's name who may or may not have been a victim. You have no sense of propriety!
                                          Shame on you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X