Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

EREP-2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post

Agreed.
    But part of that is understanding and acknowledging that many who witnessed thing, just the atmosphere or more than that, were oftentimes just young kids at the time. Kids in these situations can often, beyond their immaturity, quickly normalize what to mature outsiders is troubling at best.

Certainly those who were young due to their actual age, or immature due to other factors (sheltered, coming from a broken home, etc) need to cut themselves some slack. That g-you didn't make a stink isn't your fault if you'd entered this environment at 13, 15,... or a bit younger or older.

Even if kids in his sphere were not abused in the literal sense, they were likely groomed into accepting, normalizing what was going on around them. Including the perfect example of how GM spoke to and about students. There's a whole thread here about it for gosh sakes, that many adults laughed off and poo-poo'd.... If adults didn't speak up, it's not hard to understand why kids at the time, or as they grew up also didn't say anything, and perhaps thought nothing of it. "That's how he is" was a repeated comment... theme, accepted explanation.

Its how this kind of abuse happens and is perpetuated. Because kids are powerless, naive, and picked for their specific vulnerabilities. None of that, and none of this is on those who experienced this as kids.
    I was speaking of the role adults played. My trainers lauded him in the same moment of brushing aside abuse talk. "That's just George". I remember overhearing young riders discussing how their Moms would share their Valium, if they need it for the clinic. Ah the 80s. This was the only ripple ever heard from juniors. This was where I stepped away and went to a different discipline.

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Procrastinate NOW
    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post

I don't believe child molesters are a protected class.
      Yeah, that's not the argument. I'm going to let this go because the potential legal arguments (about due process; notice of prohibited conduct when conduct was legal at the time it occurred; statutes of limitations etc.) are complex, and I honestly don't know how they will turn out.

Some day challenges to SafeSport will be raised in civil court, and we will all see how they turn out. I don't know whether GM will be the person to raise those challenges or not. He is not the plaintiff any attorney would want, that's for sure!

And yes, we all want child molesters removed from sport. SS needs to have its ducks in a row to make sure its decisions will be upheld.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGurk View Post
        HLMom,

Yes, the OJ Simpson tactic of dedicating himself to finding the real killers.
        Ha ha, exactly!

Comment

• Originally posted by FiSk123 View Post

SS can not investigate deceased individuals. IIRC Jimmy Williams was banned by the USEF.
          Yes, that was the point of the post I quoted. That yes, they could, and they did. I already knew the answer.

This was the whole post.

Originally posted by specifiedcupcake View Post

The Bernie info definitely piqued my interest.... But like. If he "goes down" as part of the fallout from someone's investigation.... they can probably still ban him from USEF anyway? Like you don't have to be an active member to be told "actually you can't be a member." Be another interesting question to pose to SS.
          Originally posted by snaffle1987 View Post

I believe they can. They listed Jimmy Williams even though he was deceased

Comment

• Originally posted by aristokat View Post

Yes, that was the point of the post I quoted. That yes, they could, and they did. I already knew the answer.
            My apologies - I was speed reading the most recent pages and I missed your original point

Comment

• Originally posted by Farhills123 View Post
              He will absolutely fight it. He HAS been fighting it for the last 2 years. He will make it about a constitutional violation of some kind. His legacy is very important to him and he is a fighter. It isn’t in his nature to just go gently into the good night.
              This is what interests me. If there was a constitutional violation of some kind, I would have thought we would already have heard about expensive lawyers representing people in other sports, trying to prove just that. (I have googled around and can't find much - though google isn't infallible of course.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Farhills123 View Post
                He will absolutely fight it. He HAS been fighting it for the last 2 years. He will make it about a constitutional violation of some kind. His legacy is very important to him and he is a fighter. It isn’t in his nature to just go gently into the good night.
                His legacy can't be that important to him given what he wrote about himself and how he has conducted himself over the years.

Our sport will be dealing with his damage for years. He needs to take responsibility for his actions, and quietly fade away.

Comment

• Originally posted by HLMom View Post
                  This is for folks who are interested in the legal questions surrounding USEF/SS. It is not a defense of GM, nor is it a critique of SS's mission.

People keep saying "USEF is a private club. It can do whatever it wants." I am skeptical that courts would treat it as a private club. See the article below. Now, the fact that courts might treat USEF as NOT being a private club is only the first question. The next question is, what legal obligations (in addition to non-discrimination) would flow from this determination?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124588111858449559

Some golf courses, country clubs and social groups long have discriminated against certain types of people, usually women and minorities. Private organizations sometimes presume that they can exclude whomever they want, no questions asked.

And in one sense, they are right. Ironically, the more selective a club is, the more it is considered to be truly private and thus protected against antidiscrimination laws. In other words, a small, all-male group of stamp collectors who meet in a private home aren't unlawfully discriminating by not accepting women.

But clubs that presume they are private frequently turn out not to be in the eyes of the law in some states.

"Over the last 20 years, societal pressures have led to a steady narrowing of what qualifies as a private organization, free from antidiscrimination laws," says Robert Duston, a Washington attorney who specializes in defending discrimination cases.

Take the Mill River Club Inc., a country club in Oyster Bay, N.Y., that considers itself private. Marc Wenger, the club's attorney, says Mill River is selective in choosing members, picking them partially on the basis of religion with the stated goal of achieving a balance of Jews and Christians.

Club member Joseph Pezza filed a complaint against the club in 2002, claiming the religious-diversity policy embarrassed him because "it puts unnecessary labels on people," according to court testimony.

Earlier this year, a New York court ruled that the club wasn't actually "private," and that its religious quota system violated state law.

The court based its decision on evidence that included the fact that nonmembers took tennis lessons and attended social events at the club. The court also noted that the club has more than 100 members -- a factor that is relevant under New York state law in deciding whether a group is a "place of public accommodation."
                  My Father in Law was instrumental in founding Mill River
                  Go, Baby, Go......
                  Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Comment

• @FairHills123

He will absolutely fight it. He HAS been fighting it for the last 2 years.
                    I absolutely agree that he will fight it. But what's that about the last 2 years part? I'm way out of the USEF loop and don't know what's been going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by pds View Post

His legacy can't be that important to him given what he wrote about himself and how he has conducted himself over the years.

He needs to take responsibility for his actions, and quietly fade away.
                      This is a narcissist behavior or everyone has been saying he is a god for so long he actually believes it.
                      Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by pds View Post

Our sport will be dealing with his damage for years. He needs to take responsibility for his actions, and quietly fade away.
                        Oh no, he's proud of much of that because it demonstrates that he was sexually and professionally desirable and too big to fail, as they say.
                        Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post

So here is the difference.

Jumpers = Olympic sport
                          Jumpers = USEF or FEI which have some sort of shared banned thing? (please chime in)
                          USEF= must comply with SS 2017 law enacted by Congress

So it isn't as much it is a club. It is a organization that funnels teams/members to the Olympics. The law of 2017 says USEF must comply with SS.
                          Exactly. Clubs, organizations, etc have no legal authority and cannot put people in jail. But they can make up their own rules and kick voluntary members out if the member violates the rules. Every time you sign the entry blank you are agreeing to abide by the rules.

There are many riders who are not USEF members. I grew up in MD and now live in VA and there are lots of local show circuits that are not USEF affilated/governed and many trainers and barns who regularly do these circuits. One circuit was so popular that adults rode on one day of the weekend and juniors another, and adults got finished around 5 PM, juniors at 8 PM, and the ring steward kept things humming right along. There is nothing preventing George Morris from setting up shop with local circuits.

And he's worried about his reputation? After proudly claiming in his autobiography to have sex with 10,000 people and counting, and giving reserpine to a horse and having a positive test and suspension while on the Drugs and Medication Committee? Puhleeese.
                          "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Originally posted by HLMom View Post

Yeah, that's not the argument. I'm going to let this go because the potential legal arguments (about due process; notice of prohibited conduct when conduct was legal at the time it occurred; statutes of limitations etc.) are complex, and I honestly don't know how they will turn out.

Some day challenges to SafeSport will be raised in civil court, and we will all see how they turn out. I don't know whether GM will be the person to raise those challenges or not. He is not the plaintiff any attorney would want, that's for sure!

And yes, we all want child molesters removed from sport. SS needs to have its ducks in a row to make sure its decisions will be upheld.
                            I kinda think the fact that people can and will challenge Safe Sport rulings in civil court is a good thing. It's a layer of protection that exists outside of the internal process which lots of people complaining seem to conveniently forget. Safe Sport lays out very clearly in the Code that no party in any complaint process is waiving their right to a case in court, civil or criminal. If you have truly been wronged in the Safe Sport sanctioning process you can go stand before a judge and make your case in court. Well, I mean, you can do that even if you HAVEN'T been wronged, it's totally your right, but then lots of the details will be public record so it would be kinda dumb to do so if you really did what Safe Sport says you did. But the point is that no investigative process is infallible, which is why the right to appeals and so on is important.

Anyway. I will reiterate that I am NOT a lawyer, do not have any kind of legal training, willing to be told I'm missing a key point, etc.

Comment

• Judging by the resume of those who work at SS, I would think they have gone over every little hole that might be present in a rebuttle case. Plus they have already had some and seen any changes needing to be made. I can't imagine GM has a leg to stand on, by the NYT article there were many more people who were victims and I'm sure we haven't been told the half of it.
                              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Nonpublic schools kick kids out for behavior issues all the time. There is no due process, they get fed up with behavior, or simply do not tolerate some things like drug dealing, and ban the kid. They don't always have to report it to the police, although I think they usually report things like drugs to the police.
                                "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Originally posted by trakehners View Post

I know there's other discussion going on here, but I just want to comment on this because it really hasn't been all that long since I was a minor (well, okay, it's been a little while, but compared to a lot of people commenting on the GM/RG/general SafeSport situation across social media, I'm a very new adult) and I have to say that I'm in agreement with what SonnysMom has said here, and also that I think anyone who claims that SafeSport and the MAAP policies are going to prevent the formation of positive, supportive relationships between minors and adults and should thus not exist is so unbelievably wrong.

I have a very, very close relationship with one of the history teachers from my high school. He's my friend, he's practically my second father, and I truly mean it when I say that I really don't know what would've happened to me if he hadn't come into my life when he did. He was the voice of reason outside of my family through my teenage years and, to this day, nearly a decade after I first got to know him, he's still someone I go to for advice and support when I need it.

I didn't have his phone number until the year after I graduated (after I turned 18). We weren't Facebook friends until after I was no longer a student (this was before I turned 18 because I'm pretty young for my class, but only by ~a month. He and another history teacher have a long-standing tradition of accepting friend requests from students as soon as they're handed their diplomas at graduation, as it's no longer a violation of school policy once we're alumni).

We had many, many one-on-one conversations when I was in high school (always prompted by me), and it was actually my discussions with him that helped me get to a place where I felt safe and accepted enough to go get the help I needed at the time (isn't it funny how adults can, you know, not take advantage of incredibly vulnerable kids/teenagers and instead provide them with a support system?). We also always had those conversations on a bench down the hall from the history office, where we were perfectly in the line of sight from the office and students would regularly pass through, but where it was also private enough that I could talk about what was bothering me without being afraid of my classmates overhearing things that I really wasn't ready to admit to the world at large at the time. If I wanted to set up a time to talk to him, I walked into the history office and asked, no emailing or texting required.

As an adult, I'm a semi-regular fixture at his house (we do a lot of jam sessions with a rather interesting group of people that he's collected as friends over the years) and I've gotten to know his family (his wife was actually on my thesis committee in college). He's my friend, he's my family, and I was able to form this relationship with him even as we were operating under rules that are really no different than anything that SafeSport is asking of us. Those boundaries were things that I never even questioned. It was just the way things were, and it let me develop an absolutely crucial relationship in a safe way. Might there be an adjustment period for the equestrian community to get used to operating like this? Sure, but I think the growing pains are worth it and I think that in five or ten years, kids won't even question that this is just how things work and that'll be that.
                                  As a retired teacher, I want to thank you for this valuable contribution to this discussion. I wish I could like it a thousand times.
                                  A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                                    Judging by the resume of those who work at SS, I would think they have gone over every little hole that might be present in a rebuttle case. Plus they have already had some and seen any changes needing to be made. I can't imagine GM has a leg to stand on, by the NYT article there were many more people who were victims and I'm sure we haven't been told the half of it.
                                    I have a feeling that when the appeals process has played out, there will be many more people willing to go public.
                                    A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                                      @FairHills123

I absolutely agree that he will fight it. But what's that about the last 2 years part? I'm way out of the USEF loop and don't know what's been going on.
                                      That 2 years I think refers to the SS process of investigation that's been underway for 18 months, or more.
                                      Heck, the one guy accused him in 2012... then recanted. So really in some way, as under the radar as it may have been, this has been going on since then hasn't it?
                                      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Originally posted by trakehners View Post

I know there's other discussion going on here, but I just want to comment on this because it really hasn't been all that long since I was a minor (well, okay, it's been a little while, but compared to a lot of people commenting on the GM/RG/general SafeSport situation across social media, I'm a very new adult) and I have to say that I'm in agreement with what SonnysMom has said here, and also that I think anyone who claims that SafeSport and the MAAP policies are going to prevent the formation of positive, supportive relationships between minors and adults and should thus not exist is so unbelievably wrong.

I have a very, very close relationship with one of the history teachers from my high school. He's my friend, he's practically my second father, and I truly mean it when I say that I really don't know what would've happened to me if he hadn't come into my life when he did. He was the voice of reason outside of my family through my teenage years and, to this day, nearly a decade after I first got to know him, he's still someone I go to for advice and support when I need it.

I didn't have his phone number until the year after I graduated (after I turned 18). We weren't Facebook friends until after I was no longer a student (this was before I turned 18 because I'm pretty young for my class, but only by ~a month. He and another history teacher have a long-standing tradition of accepting friend requests from students as soon as they're handed their diplomas at graduation, as it's no longer a violation of school policy once we're alumni).

We had many, many one-on-one conversations when I was in high school (always prompted by me), and it was actually my discussions with him that helped me get to a place where I felt safe and accepted enough to go get the help I needed at the time (isn't it funny how adults can, you know, not take advantage of incredibly vulnerable kids/teenagers and instead provide them with a support system?). We also always had those conversations on a bench down the hall from the history office, where we were perfectly in the line of sight from the office and students would regularly pass through, but where it was also private enough that I could talk about what was bothering me without being afraid of my classmates overhearing things that I really wasn't ready to admit to the world at large at the time. If I wanted to set up a time to talk to him, I walked into the history office and asked, no emailing or texting required.

As an adult, I'm a semi-regular fixture at his house (we do a lot of jam sessions with a rather interesting group of people that he's collected as friends over the years) and I've gotten to know his family (his wife was actually on my thesis committee in college). He's my friend, he's my family, and I was able to form this relationship with him even as we were operating under rules that are really no different than anything that SafeSport is asking of us. Those boundaries were things that I never even questioned. It was just the way things were, and it let me develop an absolutely crucial relationship in a safe way. Might there be an adjustment period for the equestrian community to get used to operating like this? Sure, but I think the growing pains are worth it and I think that in five or ten years, kids won't even question that this is just how things work and that'll be that.
                                        Thanks for sharing this detailed, perspective. It was mentioned as part of the Rob Gage thread that someone should write an OpEd and submit it the Chronicle that gives a perspective about MAAP guidelines which is different from the one they published recently written by a 17 year old who was advocating for relaxing those guidelines.

Your story about how this high school teacher managed their role in a careful, thoughtful way as a supportive adult in your life is a great perspective. Keep sharing it :-)

Comment

• For those who have said that SafeSport should be transparent and publish dates and ages... note that the dates alone made it pretty easy to guess who one of the claimants was in this case. Indeed, I did a little searching and at first thought that Soresi was too young to be that claimant based on an article listing his age that was written in his 40s, then found his true age and went, "Oh." Took only a few minutes of clumsy investigation on my part and this started before I was born, on the opposite side of the country from me.

If they gave us another set of dates we'd know likely who else spoke to them.

Their policies say that the accused has the names of all claimants. That seems intimidating enough.
                                          If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Working...
                                          X