Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

untitled (115 of 123)-Edit
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crashing Boar View Post
    This is still (at least this week, so far!) the USA. One has a right to due process. If someone is being accused of a CRIME (and that's what this accusation is), they need to file a police report and bring that accusation, the evidence and any corroborating witnesses before a grand jury within the time frame of the statute of limitations in that state. If it's deemed the accusation is credible, the accused will be arraigned, possibly jailed or bond posted, and the process of preparing for trial begins.

To my knowledge, no other entity or process in our country is empowered to adjudicate and punish CRIME.
    Once more, slowly. HE IS NOT BEING ACCUSED OF A CRIME HERE. He is being accused of violating the SafeSport standards / USEF Code of Conduct. End of story.

Now if SafeSport believes a case may be criminal in nature, they can report it to law enforcement. You may get your wish to see the rule of law applied yet, but it has nothing to do with the SafeSport proceedings.
    Last edited by BigMama1; Aug. 7, 2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunflower View Post
      I went to the Safe Sport website and looked up the process they use, how they are run, etc, which is far more than most of the people shrieking about it have done. I also think the people who are bashing the Safe Sport process have little to no idea or experience of sports governance more generally. Why let an accurate understanding get in the way of a good screech fest on the Internet?
      The amount of people who essentially shriek about the unfairness of "a career brought down by one unsubstantiated decades-long allegation", or some form of that statement , is mind-boggling.
      Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

• Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post

Because you indicated that other poster who “watched” clinics in the past and recently was complicit because s/he continued watching 40 years later. S/he didn’t say any of the recent stuff was in person, could well also have been the Horsemastership series like many of us. Most of us who have been around a while have heard the rumors, too....I sure have. I mean, if I hadn’t already heard, his memoir didn’t leave much to the imagination.

in short— I thought your assumption that watching = complicit behavior was perhaps not fair to that poster. That’s all.
        Except that I said attended, not watched. Which she confirmed by saying she attended 8-9 clinics in person over the last 40 years.
        "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Mardi View Post

This^^^^
          For context, Mardi's post was in support of Crashing Boar's post which said, in part, "Here's a practical solution for USEF: SS is mandated to apply to "Olympic" sports. Western riding, breed shows, hunters, gaited riding, rodeo, foxhunting, and the SUB-FEI levels of jumping, 3-day, and dressage are only peripherally related to the Olympic movement. Truly "Olympic" level riding involves mere tens of people out of 337 million. Therefore, the USEF should only require the SS compliance for those truly training at the FEI levels;"

USEF is the NGB(*) for equestrian. The NGBs for all Olympic sports are required to abide by Safe Sport. USET(#) tried to be replace AHSA(&) as the NGB but this was not allowed. Ultimately USEF, now USE rose from the flames of that dispute. My recollection is that part of the determination that USET could not be the NGB was that there could be only one national organization associated with an Olympic discipline.

The last time I checked rodeo wasn't a USEF division, although warm-up rings can resemble one at times.

(*)national governing body
          (#)US Equestrian Team
          (&)American Horse Shows Association
          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

You can lose your medical license under almost the exact same procedure as Safe Sport follows.

Gah! Are most horse people completely ignorant of the way the rest of the world works?
            Yes - because they're all at horse shows and never turn on the TV or read the paper!

All joking aside though, we are a very insulated world and many people who go from show to show really aren't aware of what is happening in the real world. Most trainers have never held a "real" job, only played with horses their whole lives. They don't know about HR departments and what licensure is because no one oversees horse training in this country. Amazingly, there are some trainers who have managed to remain computer illiterate because they don't want to join the rest of the world. The equestrian world is really quite a sad branch of society.

Comment

• Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post

my point exactly, it was wacky.
              But every one of us here has a user name, no ??
              Go, Baby, Go......
              Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Comment

• Originally posted by Mardi View Post

This^^^^

(Mardi was quoting the person who basically stated that only people who are uber upper level should have to follow SS)
                So what you are saying is that only children who are going out for the Olympic levels are worthy of protection? Unbelievable. SS is about protecting CHILDREN from SEXUAL ABUSE. Why are only those who are of the upper levels worthy of protection?

Someone earlier said something along the lines of "no one thinks molestation is ok, no one anywhere" Well, yaknow, except for the people doing the molesting and those ardently defending them.

Comment

• Originally posted by MHM View Post
                  So you wouldn’t mind if someone posted your name over here as a member of that group, even though you are not participating?
                  Nope.
                  Go, Baby, Go......
                  Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Ei's View Post

But every one of us here has a user name, no ??
                    you are misunderstanding: it's really wacky that Katie was having a friend post "hi this is Katie..." as if Katie does not have access or a platform, particularly given a) the content of her message and b) the scrutiny the entire situation is under c) her past readiness to slag people publicly and the guarantee that any number of outlets would have published her latest blaaaaaaaaaah

You don't have to think it's weird, I do.
                    Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Crashing Boar to answer your question from a few pages back, the Supreme Court has already ruled on issues relating to the retroactive reach of laws. Ex post facto laws are not allowed in the criminal context generally. Civil or administrative laws are fair game. SS would be constitutional according to the current Supreme Court precedent.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                        @ Tiramit

I don't have a good answer for for you, except to say that I'm wiser now than I once was. You have to remember that the first clinic I saw may have been 40 years ago. When he was here and I could afford it, I went and watched. I've been to maybe 8-9 of his clinics, but I haven't been to one for probably 10 years now.

We all put up with a lot of stuff years ago that we wouldn't now - sexism, racism, you name it - without even being aware of it.
                        dannyboy, I'm not trying to pick on you. You've presented an excellent narrative for what I suspect is a fairly common "public" GM relationship, which is why I've singled your posts out. Please know that this is not an attack on you. For my comments below, "you" is not You.

Your cited timeline isn't uncommon in this discussion, but it's precisely within this decades-long timeline that, for me at least, the wheels fall off the cart. 10 years ago was 2009. We knew about bullying and sexual predators in 2009. Why attend then? We knew about them in 1999, 20 years ago. Same question. The Catholic Church and Boy Scouts scandals made international headlines 20 years ago. We knew predators existed. SafeSport is new, but stopping predators has been around for a while now. Why did everyone gossip and snicker and do nothing to prevent?

Yes, the 70s were a different time... 40 years ago. What about the 20 or 10 years after that where you still attended his clinics? You stated that you wouldn't ride with him after observing a questionable situation with a young boy 40 years ago makes less sense when you say that you still attended his clinics another 7-8 times over the next 30 years.

My point is that anyone who supported someone (anyone, not only GM!) despite a negative impression formed either from witnessing something first-hand or troubling gossip and not only did nothing to try and stop said someone, but continued to support him, is part of the problem. WE as a group need to be more aware and proactive rather than waiting to see who's next.

That's how people like the Larry Nassars and Jimmy Williams were able to carry on despite deplorable actions. It's a series of people not speaking up or looking the other way when they do witness or are made aware who help perpetuate the problem.
                        "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by IPEsq View Post
                          Crashing Boar to answer your question from a few pages back, the Supreme Court has already ruled on issues relating to the retroactive reach of laws. Ex post facto laws are not allowed in the criminal context generally. Civil or administrative laws are fair game. SS would be constitutional according to the current Supreme Court precedent.
                          I realize this wasn’t addressed to me... but thank you for this. It clarifies matters. And highlights that a civil suit overturning his ban is ... unlikely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom View Post

I realize this wasn’t addressed to me... but thank you for this. It clarifies matters. And highlights that a civil suit overturning his ban is ... unlikely.
                            Well, not necessarily but there would have to be most likely a different claim raised under the greater Act that SS is a part of, or this issue would need to somehow wind up back in front of the Court (unlikely).

Comment

• Originally posted by Crashing Boar View Post

Here's a practical solution for USEF: SS is mandated to apply to "Olympic" sports. Western riding, breed shows, hunters, gaited riding, rodeo, foxhunting, and the SUB-FEI levels of jumping, 3-day, and dressage are only peripherally related to the Olympic movement. Truly "Olympic" level riding involves mere tens of people out of 337 million. Therefore, the USEF should only require the SS compliance for those truly training at the FEI levels; a vanishingly small group of people, those under the most extreme performance pressure at the very pinnacle of the sport.

Let all other allegations of any and all misconduct, in any social context, be adjudicated by the legitimate US judicial authorities under due process of US law.
                              This is a great idea. Even better, we could have Safe Sport apply only to equestrians currently longlisted for Olympic teams, and only in Olympic years. Equestrian isn’t like gymnastics, in which most the elite athletes are minors, anyway.

Who cares if a 13 year not longlisted for the Olympics is molested?

Comment

• Are the accusations against him true multiple sources are putting me in a dilemma?

Comment

• Originally posted by himanshu View Post
                                  Are the accusations against him true multiple sources are putting me in a dilemma?
                                  Huh?

Comment

• I feel sorry for the people who are honestly shocked at this news. I really do.

I can only imagine how horrible I would feel if someone that I knew and respected was accused, investigated, and found to have had sexual contact with a minor, thus necessitating his removal from access to children.

However I don't understand the defensive freak out and hysteria about the banning of George Morris, by people who's only connection to him is not a personal one.

If he was your Dad, your brother, or your close friend, I might understand the instinct to defend him, without giving Safe Sport credit for doing their job, which is to protect minors from abuse..

This is not the case with the majority of people online. who know him only by reputation as a horseman or perhaps have had lessons or clinics with him.

It is an ugly and terrible reality, that people abuse those over whom they have power.

We have to face this. There are still heroes that we can aspire to emulate. Unfortunately some of our heroes are goats. Having them exposed is painful, but is definitely for the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydy View Post
                                      I feel sorry for the people who are honestly shocked at this news. I really do.

I can only imagine how horrible I would feel if someone that I knew and respected was accused, investigated, and found to have had sexual contact with a minor, thus necessitating his removal from access to children.

However I don't understand the defensive freak out and hysteria about the banning of George Morris, by people who's only connection to him is not a personal one.

If he was your Dad, your brother, or your close friend, I might understand the instinct to defend him, without giving Safe Sport credit for doing their job, which is to protect minors from abuse..

This is not the case with the majority of people online. who know him only by reputation as a horseman or perhaps have had lessons or clinics with him.

It is an ugly and terrible reality, that people abuse those over whom they have power.

We have to face this. There are still heroes that we can aspire to emulate. Unfortunately some of our heroes are goats. Having them exposed is painful, but is definitely for the best.
                                      I think the idea of the domino effect may be lurking out there as a hidden trigger. Even if misconduct is not something one has to worry about oneself, other empires toppling around you are not good for the bottom line.

The irony is that getting on board with SafeSport now in the midst of the firestorm will surely serve their businesses well for years to come. It's the principled thing to do and because of that they'll land on the right side of history.

It's the long game but you can't see it if you're convinced you need to be in preservation mode.
                                      One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                                      William Shakespeare

Comment

• Originally posted by Texarkana View Post

So when my close friend was ripped out of our workplace in handcuffs on charges of statutory rape of a minor, I will agree that it was tough to resolve. I didn't know how to feel. To this day, it's still hard to believe. I never had even the slightest inkling he could be involved in such a thing, even though he was found guilty in court and may still be in jail.

But you know what I didn't do? Take to the internet to trash the alleged victim and the judicial system. I know everyone processes things differently, but you also have a level of personal responsibility to be a decent human being. Yes, you may be angry for your friend and want to believe the allegations are untrue. Yet there are also other parties involved. Not to sound trite, but we all know there are two sides to every story and it is short-sighted to become utterly disrespectful when you only have your own perspective. Historical data indicates the majority of reports of sexual misconduct with a minor stem from a place of truth. To outright blame the victim and/or the process is not only in poor taste, it defies logic.
                                        But, at the same time, I’m sure your friends conviction wasn’t on the front pages and ‘the talk’ of the equestrian internet.
                                        I think these BNTs are in shock and disbelief over hearing their friend did something like this. There is a lot of thoughts of ‘I never saw that behavior and I’ve known him for x years!’
                                        They will cool off, probably after the appeal is done, and come to realize that criminals don’t commit crimes in ways that get caught. If a person is sloppy, they would have gone to jail years ago, SS or not. SS wasn’t created for the obvious abuse situations.

If you go through my posts, especially from the Rob Gage thread, my original reaction to SS was ‘this can’t be true. SS must be corrupt/wrong/incompetent.’ But after things cooled off, I realized that not everything has to have some sort of agenda behind it. Sometimes, people do bad stuff and get caught. I think that a lot of these BNTs are gonna feel the same way in a few days.

Comment

• Originally posted by ohmyheck View Post

I think the idea of the domino effect may be lurking out there as a hidden trigger. Even if misconduct is not something one has to worry about oneself, other empires toppling around you are not good for the bottom line.

The irony is that getting on board with SafeSport now in the midst of the firestorm will surely serve their businesses well for years to come. It's the principled thing to do and because of that they'll land on the right side of history.

It's the long game but you can't see it if you're convinced you need to be in preservation mode.
                                          I don't see the irony, but I certainly think it behooves those that consider the prevention and punishment of child abuse as something that is important, to make it clear that they aren't complicit.

By making such instant and desperate attempts to diminish Safe Sport's banning of Morris, their writings show that most of these people seem to have either not read, or not understood, the Safe Sport literature and are doing themselves and their cause no credit whatsoever.

If some parents don't care what happens to their children as long as they win at horse shows, well thankfully Safe Sport exists and most all of us give a damn.
                                          I think most parents do give a damn. They just don't expect USEF to give kiddie porn fans and child molesters free rein in their organization.

It's good for parents and kids to be able to have a place to research and thus to choose between a coach that has excellent teaching skills and yet has been set down for molesting minors, and a good coach that has no sexual interest in their students.

I think many families that are able to provide their children with horses and training at very advanced levels have caught on and are more careful about who they trust their children to.

For everyday folks that are financing the kiddo's horsey dream? They should not have to be in the "know" to keep their kid away from a trainer that everyone else knows is untrustworthy.

It's not that much to ask.
                                          Last edited by skydy; Aug. 8, 2019, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X