Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mroades View Post
    I had an AA show judge take me to his hotel room when I was 16. At that point in my life I thought that was AWESOME. I now know it was not ok on so many levels. I never told anyone until after he died in a car crash because, yes, I still think it was my fault. I am 53 now fwiw
    It wouldn't be your fault if you stripped down naked, broke into the room and put the adult's hands on you. It is ALWAYS on the adult's hands to stop an inappropriate situation or relationship from developing.

I have seen the victim blaming over and over that these teens are really going to go off and try to get the adult trainers caught up in these situations. It's bullshit. The adult is the one with the responsibility to not allow any inappropriate situation with a minor. Period. Full stop. The adult is to blame. End of story.

What part of don't be alone with a minor is so difficult? I was a full on barn rat from the mid 80s to early 90s. I slept over at another student's house. I was in my trainers house, went out to eat with my trainer, and went to shows with my trainer. I was never ALONE. There was always either another student, or a boarder, or another trainer, or SOMEBODY there. I was very close to my trainer and her husband. I spent more time there than waking hours at home probably, but even back in that time.... there was never a clandestine private relationship of any kind that could have happened. I don't think they were even trying to guard against it, they just weren't pedophiles, they were running a business and even though I was close to them, they treated our relationship appropriately as a minor student.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenerationx View Post

It wouldn't be your fault if you stripped down naked, broke into the room and put the adult's hands on you. It is ALWAYS on the adult's hands to stop an inappropriate situation or relationship from developing.

I have seen the victim blaming over and over that these teens are really going to go off and try to get the adult trainers caught up in these situations. It's bullshit. The adult is the one with the responsibility to not allow any inappropriate situation with a minor. Period. Full stop. The adult is to blame. End of story.

What part of don't be alone with a minor is so difficult? I was a full on barn rat from the mid 80s to early 90s. I slept over at another student's house. I was in my trainers house, went out to eat with my trainer, and went to shows with my trainer. I was never ALONE. There was always either another student, or a boarder, or another trainer, or SOMEBODY there. I was very close to my trainer and her husband. I spent more time there than waking hours at home probably, but even back in that time.... there was never a clandestine private relationship of any kind that could have happened. I don't think they were even trying to guard against it, they just weren't pedophiles, they were running a business and even though I was close to them, they treated our relationship appropriately as a minor student.
      I could not have said it better myself

Comment

I'm guessing that these groups issue is the fact that Safe Sport is hearing from people that have been molested in the past. It's unfortunate that I have to guess but there it is. They will not give specifics.

The only thing I hear is "it happened a long time ago", which leads me to believe that they are very worried about the past catching up to them and/or their friends.

The people that are so vehemently opposed to Safe Sport really can't come right out and say that they think adults behaving inappropriately with minors is OK, but they really are saying that as long as you molested a kid a long time ago it's OK now.

I wonder if any of them realize how truly awful they look.

Comment

What is quite interesting is the comment that one trainer said to me "the way these kids act and dress; they just throw themselves at the trainers. They ask for it" . These trainers are fathers, brothers sons and above all adults. If they do not know how to defuse the situation then they best get help. Letting the situation escalate is just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinah-do View Post
            What is quite interesting is the comment that one trainer said to me "the way these kids act and dress; they just throw themselves at the trainers. They ask for it" . These trainers are fathers, brothers sons and above all adults. If they do not know how to defuse the situation then they best get help. Letting the situation escalate is just a joke.
            In other words the trainers in question are the kind of people who only need someone to suggest they break a rule or commit a crime, and they are helpless to resist. Great.

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post

In other words the trainers in question are the kind of people who only need someone to suggest they break a rule or commit a crime, and they are helpless to resist. Great.
              I have interviewed a number of well-known riders / trainers on the topic of SafeSport. Imagine my shock when of them told me the issue was not with trainers, but with parents who didn’t teach their daughters not to be “little Lolitas who showed up at the barn half dressed.” I told them my daughter could show up at the barn stark naked, and it still wouldn’t give her adult trainer (or anyone) the right to sexually assault her.

Comment

How horrible that adult males are having to start behaving like ADULTS and show restraint. Men are not helpless animals who lack any and all control when it comes to a teenager coming onto them. Grow up and keep your pants on it's not that difficult. The time has passed where men can claim that they are helpless to the wiles of teenagers whether or not they "dress like Lolitas and throw themselves" at them.
                Last edited by Capall; Dec. 7, 2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinah-do View Post
                  THIS. Although it was some years ago, I remember being a teenaged girl quite well. Teenagers generally want nothing more than to be seen as "grown-ups" with all that entails. They sometimes do things that they don't quite grasp the significance/danger of, which is why the legal onus of not having sex with teenagers is ON ADULTS. The very law recognizes that teenagers don't always make good decisions and adults should know better.

Comment

I'm guessing that these groups issue is the fact that Safe Sport is hearing from people that have been molested in the past. It's unfortunate that I have to guess but there it is. They will not give specifics.

The only thing I hear is "it happened a long time ago", which leads me to believe that they are very worried about the past catching up to them and/or their friends.

The people that are so vehemently opposed to Safe Sport really can't come right out and say that they think adults behaving inappropriately with minors is OK, but they really are saying that as long as you molested a kid a long time ago it's OK now.

I wonder if any of them realize how truly awful they look.
                    I agree. With RG they tried to say that it was a 17 year old girlfriend when he was 18. Nope. 5 women went public debunking that. Hilary Ridland was13 when he was in his mid 20’s. The four other women were 14-16 as he was approaching 30. Someone who does that has a serious problem. It’s not something they ”grow out of”. The likelihood that a trainer had one single “relationship” with an underage girl and never did it again, while not impossible, is unlikely. By the way, if it was only one and 40 years ago, it’s not likely to result in a Safesport ban.

In the case with which I have first hand experience, the trainer was involved with multiple underage students in the past. No one wanted to believe they were still at it. Then I came across a recent photo of the trainer having inappropriate contact with a 14 year old. A number of people, including me, had seen this photo without really seeing it. It was shocking. The really bad actors, don’t stop at one and they don’t change.

Comment

Originally posted by oneequestrienne View Post
                      The really bad actors, don’t stop at one and they don’t change.
                      Exactly. The only way it stops is to completely remove them from any situation where they have access to their preferred pool of victims. THAT is why we need Safe Sport. The sport has been unwilling or unable to eradicate the monsters without it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMama1 View Post

I have interviewed a number of well-known riders / trainers on the topic of SafeSport. Imagine my shock when of them told me the issue was not with trainers, but with parents who didn’t teach their daughters not to be “little Lolitas who showed up at the barn half dressed.” I told them my daughter could show up at the barn stark naked, and it still wouldn’t give her adult trainer (or anyone) the right to sexually assault her.
                        Wow. Your response was perfect! I have yet to see a company market riding bikinis, but even if that were the case.... there is no excuse whatsoever for an adult to engage in sexual activity of any kind with a minor. It disgusts me to know that there are trainers who would put that onus on the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Keep it Simple View Post

To me, these questions are not necessary. The question to the accused, "Did you have a relationship with this minor?" If the answer is yes. End of story. The other questions are great for gathering information on the tactics used to manipulate or groom the minor, but the reasons are not necessary to determine if the accusations are valid.

I agree the adult is the one to take responsibility. I don't care how much a minor flirts or "throws themselves" at an adult. The answer is no. If married and someone throws themselves at you, the answer is no. If you are a trainer and your student pursues you, then answer is No. If your employee comes on to you, the answer is No. If your employer comes on to you, the answer is No.
                          Your points are good, other than that they misinterpreted the point that I was making.

As I noted in my post, it is the skeptics/deniers who are challenging the accusers with Question #1. They ask the question that assumes the minor is a significant part of developing the relationship. But Question #2 is what they should be asking - how did GM invite, encourage and develop this relationship?

You are right that it shouldn't be necessary to ask any of that. But when they get the chance they are asking nonetheless - if they acknowledge there is a relationship at all.

Comment

Exactly. The only way it stops is to completely remove them from any situation where they have access to their preferred pool of victims. THAT is why we need Safe Sport. The sport has been unwilling or unable to eradicate the monsters without it.
                            Yep, and a further question just for thought ...

Context of question: Larry Nasser was involved with gymnastics not because he loved gymnastics, but because of the opportunity it gave him to access many victims over many years. Once the investigation was really underway Larry Nasser didn't always have correct answers to the technical/medical questions posed by those who were truly experts in the field. Larry Nasser was never the person he pretended to be to the gymnastics community. He was just a good self-promoter and groomer.

So, for at least some of the horse professionals being outed ...
                            -- Did they molest young students because they are horse trainers with a problem of inappropriate relationships?
                            -- Or are they pedophiles who found that being good with horses gave them access to vulnerable youngsters, within a community that preferred denial? (re gymnastics)

What's important about the question for a suspicious situation that comes up at some future time ...
                            -- Should we try to school said adult (trainer or otherwise) on showing more restraint and professionalism, and stop there?
                            -- Or should we recognize a pedophile for what they are and go from there?

Some people ask about the old cases, "why didn't LE and the courts take action when this inappropriate/illegal relationship happened 20-30 years ago?" Aside from LE/courts not being very available for such issues at the time, it could also be that no one thought in terms of "pedophile", or that there might have been more than one situation like this one. They just wanted the trainer to keep their hands to themselves and everyone carry on showing horses as before. They never identified the big picture (re the shock at generations of victims coming forward).

I think any time we are aware of an inappropriate relationship between an adult and a minor, we need to consider that possibly this is not the only one that has occurred over the adult's history. It may not be a matter of doing what we can to fix this one situation. It may well be in order to have the appropriate authority conduct a wider investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post

-- Did they molest young students because they are horse trainers with a problem of inappropriate relationships?
                              -- Or are they pedophiles who found that being good with horses gave them access to vulnerable youngsters, within a community that preferred denial? (re gymnastics)

What's important about the question for a suspicious situation that comes up at some future time ...
                              -- Should we try to school said adult (trainer or otherwise) on showing more restraint and professionalism, and stop there?

I don't believe that simply schooling adults on showing more restraint and professionalism would be very effective. Violators already know what they're doing is inappropriate/illegal and they do it anyway. It takes more than "schooling." It takes the creation of a culture that lays out clear rules for interacting with minors and policing the environment sufficiently to ensure that the rules are followed. This would be a "see something, say something" culture and an "I don't do business with people who don't follow the rules" culture. Maybe toss in a little social shunning for the barely legal girl-much older man scenario.

However, I think even that is only going to stop people who are what you describe as "horse trainers with a problem of inappropriate relationships." You know, the "yeah, Mary might only be 17, but she is so grown up and so hot and she wants me" assholes. The "40+-year old guys having relationships with 18-year-old students" creeps.

I also don't think that the "horse trainers with a problem of inappropriate relationships" are the kind of guys grooming children and having sex with younger teens. I feel like the guys doing that are truly pedophiles/pederasts that can only be stopped by ensuring that they have no access to children and teens. Because I think that if they do retain access, they will manage to find a way to carry on and keep their activities underground no matter what.

So, circling back around to your questions, I think we need to:

1. Create a culture of education, vigilance, and universal vocal disapproval of inappropriate behavior as a preventative measure - "If you want to have inappropriate relationships, the horse world is not the place to do it because we won't tolerate it."

2. Keep our house clean by getting rid of offenders.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                              that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Wow. Your response was perfect! I have yet to see a company market riding bikinis, but even if that were the case.... there is no excuse whatsoever for an adult to engage in sexual activity of any kind with a minor. It disgusts me to know that there are trainers who would put that onus on the children.
                                The barn I went to in my late teens/early 20's had a swimming pool. Several of us would hang around and swim in our bikinis and sometimes we'd even trail ride in bikini tops! Funny, my trainer's husband never made any inappropriate comments and never made any of us feel uncomfortable. He never did anything but act like an adult and not like a shark during a feeding frenzy just because there were scantily clad young females around.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post

I don't think there's any separation there. I think pedophiles get into whatever sport or hobby they're in either because of the pool of victims, or because they're into the sport, but they then choose to work with the young people because that's what they're interested in, attracted to, and gives them access.

Outdoorsy type? Become a scout leader, camp counselor etc.
                                  Into academics? Become a teacher.
                                  Into horses? Trainer for young riders.
                                  Doctor or physical therapist? Find a team of teens to work with.

Nasser was into that ego rush of being a highly regarded professional, I don't think the sport mattered. He could have gone to a soccer team, volleyball team etc. Gymnastics was just more "hands on" than other sports. For others, I think they just stay in the sport they know and gravitate to working with those age groups they're attracted to, but they're ALL pedophiles.

Comment

Note the refusal to name members;https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...quity-in-sport

Comment

Y’all see this nonsense?! It WREAKS of ISWG. #Istandwithvictims #ibelievesurvivors #letitfuckinggoalready #hesadamnpedo https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...quity-in-sport

Comment

Un.f-ing.believable these people. I can’t believe chroni is giving them airtime. Such a joke. The whole “I’m not saying who, but I know it’s happened” bullshit saying people have been BANNED with no investigation is straight up nauseating. Make-up-your-own-facts is the new standard in journalism 😢

Comment

I keep saying the people who are all about due process and facing your accuser better be careful what they wish for. They are wishing for criminal proceedings where people found guilty go to jail.
                                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Working...
                                          X