Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

untitled (115 of 123)-Edit
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just out of curiosity, does SS or USEF make an announcement of the result of an appeal (like a press release) or do you just have to keep checking the list to see if "subject to appeal" is removed?
    ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• I think someone mentioned that they don’t make an announcement but because it’s GM I think we will hear about it. Especially with the New York Times article, never mind COTH.

Comment

• I agree 100% with Yankee Duchess. SafeSport must know it has to win this one.

One thing I'm not clear on (and yes, I reviewed the rules) is the confidentiality obligations imposed on the respondent/accused.

To what degree can the accused reveal the allegations against him?

For example: in the process of finding supportive witnesses, could the accused call up a colleague and say, "The allegations relate to the time I coached Sally at the Happy Acres show... remember you were there and saw me coaching her?" If the accused is allowed to do this, then is the contacted witness under any confidentiality obligation?

Comment

• I would think the accused would tell investigators or their attorney about any and all people who could exonerate them and the investigators or attorney are the ones who call. I don’t think they themselves are allowed to call people.

If you had a case with a gag order on it would you let your client just randomly start calling people to help you collect evidence? Doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
            I would think the accused would tell investigators or their attorney about any and all people who could exonerate them and the investigators or attorney are the ones who call. I don’t think they themselves are allowed to call people.
            That may be... my thinking is that the process of gathering supportive witnesses could spread knowledge of the allegations pretty wide. Some of those potential witnesses may themselves have a confidentiality obligation (i.e., active members of USEF) but others may not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

That may be... my thinking is that the process of gathering supportive witnesses could spread knowledge of the allegations pretty wide. Some of those potential witnesses may themselves have a confidentiality obligation (i.e., active members of USEF) but others may not.
              From what I gather it’s in everyone’s best interest to not publicly discuss it. However if they do they cannot make false statements and SS reserves the right to correct the misinformation. Obviously they don’t really care about Kathy Serio and her rant on Facebook. She did open the door for Safe Sport to go public about her husbands case. The only thing completely and totally restricted are the documents, statements and other forms of evidence.

For example no one can post on social media or go to a news outlet with copies or recordings used as evidence.

Its not a gag order but I would assume, the respondent and their people are advised to be quiet. Basically in a long winded way you can talk about it to any third party just be accurate and don’t supply duplicates of the evidence.

At least that’s my interpretation of the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                To circle back around to the original topic for this thread, I wonder how the appeal is progressing? We're coming up on the 30-day mark now.

I was just thinking...it's not only GM who has a lot on the line here. If his appeal is upheld and he is reinstated, there will be no convincing anyone that SafeSport has any teeth as far as the horse business is concerned.
                It will be dark days ahead for SS and any child that's been used by a BNT if he's reinstated.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

ladyj79 was directly quoting the victim herself. She didn't just come up with that statement on her own.

This discussion has developed a serious lack of reading for comprehension. I wonder if this is just a characteristic of threads that go on for long periods of time and grow to huge numbers of posts.
                  Nope, she added a word that completely changed the tone. Funny that you should accuse me if not reading

Comment

• When chisamba in post #3373 said: “Congratulations on victim shaming any survivor who handles it differently from you.” in response to when

ladyj79 in post #3351 said: I'm happy that that was the case for you, and that it became just an interesting story to tell." In response to my post #3350.

ladyj79 in post #3374 responded with: ”As with dags, you are attributing sentiment to me which is a direct quote. I'll let it go, because that post I am directly quoting from was certainly long and difficult to get through.”

And NoSuchPerson in post #3375 said: “ladyj79 was directly quoting the victim herself. She didn't just come up with that statement on her own. This discussion has developed a serious lack of reading for comprehension.”

However, both of these statements asserting that it was a direct quote from me are false.

Here is the direct quote of what I said about using dissociation for when you are required to testify:

“If you think of it in the third person, it makes for an interesting story. This makes it so retelling the story is not reliving it.”

Note that neither the word “just” nor “became” appear in what I actually said. Her statement was most definitely NOT a “direct quote” and it would appear that ladyj79 was unwilling to actually go through what I wrote in order to demonstrate that she was making a direct quote (possibly because she knew that it wasn’t a direct quote, since I had already pointed that out in my response post #3357, but maybe because she was just too lazy).

And it would appear that NoSuchPerson is willing to parrot ladyj79’s false assertion that it was a direct quote without actually going through what I wrote to discover whether it were true (which it isn’t). Perhaps because NoSuchPerson has, as she suggested herself, “developed a serious lack of reading for comprehension.”

Because not only was it not a direct quote, it didn’t even express the same sentiment.

BTW, as an aside, this is how falsehoods often get promulgated. One person lies, and then another person repeats the lie without checking the underlying evidence. Underlying evidence, I might add, that they DO have access to. And then the lie takes on a life of its own with countless people parroting it. We should all be careful not to repeat everything we hear without “fact checking.”

So hopefully people will now stop parroting that ladyj79’s words were a direct quote from me. They weren't. And ladyj79 will stop telling that lie as well.

That said, I did not consider ladyj79’s original response to me to be victim shaming, since I am not quite sure why “I am happy that..” and “I wish you peace” should be interpreted as shaming. I assumed that she was sincere in her sentiments of happiness and well-wishes. That is, after all, what she said.

I, too, am happy that testifying at the trial of the man accused of attacking me was easy. From what I have heard here, for other people it often isn’t. Which is why I wanted to share some of the techniques that worked for me for making it easy in the hopes that these techniques might make testifying easier for other people faced with the same challenge.

Since much of this discussion about Safe Sport and its procedures revolves around how difficult it is for victims to tell of the abuse they have been subjected to, and an unwillingness to report it for fear of having to face their abusers and to relive the abuse in the retelling, I considered it worthwhile to share my own experience with how to make it easier.

And that is the ONLY thing that I talked about…how to make testifying easier. So, to clear up another misunderstanding:

When Jeloushe, in post #3363 said: “I also disagree with this poster and I don't think dissociating yourself with the event is healthy in the long run”

Let me clarify. I was not speaking about “the long run” I was speaking about testifying. And whether that testimony lasts 15 minutes of 9 hours, neither amount of time qualifies as the long run.

None of the insights I provided were intended to address what may or may not work in the long run. They were intended to help witnesses get through their day in court. Or days, since often you don’t have to testify only once.

However, the reason anybody is called to testify is that the court is interested in what you have to say. So yes, it IS (at least one hopes that it is) an “interesting story.”

Think how much worse it would be if nobody WERE interested in it. In fact, I THINK that is what Safe Sport is all about…reassuring victims that there are people who are interested in what they have to say and will listen.

If I understand correctly, George Morris's inappropriate behavior has been the "hunter/jumper" community's dirty little secret for a very long time, but nobody was interested in doing anything about it. At least not interested enough. Victims of abuse need to be able to generate interest in their stories of abuse if anything is to be done about it. There is nothing "just" (using just to mean "only" and not "fair") about interesting.

I hope what I have said might give other victims the ability to tell their interesting stories without being destroyed in the process.

As another aside, the DA in my case was able to secure a conviction and a 178 year prison sentence in the trial where I testified as a witness, including 12 years for the defendant's attack on me, so it is a bit of a stretch to say that she wasn't doing her job by not "prepping" me. Maybe the reason she was able to have this success was because her witnesses' testimonies did not come off as rehearsed (I don't know, because, like all witnesses, I didn't hear any of the testimony, other than my own).

Comment

• I know this topic has been beat to death, but I read something in a review of She Said by Meghan Twohey and Jodi Kantor about Harvey Weinstein that really hit home. I know many people who knew JW and RG and rode with them, people I really like and respect who all say essentially the same thing, that the girls wanted to ride the good horses and get the attention so they were not victims but willing participants.

Here’s the quote that got to me:

”...that so many of the people that Kantor and Twohey spoke with seemed to assume that women willingly trade sex for career advancement in Hollywood is chilling.”

It is chilling and I really hope minds will change in the horse world like they are beginning to change in the entertainment industry.
                      A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bristol Bay View Post
                        I know this topic has been beat to death, but I read something in a review of She Said by Meghan Twohey and Jodi Kantor about Harvey Weinstein that really hit home. I know many people who knew JW and RG and rode with them, people I really like and respect who all say essentially the same thing, that the girls wanted to ride the good horses and get the attention so they were not victims but willing participants.

Here’s the quote that got to me:

”...that so many of the people that Kantor and Twohey spoke with seemed to assume that women willingly trade sex for career advancement in Hollywood is chilling.”

It is chilling and I really hope minds will change in the horse world like they are beginning to change in the entertainment industry.
                        The whole point of statutory rape laws is that a minor under the age of consent does not have the legal ability to consent; doesn’t matter a bit if she is “willing”, thinks she is in love, wants to ride the best horses, idolizes the trainer, etc. In the case of a minor under the AOC, the adult is legally (as well as morally) required to shut it down, no matter how “willing” the minor is.

I am perplexed that the supporters of JW, RG, etc just don’t get this.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDuchess View Post

The whole point of statutory rape laws is that a minor under the age of consent does not have the legal ability to consent; doesn’t matter a bit if she is “willing”, thinks she is in love, wants to ride the best horses, idolizes the trainer, etc. In the case of a minor under the AOC, the adult is legally (as well as morally) required to shut it down, no matter how “willing” the minor is.

I am perplexed that the supporters of JW, RG, etc just don’t get this.
                          Right? Like hello, the ADULT is responsible for not allowing it to happen. They are the ADULT in the situation. Saying that the CHILD was "willing" does not mean that the adult in the situation has the right to take advantage of that. They aren't some poor helpless victim in this, they are an adult who is willing to screw a kid. And most of those kids were probably groomed to be "willing" participants. That anyone can defend that makes me sick to my stomach. Like those who question why Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard didn't just "leave" their captors.

Comment

• Has there been any news yet regarding the appeal?
                            Talking to some people is like folding a fitted sheet.

Comment

• Not that I'm aware of. I keep checking the SS page to see if the status has changed, but as of yesterday, it still said "subject to appeal/not yet final".
                              ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• The following is related to Safe Sport in general, but wasn’t sure it warranted its own thread.

There was an article in last Saturday’s WSJ saying the the Justice Department is perusing wide-ranging criminal investigations into US Olympic sports organizations. Equestrian isn’t specifically mentioned.

Here’s a Reuters link since WSJ seems to keep everything behind a paywall.
                                https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VZ01F
                                The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                                  The following is related to Safe Sport in general, but wasn’t sure it warranted its own thread.

There was an article in last Saturday’s WSJ saying the the Justice Department is perusing wide-ranging criminal investigations into US Olympic sports organizations. Equestrian isn’t specifically mentioned.

Happy to see this, the lower tier sports have been under the radar for too long...of course the NFL is right in your face bad to the bone and no one seems to be able to rein them in.
                                  Humans dont mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. Sebastian Junger

Comment

• I wouldn’t expect the appeal to be over with until October or November. I forget who posted but they said in their experience the appeals take about 90 days.

The NFL is like other sports. People over look bad behavior because talent. At least the Patriots cut Antonio Brown.

Comment

The following is related to Safe Sport in general, but wasn’t sure it warranted its own thread.

I am thinking this is not who the reform Safesport group had in mind to be investigated.

Comment

The GoFundMe for Safe Sport “Overhul” is at $3260 of a requested $25K. Anyone curious can see who has donated, though there are some who have chosen to remain anonymous.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/safe-sport-overhul
                                        Just reviving this angle to note that that group has not raised one single dollar more since you posted this one month ago. that fills my heart with some hope for us.
                                        Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• I just posted this in the eventing forum so welcome discussion there, but event rider Callum Buczak has been charged with raping a fellow rider in Austrailia, the national governing body is fighting over their choice not to suspend even though the charge is going to trial. Already some resignations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...low-rider.html

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...1f9262d7c8f434
                                          Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Working...
                                          X