Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

UMS_01

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

On the SS Honest Conversation page, someone listed all the ways Ashley Wagner was culpable. Going to a party without telling her parents, Underage drinking, not planning on how to get back to her hotel. and how she and the man got their signals crossed and she was so drunk she might not have remembered inviting him to her room. Then later in the thread wonders who was blaming the victim? She got lots of likes for that.
    Wow. I haven’t found that page yet, and am not part of the “reform Safe Sport” group. Just seeing the comments on the Chronicles article last night, and the posts on the personal page of a few friends is enough to make me weep.

At this point... people need to stop. Stop defending folks and trashing victims when you really DON’T know what the investigations revealed. It’s stunning. Have a thoughtful discussion about concerns over the Safe Sport process, but STOP with the SICK defense of people who have sexually exploited minors... just because you admire their accomplishments in sport and don’t want it to be true. Big names were put on this list because there was a mountain of evidence and testimony that it WAS true. People need to remove their craniums from their rectums.

Comment

• So Robert Dover and Mary Phelps are coming out in support of George Morris. They are blaming SafeSport.

I think I would be more careful about saying stuff if I was a horse professional. He didn't get banned on a whim.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

Wait. What? That doesn't even make any sense.

The Boy Scouts has a code of conduct that adult volunteers must abide by. If they don't, they are removed from the organization, i.e. banned from any direct involvement with the private organization. Exactly like violations of Safe Sport rules can get an equestrian professional banned from any direct involvement with USEF. It's the same thing.
        I think what the poster was reacting to was the statement that s private club can ban “anyone” without legal repercussions. The Boy Scouts tried to ban gays from serving as leaders and even, I think, as Scouts. They lost in court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

Homosexuality is completely separate from pedophilia. Also, you can’t “raise a homosexual.” You are or you aren’t.
          Yeah good grief... the other poster's quote on "grooming and training boys to be homosexual" is grossly inaccurate. Sexuality shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread as it is entirely irrelevant. You don't walk around talking about just how straight the men who molest little girls are. Come on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom View Post

Wow. I haven’t found that page yet, and am not part of the “reform Safe Sport” group. Just seeing the comments on the Chronicles article last night, and the posts on the personal page of a few friends is enough to make me weep..
            If you want to know why, 'What were you wearing?' is still asked,that page will tell you all you need to know.
            You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• Originally posted by rollingabout View Post

Spare me the drama. I’ll decide when I see solid evidence.
              But the point is, you may never see the "evidence". We do not have a right to know the details about a sexual offense. To expose survivors to the backlash of people who either don't believe them or don't care is to subject them to repeated and unnecessary trauma. Look at what has happened to Hilary Ridland (just read some of the comments that people made on her personal Facebook page!) or the comment that "Andrew" posted about Anne Kursinski on the Chronical of the Horse Facebook post about GM. I'm surprised that anyone is willing to come forward, especially if the person they are talking about is revered in the industry. Why are so many people are willling to doubt survivors than the people they accused, even thought they have no idea who is lying?

The saddest thing I've read in all the reports about sexual abuse is the father of one of the girls who was a victim in the Nassar case. Her father committed suicide when he realized his daughter had been a victim since age 6 and he had not believed her. In fact, since Nassar was a family friend, he had insisted that she apologize to him.

I'm not saying that we should take every accusation as the Gospel, but the excessive attacks on victims is completely unwarranted.
              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Escada View Post
                So Robert Dover and Mary Phelps are coming out in support of George Morris. They are blaming SafeSport.

I think I would be more careful about saying stuff if I was a horse professional. He didn't get banned on a whim.
                It doesn't surprise me at all that the wagons are beginning to circle.

But with regard to the big names who are lending their support to GM, seriously ewwww.

I don't know how the ban can truthfully come as a surprise to anyone who's even peripherally involved in the H/J world. Or who has read GM's own words in his book.

I hope the ban sticks and that dozens of other people are quaking in their boots right now.
                www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post
                  Oh good, Robert Dover has weighed in to say that he stands with George because George didn't molest one specific guy he asked....
                  And that guy he asked is really, really good looking! So if GM didn't go after the super good looking dude, he wouldn't have gone after anyone.

It disappoints me that Dover would do this.
                  Sheilah

Comment

• Originally posted by LaurieB View Post

It doesn't surprise me at all that the wagons are beginning to circle.

But with regard to the big names who are lending their support to GM, seriously ewwww.

I don't know how the ban can truthfully come as a surprise to anyone who's even peripherally involved in the H/J world. Or who has read GM's own words in his book.

I hope the ban sticks and that dozens of other people are quaking in their boots right now.
                    I remember a rumor that someone spoke to George about a Safe Sport allegation and he said if they take me down, I'm taking everyone with me.
                    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

I remember a rumor that someone spoke to George about a Safe Sport allegation and he said if they take me down, I'm taking everyone with me.
                      Good. If it's true then bring them all down.
                      "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post
                        And that guy he asked is really, really good looking! So if GM didn't go after the super good looking dude, he wouldn't have gone after anyone.

It disappoints me that Dover would do this.
                        Sheilah
                        My head is going to explode.
                        Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lori T
                          I came on here hoping for some answers and was really shocked to see that everyone is debating GM's innocence and the validity of victim's claims.
                          What we should all be concerned about is that someone is automatically guilty and banned from an organization for life, with no fair trial. And that such accusations can be made anonymously is very disturbing. Sadly, we have seen this mentality a lot lately, mainly with politicians and in Hollywood. And how many of those were later recanted?
                          If GM or any of the others are found guilty, then yes, by all means, they need to be punished. But before receiving a fair trial? We are not living in the 1600's and the Salem Witch Trials anymore.
                          If you could list all the misrepresentations of the safe sport process in one post, this would be a good start. It only misses the overt victim blaming
                          Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post

If you could list all the misrepresentations of the safe sport process in one post, this would be a good start. It only misses the overt victim blaming
                            I hope people realize the overt victim blaming will not be tolerated. THAT makes my head explode....

Comment

• @LoriT

I would be concerned about that. Fortunately, it's not what happened here. GM was banned after notice of and an opportunity to respond to the claim or claims, after investigation, and determination of the credibility of the allegations. The whole process is laid out on the SS website.

Comment

• Originally posted by Room for a Pony View Post

Eight hundred years ago few people in Europe were literate. There isn't the original source material available to draw that kind of conclusion. I would be very curious to know where the author was able to dig up witness testimony records that were able to survive the Black Death, literally hundreds of years of wars and conflict, not to mention deteriorating materials from the environment and insects. Whoever wrote the book you are reading has an agenda. And yes, it is off topic.
                                It's from the very detailed records of an Inquisition in the very far South of France, and detailed in a book called Montaillou. The inquisitors avoided torture whenever possible and recorded long talk sessions with those they were interested in. There is good bit of discussion of sex and sexual norms.

Here's the Kirkus Review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...land-of-error/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiramit View Post

Good. If it's true then bring them all down.
                                  X1,000,000.
                                  "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Originally posted by rollingabout View Post

If the evidence shows he’s guilty then he should stay banned. Those who didn’t report it and knew are guilty as well. You’re way too emotional about this. Think logically.

What if he’s innocent?

I trust evidence. I’m a scientist therefore think logically and not emotionally.
                                    As a scientist, surely you are familiar with the concept of parsimony.

GM has been given a lifetime ban. GM is either guilty or innocent. In order to be innocent, it must mean a) that someone accused him falsely (intentionally with malice OR due to some type of delusion), AND b) that the SafeSport investigation was crooked AND/OR incompetent. What is the likelihood that any of these are correct?

At the point of accusation: making a true accusation against anyone, never mind one of the most powerful and influential people in the sport, is intensly painful and unpleasant. Making a false accusation out of malice to "get" someone is incredibly risky -- you will be interviewed over and over; your story will be gone over with a fine-toothed comb. You betcha that they'll be looking for evidence of buried grudges, ulterior motives, etc. If you are crazy or delusional, your story will probably reflect that and won't hold up. Is it parsimonious to think that the accuser(s) are malicious or deluded? Probably not, but even if they are, let's move to Step 2:

At the point of investigation: SafeSport knows that their rulings can be appealed, and that hastily or sloppily applied sanctions will quickly lead to the death of SafeSport. They also know that the bigger the fish, the more attention paid to the catch. So, here they are going up against a celebrity with a cult-like following (many of whom are deep-pocketed enough to mount one heck of an appeal). Is it parsimonious to think that SafeSport (which has issued lifetime bans in only a small percentage of cases investigated) was unusually sloppy/incompetent/malicious in imposing this ban, knowing the stakes involved? I'd guess that's pretty improbable, too.

So on one hand, you've got TWO improbable circumstances that have to align for GM to be innocent --a false accusation (unlikely) that is accepted as true after an investigation (unlikely). On the other hand, we've got a process that is subject to review and appeal that has come down with a very strongly stated guilty decision (lifetime bans are reserved for the most egregious offences). Which is the parsionious choice?

We all like to think that we are the rational ones, and that those who disagree with us are illogical or emotional. But isn't it possible that there's a lot of emotion in wanting to see a "hero" vindicated?

Demanding to see evidence isn't proof that you're being rational; it just shows that you are suspicious and sceptical. I don't demand to see evidence that an elevator has been recently inspected before I get in it -- unless I have reason to be suspicious that it might break down. If your suspicion is not parsimonious, then it's founded on something other than rationality and logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

Homosexuality is completely separate from pedophilia. Also, you can’t “raise a homosexual.” You are or you aren’t.
                                      There is absolutely no scientific PROOF of the universality of the latter statement at all. Environmental factors have traditionally been thought to have had significant impacts on sexuality.

Comment

• Originally posted by vineyridge View Post

There is absolutely no scientific PROOF of the unviersality of the latter statement at all. Environmental factors have traditionally been thought to have had significant impacts on sexuality.
                                        OK, while this is an interesting discussion, it has zip-all to do with the topic at hand.
                                        "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

• Originally posted by vineyridge View Post

There is absolutely no scientific PROOF of the unviersality of the latter statement at all. Environmental factors have traditionally been thought to have had significant impacts on sexuality.
                                          Considering I’m straight raised by lesbians, bull. Homosexuality isn’t strictly how one has sex.

Comment

Working...
                                          X