Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Spratt_air 1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

George Morris on the SS list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankly, it's about time.

EVERYONE knows. I can't imagine anyone who has been paying attention, is shocked to hear about this side of GM.

What was it someone said on one of the first SS threads about JW? "So the first big domino falls.."

Many, many more to be toppled... if SS can ban someone that most of the equestrian world previously thought was immune, imagine what else will come out of the woodwork. GM's victim[s] stepping forward will likely pave the way for the rest of the industry's victims to feel safe/have a platform in which to speak out against their abusers. After all, if a cultural icon can be toppled...

There's many more out there, who also deserve SS bans.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

Which facebook thread?
      The CoTH article on this.

Comment

• There's so much vitriol on both sides. NONE of it should ever be directed to the victim. Ever. But I don't think people who would like to see changes in Safesport are in the wrong, either. It's NEW. Of course there are bugs that need to be ironed out. So stop with the "what about the victims/you don't care about the children" the second someone has a concern or wants more information.

And if I see one more reference to PV or BW as examples that a ban won't kill someone's business? They were big names to start. People are concerned about those who aren't big names as well. Sure, those two kept a thriving business after a ban. Not many others can.
        Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

• Originally posted by specifiedcupcake View Post

There's a new documentary out called At the Heart of Gold regarding the gymnastics scandal and all the mishaps that allowed Nassar to abuse girls (sometimes with their parents IN THE ROOM) for decades.

I'd be interested in the reports/suspensions vs. membership totals as a statistic.

There's a lot of argument about the reporting and investigation process, but in reality only some 45% of reports are investigated (they won't investigate anonymous reports for example, because likelihood of it being malicious)-we never heard about that 55%- and only some 3% of total reports result in an actual suspension.

Common arguments being thrown around right now:

1. "It was so long ago!" - well yea but does that mean all the catholic boys, or victims of jackson/cosby/weinstein/nassar have any more or less valid protection?

2. "Standards and times were different!" - GM is pretty open about his bi/homo-sexuality. This literally could have gotten him lynched by the mob due to the attitudes of the time, as even consensual sex was illegal in most states until 1979 onwards. I imagine this played a role in making reporting both impossible and dangerous. Sex with minors also has a LOOOONG history of being illegal and morally objectionable. Straw man here.

3. "Why wasn't it reported sooner to proper authorities?" - see above, see Larry Nassar.... and also think about if you would report your boss or coach if you thought it would ruin a promising/hopeful career.

4. "But he never abused me!" - and my uncle never abused me, but it turns out he abused two of my brothers and my mother's brother and who knows how many others. Cognitive dissonance sucks, but sometimes that's just reality that otherwise good people can do bad things to other people.

5. "Constitutional rights!" - USEF is a private club and they are cleaning house to ensure higher standards of professional conduct within the industry.

5b. "Due Process! Innocent until proven guilty!" - again, private club, not looking at a prison sentence. Burden of proof is lower. Further, its SUPER common in industries with vulnerable people (hospitals, schools, churches, police etc) for someone accused of misconduct to be suspended until proven innocent in order to protect others. Can you imagine the sh*tstorm USEF would be in if someone else was molested while they took two years arbitrating with someone accused of pedophelia? Like... I would take them to the cleaners if my kid was victimized after someone had been openly accused of abusing kids.

6. "Safe Sport is a witch hunt" - see my comments on the low % of investigations that move forward from initial report, and even lower rate of punishment (again for those at the back, like 3% of total reports have resulted in suspension). Also, the term witch hunt is a joke because witches don't exist- sexual predators do.

7. "They don't release details. I need details to be convinced!" - sorry, but you're not judge and jury and unless you plan on heading the USEF it's really not your business. The privacy around names and allegations is meant to protect BOTH victim and accused. It is not our place to say "was that type of touching bad enough to bring down my idol".... part of Safe Sport's charter is specifically to remove protections provided by notoriety in insular sport communities. Realistically, what would the average person do with these details anyway, other than call the victim ugly names? See Hilary Ridland's post where she's told to rot in hell for offering the details the public BEGGED FOR.

8. "SS is ruining careers" - plenty of people have lucrative horse careers outside the bounds of USEF
          This is my favorite post in all these threads

Comment

• It is quite clear that many many many in the horse community with still fight each other to shovel their money into George Morris' ts pockets even after his withered corpse is cold and buried.

I'm gonna keep saying that.

Going forward, young professionals, don't groom and assault minors because hopefully there aren't many who will achieve this untouchable in the hearts and minds of our sick community status
            Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by 541hunter View Post

https://mobile.twitter.com/SarahMasl...52204866990081

here’s the post and her responses re: forthcoming story. I’ll be following closely, that’s for sure.
              Thanks, following
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• I'm not a fan of Robert Dover but here is what he shared on Dover's World. I guess others in the equestrian community may pick a side as well.

"I’ve known George since I was a kid myself and actually met Robert Ross at Hunterdon in 1988 when Robert was 22. He was there for his second time for a week-long training session and George was kind enough to give him a room to stay in. Robert was and still is very handsome but asked if George was ever inappropriate with him either time he was there, he will tell you NEVER. George will say, like most men his or even my age, the 70’s especially were a crazy time and men and women, gay and straight, did crazy things. It was not called the “sexual revolution” for nothing. But retroactively attempting to judge one’s behavior in today’s world based on those times, what was for instance, going on in Studio 54 or Studio 1, is not only impossible but is unfair.
                Now, rape is rape, regardless of the decade in which it happened and anyone found guilty of it should be charged with the crime. But something deemed “sexual abuse” today, brought by an accuser who may themselves be worthy of a stronger look into their behavior and who most likely would have to have been alone when this allegedly took place, put into the context of almost 50 years ago, is setting up a precedent for disaster. I hate that my friend, George, is going through this but it is even bigger than George and so in standing with George, I am standing up for the rights of us all and calling for Safe Sport to be overhauled. We need to protect our youth and all our athletes in sports but with a correct system using the rule of law and jurisprudence."

Comment

• there has been ongoing discussion behind the scenes regarding GM for YEARS. Long before Safe Sport and long before ousting these pedophiles became the "thing". When Safe Sport came about, there was a lot of speculation within the industry if GM would ever find himself in this spot due to his popularity and historic significance in the sport. These concerns questioned if Safe Sport would have integrity to do so and hold no one to a higher standard.

I am happy to see that Safe Sport is leaving no person immune to the consequences of their choices. This is what the sport needs.

GM is still free to do the appeals process. He will do so. He has the right to do so with this due-process.

With that being said, Safe Sport does not assign permanent ineligibility to someone "just because". there is due-process that these investigations must follow and it is conducted using skilled investigators outside of the sport world. Investigators with no ties to the horse world have conducted an investigation and had justifiable cause to issue the sanctions that they did. This isn't a process that is taken lightly, rushed or jumped to conclusions.

Judging by the fact that GM hired a PR firm and had a well-versed statement compiled, he was well aware of the investigation and likely knew exactly what was about to transpire. I knew something like this was going to come about after his book dropped more information than one should in their professional position. When you brag about sleeping with thousands of men and then drop hints of such despicable behavior, you basically place a target on your back for an investigation. And if any one of his former victims took offense to those written words in the book, you bet they are going to use it as ammo to fight him.

I fully understand that GM is from a much older generation. A different world and time where things like this were kept hush-hush and swept under the rug. But even in that era, pedophile behavior was still wrong and against the law. For many of these victim minors; the pressure to win and follow their dream to the top of the podium forces them to keep silent when they are put into this disgusting scenario; and the adult conducting the acts knows it and uses it as a form of power.

It saddens me that people within the industry will shout "Witch Hunt" simply because its GM; he has fame and money and historical significance to the likes of Jimmy Williams. Let it be known that no person, regardless of wealth and fame, should be exempt from receiving punishment for such actions with minors. If this was local Regular Joe at the local rated "C" show, not one person would speak up in his defense, actually quite the opposite.

There has been discussion for years about the potential history of GM's behavior behind closed doors. I don't want to see anyone's life ruined, but I am happy that Safe Sport is doing their job and leaving no person exempt from investigation and action. On the other side of the coin, we must think about the victim(s) in these cases and how this has affected their lives for decades. Being the whistle-blower against someone with the fame of GM cannot be taken lightly and I am not sure I could be the one to do it if I was in that position.

GM has plenty of financial backing and a cult-following. I am sure we will see this enter the court system. I will be waiting to see how this progresses and where it goes from here.

Comment

• As I said, Robert Dover asks a friend if he was sexually assaulted by George as a young adult (22).

Friend says no.

Ergo, Rob concludes George Morris did not assault adolescent boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
                      There's so much vitriol on both sides. NONE of it should ever be directed to the victim. Ever. But I don't think people who would like to see changes in Safesport are in the wrong, either. It's NEW. Of course there are bugs that need to be ironed out. So stop with the "what about the victims/you don't care about the children" the second someone has a concern or wants more information.

And if I see one more reference to PV or BW as examples that a ban won't kill someone's business? They were big names to start. People are concerned about those who aren't big names as well. Sure, those two kept a thriving business after a ban. Not many others can.
                      What bugs, in your opinion, need to be ironed out?

Comment

• Originally posted by specifiedcupcake View Post

There's a new documentary out called At the Heart of Gold regarding the gymnastics scandal and all the mishaps that allowed Nassar to abuse girls (sometimes with their parents IN THE ROOM) for decades.
                        I just saw this documentary a few days ago and it was chilling. A perfect exposition on how well-liked, supposedly ‘nice’ guys get away with heinous sexual assaults on minors and individuals over which they have power. Several women tried to report his crimes over the years and they were all coerced into ‘rethinking’ their experiences. It didn’t get the criminal case it deserved until it was brought to the media.

Times were different ten, twenty, fifty years ago. But not because sexual misconduct with minors was acceptable. The shame society imposed on victims made reporting sexual assaults and going to police incredibly difficult. People preferred to look the other way rather than accept these things were happening within their own bubbles. One of the most heartbreaking victim statements in the Nassar case was from the daughter of one of his friends, whose father committed suicide when he realized what Nassar had done, after years of not believing his own daughter had been one of Nassar’s victims from the age of six.

The terms ‘witch hunt’ and ‘McCarthyism’ with respect to Safe Sport really boil my blood. As others have pointed out on this thread, that is not what SS is about.

Comment

• Anyone calling GM a pedophile is jumping the gun here. There are a plethora of things that can get you banned by safesport that have nothing to do with sex with young children. The training goes through them, better than the documentation put out by SS, which is severely lacking.
                          I would be more inclined to say that he is banned because of his ongoing bullying, which is a safesport violation!

Comment

• This ESPN article was shared over on the Rob Gage thread - If you have not read it, take the time and read. It's both excellent journalism and a powerful reason for something like SafeSport. The coach was well-liked, but a master at making sure no one knew what he was doing, until suddenly, his victims discovered they weren't alone.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ormer-olympian

As for George Morris, if we took away "trainer" and replaced it with "Catholic Priest" - would people still be saying SafeSport is so unfair?

Comment

• Originally posted by TooManyBays View Post
                              Anyone calling GM a pedophile is jumping the gun here. There are a plethora of things that can get you banned by safesport that have nothing to do with sex with young children. The training goes through them, better than the documentation put out by SS, which is severely lacking.
                              I would be more inclined to say that he is banned because of his ongoing bullying, which is a safesport violation!
                              The SafeSport and USEF sanctions list literally say sexual misconduct involving a minor.

Comment

• George isn't a pedophile, to split hairs, TooManyBays you are correct.

He's an ephebophile. Also illegal. Also, what was the trigger word on rob gage? appalling?

It astounds me even though I know it shouldn't the number of people who with their own name and face openly and publicly support these predators.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                                  Someone took a screen shot of Andrew’s vile post and put it on the Facebook thread. Thankfully the moderators deleted it here.
                                  Many have apparently complained. I called and that thread is under a microscope. Standards for both should be the same. Forums are well moderated and Facebook should be equal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post
                                    As I said, Robert Dover asks a friend if he was sexually assaulted by George as a young adult (22).

Friend says no.

Ergo, Rob concludes George Morris did not assault adolescent boys.
                                    The list of people I have 0 respect for is growing immensly.
                                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by 541hunter View Post

The SafeSport and USEF sanctions list literally say sexual misconduct involving a minor.
                                      To be fair the legal definition of a pedophile has an age limit of 11.

TooManyBays it’s not a ban for bullying or whatever. It literally says sexual misconduct with a minor.

Comment

• Originally posted by TooManyBays View Post
                                        Anyone calling GM a pedophile is jumping the gun here. There are a plethora of things that can get you banned by safesport that have nothing to do with sex with young children. The training goes through them, better than the documentation put out by SS, which is severely lacking.
                                        Read. The. Charges.
                                        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

To be fair the legal definition of a pedophile has an age limit of 11.
                                          lol either way, it definitely ain't a case of getting a little too stern with a clinic rider.

Comment

Working...
                                          X