Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

EREP-2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Learning to jump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to jump

Hi guys! I was recently told by my trainer that I will be starting to learn how to jump at the trot while I learn to perfect my canter. I was supper excited to hear this as I have always wanted to learn how to do showjumping. While I learn how to do that I will be showing in equitation classes walk/trot. basically I wanted to hear any tips on how to learn how to jump. I would also like to know of any good helmets that I could use for my jumping lessons.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!

You can buy any new, certified, helmet at the local tack store that fits you. Some helmets fit oval heads, others fit round heads, so try some on to find one that is both comfortable and secure on your head. There are lots of good brands that are relatively inexpensive like Troxel. Be sure to replace it if you come off and fall on you head, and treat the helmet itself carefully.

As far as learning how to jump, I would say that you need to listen to your instructor, follow what they tell you, and be a good student. At this early beginner stage of riding, the more hours you can get in the saddle the faster you progress, so if you are capable to ride independently outside of a lesson, see if you can do practice rides on a lesson horse in addition to your lessons. Right now your main task is developing the balance for an independent seat, and you might find some longe lessons with no stirrups are a big help too.

Comment

That's exciting, and it's fabulous that you're a dedicated student. For now, I would recommend following your trainer's advice and instruction. It can be hard to evaluate the quality of advice from strangers on the internet when you're just learning a new skill.

However, in the meantime, watching rounds from the Maclay finals on YouTube is a great way to start visualizing the end goal for proper and effective equitation.

Comment

To supplement your jumping education from your instructor, I suggest getting some books. Go to a local book store and find a few instructional books on English riding that include jumping. The internet is great for watching videos and that is also a good supplement as well (and attending local horse shows as a spectator too). And when you see/hear/read something that you have questions on, ask your instructor for clarification.

Good luck to you. Jumping can be so much fun!
        ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Also, enjoy riding as many school horses as you possibly can. Those horses are going to be your teachers. Don't rush out and get a horse. I have noticed you had quite a few inquiries on old ads in the Giveaways section here. Now is not the best time to get a horse. Wait till you have more experience, then buy a horse that fits your riding level. Enjoy.

Comment

Don't buy a horse as a beginner. The horse that is safe for you now will have limits for what you want to do in 2 or 3 years. Ride lesson horses and then move up to a half lease on an appropriate horse when time, finances, and riding skills level permit. You especially do not want to get a giveaway horse, because except in exceptional circumstances, there is a reason such horses are free. They will have physical issues, medical issues, limits on what they can safely do. I have seen *so many* beginner or returning riders on budgets ending up with cheap/free horses that have issues that make it harder for the rider to learn to ride (behavior, training, physical).

Comment

Congratulations on learning how to ride. But I'm concerned when you say that you are going to buy a helmet just for jumping. You must be wearing it every ride, every time. If you are attending a riding school where helmets are not required for all mounted activities, that is a signal that it may not be a good-quality riding school. There are many great places where you can learn how to ride, you should pick one that values safety above all else.

Comment

Originally posted by HungarianHippo View Post
                Congratulations on learning how to ride. But I'm concerned when you say that you are going to buy a helmet just for jumping. You must be wearing it every ride, every time. If you are attending a riding school where helmets are not required for all mounted activities, that is a signal that it may not be a good-quality riding school. There are many great places where you can learn how to ride, you should pick one that values safety above all else.
                ^^^ THIS. I thought I had misread the question. You wear a helmet EVERY time you ride. If your coach does not insist on that (and practice it themselves), he or she is no proper coach.

Comment

Originally posted by HungarianHippo View Post
                  Hoping they have been using a borrowed helmet and now feel they are ready for their own

Comment

Originally posted by bluepece2 View Post

Hoping they have been using a borrowed helmet and now feel they are ready for their own
                    This is what I assumed too.
                    But HungarianHippo's advice is good.

Comment

I assumed that as well, about the borrowed helmet, but I'm still a bit concerned someone has been riding for a fair amount of time and the trainer hasn't stressed the need to get a properly-fitting helmet for the OP. It's not enough to simply have a certified safety helmet on the head, it needs to be properly fitted. It doesn't need to be the most expensive on the market, but it needs to fit, and it's a necessary investment. For example, Troxels just don't fit my head, and the only make I've found thus far to suit me is Charles Owen. Other people I know love Troxels and it fits them well. Helmets also expire after five years or a hard fall. Plus, not to be gross, but there are hygiene issues with shared helmets. Sorry for the rant, I just always get a bit nervous when I see big boxes of very old, crusty "loner" helmets at riding schools.
                      Check out the latest Fortune's Fool novel, Courage to the Sticking Place!

Comment

The helmet you buy should be the one that fits you best. Going to a tack shop and trying them on is a great way to find the best one for you. I really like the Ovation Deluxe Schooler. It's not anything fancy, but it's very reasonably priced and comfortable, and is a good fit for an oval shaped head. I rode in Troxels for years before that, but those are better for more round head shapes, so they didn't fit me as well. Definitely replace it if it takes a fall (why I like going for a cheaper helmet for schooling; they all have to meet the same standards so none are any less safe than the rest, and I've taken a fall in a helmet literally one or two days into owning it and had to replace it before). Helmets also expire generally every 5 or so years, as the materials inside disintegrate over time. Helmets have a date of manufacture on the inside that you should go by rather than purchase date, and I would try to make sure to get a newer one, as sometimes they sit in the tack shop for a year or so. Make sure never to leave it in extreme heat or cold, especially in a hot car, and try not to drop it.

As for learning to jump, I second the advice saying to listen to your instructor and try to get as much time in the saddle as possible! I've pretty much started from scratch after nearly a decade away from hunter/jumper and just following my trainer's advice and trying to ride as much as possible has helped a lot.

I definitely agree with the advice to stick with lesson horses for awhile, too, and then maybe move onto a lease before eventually buying. Your trainer should have some pretty good advice on when the appropriate time to lease or buy would be. Scribbler said it best, also about the free horses as well. Take this from someone who is pretty much stuck paying for a horse I inherited from a deceased loved one who is not trustworthy under saddle, is older, and is too high risk to sell without the likelihood of ending up somewhere bad (and I'd never forgive myself if I let that happen; I love the horse, but it's a very frustrating situation). It's expensive, can really be a headache, and sometimes it's not easy to get out of if it doesn't work out. I wish I could use that money for extra lessons or to do a partial or full lease on a schoolmaster!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! To clarify : I have been wearing a helmet every single time that I have been near or on a horse. When I said that I wanted a helmet just for jumping I meant that I can use for jumping lessons and borrow a helmet from the barn during practice rides and other lessons. There is no way that I would ever ride without a helmet as I know that it can llitterally save my life.

Comment

Originally posted by KingRocker4Life View Post
                            Thanks for all the advice! To clarify : I have been wearing a helmet every single time that I have been near or on a horse. When I said that I wanted a helmet just for jumping I meant that I can use for jumping lessons and borrow a helmet from the barn during practice rides and other lessons. There is no way that I would ever ride without a helmet as I know that it can llitterally save my life.
                            Once you have a helmet of your own, why would you still borrow one? There aren't specific helmets for jumping vs riding on the flat. As long as the helmet is certified, you can wear the same one for everything. Your own helmet is always best because you know how it has been cared for and that it hasn't been compromised by a fall, drop on a hard surface, being left in a hot car, etc. Plus it's not full of other people's old sweat!
                            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by furlong47 View Post

Once you have a helmet of your own, why would you still borrow one? There aren't specific helmets for jumping vs riding on the flat. As long as the helmet is certified, you can wear the same one for everything. Your own helmet is always best because you know how it has been cared for and that it hasn't been compromised by a fall, drop on a hard surface, being left in a hot car, etc. Plus it's not full of other people's old sweat!
                              Yes exactly. Get a helmet that fits so well you don't remember you are wearing it and wear every time you ride and take care of it. Why would you wear a borrowed helmet if you have your own?

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't know. I guess I would just wear the helmet that fits me then.

Comment

I don't know. I guess I would just wear the helmet that fits me then.
                                  Buy your own helmet as soon as you can.

Comment

Okay, I'll ask what nobody has yet:

You say you will be trotting to jumps "until you perfect your canter".
                                    What problems are you having with canter?

I hope you & your trainer both understand that a jump is really just a canter stride, and when you land from any height jump - even the teeniest X - your horse will want to continue in canter.

Is the plan to trot to and halt immediately after the jump?
                                    Or continue in canter so you can "perfect"(?) that gait.

Agree your first purchase should be a helmet of your own that fits you & is ASTM approved
                                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

• Original Poster

they are gonna have me trot to the jump, jump it, and then canter after the horse and I finish the jump.

Comment

they are gonna have me trot to the jump, jump it, and then canter after the horse and I finish the jump.
                                        Yeah, this is pretty standard, both for beginner riders and for green horses. After a bit I expect the coach will add a second element to the sequence so that you trot into one crosspole, canter a set stride length to the second element, and jump that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X