Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bridles for Big Ugly Heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bridles for Big Ugly Heads

I've known for a while that my oversized bridle is not an ideal size, but a few nights ago my husband snapped a photo of me on my mare and I realize now that not only does her head make the bridle look the equivalent of a string bikini, it's just not fitting well.

The crown/cheeks are seemingly fine and i have plenty of room for adjusment there, but the noseband is an issue. We're at the last hole there and the head piece/hanger/strap is about an inch spaced from the cheek pieces. So I mostly just have a cavesson problem. Browband could be a little bigger, headpiece does lay on her ear bulbs a little bit.

I'd like to stay with traditional noseband but i don't think I'd like a plain cavesson. Padded at least. I wouldn't mind trying a figure 8/grackle, but those tend to make heads look bigger I think?

And I really do love my mares big head. I think it's gorgeous but it's funny, people constantly refer to her as "him"

Bigger straps, particularly nosebands, tend to tone down coarse or "ugly" heads. Of course, no telling what we are dealing with without a picture.. I am a sucker for horses with BFHs... aka Big Fat Heads.

I find that narrow nosebands and patent look can really make them look like a cart horse. Subtle bling on the browband like pearls or mirrors -- not crystals -- make a comely head seem more stately.

With the BFHs, some things:
    - Extra big browbands - they usually have big temples, which means they need more browband space - curved browbands make their temples seem less coarse and broad, and also offer more room so the bridle is not pulled forward onto the ears
    - Thicker and padded nosebands, but not huge - avoid patent as it draws attention to their nose

These specs in mind, some bridles that fit well on ugly heads:
    Passier Ingrid Klimke with the Special Caveson.
    Kieffer Andromeda
    Stubben 2800
    Stubben 2010
    Eponia Ginger Bridle

Additionally, rolled bridle with a thicker noseband can be a good uniform look.

Some things that will make a bridle less flattering is an improperly fit bridle. Too thin a browband will pull the bridle forward and part the cheek-pieces, making gaps. Too long cheek-pieces or too low a bit, will make the bridle seem flapping and not uniform. When adjusting the cheek-pieces, the buckles should always align near or with the eyes -- any lower or any higher, and it makes a less clean look.

IME with the coarse heads, the less busy in terms of buckles and straps, the better. I prefer hook/stud cheek pieces vs buckle for that reason.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I just typed all this assuming it was in dressage forum.. but I see you are a hunter jumper... Ooops. I guess this info is not very relevant to you, sorry!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

^^^But relevant to others! . It's a good post.

Comment

https://www.doversaddlery.com/ovtn-d...RoCqwwQAvD_BwE
        Custom tack racks!
        www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Originally posted by beowulf View Post

EDIT: I just typed all this assuming it was in dressage forum.. but I see you are a hunter jumper... Ooops. I guess this info is not very relevant to you, sorry!
          Well that explains the "patent" I was wondering about that.

Comment

I would look for a wider but perhaps unpadded noseband. Aramas makes one that I like a lot for its design. https://www.doversaddlery.com/harmoh...le/p/X1-12773/
            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I have a horse with a big fat head. I have a beautiful Edgewood for shows with a thick nose band and it looks stunning. I also have a Smart Pak brand that I use for schooling that I like. Obvious not the same quality as the Edgewood but still a nice bridle for a decent price.

Comment

I had a wb with a giant moose head, we tell him to stop pushing people around with his giant moose nose (he's my bffs horse now). When I was doing hunters on him I put him in a wide nose band rodrigo pessoa bridle and it was really pretty on him. I think wide nosebands really help balance out large blocky heads.

Comment

A wider cavesson does look better on a big head.

Perhaps this https://www.doversaddlery.com/ovatio...le/p/X1-12768/

I've always thought that the large head looks best in a wide flat cavesson, but I realize that they are out of fashion and are not what you want.

Comment

I'm also a fan of the Ovation wide un-padded noseband for big and coarse heads. I recently came across this bridle in the same style which is a better price if you're price conscientious. I have had other KL Select pieces and found the quality to be good for the price.

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/KL_S...age-KLBSB.html
                    A blonde & her hunter:
                    www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

I was also going to suggest KL. I like the Red Barn Ocala wide nose. The leather quality is usually quite nice.

https://www.klselect.com/bridles/hun...-ocala-bridle/

Comment

Originally posted by HJdaydream View Post
                        I'm also a fan of the Ovation wide un-padded noseband for big and coarse heads. I recently came across this bridle in the same style which is a better price if you're price conscientious. I have had other KL Select pieces and found the quality to be good for the price.

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/KL_S...age-KLBSB.html
                        I have this bridle. Purchased new off of eBay. It's lovely.

Comment

Edgewood! I tried a few other brands but the wide, padded noseband helps to cancel out all the “real estate.”

Comment

If your looking for low budget shires make some wide nose bands

Comment

Working...
                            X