Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Jumping a gaited pony?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping a gaited pony?

I set up some very small cross rails for my Paso to jump. He did really well. Gives a nice steady canter. He tends to drift through the corners a bit, sometimes doesn't pick up his hind feet over the jumps. He does the line in about 8 strides. He doesn't seem to get hot or rushy which is really nice.

I would like to try some gridwork with him, but i have no idea what spacing to use. He doesn't know his leads either. I slow him every time he gets it wrong. He was such a basket case of nerves when I first got him, i completely ignored any canter work... We focused solely on calm down, chill, relax, and trust. Walk-gait- whoa repeat. And lots of trail rides. Canter used to be an explosive gallop followed by one rein stop. We did walk five steps whoa, trot five or ten steps, whoa....Then one day the canter just magically appeared. A nice, controlled canter. Finally.

He's jumped on trails, but never in an arena. He doesn't have much respect for pvc poles. I'm thinking of switching them out with wood ones.

He seems pretty interested in the jumps, especially compared with flatwork. He may never be a show pony but I'm hoping to have some fun with this.

He's about 14 hands and takes very tiny strides. He has to canter to keep up with my horses when they trot. He doesn't seem to get upset if he knocks a pole and he doesn't seem fearful of the jumps. I plan on keeping things low and progressing nice and slow. I don't want him to regress back to the mess he once was. I'm actually hoping the jumping will give him something to focus on.

He doesn't like flat work and would be a terrible dressage horse- any pressure can be too much with him. He really hates leg pressure - I've worked at it and while I can give aids, he just isn't very tolerant of leg. We have just started working on lateral movements and vertical flexion at the walk. But it definitely is not something he enjoys.

The right lead is difficult for him under saddle. He definitely prefers left. He does both leads just fine on the lunge so perhaps it is me. I was taught to turn the nose to the outside when asking for canter, but i know that isn't used as much now. Perhaps i should try the opposite? He really doesn't have good departures, but after trying so hard to teach him- Do Not Break into Crazy Gallop- i can understand why he might be reluctant to canter on cue.

​​​​​​

Why are you wanting to jump an animal who does not canter on cue, does not consistently hold his leads, and will not accept leg? Why is he ready to jump?

none of the above is personal or an attack. I would ask the same of you face to face.

Comment

I don’t remember them off the top of my head, but there are standard stride lengths for small, medium, and large pony hunter classes. Looking those up will give you a sense of how much shorter you might set your lines for your pony.

However, having a quality canter (and the flatwork/dressage basics that go into that) is the foundation for safe jumping. Not that you can’t play around with poles or x’s for fun, but I wouldn’t get into grids or anything of height without giving him more time and training to improve his acceptance of “pressure” and his canter.

Comment

Second the above comments on needing a good canter and needing to be able to actually use your leg, but if you DO jump, please please please do not use PVC poles. Go buy some landscape timbers at the very least, they are usually 4 to 7 bucks at like Home Depot or something. I hate when people use PVC.

Best bet would be to google grid lengths for large ponies, but I highly suggest:

1. Sort out the canter and leg pressure issue. Could be pain related, check for ulcers. If not, that's a big training hole you need to fill. For canter, don't turn the head to the outside. Use your body, inside hip more forward, turn YOUR shoulders more to the outside when you ask for a canter depart, there are a few different tricks to help get your body in a good position to ask. Might not be a bad idea to get a trainer in to help you.

2. Get some wooden poles or landscape timbers. You can start with trotting (if he has a trot) and cantering poles on the ground if you want, just make sure if they are round you have a block or something to put the pole on to keep them from rolling. If he doesn't do a true two beat diagonal trot, could just canter poles. Probably about 10 feet apart, maybe 9 if it's a really short stride.

3. For a simple thing to get you started if you really want to play with it, set up a small "grid" of three or four trot poles spaced probably about 3, 3.5 feet apart for a 14h gaited pony (if he trots), then maybe 6 or 7 feet to a small crossrail. If he doesn't trot, you could probably do just a single pole, 6 or 7 feet to a small crossrail. The distances might need to be adjusted, for a horse it would be 4 to 4.5 feet for trot poles and 9 feet from the last trot pole to the crossrail for reference. Trot/gait in, jump, canter away calmly. If he gets too excited cantering away, then add a halt after every jump a few strides away.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you Rain Weasley- that was what I was looking for. I already picked out some wooden poles. I don't really like PVC at all.

As for leg pressure- he is an extremely sensitive guy who was badly manhandled before I got him. A light touch is all you need with him. I'm assuming he was previously ridden in spurs and those nasty Paso Fino Bits. He is better with light contact- I can get passive leg pressure on him at the trot and I do a lot of rubbing his sides with my leg at the halt and walk. For some reason rubbing his sides seems to soothe him so I do that when he gets anxious about something. But as far as cues go, it doesn't take much to get a response.

Right now we are just going over really tiny stuff. The jumps and natural obstacles on the trail are much bigger than the little stuff we are doing in the yard. I put cones up at the end of the jumps and that is where we stop. Trying to keep it simple for him. Baby steps.

What I like about him, is that he is actually a fairly self confident little guy- not very spooky. People make him very anxious, but as for riding in the woods, he doesn't spook at anything. Anything not associated with the former abuse, he actually learns very quickly. I'm hoping he approaches jumping with that same outlook.

His whoa is very very solid. I don't worry about stopping him. He is not a malicious horse in any way- he doesn't buck or pull pranks. He has a tendency to get anxious and go forward. I knew once I could get him past the anxiety, we could start working on other things. The fact that he is cantering calmly in an arena is a huge milestone for him.

He has been treated for ulcers twice. I'm thinking of putting him on a maintenance dose, just because he stresses easily if you change his routine.

Comment

Dunno that introducing jumping is a great idea for him right now at all. Not setting him up for success here. The grid in particular. Pasos have a very short, soft step. They are bred and built for it their brains are hard wired for it. They also typically do not have the conformation to engage behind, rock back and support their weight pushing off over anything bigger then a lope over. Kind of back end to do that does not allow the short, soft step but does allow the rock back and push off, you find in a totally different type horse with ability for different skill sets bred into them.

While going over a single obstacle, like a log, is a great skill for any trail horse, Think trying to construct a related distance Grid with this Paso at this time is not in his best interests and is likely to confuse and frustrate both of you. Not now, maybe later.

After he develops more skills and gains more confidence you might re examine things. He’s had a tough past, you need to keep it simple for him, not challenge him. Not if he finds flatwork too much pressure. You need solid flat work skills to execute any grid, without them, you risk ruining his confidence. I mean, if he tries to drift out or go around- as many will try when being introduced to grids-how are you going to steer? What if he rushes and you can’t slow down?

Do you have a knowledgeable trainer who can help you build his flatwork skills?

Have a suspicion he isnt sensitive at all at all but just does not know how to do the kind of flatwork needed to get around a course of jumps or down a grid, Nibody ever taught him that so he just doesn’t know. He got taught enough to gait around. Nothing else. He needs to go back to kindergarten and learn the basic skills of regular, non gaited flatwork like responding to leg pressure and rein aids. He just doesn’t know.

Keep that in mind when you make choices for him. He’s never been taught. He wants to please you but he just has never learned what you are asking in the flatwork. You need to teach him that first. Only then challenge him with a grid.

Or just love love him for what he was bred and built for and can be very good at, a very comfortable riding horse.

You say he has to canter to keep up with “ my other horses”? Why not learn to jump a grid one of your other horses?
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Conformation isn’t everything. Is this horse going to go win hickstead? No. But no reason to discourage reaching a horse a new skill.
              It sounds like he isn’t bending both ways equally. I would put four poles on the ground, in a large circle. I attached a photo to show what I am saying. They have it at 100 ft apart, but I would do smaller, more like 60 or 70 ft. Walk the poles both ways until he bends equally in both directions. He should be looking to the next pole, not at everything else around him. His body should make a C shape in the direction you are going. When he is completing that nicely, raise the poles just a touch so they are cavaletti and repeat at the walk and at the gait, so long as he can confidently get over them without kicking them. Again, once he is bending correctly, canter the circle. Eventually you can raise them past cavaletti height, but I wouldn’t until he is really bending and using his body.

This is the exercise I use on my ponies when they decide that they don’t like cantering on the correct lead. Sometimes you have to be creative with ponies because they are usually so naturally balanced that they don’t natually ‘get it’ like horses tend to.

Comment

That’s a great exercise....but maybe not with one that gets upset with leg pressure and has trouble going right at the moment. Later, yeah. By all means. Once the tools are there to help him instead of get him upset at leg. Same reason working over a grid with related distances isn’t a great choice. YET.

Comment

You are very busy pounding a square peg into a round hole.

When you tell us that his canter aid includes pulling his head outside, you're telling us that you have no understanding of the mechanics of canter, or he was badly trained. And pulling ihs head to the inside without correct supporting aids may not be too useful..

I had a Paso breeder come and watch a dressage lesson as she wanted to bring horses to compete in dressage. She decided against it.

In order to handle a grid or do any jumping a horse must be able regulate stride length. That ability has been carefully bred out of them.
                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

You said that better then I did merry.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                      That’s a great exercise....but maybe not with one that gets upset with leg pressure and has trouble going right at the moment. Later, yeah. By all means. Once the tools are there to help him instead of get him upset at leg. Same reason working over a grid with related distances isn’t a great choice. YET.
                      I should have specified, but that exercise isn’t to be completed in a day, or even a week. That may be a month long process to get from walking the poles to cantering the cavaletti.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                        You are very busy pounding a square peg into a round hole.

When you tell us that his canter aid includes pulling his head outside, you're telling us that you have no understanding of the mechanics of canter, or he was badly trained. And pulling ihs head to the inside without correct supporting aids may not be too useful..

I had a Paso breeder come and watch a dressage lesson as she wanted to bring horses to compete in dressage. She decided against it.

In order to handle a grid or do any jumping a horse must be able regulate stride length. That ability has been carefully bred out of them.
                        Bingo. Bingo. Bingo.

Comment

"Horses for Courses." Let this little guy be the BEST gaited trail horse he can be. Many resources out there, both online and in print, to help you. A book called "Easy Gaited Horses" is where I would start.

If you want to jump, borrow or take lessons on something more suited to the job. Not saying he can't pop over a log here and there on the trails, but showing is asking him to practically change species. Sounds like a good instructor for any or all of these activities might be a sound investment. Your guy sounds cute--enjoy him!

Comment

If he's physically able to actually jump over the little obstacles, and isn't just wading through them, I honestly don't see the harm in popping him over some little things, IF he enjoys it.

Do you need a correct, balanced canter to jump well? Usually. But we're not talking about showing at the A shows here. As a kid, I rode dozens of harness racers (standardbreds) off the track. Some sort of learned to canter, after a fashion. Some never did. They are entirely not built for it. But, it was surprising how many of them could jump, and seemed to really enjoy it. We mostly jumped them over logs out on the trail, but sometimes small stuff in the ring too. Many could jump surprisingly well out of an awkward tranter. I look at old photos of them now, and you might be shocked at the nice shape some of them make over a fence! So I disagree that you necessarily need a purpose-bred horse to jump little jumps, or that gaited horses can't jump at all.

For your guy, my suggestion would be to grab a friend who's an experienced jumper, and have him/her watch you from the ground. Get a brutally honest opinion on whether your pony is physically able to pop over a jump, or not. If he gets confused, upset, hot, can't seem to get his back legs out of the way etc., I would drop it completely. If he's one of those Pasos with incredibly delicate toothpick legs, I would also be very cautious. But if he stays calm and enjoys it, then do whatever he seems comfortable with. Bear in mind that grids require quite a bit of strength, and might ultimately be too much for him. But if you decide to try it, start with poles on the ground. Set them a distance apart that he can comfortably put a canter stride between them, and go with that.

Comment

I jump my twh. This is not (for me) anti-
                              gaited jumping... this is a super tense, tight moving, inverted Paso being asked to do something he's not going to be good at. It just feels greedy.

Comment

Working...
                              X