Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

koi pond
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spruce Meadows - the horse who gave his all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spruce Meadows - the horse who gave his all

As I’m reading through FB post after FB post about the horse who won the 500k queen elizabeth cup (3 rounds) and then was entered the next day in the 1.60 jumper derby (which in itself is a tough class) had 28 faults, could barely jump, I watched the video and felt a string of mixed emotions - horrified, extremely sad for the horse, and angry that this is what our sport is - it was no longer about the horse here it was about greed.

I have read the posts stating “everyone makes mistakes” - yes everyone can have a bad round but forcing your horse to jump that many jumps when he’s clearly exhausted (and not pulling up once you realize it) and he has a heart of gold and just won a HUGE event for you is just devastating!

So sad and I hope a lesson is learned, and I’m glad the horse is “ok” - but it angers me to see such greed and selfishness taking over this industry. My horse will always come first.
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Where is the video?

Comment

That is disgusting. I don't even need to see the video, as you can see the results at SM website as evidence he had the gall to even run the horse the day after a big win. That is no horseman. Bad day? Mistake? No that was greed. It is amazing what people overlook when someone is winning.
      where you invest your love, you invest your life

Comment

What made me absolutely nauseous was the post on Instagram stories of the horse being tacked up for the derby looking absolutely exhausted and you can hear them laughing. It's shameful.

Andy made some comment that other horses had won the queen's cup and then won the derby and some nonsense about wanting to complete the course for showmanship or some garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by BLBGP View Post
          Where is the video?
          Roy Wilten posted the round, as well as a snap from ECJ's instagram where they're making fun of the horse being tired beforehand. (To be fair, from what I've read, the owner is fairly clueless but Andy should've known better!)

Gutted because I used to look up to him as a rider who could "get it done" even on a tough horse.

So sad that some people don’t know when it’s enough and how to take good care of their horses after winning a big 5 * 1.60m at Spruce with 3 heavy...

Comment

Watched what I could bear from the video, any rider with their salt would've pulled up, knowing that it wasn't the horse's day. he had no shot of placing. I wish I had the wear-with-all to yank that horse away from him and give him the home and rider he deserves. I was ambivalent over Kocher as a rider -didn't feel one way or the other about him. I am no long ambivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628
              While I get that it's fun to throw someone under the bus, Andy posted a lengthy statement on his page about his poor decision and how much he regretted it, I believe it went up on the same day as the derby happened. I'm not condoning anything, but he made a bad judgment call, acknowledged it, and hopefully will learn from it.
              Are you referencing the post form July 8th on his public fb page? I am not sure I would personally consider that a "lengthy statement about his poor decision making" . It ready to me like a brief mention where he blamed the poor performance in the derby on Carrollo being inexperienced over those types of jumps and feeling anxious. He does apologize for making "an entry mistake" which is nice.

Screenshot attached for convenience since his FB page is public and anyone can look it.

Attached Files
              A blonde & her hunter:
              www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

HJdaydream I went and watched the videos after posting, which prompted me to delete my first comment on this thread as I no longer feel that his actions are defensible in any way. Unfortunately, you must have hit quote before I did so.

I was thinking of my own experiences (and poor judgment calls) in asking a horse to jump around when I probably shouldn't have, but those were far less egregious than what I saw in those videos.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                  HJdaydream I went and watched the videos after posting, which prompted me to delete my first comment on this thread as I no longer feel that his actions are defensible in any way. Unfortunately, you must have hit quote before I did so.
                  Ya the video speaks for itself - inexcusable! Entering the horse after it won big for you is bad enough but then not pulling up when he was clearly struggling was just icing on the cake.
                  He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Comment

He wrote something about some horse/rider combinations having won both the QE cup and the SM derby in the same weekend. Really? Who?

Comment

It was terrible horsemanship. His apology was lame, Roy said the horse has done derby classes before, he wasn’t inexperienced. And really after everything that horse did the day before he thought he’d need to finish the course?

Comment

That will suck the try right out of a good horse. Jumps his heart out the day before, then a 28 faulter. Why would any horse still be a trier?
                        You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                          That will suck the try right out of a good horse. Jumps his heart out the day before, then a 28 faulter. Why would any horse still be a trier?
                          Exactly. Even from a self-interested perspective, why on earth would you do this to such a valuable, wonderful horse and risk damaging him physically and psychologically? It's treating a horse like a machine, not an athlete.

Check out my latest novel, Pride, Prejudice, and Personal Statements!

Comment

HJdaydream, I agree, his apology was pathetic.
                            And this was posted of another one of his stellar rounds:
                            https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/v...81-88839-1.mp4

Comment

Originally posted by Impractical Horsewoman View Post

Exactly. Even from a self-interested perspective, why on earth would you do this to such a valuable, wonderful horse and risk damaging him physically and psychologically? It's treating a horse like a machine, not an athlete.

IDK, I guess you can't teach common sense or empathy?

Comment

His Devon Grand Prix jump off was arrogant.

Comment

Originally posted by Impractical Horsewoman
                                  I just read his "apology" post on FB. Calling it an "entry mistake" sounds less like an apology and more of a "if only it hadn't been for you meddling social media kids, I might have gotten away with it."
                                  What is it that we say around here? When someone shows you who they are, believe them?

The entry wasn't an accident
                                  Tacking up wasn't an accident
                                  Schooling wasn't an accident
                                  Showing wasn't an accident
                                  Completing the class wasn't an accident

All driven with intent.
                                  Last edited by midstride; Jul. 12, 2019, 07:54 PM. Reason: Clarity
                                  where you invest your love, you invest your life

Comment

Originally posted by midstride View Post

What is it that we say around here? When someone shows you who they are, believe them?

The entry was a mistake?
                                    The schooling was a mistake?
                                    The showing was a mistake?
                                    Completing the class was a mistake?
                                    Exactly. Yes people make those kinds of mistakes when showing. They are not at this level. That’s not a mistake that’s arrogance.

Comment

I saw this on FB this morning, what a heartless, arrogant jerk.

For SHAME

“Shaming” people’s reprehensible behavior is underutilized in our modern society IMO - but maybe since everyone is now online, he can and will suffer some much deserved repercussions. Or one can hope!

i can’t imagine any owner wanting to put their horses with him after this, so with luck this will cost him money AND reputation.

Poor horse, I hope he recovers from this (in someone else’s barn!)
                                      "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Originally posted by bingbingbing View Post
                                        HJdaydream, I agree, his apology was pathetic.
                                        And this was posted of another one of his stellar rounds:
                                        https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/v...81-88839-1.mp4
                                        I've seen this video before, and I wondered if the horse was being naughty in some way, or if it was just hideous horsemanship, or what. Can someone who is more knowledgeable explain what we are seeing in this video?

Comment

Working...
                                        X