Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Braids in FEI Grand Prix classes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braids in FEI Grand Prix classes?

Watching the Grand Prix at Tryon tonight (what a venue here, might I say), and noticed a number of horses without braids.

Is there a point when they become mandatory in recognized Grand Prix classes? Asking out of pure curiosity and on mobile so apologies for not searching rulebooks, as I would normally before asking.
    Life and times of a mediocre amateur...
    www.another-bay.com

I never thought braids were a requirement for any division let alone jumpers.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
      I never thought braids were a requirement for any division let alone jumpers.
      Well for hunters braids does more easily show off a horse's developed neck muscles...

For jumpers I don't know the utility other than "it looks nice" but hoping someone more knowledgeable might educate us on what is likely a tradition.
      www.another-bay.com

Comment

Braids are not mandatory in any hunter, equitation, nor jumper classes. Grand Prix jumpers have gone braidless for years (for forever?), even in classes as big as the AIG $1millions and bigger.
        Custom tack racks!
        www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
          Braids are not mandatory in any hunter, equitation, nor jumper classes. Grand Prix jumpers have gone braidless for years (for forever?), even in classes as big as the AIG $1millions and bigger.
          Good to know! Thanks. They sure do look nice though.
          www.another-bay.com

Comment

They're never mandatory but sometimes people like dressing up for the big day. Really for the jumpers it's about how you want the photographs to turn out.
            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by Another-Bay View Post

Well for hunters braids does more easily show off a horse's developed neck muscles...

For jumpers I don't know the utility other than "it looks nice" but hoping someone more knowledgeable might educate us on what is likely a tradition.
              Okay wow. I answered your question, same as others. I’m knowledgeable enough to not have to post this question on a BB.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

Okay wow. I answered your question, same as others. I’m knowledgeable enough to not have to post this question on a BB.
                Hey - sorry - I do realize the way I wrote that could read snotty, not how I meant it at all. Only was opening the door for someone to answer with certainty or a rule reference, if there was one. I placed too much emphasis on "thought" in your response, clearly.

Certainly appreciate the answer, and I am not questioning your knowledge (which I am sure is vast). Merely me firing off a too quick response between watching rounds. My bad.
                www.another-bay.com

Comment

No rule at any level in the jumpers, as has already been answered. I've been showing my horse in FEI grand prixes for many years and have never braided him and never will. Just doesn't suit him. And also, I don't have grooms, so am often running like a crazy person trying to keep my regular horses (stabled in non-FEI stabling often across the show grounds) showing prior to getting to my horse in FEI stabling to get him ready to go for the classes. So all of that to say that there are a variety of reasons people don't braid, and my two are having a horse who looks better unbraided and lack of time.

Comment

Braids are required in the USEF rules for sidesaddle classes.

Other than that, braids are always optional for all hunter, jumper, and equitation classes.

Comment

It's a personal preference. For example, Beezie Madden never braids her horses.

Comment

Actually a lot of riders/grooms feel that braids or plaits prohibit a horse from stretching and reaching across the huge oxers or water jumps ...that what I was led to believe and I never plaited unless it was for the jog (and I had time) ..and I groomed at the 5* level
                        Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Comment

Easier to grab mane if it’s not braided, too. That was always my rationale for not braiding when I was showing in the bigger classes

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                            Braids are required in the USEF rules for sidesaddle classes.

Other than that, braids are always optional for all hunter, jumper, and equitation classes.
                            Manes can be roached and tails pulled in sidesaddle classes, too. I also think those details are required in the sidesaddle-specific hunter classes, since they have a large percentage going toward appointments. They also have rules about what kind of sandwiches and beverages are being carried in their sandwich case and flask. I *believe* those persons showing in other classes that happen to be riding in a sidesaddle do not need to follow the sidesaddle-specific appointment rules, so if somebody was showing Grand Prix jumpers aside they would not need to braid and have cucumber sandwiches, but I’m not sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Toblersmom View Post

Manes can be roached and tails pulled in sidesaddle classes, too. I also think those details are required in the sidesaddle-specific hunter classes, since they have a large percentage going toward appointments. They also have rules about what kind of sandwiches and beverages are being carried in their sandwich case and flask. I *believe* those persons showing in other classes that happen to be riding in a sidesaddle do not need to follow the sidesaddle-specific appointment rules, so if somebody was showing Grand Prix jumpers aside they would not need to braid and have cucumber sandwiches, but I’m not sure about that.
                              There is no rule to have a cucumber sandwich in the Grand Prix. The rule is for the class, not the tack.
                              You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Working...
                              X