Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

untitled (115 of 123)-Edit
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Does this saddle fit me? / Stirrup question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this saddle fit me? / Stirrup question

For the past year or so, I've been struggling to keep my leg at the girth. I went from a cheap Crosby PDN that was giving me a chair seat to a Barnsby Espirit and am now having opposite problems. My leg is always slipping back and after having tried a bunch of suggestions to improve this, it hadn't gotten much better. I can do exercises like up up down and two point easily and when I drop my stirrups, my leg naturally goes into the correct position. I've also tried tying my stirrups to the girth and while it feels kind of weird, I am able to ride pretty well like that but it's not translating back when I untie my stirrups.

So now I'm wondering if it could have something to do with my saddle fit. Based on these pictures, does anyone have any input on my saddle fit and/or stirrup length? Or any other suggestions on how to fix this?

I also wonder if my stirrups are hindering me in some way. I switched from Herm Sprenger flex stirrups to Korsteel irons where the footbed just flexes down a little to help get your heel down. But maybe these stirrups are allowing me to flex too much without actually getting enough weigh in my heels?

The two photos with ribbons are of my most recent saddle. The one without ribbons is a few years old from our first show and has my old Crosby saddle.
    Thanks for any suggestions!!
    Barnsby with Korsteel irons Barnsby with Herm Sprenger irons

Maaaaaybe the flap is on the long side for your leg? The placement of the stirrup bars can make a big difference, too. I'd have a saddle fitter out or at least try borrowing a few saddles to try before I worries about the stirrups. Saddle fit makes a huge difference. I rode for 2 minutes in my daughter's saddle and thought I was going to fall off! 😂

Comment

Do you have pictures or videos of your leg sliding back in the Barnsby?

Comment

MacKK : The Barnsby Espirit is my FAVORITE saddle! So cool that you have one. I had a medium (3-tree), sold it, bought a 4-tree, then needed a narrower one, again, and wished I had kept the medium. iMHO, from the photos: the PDN did have you in a chair seat. The Barnsby position looks good! Is the transition from leg-in-front-too-much to leg-where-it should-be part of the issue? If you are used to riding in a way where you were always pulling your leg back, since the saddle put it in front of you, then it's maybe a different feel and balance now. I hope someone with more experience chimes in here. Anyway, welcome to the Espirit club! We are a small but mighty group ;0.

Comment

I had this problem in my old saddle that was too small for me and had the wrong flap. My lower leg constantly wanted to slip back. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like your current saddle might be a half size or so too small, with too big of a flap that has your leg searching for a place to be. There is so much flap in front of your knee, and it looks like not much seat behind you. It could also be from riding in such a way that your leg slipped forward and now you're stuck subconsciously pulling it back. Try to get videos of your riding so you can see what is happening in real time. But I kind of think this new saddle isn't the best fit for you.

Comment

I would say that if you drop your stirrups and your leg goes into the correct position that you need to work on more no stirrup riding (unfortunately!)

That says that it isn't the fit of the saddle necessarily, but moreso how your muscle memory is acting with your feet in the stirrups. I don't think tying your legs is a good solution nor is it safe

You could explore a stirrup change as well. Switch back to your herm sprengers and do a *lot* of stirrup-less work.

I don't think your saddle doesn't fit you. It may not help you with your problem, but I think it's unfortunately how you're just riding right now! I have a left leg that loves to swing. No stirrup work and one stirrup work always helps. It always hurts too

Comment

Leg slipping back sometimes means that your upper body is too far forward. When you drop your stirrups, this is virtually impossible. Thus, your upper body and leg go to the correct position. I second Tipzythegreat's comment about no-stirrup work. It hurts so good!

Comment

IMO how your saddle fits on your horse has more to do with your position than how the saddle fits you. A rider with a good solid position can do just fine in a saddle that has all the wrong measurements for them but fits the horse great. But trying to get your leg underneath you when the saddle is sitting unbalanced on the horse's back is a whole different ball game.

Comment

Random thought... I went through a very long period where my lower leg would be oddly back despite my upper body not being tipped forward. We finally realized I was somewhat unknowingly clenching behind my knee. Does that make sense? I was engaging the tendons that run up my leg in such a way that I was basically bending knee whilst riding, causing my lower leg to come back. As soon as I thought about “keep your thigh closed, let your leg just dangle from the knee down, THEN close your calf to the horse’s side” I got it to stop. You don’t keep your knee bent. The stirrups do.

Comment

I bet you that riding in those Sprengers gave you incorrect muscle memory. In my experience, people who ride with spring stirrups tend to put more of their weight in their toe instead of their heel, because your leg was searching for stability and not finding any. So, different muscles got built up. When you balance in your toe, the whole picture is tilted forward and your leg swings back.

I suggest finding some plain jane stirrup irons to start. If you need special stirrups because of joint issues, just make sure the footbed doesn't move. Royal Rider plastic stirrups are great; I don't have much experience with Jin/other high end brands however.

If you're worried about not having your heels far down enough (which it sounds like you are, based on the current stirrups you're using), focus on picking your toes UP instead of forcing your heels DOWN - this keeps your center of balance in your heels and keeps enough tension out of your leg where you can still give cues.

Comment

Can you stand straight up in it without falling forward or back?
                      "Do what you can't do"

Comment

I agree with OnDeck. Your saddle is the right size for you. Your knee bends nicely and sits right in the middle of the knee roll but isn't too forward. It is your position that is wrong. Try lengthening your stirrups a notch or two to help slide your but forward while maintaining the right bend in your knee. Also get a saddle fitter out just to check and ask your trainer about your position and how YOU look in the saddle.

Comment

People above telling you the saddle fits you from your photos at a standstill aren't really being helpful. I have one saddle that appears to "fit" me great. It's comfortable, my leg fits on it perfectly, I look awesome at a standstill, or even at one constant speed. However, it throws my balance slightly forward on most horses, which means I'm perpetually calibrating my balance against the saddle and having to think about "waterskiing" through my transitions just to stay balanced. My position over fences was suffering. I still have this one because I ride a variety of horses and like another fit option, and at this point I'm pretty adept at adjusting my position in spite of the saddle, but its definitely not my everyday saddle. I switched my stirrups to ones without any flex to make this easier. Incidentally, I got this one after my old Crosby that put me in a chairseat. too.

My newest saddle fits my hard-to-fit guy great, and my balance is neutral. Not having to counterbalance all the time lets me just balance and RIDE, and its been wonderful.

It's a bit of a Goldilocks experiment, and I agree with on deck that even if it appears to fit you, the way it fits your horse really matters here.

Comment

Working...
                          X