Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Trainer driving me crazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainer driving me crazy

I own a small not fancy (I like it that way) barn. I mostly offer self and full board. I do things a bit different though. All horses stay out 24/7 unless storming or too hot (95 and above). I don't feed hay in the summer unless they are stalled because I have an over abundance of grass that we keep sprayed for weeds and fertilized. I have one full boarder who also rides with my trainer. They pay a reduced board based off a deal that was worked out years ago.

My trainer knows how I operate and she knows I don't care to change it. I work a full time job outside the barn and don't want to or have the time and money to run it the way she would like.

Now said pony of full boarder is now unable to be out 24/7. He is getting hay am and pm now and costing more on power, feed and labor (cleaning stall twice a day every day). I have expressed that we may need to increase board. All I get in response is texts saying "pastures need.....", "I'm spending my own time and money to paint jumps" (which I didn't ask for), "when are you going to do....".
    I'm over it. I am considering getting rid of barn and horses. Its become unenjoyable and I feel unappreciated for what I actually do.

any suggestions?

Is the issue that you want to maintain decorum with your trainer? If not, why not give them both (full boarder and trainer) ultimatums? It's your property; you can do things your way.

Comment

If it were me and I felt this burned out, I'd think about getting rid of the boarder and trainer.

It sounds as if they are expecting to take advantage of the nice amenities you are offering, but also want full board stall care on the previous "pasture board" care price.

Since this increased level of care is not packaged into your cost[s], it should reflected in your new board care costs on the start of the new month. Since you are now providing additional services, you should be compensated for them.

Any extra care or service provided outside of what is on the original contract should have an additional charge (you decide what makes it worth your while to do) for services rendered -- trainer/boarder can either pay up, or pack up.
      AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes. My trainer and I own a pony that we plan to sell together.

Comment

Is this coming from the owner or the trainer?

Honestly I think you are over-reacting from one grumbly demanding client when your program runs fine otherwise. Your mistake was to start accomodating this client if it runs counter to your business model and costs.

What you say to client is: "My business model is 24/7 pasture in summer. It has worked for a long time. I don't have the time or energy or resources to do stall board and hay in the summer. I realize that this pasture model may not work for all horses. I will accept your 30 days notice and you can look for a barn that better suits your needs."

In other words, you fire the client. You don't change your whole business model.

Realize that if you make concessions for one client, all the other clients will start wanting their own concessions.

If this client is now costing you more than its worth, then you are better off with an empty stall for a few months than continuing to let her push the envelope on what she can get for free from you.

Comment

Don't discuss with trainer. Trainer is not your client. Discuss with the client and basically tell them to go back to pasture board or move on to another barn that suits their current needs better.

Keep your own relationship with the trainer out of this.

Comment

Your barn, your property, your rules. I would give the client an ultimatum.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you. Yes I'll talk with boarder. Unfortunately the pony now has a medical condition that will keep him unable to be on grass like he was previously. I understand their predicament....but I still don't have the resources to make it happen for them.

Comment

It sounds like your first step is to clearly identify the problem(s), before you can hope to craft a solution.

The "easy" approach is to give this boarder notice that it is time to move on to another facility. This will reduce the time and expenses associated with this particular horse.

But your posts suggests there may be other issues here. First, your title says that the trainer is driving you crazy not the boarder. What is the issue with the trainer? Second, it seems like perhaps your boarder had a discounted board rate for reasons associated with the trainer. Does the trainer only travel if there is a minimum number of lessons/rides and the boarder is making it worthwhile for the trainer to travel? Does providing notice to the boarder mean that the trainer will no longer travel to your small facility? Third, there seems to be an investment pony with the trainer, but its unclear how that is affected by the boarder's horse requiring full care board.

Basically, we need more information before we can provide meaningful input. If the issues I've guessed at aren't actually issue at all, then an ultimatum/giving the boarder notice to leave is the easy answer here.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                    Don't discuss with trainer. Trainer is not your client. Discuss with the client and basically tell them to go back to pasture board or move on to another barn that suits their current needs better.

Keep your own relationship with the trainer out of this.
                    Unfortunately the trainer inserts herself when I tell the boarder something and they run to the trainer, who in turn tells me that I can't or shouldn't do that. I in turn feel like I work for trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredofBS View Post

Unfortunately the trainer inserts herself when I tell the boarder something and they run to the trainer, who in turn tells me that I can't or shouldn't do that. I in turn feel like I work for trainer.
                      Tell the boarder that they have 30 days notice to move their horse and stand firm. If they overstay that 30 days, let them know there will be a 50$ a day charge.
                      Just ignore the trainer. It has nothing to do with them.

Comment

well, you can of course shut down your board&train business if you wish. That's totally up to you! If your problem is with an increasing cost to without increasing payment from them, then you can either charge more $ or give them a notice. As far as the trainer getting to you....no one is irreplaceable. I never allow threats to intimidate me....quite the opposite actually. Try to hold something over my head = "we're done!"
                        Consistency, Insistency, Persistency

Comment

You are perfectly within your rights to increase board if the workload for you goes from pasture board to stall board. The time for that conversation is when they say, "The vet says he needs to be stalled for x time per day," at which point you reply "OK, but please be aware that the extra stall cleaning involved will be charged at $y per month." That is perfectly fair.

However, while I get being burned out, I think we need to revisit the difference between "basics" and "extras".
                          Cleaning a stall twice a day for a pony that needs to be in it (whatever you charge for this service), isn't an extra, it is a basic. If the pony needs to live in it, it needs to be cleaned.

Similarly, you seem to be annoyed that the trainer is painting your jumps. Let me ask you - are these jumps she gets to take along when she leaves, or are these your jumps? If they are your jumps, you should be maintaining them. If the trainer is painting them because she doesn't want to teach lessons or take sales pictures over homeless looking jumps, she is in fact doing work that really you should be doing as an owner of jumps. I have a washer and dryer in my basement that I allow my downstairs tenants to use free of charge. If downstairs spends their own time and money fixing my washer you BET I would get a text about it. If something breaks, I fix it, because it's MY washer and dryer. I also don't leave random parts of the property sloppy or unmaintained. The shared front and back stairs stay neat, if a sink clogs I unclog it, if something needs to be painted, it gets painted, if there are signs of rodents I call the exterminator, the front lawn and back yard are regularly mowed ...WELCOME TO OWNING SHIT.

You're also annoyed that she is texting you about what the pastures need. Were you not just saying that you prefer to offer 100% pasture board? Well then you BETTER BE maintaining the pastures! Yeah, the fence SHOULD BE shipshape and safe. Persistently boggy areas SHOULD BE filled in with item 4 or whatever else. Water troughs SHOULD BE cleaned regularly. You SHOULD BE mowing. You SHOULD BE whacking down the weeds along the fence line. You SHOULD BE making sure the gates don't have any sharp points or rusted areas. You SHOULD BE picking manure if there are heavily manured areas. OFFERING PASTURE BOARD MEANS YOU MAINTAIN THE PASTURES.

Your barn does not need to be fancy, but it does need to provide basic horse care. People get the basics and the extras confused. Cleaning the stall every day that a horse lives in it is a BASIC. A washer/dryer in the barn is an EXTRA. Performing standard maintenance on your jumps is a BASIC. Waxed sand footing and a boxwood hedge around the arena are EXTRAS. Mowing the pasture and maintaining the fences are BASICS. Providing HAY is, I'm sorry to say, a fairly standard BASIC.

If you are too burned out to provide basic horse care, you probably should close the operation. By the time you start dismissing basics as "fancy extras" and finding every excuse to do as little work as possible, it's time to get out of the business of caring for living creatures.
                          The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                          Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                          Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                          The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

You are perfectly within your rights to increase board if the workload for you goes from pasture board to stall board. The time for that conversation is when they say, "The vet says he needs to be stalled for x time per day," at which point you reply "OK, but please be aware that the extra stall cleaning involved will be charged at $y per month." That is perfectly fair.

However, while I get being burned out, I think we need to revisit the difference between "basics" and "extras".
                            Cleaning a stall twice a day for a pony that needs to be in it (whatever you charge for this service), isn't an extra, it is a basic. If the pony needs to live in it, it needs to be cleaned.

Similarly, you seem to be annoyed that the trainer is painting your jumps. Let me ask you - are these jumps she gets to take along when she leaves, or are these your jumps? If they are your jumps, you should be maintaining them. If the trainer is painting them because she doesn't want to teach lessons or take sales pictures over homeless looking jumps, she is in fact doing work that really you should be doing as an owner of jumps. I have a washer and dryer in my basement that I allow my downstairs tenants to use free of charge. If downstairs spends their own time and money fixing my washer you BET I would get a text about it. If something breaks, I fix it, because it's MY washer and dryer. I also don't leave random parts of the property sloppy or unmaintained. The shared front and back stairs stay neat, if a sink clogs I unclog it, if something needs to be painted, it gets painted, if there are signs of rodents I call the exterminator, the front lawn and back yard are regularly mowed ...WELCOME TO OWNING SHIT.

You're also annoyed that she is texting you about what the pastures need. Were you not just saying that you prefer to offer 100% pasture board? Well then you BETTER BE maintaining the pastures! Yeah, the fence SHOULD BE shipshape and safe. Persistently boggy areas SHOULD BE filled in with item 4 or whatever else. Water troughs SHOULD BE cleaned regularly. You SHOULD BE mowing. You SHOULD BE whacking down the weeds along the fence line. You SHOULD BE making sure the gates don't have any sharp points or rusted areas. You SHOULD BE picking manure if there are heavily manured areas. OFFERING PASTURE BOARD MEANS YOU MAINTAIN THE PASTURES.

Your barn does not need to be fancy, but it does need to provide basic horse care. People get the basics and the extras confused. Cleaning the stall every day that a horse lives in it is a BASIC. A washer/dryer in the barn is an EXTRA. Performing standard maintenance on your jumps is a BASIC. Waxed sand footing and a boxwood hedge around the arena are EXTRAS. Mowing the pasture and maintaining the fences are BASICS. Providing HAY is, I'm sorry to say, a fairly standard BASIC.

If you are too burned out to provide basic horse care, you probably should close the operation. By the time you start dismissing basics as "fancy extras" and finding every excuse to do as little work as possible, it's time to get out of the business of caring for living creatures.
                            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

While I agree with meupatdoes, i also understand that there are levels of boarding facilities. You get what you pay for. I don't deal with disagreeable people very well either in any capacity. If i owned a boarding facility i'd weed out the unpleasant clients very quickly. And if i boarded, i would either feel like i was getting what i am paying for or i would quickly move to a better kept barn. In my experience, rarely does 'work for board' turn out well in the long run. I would not accept work for payment for something i didn't request or agree to at the onset....like painting. I have painted my own stalls at barns...bought redrock flooring and new mats. Had waterers fixed by a plumber i hired... And that was on me. I was improving what 'came-with' the rent i'd agreed to pay.
                              Consistency, Insistency, Persistency

Comment

If you are in any way interested in continuing boarding this pony I would set up a fee schedule and a true cost of boarding. If pony gets x,y,z it costs A. If you do chore 1 = B dollars deducted from board and so on. As long as you charge a fair board and pay a fair rate nobody should feel abused. If it sin't reasonable to keep the pony in, then as others said, you just need to let them know it's time to make other arrangments.
                                Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Thank you. Yes I'll talk with boarder. Unfortunately the pony now has a medical condition that will keep him unable to be on grass like he was previously. I understand their predicament....but I still don't have the resources to make it happen for them.
                                  And that is totally fine. You are not obligated, as a barn owner, to provide accommodations that may suit every single possible horse/owner/situation that may ever exist. You provide what you provide, they (pony owner and trainer) can accept it or find another barn to board at. Period. You'll have to be more firm with the trainer. It's your barn, it's not a co-owned barn or some kind of agreement where trainer is also BM, right? Your barn, your rules.
                                  Custom tack racks!
                                  www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

If you are offering pasture board and the pony cannot be on pasture for medical reasons, there are two options.

The client moves to another barn. Or you provide stall board, which IME is typically twice the cost of pasture board. If pasture board around here is average $300, then stall board is average $600. If the client or the client's trainer expects you to provide stall board for the cost of pasture board, then they are trying to take advantage of you.

There are legitimate reasons why a horse can't go on pasture (laminitis, injuries, obesity, etc). But there is no reason why *you* have to accommodate that particular horse.

Comment

Unfortunately, many horses have to be restricted from too much grass. If your business needs to be based on no grass restrictions, you may need to seek a different clientele often.

Comment

Yes. My trainer and I own a pony that we plan to sell together.
                                        So, the pony you own together is a different pony from the one that can't live outside?

If you want to be done with the trainer and full boarder, you could always work out a deal where she buys you out of your interest in the co-owned pony, or vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                                        X