Sport Horse Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Mystery bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emquestrian
    started a topic Mystery bit

Mystery bit

Is anyone familiar with this bit? I only have a side view, no mouth piece to go off of. I’ve seen it on a few horses and curious as to what it is, and what it does. No particular need besides an inquiring mind ) TIA! *picture attached*
    Attached Files

• findeight
    replied
    If people will pay that, it is good quality workmanship and materials? Why not? It a business. Something like an unjointed low port Mylar dee snaffle without hooks was around 100 some 10 years or so back. This PP has more pieces and more work on the mouthpiece. Might pay it I had the horse it was perfect for.

Its fine to cite flatwork but if you have one trying to take you waterskiing off the far corner to the last fence, the course designers joke, the dreaded single oxer on the diagonal headed to the out gate 5 strides ahead? You might like being able to give horsey a little bump that won’t knock him off stride like a full half halt would.

Or the Derby course with a late in the course, forward, bending 8 strides to a 4’ wide oxer then 6 strides to a 4’ stone wall. Under the lights. Might need a little tweak there in the heat of competition without nagging or picking, experienced hunters can count fences and will try to light the jets and/or pull like a tractor when they get to 5 or 6. Yet are light and polite otherwise.

And thats one reason some might like this bit. Allows a light but meaningful split second correction in the show ring at the instant of infraction.

Having had sensitive horses, can see why they might like it as well, it’s the quick action then staying out of their way. So, yes, both types might go well in it and it might be an appropriate choice for a trained horse with an educated rider. Or like my last Hunter, sensitive for 6 fences and a freight train down the last line. Lord help you if you had to turn past the gate and jump more fences in a Classic.

Leave a comment:

• StormyDay
    replied
    Originally posted by OutsidersOpinion View Post
    The people on here saying go spend that much money in lessons have never shown a quality derby horse or high performance hunter. Do all 1.60/5* horses go in plain snaffles? No. They are strong and opinionated and athletic. A high quality hunter is no different.

I personally used that bit on a young horse in the show ring that is EXTREMELY sensitive in the mouth, and she loved it. I could stay out of her way until she got too greedy then quietly remind her that she needed to balance or slow down with 1/16 of the hand necessary in another set up. She has enough flat work to go win USET finals, but she's still exuberant about her job and needs a bit more bridle for the show ring. So do most horses.

That 1/16 of force necessary compared to 11/16 in a different bridle can be the difference between and 85 and a 92 in the hunter ring, where finesse is important.
    I have no problem with the bit, it’s not what I would immediately go to for training but as you say sometimes horses prefer one bit over another.
    My problem is with that is 500$ and there seems to be no real reason as to why.

Leave a comment:

• Nickelodian
    replied
    Originally posted by mroades View Post
    They are actually not harsh at all. They lie flat in the mouth and don't pinch the tongue at all.
    This.

Don't judge what you don't know. The lightest of light horses go best in this bit, as do some pullers. I special ordered one with a ball in the middle in a full cheek and it made one of mine go from a high 70s to a high 80s horse because he stopped curling up to avoid the bit and took contact. Horses love them, and they can be worth every penny for the ones that do. I mean really, we're scoffing at 470.00 bits when the horse's mouth they go in are worth 6 figures?

Leave a comment:

• mroades
    replied
    They are actually not harsh at all. They lie flat in the mouth and don't pinch the tongue at all.

Leave a comment:

• MyssMyst
    replied
    Originally posted by OutsidersOpinion View Post
    The people on here saying go spend that much money in lessons have never shown a quality derby horse or high performance hunter. Do all 1.60/5* horses go in plain snaffles? No. They are strong and opinionated and athletic. A high quality hunter is no different.

I personally used that bit on a young horse in the show ring that is EXTREMELY sensitive in the mouth, and she loved it. I could stay out of her way until she got too greedy then quietly remind her that she needed to balance or slow down with 1/16 of the hand necessary in another set up. She has enough flat work to go win USET finals, but she's still exuberant about her job and needs a bit more bridle for the show ring. So do most horses.

That 1/16 of force necessary compared to 11/16 in a different bridle can be the difference between and 85 and a 92 in the hunter ring, where finesse is important.
    I'm really new to hunters, but this makes sense to me. With my western Arabs, I school regularly in a rubber or otherwise very gentle snaffle. They know their job, and they'll do it readily, but a bigger port allows for a bit of extra drape, a little less hand motion, a lot more subtlety. Even my main ring hunters school in far less bit than they show in for that exact reason.

Leave a comment:

• OutsidersOpinion
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shedllybip
    replied
    The bit has been 'in' for quite a few years. And no it doesn't mean your horse isn't broke. Some horses just need a little bump from time to time instead of a contstant pull. We use it on my horse from time to time when he gets a little dragging me around and yes he is broke, but needs an occasional reminder to behave and not drag. I don't really find it to be a super harsh bit but can send a quicker / better reminder than a slow twist with us constantly pulling pulling pulling.

Leave a comment:

• eclipse
    replied
    It always surprises me that gags, elevator type bits etc aren’t allowed in the hunter ring, even though the actual mouth pieces may be an egg butt type bit (of course it may not be!) but just because of the “action” it’s not allowed.....but thin, sharp, harsh bits....sure....go right ahead! Why not just allow some of the other types of bits, and just maybe these harsher bits wouldn’t be needed!

Leave a comment:

• mmeqcenter
    replied
    I consider a thin twisted wire bit to be absurdly harsh, and the mystery bit (aka Pletcher) in this thread is no better.

Just because someone is an accomplished rider/trainer, that doesn't mean their tack choices/creations are above reproach.

Leave a comment:

• kashmere
    replied
    Originally posted by HJdaydream View Post
    Sure is a lot of hate and judgement being thrown around here, from what I suspect are people who have never had first hand experience with the bit.
    I don't know that hate and judgment is a reasonable characterization of the comments here. You're right that I haven't had firsthand experience with the bit, but I am an educated rider and horseperson and also... this is a message board designed to share ideas and opinions.

It's also not actually very difficult to draw reasonable conclusions about the action of a bit by looking at it. This is a very thin bit - and the little cut outs in the mouth piece have the effect of making it even thinner. Each edge of the cutout extremely thin and would exert a great deal of pressure on the bars. Beyond that, it would have similar action to most 3-piece Dee ring snaffles. The attachment of the mouthpiece to the rings looks like there's a lot of potential to pinch, and the configuration of the link in the centre also looks like it could pinch quite a bit - but again, overall the snaffle action is going to be just like a regular 3 piece/double jointed snaffle.

In particular, I was responding to the notion that these are "magic" and let the rider all of a sudden give an effective half halt. An effective and well ridden half halt comes primarily from the seat. If one has a horse who typically runs through half halts all of a sudden back way off because this bit has been put in its mouth - the effectiveness of one's half halts has not improved - the harshness of the bit has increased. Looking at this particular bit, I'm not surprised that a horse would back off if a sharp aid was applied. That would hurt, plain and simple.

I'm not judging anyone, let alone hating anybody for asking about this bit, or even using it. But my opinion above still stands - a bit isn't a replacement for a well schooled half halt.

Leave a comment:

• StormyDay
    replied
    Originally posted by dani0303 View Post

They're incredibly harsh while looking on the outside like a simple snaffle.

The Pletcher bit is for when your hunter isn't even remotely broke but you need it appear "pleasant" to ride in the hunter ring.
    That’s nothing new though. Those bike chain bits have been used for decades but they aren’t 500$.
    Is it just because it’s the new ‘in’ bit?

Leave a comment:

• staceymc
    replied
    It's great for one that leans. I wouldn't put it on a horse for a beginner, but for a good top level hunter rider it's a nice option to have in your tool box. Not sure if Peter developed it, but he definitely loves the bit and uses it on several horses that I've seen. Someone please go tell him that he would have been better served taking lessons and learning to ride.

Leave a comment:

• Foxtrot's
    replied
    Coming from someone who only uses a Nathe or Trust...

Even George Morris says a twisted wire snaffle is acceptable -- but he demands light hand and a horse trained on the flat.

Personally, never seen the bit in question.

Leave a comment:

• HJdaydream
    replied
    Sure is a lot of hate and judgement being thrown around here, from what I suspect are people who have never had first hand experience with the bit.

I have seen plenty in person and personally know many horses that got in them very well. It is NOT a razor blade. Thinner then a lot of bits? Yes. But the edges are rounded and smooth. While not for uneducated hands, I don't see them as being way more severe then a thin twisted wire for example. Horses I have witnessed going in them know their jobs quite well and don't need much hand at all. Keep in mind that the majority of hunter riders don't strap their horses mouths closed so the horse can make it evident if they feel the pressure if too rough.

This feels like a lot of "drama" compared to the set-ups seen in many other disciplines. Just my 2 cents though.

Leave a comment:

• findeight
    replied
    Originally posted by Daventry View Post

Flame suit on. For me personally, this is an unconventional bit and appears to be incredibly inhumane. This just makes me shake my head. I think the $500 would be better spent purchasing lessons and learning how to ride properly...or taking the time to get your hunter broke.

And hunter riders wonder why other disciplines mock our sport. :/
    .Be surprised how few riders in other disciples know little or nothing about the latest celebrity endorsed or designed majikal bits in Hunters. They are too busy buying the same thing in their own dicipine’s version with current celbrity du jour endorsement or design credit. It’s the same old same old regardless of the saddle and clothes.

Need to actually see this bit to pass judgement. Might suit some horses in some situations in the hands of a competent rider and it’s legal. Hunters don’t drop bridles. Often wonder about the level of involvement celebrity endorsers actually have in all these products their name is on. Got a friend who does barrels and she has a BNBR bridle, known Reiners with BNR bits and Im sure there’s celebrity endorsed Dressage and Eventing products out there too. Fir sure SP has celebrities endorsing their supplements who really don’t have a clue.

Anyway, nobody really cares outside their own disciplines and most know not to throw stones from their glass house.

Leave a comment:

• endlessclimb
    replied
    Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
    Anybody else think the center "figure 8" links could pinch the tongue in certain circumstances? Youch!

I just shake my head at some of these "custom" or "designer" bits that are all the rage. Just, why?
    They look like a couple chain links, which isn't necessarily bad. In a large way, the chain mouthpieces in the western world work a lot like a waterford. Not something you'd want to ride in every day, but serve a purpose at times.

That said, the profile shot of this bit looks like a razor blade. I've never seen something look so benign from one view, yet have the ability to be so severe from the other. Reminds me of those "piano wire" twisted wire tune-up bits I've seen in the (thankfully) distant past. Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• Arlomine
    replied
    God forbid someone actually learns to use their aids to balance a horse’s canter without needing a piece of fat wire in the horse’s mouth. Yuck.

Leave a comment:

• 4LeafCloverFarm
    replied
    Anybody else think the center "figure 8" links could pinch the tongue in certain circumstances? Youch!

I just shake my head at some of these "custom" or "designer" bits that are all the rage. Just, why?

Leave a comment:

• Daventry
    replied
    Originally posted by kashmere View Post

I don't think it's "magic" I think it's pain. That is an extremely thin bit which is going to exert an enormous amount of pressure on a tiny area of the bars.
    Flame suit on. For me personally, this is an unconventional bit and appears to be incredibly inhumane. This just makes me shake my head. I think the $500 would be better spent purchasing lessons and learning how to ride properly...or taking the time to get your hunter broke.

And hunter riders wonder why other disciplines mock our sport. :/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X