Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Mystery bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery bit

Is anyone familiar with this bit? I only have a side view, no mouth piece to go off of. I’ve seen it on a few horses and curious as to what it is, and what it does. No particular need besides an inquiring mind ) TIA! *picture attached*
    Attached Files

Looks like the “Peter Pletcher” tear drop bit.
    Custom Peter Pletcher bit. Also known as a figure 8 mouth bit & a tear drop bit. This unique snaffle uses a mild copper with a tear drop design with a loose link center. Now available at Farm House Tack.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Could be this.

https://www.quailhollowtack.com/prod...re-8-bit-brass
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Definitely a Pletcher bit. They are crazy popular and I see them on horses everywhere.
        A blonde & her hunter:
        www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

Originally posted by HJdaydream View Post
          Definitely a Pletcher bit. They are crazy popular and I see them on horses everywhere.
          Besides being extremely expensive for a bit, what makes them special?

Comment

Originally posted by StormyDay View Post

They somehow magically work on horses with both soft and hard mouths. You can gallop around a course and then just give a quick half halt to get a response that might mean the difference between a perfect distance or an ugly one. They're definitely not best for uneducated hands, but for those looking to finesse a hunter ride and make it look effortless, it's a great bit.

Comment

Good lord, look how thin that sucker's profile is. No wonder it works on hard mouthed horses.

Comment

Originally posted by StormyDay View Post

They're incredibly harsh while looking on the outside like a simple snaffle.

The Pletcher bit is for when your hunter isn't even remotely broke but you need it appear "pleasant" to ride in the hunter ring.
                Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                My equine soulmate
                Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
                  $470.00. That's incredible.
                  "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
                  - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post

$470.00. That's incredible.
                    I thought the same thing. Nearly $500 for a bit? It should come with a trainer for that price!
                    ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Originally posted by jhg140 View Post

They somehow magically work on horses with both soft and hard mouths. You can gallop around a course and then just give a quick half halt to get a response that might mean the difference between a perfect distance or an ugly one. They're definitely not best for uneducated hands, but for those looking to finesse a hunter ride and make it look effortless, it's a great bit.
                      I don't think it's "magic" I think it's pain. That is an extremely thin bit which is going to exert an enormous amount of pressure on a tiny area of the bars.

Comment

Originally posted by kashmere View Post

I don't think it's "magic" I think it's pain. That is an extremely thin bit which is going to exert an enormous amount of pressure on a tiny area of the bars.
                        Flame suit on. For me personally, this is an unconventional bit and appears to be incredibly inhumane. This just makes me shake my head. I think the $500 would be better spent purchasing lessons and learning how to ride properly...or taking the time to get your hunter broke.

And hunter riders wonder why other disciplines mock our sport. :/
                        www.DaventryEquestrian.com
                        Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
                        Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
                        www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

Anybody else think the center "figure 8" links could pinch the tongue in certain circumstances? Youch!

I just shake my head at some of these "custom" or "designer" bits that are all the rage. Just, why?

Comment

God forbid someone actually learns to use their aids to balance a horse’s canter without needing a piece of fat wire in the horse’s mouth. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by 4LeafCloverFarm View Post
                              Anybody else think the center "figure 8" links could pinch the tongue in certain circumstances? Youch!

I just shake my head at some of these "custom" or "designer" bits that are all the rage. Just, why?
                              They look like a couple chain links, which isn't necessarily bad. In a large way, the chain mouthpieces in the western world work a lot like a waterford. Not something you'd want to ride in every day, but serve a purpose at times.

That said, the profile shot of this bit looks like a razor blade. I've never seen something look so benign from one view, yet have the ability to be so severe from the other. Reminds me of those "piano wire" twisted wire tune-up bits I've seen in the (thankfully) distant past. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Daventry View Post

Flame suit on. For me personally, this is an unconventional bit and appears to be incredibly inhumane. This just makes me shake my head. I think the $500 would be better spent purchasing lessons and learning how to ride properly...or taking the time to get your hunter broke.

And hunter riders wonder why other disciplines mock our sport. :/
                                .Be surprised how few riders in other disciples know little or nothing about the latest celebrity endorsed or designed majikal bits in Hunters. They are too busy buying the same thing in their own dicipine’s version with current celbrity du jour endorsement or design credit. It’s the same old same old regardless of the saddle and clothes.

Need to actually see this bit to pass judgement. Might suit some horses in some situations in the hands of a competent rider and it’s legal. Hunters don’t drop bridles. Often wonder about the level of involvement celebrity endorsers actually have in all these products their name is on. Got a friend who does barrels and she has a BNBR bridle, known Reiners with BNR bits and Im sure there’s celebrity endorsed Dressage and Eventing products out there too. Fir sure SP has celebrities endorsing their supplements who really don’t have a clue.

Anyway, nobody really cares outside their own disciplines and most know not to throw stones from their glass house.

When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Sure is a lot of hate and judgement being thrown around here, from what I suspect are people who have never had first hand experience with the bit.

I have seen plenty in person and personally know many horses that got in them very well. It is NOT a razor blade. Thinner then a lot of bits? Yes. But the edges are rounded and smooth. While not for uneducated hands, I don't see them as being way more severe then a thin twisted wire for example. Horses I have witnessed going in them know their jobs quite well and don't need much hand at all. Keep in mind that the majority of hunter riders don't strap their horses mouths closed so the horse can make it evident if they feel the pressure if too rough.

This feels like a lot of "drama" compared to the set-ups seen in many other disciplines. Just my 2 cents though.
                                  A blonde & her hunter:
                                  www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

Coming from someone who only uses a Nathe or Trust...

Even George Morris says a twisted wire snaffle is acceptable -- but he demands light hand and a horse trained on the flat.

Personally, never seen the bit in question.
                                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

It's great for one that leans. I wouldn't put it on a horse for a beginner, but for a good top level hunter rider it's a nice option to have in your tool box. Not sure if Peter developed it, but he definitely loves the bit and uses it on several horses that I've seen. Someone please go tell him that he would have been better served taking lessons and learning to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by dani0303 View Post

They're incredibly harsh while looking on the outside like a simple snaffle.

The Pletcher bit is for when your hunter isn't even remotely broke but you need it appear "pleasant" to ride in the hunter ring.
                                        That’s nothing new though. Those bike chain bits have been used for decades but they aren’t 500$.
                                        Is it just because it’s the new ‘in’ bit?

Comment

Working...
                                        X