Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Exterior Front_4
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Saddle Fit for the wide, flat TB...on a budget. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Fit for the wide, flat TB...on a budget. Help!

So, pretty much what the title says. I apparently have a *very* thick 5 year old OTTB. Wide front to back, flat side to side, but not very wide side to side. With I’m now guessing a more set back shoulder and more forward girth groove. All in all a
    PITA to fit, lol! She’s also on the shorter backed side, and I’m on the longer femur-ed side. Oh! And I’m on a budget, so like $1200 is stretching it. And I’m around a 17”-17.5” for seat size.

I just got a Stubben Edelweiss NT with a 34cm tree and 17” seat to try, but I don’t think it’s quite right just seeing it sitting on her. It might be a bit too curvy once girthed up, and the billets might be just too far back, and it looks a hair narrow behind the shoulder. But, I haven’t girthed it up yet or ridden in it.

She measured an XW on the gullet gauge for Wintec, but they are all too wide/flat in the wrong spot in the back panels for her, or I would totally already have one.

With her width, almost everything affordable isn’t wide/flat enough, and nobody my size is apparently giving up their saddles, lol. Everything is either a 16.5” or a 17.5”/18”. And if the 17.5” are a bit on the roomy side, they are too close to being too long for her back

I’m betting a County would fit perfectly, but I haven’t been able to find anything close to my budget, or the right size! I don’t have easy access to any tack shops, and it’s not feasible right now to have a fitter out. If a wide enough vintage Stubben existed, I would jump on one of those, I borrowed one from a friend and love it!

Any ideas for where to look or brands to try? County, old Wintec, Bates, Tad, anything English, nothing French, something!? At this point I have a good looking pasture puff because I can’t find anything to fit her!

*Can post pictures/links to pics once I figure out the easiest way*
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Many of the English-made saddle brands should have workable options, and many can be found used on ebay UK less expensively than here, even with shipping. I have a Hastilow I acquired there that works beautifully on my wide, flat TB mare (as in looks more like a Morgan). Her dressage saddle is a Frank Baines - Reflex, I think. County, Hastilow, Frank Baines, Ideal, Barnsby, Albion, Kent & Masters, Black Country, may all be worth a look. Look for something specifically with rear gussets and wool flocking if you're dealing with a flat back.
    Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

Call Smith Worthington. They will work with you to fit you and your horse within your budget. They have a lot of nice saddles on clearance.
      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Try a Beval natural if you can find one in a wide tree.

I have a mutton withered TB who has a fat round back when he isn’t muscle wasting.. it also fit my big shouldered, fat thoroughbred as well.

My femur is about 20 inches and the regular flap fit well. I was riding in a Voltaire with 3AAA flaps.
        https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

• Original Poster

Dewey thanks for reminding me about SW! I didn’t know they might have clearance options! Pretty sure the mare has Lyme, so at this point what’s more waiting... ugh. I’m beginning to think I should just wait it out and save up more for saddles in the $2k range, my options go exponentially up in that bracket! It’s more than I can hope for to have one that fits the horse AND my leg, lol.
          "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Sorry to hear about the Lyme. Hope that gets cleared up soon. As for SW, they have some clearance saddles on their site; probably they have more than these in their store. The disadvantage of SW is that it is not a trendy brand and isn't an easy resale; the advantage is that its well-made and they will really work with you on fit.

Waiting for your horse to recover and get fit is a good idea, but don't forget SW when you do shop.
            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

I have a QH that sounds similar to your TB. Also 5, shark fin wither, but sort of plateaus off in the back, and wide. I had a saddle fitter out to check the fit of my (french) saddle and she can't make it work. She's coming back in a few weeks, but she told me pretty much nothing French will work, and thinks my best bets are Bates or Pessoa. She's bringing some out for me to try, but you could probably find one of them used in your price range. I stumbled across your post when trying to read some saddle reviews on the two. Good luck!!

Comment

• Original Poster

hokie98 the struggle! Your horse sounds similar to the Appendix I had as a teenager...she’s who started me on my saddle fit obsession! She was NOT an easy fit. I’d suggest you look for a County with skid row panels. They *do* make them in wide and extra wide with the SR panels, but they are almost impossible to find used.

I’ve hesitated on the Bates, just because I’ve read enough mixed reviews about the tree quality and CAIR quality, and they aren't as easy to find as you would think! Plus, I think a lot of them are built on a pretty curvy tree, so you have to be picky about what year you’re looking at. I almost bought an older Event model, but was too afraid of having iffy panels needing work. And they were all 17.5” seats, which can be too roomy for me if they’re on the flatter side.

As for the Pessoa’s, I’ve seen a good amount for sale, but a lot of them have more steeply angled back panels than I can work with. And apparently nobody parts with the Corto (flat) panels. Boo. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                X