Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Rob Gage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texarkana those situations should be reported. That’s how we got here.

Comment

• Originally posted by midstride View Post

Agree with this. And the fact AOF can't even repeat the name, or receive the backlash and threats of libel, even though it is the known gossip of the circuit. Everyone else gets to carry the burden of these creeps. Why do we do this? NO ONE IS THAT GREAT A HORSEMAN. No one is worth it.
      *zips flame suit*

Let me take this one step farther.

You aren't harnessing nuclear fission. You aren't solving climate change. You aren't helping the starving children secure a clean water and food source. You aren't coordinating or executing space missions. You aren't developing an alternate energy source. You aren't curing cancer.

No matter who these guys/gals are. No matter how good they are at their job. No matter how impactful they are to you personally.

THEY. TRAIN. HORSES. AND. RIDERS.

They are NOBODIES in the grand, global scheme of things. Their contributions will NEVER be earth shattering, no matter how great. Their expertise is so narrow that it is literally meaningless to 99.9% of the earth.

To put them on ANY sort of pedestal is just asinine when looked at from outside our little "horseworld" bubble. Sometimes reality is hard to swallow, but let's get real as these guys come and go. They really, long term, grand scheme of things, mean nothing. Stop revering them like they're a breed of god.

Disclaimer - even if you've harnessed nuclear fission, you aren't given a pass to be a deplorable human.

Comment

• Our industry and most sports for that matter is in a hard spot. I just met a young lady with Olympic aspirations in jumping. She is 15. I said to myself probably not going to happen since she is not a working student at a big barn this summer. Then I put that in perspective and thought what have I just said.? Should working students really be under 18? It is such a norm in every part of the horse industry.
        And I am beginning to question it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post

Wait a sec. I'm not sure you have this right and are inferring the right thing from oneequestrienne's post.

I asked someone about their argument that "people can change" over time. And I think it's public knowledge or an established fact that everyone accepts-- both those defending Gage and those defending the action of SafeSport-- that the crimes were committed "30 or 40 years ago."

And so I asked, "OK, but just how old was Gage when those crimes were committed: old enough to know better or a kid himself?" I knew Gage was around retirement age now but I didn't know how old-- 65? 80? I didn't know.

And then oneequestrienne took Gage's age at death, some (again purportedly public) details about the victims and did some math, that's all.
          Public information from Safesport:: multiple victims came forward and the evidence was serious enough to support a lifetime ban.
          Public information from Hillary Ridland: RG’s abuse started when she was 13. Four other victims stood up with her Saturday after the Grand Prix at The Oaks. Rob was in his late 20s and 30s at that time.
          Public Information from one of the obits: Rob Gage was 66 when he committed suicide.

Comment

• How is the mob reacting to this? I am not in that FB loop?

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post

Wait a sec. I'm not sure you have this right and are inferring the right thing from oneequestrienne's post.

I asked someone about their argument that "people can change" over time. And I think it's public knowledge or an established fact that everyone accepts-- both those defending Gage and those defending the action of SafeSport-- that the crimes were committed "30 or 40 years ago."

And so I asked, "OK, but just how old was Gage when those crimes were committed: old enough to know better or a kid himself?" I knew Gage was around retirement age now but I didn't know how old-- 65? 80? I didn't know.

And then oneequestrienne took Gage's age at death, some (again purportedly public) details about the victims and did some math, that's all.
              Nope...that isn't all that was posted. oneequestrienne posted information that came out yesterday, 6/23/19 about four victims coming forward, one saying she was 13 at the time.

We all have varying levels of attention to what we read. I've certainly read things incorrectly on this thread... We all also recount what was posted in different ways...For instance, Virginia Horse Mom took this:

Originally posted by oneequestrienne
              Four victims came forward yesterday one of whom was a victim at 13.. There are others younger than 17.
              and turned it into this:

Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom
              Having sexual contact with multiple 13 year olds is a pattern of behavior.
              It's neither here nor there because contact with ANY 13 yr. olds is abhorrent. But for those of us that desire accuracy, it becomes a sticking point. Not because it's justification of anything, but because embellishment is "lying" to us...and we write off that person completely, becoming unable to 'hear' anything further from them.

I. thankfully, had the opportunity to learn that is just how some people are wired. It was during a professional team building activity and I had a lightbulb moment on why I had a problem with a colleague. They didn't have the same tie to absolute accuracy that I do. They focused on high level and would embellish/exaggerate, not to obfuscate, but because that's how they see things. Bright, shiny, new is more important than accuracy.

There ARE cases of 'telephone' on this thread...and it creates confusion and unnecessary drama... And some of the drama is because we focus on different things.
              Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
              Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

Wow, that is a very different set of facts than what has been presented previously. Are you a Safesport insider? It seems like you are privy to different facts than many people have heard.
                Just because it’s on Facebook doesn’t mean it’s true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

Just because it’s on Facebook doesn’t mean it’s true.
                  That's not quite fair. It is different information than has been posted previously...or at least it's adding new details to vague reports.

Why not choose to be kind rather than nasty?

Comment

• Originally posted by RugBug View Post

That's not quite fair. It is different information than has been posted previously...or at least it's adding new details to vague reports.

Why not choose to be kind rather than nasty?
                    How was that nasty? I’m sorry but if people tried to debate current events when it was open on this forum using Facebook as proof that wouldn’t fly.

Comment

Nope...that isn't all that was posted. oneequestrienne posted information that came out yesterday, 6/23/19 about four victims coming forward, one saying she was 13 at the time.

We all have varying levels of attention to what we read. I've certainly read things incorrectly on this thread... We all also recount what was posted in different ways...For instance, Virginia Horse Mom took this:

and turned it into this:

It's neither here nor there because contact with ANY 13 yr. olds is abhorrent. But for those of us that desire accuracy, it becomes a sticking point. Not because it's justification of anything, but because embellishment is "lying" to us...and we write off that person completely, becoming unable to 'hear' anything further from them.

I. thankfully, had the opportunity to learn that is just how some people are wired. It was during a professional team building activity and I had a lightbulb moment on why I had a problem with a colleague. They didn't have the same tie to absolute accuracy that I do. They focused on high level and would embellish/exaggerate, not to obfuscate, but because that's how they see things. Bright, shiny, new is more important than accuracy.

There ARE cases of 'telephone' on this thread...and it creates confusion and unnecessary drama... And some of the drama is because we focus on different things.
                      I should have corrected that statement. Multiple victims not multiple 13 year olds was what I said.
                      Hillary Ridland stated that she was 13 at the time. Another of the women who came forward was 14 at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

How was that nasty? I’m sorry but if people tried to debate current events when it was open on this forum using Facebook as proof that wouldn’t fly.
                        Because Horsegirl's Mom could have never been to facebook and still posted exactly what she did.

Reading this thread, you get the idea that oneequestrienne has more information than most on the RG situation. New details were just added to this thread, including confirmation that one of the accusers was very young. That adds to the facts known (previously it was stated by oneequestrienne, but from no official source).

Your implication is that she's not savvy enough (too stupid is another way to say that) to understand that what she reads on FB isn't necessarily true. But she wouldn't have even needed to be on FB at all. (BTW - COTH doesn't have a corner on truth...just less trolls so it's easier to discern the situation)

Comment

• Originally posted by endlessclimb View Post

*zips flame suit*

Let me take this one step farther.

You aren't harnessing nuclear fission. You aren't solving climate change. You aren't helping the starving children secure a clean water and food source. You aren't coordinating or executing space missions. You aren't developing an alternate energy source. You aren't curing cancer.

No matter who these guys/gals are. No matter how good they are at their job. No matter how impactful they are to you personally.

THEY. TRAIN. HORSES. AND. RIDERS.

They are NOBODIES in the grand, global scheme of things. Their contributions will NEVER be earth shattering, no matter how great. Their expertise is so narrow that it is literally meaningless to 99.9% of the earth.
                          I honestly don't think it matters what a person does for a living. Solves climate change, mucks stalls. None of it matters. Our behavior towards others on this Earth is what defines us. And it's why I think this is causing so much mud slinging. Because in this case, we have a complex and flawed person who did a lot of good and as we are learning, a lot of harm.

Rob Gage might have taught me a lot about horses, a lot about hard work, never once taken advantage of me even if I paraded around in copped tops and cut offs under my chaps (). It makes me nauseous but I know I would have LOVED any attention as a randy and misguided 16 year old.

But it is clear to me, someone who initially defended him, that he misused his position of power against other young riders. It doesn't really matter when. I don't even think it really matters how old they were, just that they were minors. Just because I didn't experience it spending time with him up close, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have deep sympathy for those he hurt and am humbled by their courage to come forward. I know I wouldn't be strong enough to do it. Especially with all this mud slinging online.

The lessons he taught me about horses and life are still mine to keep. I would encourage those who were positively impacted by Rob to honor him by practicing those good lessons. But you must also make peace with the fact that he did a lot of harm to several others and that we as a sport need to do better to protect the vulnerable. It doesn't mean you don't have compassion for him, or those he left behind, etc. But we have GOT to stand by the victims.

This process is very painful for a lot of people. And I wish there were a way to give folks more transparency without endangering the victims.

I have sympathy for folks who do this for a living and feel what's on the SafeSport website is a bit light in details. I don't think that people who are nervous are automatically abusers themselves. I just think that some of them don't have confidence that a vindictive person couldn't ruin their business using SafeSport. We have to find a way to assure people that is unlikely to happen. I don't know if that's making an example of times where the investigations demonstrated the accusations were unfounded or what, but something so people in this industry can feel safe that if they keep their hands to themselves and behave morally, that they will be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

Wow, that is a very different set of facts than what has been presented previously. Are you a Safesport insider? It seems like you are privy to different facts than many people have heard.
                            I have been assuming she is connected to victims.
                            You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Because Horsegirl's Mom could have never been to facebook and still posted exactly what she did.

Reading this thread, you get the idea that oneequestrienne has more information than most on the RG situation. New details were just added to this thread, including confirmation that one of the accusers was very young. That adds to the facts known (previously it was stated by oneequestrienne, but from no official source).

Your implication is that she's not savvy enough (too stupid is another way to say that) to understand that what she reads on FB isn't necessarily true. But she wouldn't have even needed to be on FB at all. (BTW - COTH doesn't have a corner on truth...just less trolls so it's easier to discern the situation)
                              If that’s how you read it fine. I’m not going to argue.

Comment

• Someone up thread said the victims came forward yesterday at the oaks show after the grand Prix. Unbelievable bravery to the victims.
                                Did anyone notice the memes that lawyer BN posted on fb yesterday? I hope they weren’t ment for the victims. That would be very sad.
                                We all need to stand behind victims and their bravery to helping clean up this sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by AllOverFarm View Post
                                  Someone up thread said the victims came forward yesterday at the oaks show after the grand Prix. Unbelievable bravery to the victims.
                                  Did anyone notice the memes that lawyer BN posted on fb yesterday? I hope they weren’t ment for the victims. That would be very sad.
                                  We all need to stand behind victims and their bravery to helping clean up this sport.
                                  What were they? Sounds like more scare tactics. I'm so glad those women came forward.
                                  Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

I have been assuming she is connected to victims.
                                    She is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

What were they? Sounds like more scare tactics. I'm so glad those women came forward.
                                      Religious and being taken out of context

Comment

• One said-“ I love listening to lies when I know the truth”
                                        another was-“ No need to explain yourself, God knows what happened and that’s all that important. No matter what everyone else says.”
                                        Another-“ Before you tell something make sure you’re telling the whole truth not your version of the truth. Others may not know, but God does.”

i just found it strange these sayings or memes were posted yesterday. Same day as the victims coming forward.

I really hope it has nothing to do with the victims. They are hero’s in my eyes.

Comment

• I think it is incredibly, incredibly brave for anyone to come forward and identify themselves as an accuser and victim, considering all that's been said.

I am simply in awe of that courage.
                                          The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

Working...
                                          X